PDA

View Full Version : Aliexpress, any experience with this company?

Tony
04-06-2018, 12:21 PM
These look like Oakley Jawbreakers and have good reviews. Anyone here have experience with this company and their products?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Polarized-UV-Protection-Cycling-Sunglasses-Bicycle-Bike-Sports-Sun-Glasses-Goggles-with-4-Interchangeable-Lenses-Unbreakable/32790219466.html

Someone comparing the real with the fake, but no comparison on the lens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy10_v-3Sp4

cdimattio
04-06-2018, 12:27 PM
I think the clarification would be that the Company/Vendor is the "Sports Zone" from what I can see in the link.

Aliexpress is a Chinese marketplace akin to eBay.

jemoryl
04-06-2018, 12:55 PM
I'm sure those are not real Oakleys, but they may be OK if you don't have a problem buying knockoffs. Personally, I think the 'optical quality' issue with glasses is overstated, in that it isn't that hard to make a plain piece of polycarbonate with decent optical quality. It is often the frames that disappoint.

Having said that I've bought some bike stuff off aliexpress and it was fine, exactly as described (CF bottle cages, BB tools). Don't expect quick delivery if you use standard shipping.

dddd
04-06-2018, 03:35 PM
I found what I thought was the lowest price for a particular mountainbike fork on AliExpress, but I later found out that the internal damper was of an inferior quality level to the U.S. market spec fork.

There is also the issue of the U.S.-based supplier wanting nothing to do with such "grey-market" forks. Though the parts are interchangeable they no doubt recognize that the liability cost of forks brought in from foreign markets have not been fully paid for in terms of the added liability cost involved with U.S. market products (a considerable cost it is). So they offer no support that might be used as proof of their liability for such items.

Product descriptions on AliExpress are often even worse than on Amazon.
There are also language issues and shipping issues, not to mention the possibly prohibitive cost to return certain items if they fall short of expectations.

AliExpress is from what I understand a Chinese government initiative to increase foreign trade, and has huge gross revenue. But product dumping to secure market share seems to curtail their vendor's net profit.

dbnm
04-06-2018, 03:45 PM
I would avoid 99% of the bike items on that site.

You get what you pay for.

KarlC
04-06-2018, 04:06 PM
As far as sunglasses go I bought these for $20 on a whim, they are really nice. They came with POC logos on them just like the real POC sunglasses, I wish they did not have the POC logo as they are not POC.

Still they are really nice, lots of choices on Amazon also .....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJPGRQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cadence90
04-06-2018, 04:07 PM
Didn't Jack Ma start the AliBaba/AliExpress empire and become one of the wealthiest persons in the world ($42B and counting) by selling sex toys, etc?

NTTAWT, I guess, but I wouldn't buy bike components from AliExpress. Stuff like reflectors, shoelaces, etc., maybe, but I-really-need-it-to-work-today-out-on-the-road-stuff? :no: way.

Tony
04-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the warning. While doing a search on the Jawbreakers I came across this site. Only interested in the sunglasses. Unlike bikes, components, helmets and don't put money into sunglasses for cycling, buy 3-4 pair from Walmart every year, under $10.00 ea.
Recently tried a pair of Jawbreakers, liked the optics, coverage and fit, thinking maybe get a couple of these Cooloh's from this place, tempted.

suissecheese
04-06-2018, 04:28 PM
I’ve ordered a few things from AliExpress. It’s very hit or miss, but sunglasses are great for the cost. I’ve used some Oakley and 100% glasses and they work great. The frame finish isn’t like a real pair of Oakley, but functionally they work great. I do a lot of night time commuting so the fact that they come with clear and yellow lenses is the main reason I got them.

The misses have been bells that don’t work, and a $40 experiment with carbon bar and stem. I never ended up using them as both components flexed way to much for me to trust them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rePhil
04-06-2018, 04:41 PM
My take.I will not cheap out on eyewear. I was crashed by a distracted driver. One of the injuries was 30 plus sutures around the eye and into my ear caused by the arm and frame when my face met the road. My eye itself was unscathed. The lens clearly shows where it was dragged on the asphalt. The lens remained intact. I believe my glasses saved my eye from the road. They were Oakleys.

