PDA

View Full Version : Minimalism & Cycling

MattTuck
04-06-2018, 09:38 AM
Not sure if any of you use firefox as a browser. I do, and since the last big update, they now show little links to news articles in new tabs that get opened. (It is part of their monetization strategy, but we won't get into that here). Anyway, today had a link to an article about minimalism and it got me thinking.

Is cycling fundamentally at odds with a minimal lifestyle?

If you are a semi serious cyclist, you probably need a minimum of 30 or 40 things in addition to your actual bike, just to get out on the road. If you do have any desire to be more minimalistic, I think it is much more about finding the equilibrium point between the bare minimum and the natural phenomenon of acquiring more stuff.

It is funny, because once you are out there on the bike, the experience is very minimal in the sense that you are out there and it is just you and the bike, and the rest of the 'stuff' sort of melts away.

veggieburger
04-06-2018, 09:46 AM

If you are a semi serious cyclist, you probably need a minimum of 30 or 40 things in addition to your actual bike, just to get out on the road. If you do have any desire to be more minimalistic, I think it is much more about finding the equilibrium point between the bare minimum and the natural phenomenon of acquiring more stuff.

It is funny, because once you are out there on the bike, the experience is very minimal in the sense that you are out there and it is just you and the bike, and the rest of the 'stuff' sort of melts away.

Hey Matt, I don't think it has to be at odds. When I think about my first bike, first bike rides, etc, it was pure joy on the back of a $10 bike in my shorts and running shoes. Obviously that has changed.

For minimalist friends who want to get into the sport, I always recommend one good bike (usually a cross bike for double duty, lots of light trails and gravel around here), an approved helmet and a good pair of shorts and shoes. Better to have one pair of great shorts than 3 pairs of crummy ones IMO...don't ignore your contact points. This will get you happily on the road. Aside from that, evolve as needed.

bobswire
04-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Not sure if any of you use firefox as a browser. I do, and since the last big update, they now show little links to news articles in new tabs that get opened. (It is part of their monetization strategy, but we won't get into that here). Anyway, today had a link to an article about minimalism and it got me thinking.

I think it's more about the DIY aspect about cycling that is minimalistic as compared to a car (not to even get into the carbon footprint). I might use my car once a week if that, most of my mileage is cycling and most of my purchases for my cycling activity is second hand, especially clothing. I do all my own wrenching so my tool investment has paid for itself. Since I pretty much live on my SSI, savings and side jobs I do on bikes I've adopted a very minimalistic lifestyle and beyond friends or family, the vast majority of my life, health and diet revolves around cycling.

kppolich
04-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Agree and disagree that cycling is a minimalist activity.

I love riding my bike, but I'm also prepared to do the work to maintain it and know what I need to have a safe and successful 1-3 hour ride. Now, for someone riding around the block you just need a bike and a helmet to get started. But eventually the tires will get low on air and you will need a pump. Eventually those tires will go bald or you will get a flat and you will need a new tire or tube.

It is nice to have the right tool for the job, but again- it's probably not your job to ride a bike if you are on this forum. Let the pro's with sponsors who pay for 5 bikes and kit have it all, or if you have nothing but time and money go for it!

All this being said, I still cringe when some of my friends say they want to get a bike and ride with me. Ugh, you want to ride in the heat? snow? mud? rain? Deep in the paincave! Or do you just want to ride around town for a while and grab some food and a beer. If the later, borrow my extra bike and you can use it the 1-3 times you are actually going to ride and won't have to store, maintain, or buy a bunch of water bottles, cages, socks, chamois shorts, and pedals, cleats, shoes, pump, tires, tubes, lube, etc to just ride around town.