Shoeman
04-06-2018, 08:15 PM
I've had good luck with these knockoffs. I bought 2 sets one for me & one for a friend. You get an extra lens & they are cheaper.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polarized-Outdoor-Cycling-Men-Sport-Bicycle-Sunglasses-Eyewear-Glasses-5-Lens/192097538728?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=491994116772&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

dbnm
04-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Here you go
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jawbreaker-Sunglasses-Black-Chrome-Iridium-Polarized-Night-driver-w-acc/123063123323?hash=item1ca7223d7b:g:u~sAAOSwNGRax~I t

These look like Oakley Jawbreakers and have good reviews. Anyone here have experience with this company and their products?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Polarized-UV-Protection-Cycling-Sunglasses-Bicycle-Bike-Sports-Sun-Glasses-Goggles-with-4-Interchangeable-Lenses-Unbreakable/32790219466.html

Someone comparing the real with the fake, but no comparison on the lens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy10_v-3Sp4

pasadena
04-06-2018, 10:06 PM
people cry about makers knocking off paintjobs, and how expensive bikes or parts are... then go out and buy knockoffs.

if you want cheap glasses, buy cheap glasses. nothing wrong with it. lots of good ones out there.
if you want jawbreakers, buy Oakleys. If you want POC's, buy POC.

I'm sure you could buy a knock off Firefly or anything else but damn...
How does anyone stay in business when authenticity means nothing to people.

And yeah, you get what you pay for.
that's my rant for today.

pasadena
04-06-2018, 10:08 PM
I can tell from the photos they are fake

Here you go
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jawbreaker-Sunglasses-Black-Chrome-Iridium-Polarized-Night-driver-w-acc/123063123323?hash=item1ca7223d7b:g:u~sAAOSwNGRax~I t

Tony
04-07-2018, 11:30 AM
people cry about makers knocking off paintjobs, and how expensive bikes or parts are... then go out and buy knockoffs.

if you want cheap glasses, buy cheap glasses. nothing wrong with it. lots of good ones out there.
if you want jawbreakers, buy Oakleys. If you want POC's, buy POC.

I'm sure you could buy a knock off Firefly or anything else but damn...
How does anyone stay in business when authenticity means nothing to people.

And yeah, you get what you pay for.
that's my rant for today.

A moral Issue?
With knockoffs there is no intent to deceive, counterfeit on the other hand is intent to deceive. Knockoffs are lookalikes "Cooloh's" being sold for less, in this case $200 less with surprisingly high quality, rave reviews!

I look at these as a excellent cheap worry free pair of glasses. Is it really stealing revenue from a company if I would never buy a pair of over priced Jawbreakers? I don't think so.

charliedid
04-07-2018, 11:40 AM
A moral Issue?
With knockoffs there is no intent to deceive, counterfeit on the other hand is intent to deceive. Knockoffs are lookalikes being sold for less, in this case $200 less with surprisingly high quality, rave reviews!

I look at these as a excellent cheap worry free pair of glasses. Is it really stealing revenue from a company if I would never buy a pair of over priced Jawbreakers? I don't think so.

Sorry, stealing intellectual property is theft. Look-a-likes are one thing but if you copy the product design and add the orig. manufacturer's logo it is theft plain and simple.

Davist
04-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Sorry, stealing intellectual property is theft. Look-a-likes are one thing but if you copy the product design and add the orig. manufacturer's logo it is theft plain and simple.

yep. why invest in R&D when it just gets stolen? Not to mention the issues with vendors not standing behind products (eg: don't buy the cheapest "UL" phone chargers on Amazon, they'll cause fires, and Amazon don't care). As above, you can get cheap (enough) Smiths (~$50 with some patience for 3 lens pivlock version, which I use) or Home Depot safety glasses that may actually protect you from UV or have some minimum degree of impact resistance or ya takes ya chance... not worth the savings of $X to me, as I've had the scratched (not shattered) lens after being hit.

Tony
04-07-2018, 12:58 PM

I agree, the copied logo, theft.

Tony
04-07-2018, 01:08 PM
yep. why invest in R&D when it just gets stolen? Not to mention the issues with vendors not standing behind products (eg: don't buy the cheapest "UL" phone chargers on Amazon, they'll cause fires, and Amazon don't care). As above, you can get cheap (enough) Smiths (~$50 with some patience for 3 lens pivlock version, which I use) or Home Depot safety glasses that may actually protect you from UV or have some minimum degree of impact resistance or ya takes ya chance... not worth the savings of $X to me, as I've had the scratched (not shattered) lens after being hit.

Every pair of cheap sunglasses I've purchased will not shatter after being hit. Once my glasses are scratched I retire them. Before they go into the trash I take a hammer and see what happens to the lens, never shatter, only deform.

NHAero
07-19-2022, 01:04 PM
Resurrecting this zombie thread. Just ordered a full set of Atop fasteners for my Luck shoes. Wish they used Boa fasteners, would be easy to find replacements in the US!

NHAero
08-06-2022, 06:52 PM
Resurrecting this zombie thread. Just ordered a full set of Atop fasteners for my Luck shoes. Wish they used Boa fasteners, would be easy to find replacements in the US!

Stuff showed up in less than two weeks. If they are knockoffs they are really good ones! No confirmation or shipping notification or tracking number.