OtayBW
04-06-2018, 10:11 AM
If you are a semi serious cyclist, you probably need a minimum of 30 or 40 things in addition to your actual bike, just to get out on the road. If you do have any desire to be more minimalistic, I think it is much more about finding the equilibrium point between the bare minimum and the natural phenomenon of acquiring more stuff.For me, it's called 'enough'. I'm just kind of stable in what I have and what I need. Aside from the normal kit, including both cold and warm season, it's probably been 2 years since I bought a jersey or bibs, or most anything I can think of (OK, I bought a used, $20 Nitto Noodle at a bike swap recently....). I can't think of anywhere near 30-40 things I need in order to get out (?), or a lot of other things that I need to accumulate. I have the vast majority of what I need and what works. The curve has flattened, and I am more or less only looking at replacing things as needed - unless that N+1 comes along, that is!....:cool:

One of the best things about cycling for me is its simple elegance and efficiency - both in execution and philosophy. I hate to muck that up with a lot of baggage and crap.

Michael Maddox
04-06-2018, 10:19 AM
I don't think cycling, as it generally is portrayed on this forum, is conducive to minimalism. You can certainly ride bikes with a minimalist lifestyle, but not when you're fascinated with the machine for its own sake.

I've thought about the minimalist lifestyle for quite some time. I think there is a personality type with which minimalism agrees, a personality that revels primarily in experience. This is not to say that the OTHER personality types don't revel in experience at all...but the minimalist seeks to maximize experience of a different quality.

I am NOT the minimalist personality. As an artist and engineer at heart, I am fascinated by machinery and design. There's something beautiful about bicycles...a fascinating interplay of comparatively simple parts that creates the fastest human-powered vehicle that we possess. I feel much the same way about musical instruments (and I own a studio full of them), buildings (despite a degree in pure mathematics, I went to school for architecture), recording equipment, computers...pretty much anything requiring a high amount of technical skill to design, build, and use. As such, I also surround myself with books about these subjects. I like to experience a new machine, to push it, to live with it...and this sort of desire is antithetical to minimalism.

This, again, is NOT to say there's no great deal of overlap in personalities and traits. I just think some of us like STUFF. Recognizing when stuff starts getting in the way, that's the issue. How do you keep yourself from becoming far too materialistic, far too much of a hoarder? I've sold quite a few bikes in the past year, a good bit of studio gear, and I've stopped buying books. I won't ever be a minimalist, but I'm making myself more comfortable with the stuff I own...if it's not being used or displayed, it's going out. As such, I am becoming MORE minimalist in my nature and finding more time to revel in the experiences I have WITH the stuff...but no, I'll never become minimalist.

I'm okay with that. And I think that's the key, finding your own satisfaction.

sparky33
04-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Minimalism is simple where the weather never changes. It would be much easier to achieve in this part of the country if the weather sucked in only one way.

fwiw, minimalism is essentially about being unbothered by compromises.

cinco
04-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Cycling as it's being considered here, on this forum, represents a small fraction of the cycling human beings on the planet. I think that there is a very large portion of cycling population for which "minimalism" certainly describes. It is very easy for me to lose sight of that in my isolated bubble of racing friends.
The super-austere minimalist "movement", if it may be called that, could easily find use for a simple bicycle, shorts and, arguably, tennis shoes.

Andy in Houston

deechee
04-06-2018, 10:32 AM
This is where I love the shared bike programs like bixi/citibike. I literally walk over to a stand, throw my bag onto the rack and bike. I don't care about flat tires, sometimes I don't have my helmet with me etc. I just get out and ride, wearing my normal clothes. Maybe that's also why I feel like a kid on it sometimes. The bike doesn't fit right but I'm having fun.

benb
04-06-2018, 10:34 AM
All the minimalist guys seem to need to have an iPad, iPhone, and MacBook to be minimal because half of their minimal lifestyle is living in social media and trying to use that to replace real life/real experiences.

If you were to think of the impact of some of the items you own a bicycle is far more minimalist than those apple devices. The # of people working to build you those computer devices, the amount of environmental degradation required to mine all the materials, the waste of the constant upgrade cycle and electronic waste... there is no reason bicycles can't be way more minimalistic than that.

No one says you have to aspire to own 25+ bikes like some of the collectors here. Even if you own 5 that is minimalistic compared to owning a motorboat or a 2nd home or something instead. If the minimal guy doesn't own a car that is a great start, but if he flies on airlines all the time that doesn't help since that airplane can practically burn more fuel in one trip than you'll burn your entire lifetime of driving a car.

I have 3 bikes.. but choosing bicycling as opposed to lots of other activities could be seen as minimal because by going out and riding you're bike you're replacing other activities which have a higher impact on the world.

Depends on how you see minimal though, there is "minimalist impact" and there is "minimal is just defined as # of items you own".

sparky33
04-06-2018, 10:37 AM
also minimalism goes hand in hand with a frugal existence (unless you are blogging about it an not counting your iOS hoard). Cycling can be a cheap way to get around and to get exercise.

d_douglas
04-06-2018, 10:42 AM
When I bought my Speedvagen years ago, I deliberately chose not to put a computer on it. I also only have one water bottle, as I have determined that this is what I need.

As for N+, I have too many and feel that it is unnecessary sometimes - a FS bike a hardtail, a CX bike, a road bike and a ti CX commuter that is nicer than most peoples nicest bikes.

I could sell off my CX and one MTB and not be any worse off.

Luwabra
04-06-2018, 10:42 AM
I’m attempting to put this together. A minimalistic bike that can go on any road and I don’t need special shoes, clothes , pedals, electronics, etc. I hate spending time getting ready to ride a bike or choosing one on external conditions etc. 1 bike ready for anything at any time

sparky33
04-06-2018, 10:43 AM
I could sell off my CX and one MTB and not be any worse off.

but would you be any better off?

Ken Robb
04-06-2018, 10:54 AM
I’m attempting to put this together. A minimalistic bike that can go on any road and I don’t need special shoes, clothes , pedals, electronics, etc. I hate spending time getting ready to ride a bike or choosing one on external conditions etc. 1 bike ready for anything at any time

Grant Petersen has been espousing this for YEARS and selling bikes and equipment to make it possible.

caleb
04-06-2018, 10:55 AM
All the minimalist guys seem to need to have an iPad, iPhone, and MacBook to be minimal because half of their minimal lifestyle is living in social media and trying to use that to replace real life/real experiences.

This made me chuckle, but there does seem to be a lot of truth in it.

I think the most minimal I've ever been was living in a shared 200 sqft dorm in college. Two guys, two road bikes, no problem.

The point made above about compromises was true, though. Neither of us had much in the way of cycling-specific clothes, and we had some uncomfortable rides as a result. And most serious bike maintenance went to the shop since our tools consisted of tire levers and allen wrenches.

This was all before social media, so maybe we were minimal before minimal was a thing. The experience made me grateful for a closet full of cycling clothes, and a garage with tools and spares.

54ny77
04-06-2018, 10:56 AM
the staggering amount of crap associated with having 1 or more bikes is, in a word, staggering.

i'm trying to "deleverage" myself, whittle things down to just a few bikes.

that aside, bike reduction doesn't even come close to moving the needle on the spare parts i have sitting around, let alone a boatload of tools, various accessories, kit (clothing for 3 seasons), trainer, and on & on...

for example, i have a box containing about 15 chains. yes, 15. got 'em on sale for killer deal, who could resist such a bargain (the one box cost less than the same price as 1 of the same chain at full retail). yet.....it's a box....taking up space in a closet...that contains 15 chains. that is not minimal. :bike:

benb
04-06-2018, 11:16 AM
This was all before social media, so maybe we were minimal before minimal was a thing. The experience made me grateful for a closet full of cycling clothes, and a garage with tools and spares.

Sometimes it seems like the top occupation for minimalists is being a social media personality who talks about minimalism in social media.

There are a lot of poor people around the world who live very minimally.

cadence90
04-06-2018, 11:23 AM
I don't think that activities per se are minimal or not. It all is dependent on the core philosophy of the person practicing the act.

So, to name just one person discussed here recently, I think Lael Wilcox might be a true minimalist while perhaps not being labelled as such. And she probably doesn't care either way.

On the other hand, the self-labelled ex-6-figure guys behind, in front of, and next to the entire "The Minimalists" book/film/tour/swag/etc./lifestyle monetization shilling onslaught (one can now even pay extra for bonus interviews! :rolleyes: )...not so much imo.

93KgBike
04-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Grant Petersen has been espousing this for YEARS and selling bikes and equipment to make it possible.

If you only had one bike, that would be the bike you rode everywhere. (https://youtu.be/22aoH696Eig)

Grant Petersen can't innovate what's obvious.

In general, we are being sold the idea of how we are limited from self-realization by having bought too much, not enough, or the wrong thing. Minimalism is just another product.

I may own 20 bikes, but I own zero self-delusions. :banana:

spacemen3
04-06-2018, 01:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Minimalism doesn't mean limiting the number of bikes you own.
Rather, it refers to riding unencumbered by the non-essential "essentials" (e.g., computers, racks, bags, clothing layers, etc.). ;)

johnmdesigner
04-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Bike:
2 Tires,
4 Tubes,
Set Allen,
Tire Irons,
1x Cassette,
1x Chain,
Bike Stand
Pump,
Oil.

Human:
Helmet,
Glasses,
Jersey,
Base Layer,
Bibs,
Socks,
Shoes,
2x Bottle
1x Cleats

Now multiply all those by 10 and you have my house.

BobbyJones
04-06-2018, 02:33 PM
After subconsciously being a "semi-minimalist" for my entire life I've been consciously working towards a "minimalist" lifestyle the past few years.

Post-college years was out of necessity. Living a few months here and there at a time, If it didn't fit in my Subaru station wagon I didn't own it. It kind of stuck when I settled into a smallish apartment in NYC. Bikes and sports gear we're always the overflow areas.

As an adult, It's become a little more philosophical, especially the past few years. With cycling as lifestyle, I always advocated having a backup of a backup. Flat tire on your way out the door? Just grab another bike from the quiver! Drive train making noise? Replace with one of the crankset / cluster / chains I've hoarded. Jersey smelling funny? Pick one of the 20 in the closet and get moving.

That was up until about 4 years ago. I did an experiment where I lived on my Brompton for a few months. Clothes, Laptop, etc. Like touring, except I went to work everyday and had a roof over my head at night. It was an eye-opener with what I "really" needed to enjoy cycling (and life).

Since then, I'm down to 4 bikes but only one really gets ridden. I spent last year as a "year without lycra" , riding everyday in a pair of $25 casual shorts and T-shirts, or jeans and a single Ibex pullover when cold. The parts bin is getting smaller and impulse buys are mostly non-existent.

As a result, this part of my life has become incredibly simple and much more enjoyable. I stopped buying "new and improved" just because it's "new and improved". It's not a mission. I don't preach or brag about it. I just do it. This is probably the most I've talked about it.

I still like looking at gear, and like everyone, have some quirks. But overall, my experience with focusing less on "stuff" (and accepting it) has shifted my life for the better.

Mikej
04-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Maximalism is a better term- I love everything bike - tools shoes socks bottles stands raceing traveling -

grognaak
04-06-2018, 03:02 PM
What a luxury to wonder if one possesses too much bike equipment.

adub
04-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Without people buying too much crap they don't need with loose credit the economy as we know it doesn't work.

No shame in being passionate about a pastime like cycling, working hard and owning a few (6 actually) nice bikes.

d_douglas
04-06-2018, 11:37 PM
but would you be any better off?

Well, fewer things to clutter my space and mind. I am a minimalist in most ways (which clashes with my wife’s ‘maximalism’ ethos) so bicycles are really the only thing that I am excessive about and that is my sole justification .

GOTHBROOKS
04-06-2018, 11:58 PM

joosttx
04-07-2018, 12:19 AM
Back in graduate school when all I had was a dog my entire life could fit into the bed of a toyota tacoma pickup truck with a camper shell including my mountain bike (air matress and all). Honestly, if my wife threw my out, I think all my possessions would still fit in that truck bed less a hifi system and a couple of bikes.

dogrange
04-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Back in graduate school when all I had was a dog my entire life could fit into the bed of a toyota tacoma pickup truck with a camper shell including my mountain bike (air matress and all). Honestly, if my wife threw my out, I think all my possessions would still fit in that truck bed less a hifi system and a couple of bikes.

That all you got? Well when I was back in dirtbag times, my entire life fit in the back of a ‘76 Honda Civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louis
04-07-2018, 01:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k&t=13s

dgauthier
04-07-2018, 04:09 AM
(...) If you are a semi serious cyclist, you probably need a minimum of 30 or 40 things in addition to your actual bike, just to get out on the road. (...)

How are you dealing with 30 to 40 things to go on a ride? Even if I count shoes, socks, tubes and such individually, I can't get anywhere near 30:

- floor pump
- helmet
- glasses
- jersey
- bibs
- 2 socks
- 2 shoes
- cell phone
- house keys
- water bottle
- saddle bag
- 3 tubes
- 3 CO2 cartridges
- air chuck
- multi-tool

Does the saddle bag and contents count if it just hangs there and I don't touch it? Do my house keys count if I get my wife to lock the door? Should I be counting my clothes at all, since I have to wear *something*...

Should I count all my tools? If I have a spoke tension meter and dishing gauge and true my own wheels vs. having a shop do it, am I more minimalist, or less?

If I only count the things I have to actually touch when going for a ride that are above and beyond what I would touch when going for a walk, it's just a floor pump, helmet, glasses and a water bottle.

Cycling is a terrifically minimalist, low environmental impact activity. If you really want to go minimalist in a way that matters, commute on your bike.

ripvanrando
04-07-2018, 06:33 AM
Minimalism is seemingly at odds with randonneuring or real long distance self supported stuff in general because your life depends upon preparation and the stuff you bring can matter.

My approach to simplifying is to keep the "stuff" in "stuff" type sacks like the foul weather gear goes into a gallon sized ziplock freezer bag or the repair junk goes into another bag. So, I have just two items although each might have many bits and pieces inside. Packing for each ride would be maddening otherwise.

I do miss the old days of riding without a helmet with just a spare tubie to the seat rail.

joosttx
04-07-2018, 10:11 AM
That all you got? Well when I was back in dirtbag times, my entire life fit in the back of a ‘76 Honda Civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a lot of books and lets face it computers were much bigger. :)

MattTuck
04-07-2018, 10:33 AM
How are you dealing with 30 to 40 things to go on a ride? ...
Should I be counting my clothes at all, since I have to wear *something*...

Should I count all my tools? If I have a spoke tension meter and dishing gauge and true my own wheels vs. having a shop do it, am I more minimalist, or less?

If I only count the things I have to actually touch when going for a ride that are above and beyond what I would touch when going for a walk, it's just a floor pump, helmet, glasses and a water bottle.

Cycling is a terrifically minimalist, low environmental impact activity. If you really want to go minimalist in a way that matters, commute on your bike.

I'd say, yes, anything that you would take with you if you moved to a new house should be counted. I am not talking about relative minimalism, where you could argue that one set of choices is more minimal than another. Self sufficiency is at odds with minimalism. Every activity you join, whether it be running at one end of the spectrum or sailing at the other, you are committing to own additional stuff. The quantity and type may vary. Clothes, ok... good point. I was thinking of the entire wardrobe that you'd need to keep in rotation to do regular riding, along with basic tools and other gear, etc.

Yes, you have to wear something, but you could just go for a walk in street clothes, and your regular shoes. The cycling stuff is (generally) more single purpose. That would be like saying I shouldn't count skiing gear except for poles and skis, because I need to wear pants, jacket and gloves if I am outside in the winter.

I'd say, if it takes up space, and you wouldn't own it if you didn't cycle, that it should count.

Burnette
04-07-2018, 10:34 AM

This is a good topic as I fight with the concept myself at times. There are many reasons why I have old stuff, I'm cheap by nature and my budget fluctuates, so even when flush with funds I instinctively hold first, buy only after much contemplation.

I ride mainly solo but still care about time and speed. My riding time has to be scheduled with family time, so the longer the rice the earlier I leave out and the faster I need to be. I have only what I think I need to survive, food, hydration, tube (yeah, I'm still doing that) and tools, a pump, rear light and a computer.

As far as spending and being minimalist I developed a routine. After riding over forty some miles in the midst of a long ride I ask myself, "what do you need?"

The answer usually revolves around my training and fitness and not equipment, so I remember that conversation with myself later when I'm on the net looking at bike stuff.

My bike is old and could use a fresher drive chain. I'll probably replace the bike in a year or two but know that my times will roughly be the same no matter what I buy.

witcombusa
04-07-2018, 10:43 AM
I'm more of a maximalist... and wouldn't have it any other way.

"Less is more?" I like, "Less is a bore!"

That said cycling can be as minimalist as you make it.

choke
04-07-2018, 11:02 AM
"You only truly own what you can carry on your back at a dead run." - unknown

belopsky
04-07-2018, 11:15 AM

I totally have bought into it but what it means is that I have multiple bikes with platform pedals.
Oops.

Seramount
04-07-2018, 11:26 AM
excluding the bike and work stand, everything I own that's cycling-related could be put in a medium-sized duffel bag. clothing, tools, spare parts...

doesn't seem too outrageous.

in comparison, I'd need a small van to hold all my dive gear.

David Kirk
04-07-2018, 11:27 AM
I wonder how much overlap there is between "minimalism" and "simplicity"?

I'm not a minimalist but I do like living simply and the things that I own reflect this. I like not having to choose which of my 3 bikes I will ride. There is no overlap in use between my road bike, my mountain bike and my fat bike. I have 3 bikes, three pair of riding shoes and one small wardrobe that crosses over from bike to bike and use to use. I could have more bikes and more stuff to support them, and I don't judge those that do, but it's just not my thing. If I find that I own something that does not get used on a regular basis I give it away or sell it. To me it's a relief to not own it.

I personally don't like using a bike computer. I don't carry a big bag with everything I might ever need...just a mini pump and a tube. I don't carry a cell phone. I use mechanical (non-electrical) drivetrain. I enjoy the simplicity of not having to remember to bring something or charge something. It's freeing to my mind.

For me simplicity and minimalism seem to overlap a good bit. I like simplicity in my bike and my race car and my home and my greenhouse and my.......so I own lots of stuff (not minimalist) but it's lots of simple stuff.

Does that make sense?

dave

Burnette
04-07-2018, 12:03 PM
I wonder how much overlap there is between "minimalism" and "simplicity"?

I'm not a minimalist but I do like living simply and the things that I own reflect this. I like not having to choose which of my 3 bikes I will ride. There is no overlap in use between my road bike, my mountain bike and my fat bike. I have 3 bikes, three pair of riding shoes and one small wardrobe that crosses over from bike to bike and use to use. I could have more bikes and more stuff to support them, and I don't judge those that do, but it's just not my thing. If I find that I own something that does not get used on a regular basis I give it away or sell it. To me it's a relief to not own it.

I personally don't like using a bike computer. I don't carry a big bag with everything I might ever need...just a mini pump and a tube. I don't carry a cell phone. I use mechanical (non-electrical) drivetrain. I enjoy the simplicity of not having to remember to bring something or charge something. It's freeing to my mind.

For me simplicity and minimalism seem to overlap a good bit. I like simplicity in my bike and my race car and my home and my greenhouse and my.......so I own lots of stuff (not minimalist) but it's lots of simple stuff.

Does that make sense?

dave

I think it's about three things, environment, income and personal perspective. I came from very humble beginnings and have amassed more than I ever thought possible. I also was fortunate enough to travel through work and got to spend two weeks in Trinidad. I could relate to their situations. The people I worked with there didn't have much but were really happy. They didn't need much and if we're honest none of us do. What is truly minimalist I would wager is foreign to most.

I live in NC in race country and have friends and neighbors who race dirt tracks , asphalt track, drag race and such and let me tell you, you can have a simple operation but it's expensive and by minimalistic standards all are excessive. And expensive in time spent doing it too.

Horses, I'm surrounded by farms and quite a few horse stables. It's been cold here lately and you see the horses with "jackets". Again, horses are exorbitantly expensive even when cut to the bare minimum.

Minimalism can be defined my each of us by our own metric, but under the true spirit of minimalism we are far from that notion. And there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy what you have to the full at whatever condition you are in.

There is no special reward for collecting less stuff although punishment can be had for having too much! We each get to decide where the line is drawn based on environment, income and perspective.

David Kirk
04-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Well stated. I do not in any way wish to draw a line and say that anyone who has more stuff than I do is bad and anyone with less should get more. It's taken decades but I finally understand my own desires and can more or less make them come true.

Like you I've seen life from both sides of the fence and I find that my experience of being a very young man, out on my own, with nothing to my name and nearly nothing to fall back on has put the rest of life in perspective. I feel just as blessed to have had the experience of being penniless as I do to now not worrying about where my next meal comes from and having a roof over my head. And the fact that I get to ride a nice bike most days at the time of my choosing is a big red bow on it all.

Thank you.

dave

I think it's about three things, environment, income and personal perspective. I came from very humble beginnings and have amassed more than I ever thought possible. I also was fortunate enough to travel through work and got to spend two weeks in Trinidad. I could relate to their situations. The people I worked with there didn't have much but were really happy. They didn't need much and if we're honest none of us do. What is truly minimalist I would wager is foreign to most.

I live in NC in race country and have friends and neighbors who race dirt tracks , asphalt track, drag race and such and let me tell you, you can have a simple operation but it's expensive and by minimalistic standards all are excessive. And expensive in time spent doing it too.

Horses, I'm surrounded by farms and quite a few horse stables. It's been cold here lately and you see the horses with "jackets". Again, horses are exorbitantly expensive even when cut to the bare minimum.

Minimalism can be defined my each of us by our own metric, but under the true spirit of minimalism we are far from that notion. And there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy what you have to the full at whatever condition you are in.

There is no special reward for collecting less stuff although punishment can be had for having too much! We each get to decide where the line is drawn based on environment, income and perspective.

Burnette
04-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Well stated. I do not in any way wish to draw a line and say that anyone who has more stuff than I do is bad and anyone with less should get more. It's taken decades but I finally understand my own desires and can more or less make them come true.

Like you I've seen life from both sides of the fence and I find that my experience of being a very young man, out on my own, with nothing to my name and nearly nothing to fall back on has put the rest of life in perspective. I feel just as blessed to have had the experience of being penniless as I do to now not worrying about where my next meal comes from and having a roof over my head. And the fact that I get to ride a nice bike most days at the time of my choosing is a big red bow on it all.

Thank you.

dave

I too am thankful for my struggles Dave for I have perspective humility and thankfulness. Trying to pass this onto a daughter that hasn't known the struggle is my mission now. I think it's one of the most important life lessons to pass down to her.

Never forget where I came from, never forget what it took to get where I am today and keep doing that and as I look forward to new things, look back at the past and realize how far I have come.

Years ago I told a co-worker that I had won the lottery. She said, "how much did you win?" I told her it was my yearly salary. She gave me a puzzled look, then I told her that I could go into any restaurant and eat whatever I wanted. I had a family, a house, cars and some savings. I'm rich. Of course I'm not by monetary standard classifications, don't get me wrong, but to the young Burnette I was, I am.

ripvanrando
04-07-2018, 03:00 PM
I'm struggling with the notion of minimalism.

Does this qualify?

When riding your bike cross country with only one kit, you wrap the motel towel about your waist Spartacus style and mosey down to the washer and dryer attempting to arrest 5 days of stench. Two kits seems so....extra.

sitzmark
04-07-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm struggling with the notion of minimalism.

Does this qualify?

When riding your bike cross country with only one kit, you wrap the motel towel about your waist Spartacus style and mosey down to the washer and dryer attempting to arrest 5 days of stench. Two kits seems so....extra.

No. Minimalism doesn’t include motels. :)

ripvanrando
04-07-2018, 03:11 PM
No. Minimalism doesn’t include motels. :)

You guys are so hard core.

rain dogs
04-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Minimalism is dependent on context. So in that case, if the context is human mobility, surely the bicycle is the most minimalist means to move a human a large distance over a relative short period of time.

This is my context. First and foremost my bicycle is my transportation (I'm approaching 20 years having given up on car ownership), and in that context it is very minimalist.

sitzmark
04-07-2018, 03:24 PM
You guys are so hard core.

Note the smilie. The whole “minimalism thing” is beyond me. It seems to always be defined in parallel universes.

I have a friend who was telling me what a simple life he leads while we were parked in the hot tub of one of his 3 multi million $ houses. At least compared with some of his neighbors across the way I can see that ... comparatively. But not compared with the VAST majority of the world’s population. He loves the bike, and cycling and skiing are his two passions in retirement. He could live much more extravagantly, so maybe that qualifies as minimalism/simple to him. but...

If you’ve traveled in “third world” countries it is hard to talk about minimalism anything and just feel very very fortunate.

ripvanrando
04-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Note the smilie. The whole “minimalism thing” is beyond me. It seems to always be defined in parallel universes.

I have a friend who was telling me what a simple life he leads while we were parked in the hot tub of one of his 3 multi million $ houses. At least compared with some of his neighbors across the way I can see that ... comparatively. But not compared with the VAST majority of the world’s population. He loves the bike, and cycling and skiing are his two passions in retirement. He could live much more extravagantly, so maybe that qualifies as minimalism/simple to him. but...

If you’ve traveled in “third world” countries it is hard to talk about minimalism anything and just feel very very fortunate.

I've been to plenty of third world countries and have had very wealthy friends....the kind that play at Augusta or the like. I have always wanted to buy the very best and only buy it once but quality products are not as easy to find these days. I'm still on my i5. I have 4300 miles on the set of GP4ksii and they are starting to get flats frequently. My wife keeps urging me to change them. I tell her there's still a couple squeezes from that tube of toothpaste. Am I cheap or a minimalist? It just seems wrong to trash something before its time. Not a money issue. :)

rain dogs
04-07-2018, 03:45 PM

Certainly travelling and keeping informed are very valuable, but minimalism isn't synonymous with poverty, destitution or wanting. Nor being cheap or frugal.

Don't forget that minimalism comes (primarily) from the art world, which is generally luxury. Minimalism is about strucutred choice. The difficult reality of poverty, and being born into poverty, is that no one made that choice. Those are two different conversations.

Minimalism is making choices, based on a structured process, in order to explore the purest, most resonant expression of an idea, thought or execution. It's about exploring the tension of not doing the more elaborate when you have all the means to do so, instead, doing the least possible to convey an idea or explore a concept - whether with access to just tens of dollars or things or colors or shapes, or with access to millions of dollars or things or colors or shapes.

sitzmark
04-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Certainly travelling and keeping informed are very valuable, but minimalism isn't synonymous with poverty, destitution or wanting. Nor being cheap or frugal.

Agreed but minimalism imposed by necessity in many ways is the essence of creativity and doing anything/something with less. Moving about by bicycle rather than automobile can represent minimalism. For some that might mean a hand-built, multi-geared, wonderful piece of rolling art. For another it might mean a single speed, very basic bicycle that takes them from one end of a country to the other. Minimalism then needs to be defined by the individual for themself.

ripvanrando
04-07-2018, 04:04 PM

Don't forget that minimalism comes (primarily) from the art world, which is generally luxury. Minimalism is about strucutred choice. The difficult reality of poverty, and being born into poverty, is that no one made that choice. Those are two different conversations.

Minimalism is making choices, based on a structured process, in order to explore the purest, most resonant expression of an idea, thought or execution. It's about exploring the tension of not doing the more elaborate when you have all the means to do so, instead, doing the least possible to convey an idea or explore a concept - whether with access to just tens of dollars or things or colors or shapes, or with access to millions of dollars or things or colors or shapes.

So, is it like knowing going for 13 in two is no problem but just cruising with a 5 wood, 8 iron, sand wedge, one putt, and casually reaching into the hole as is the lowest way to do it? Minimal. In other words, making it look easy?

It seems to me minimalism is a guilt trip for those who haven't earned the means. Trust fund kids et al.