PDA

View Full Version : Weather...

benb
04-06-2018, 08:57 AM
Gotta admit it's really getting to me this week!

I've gotten in 40 outdoor rides in 2018... there was one week in February when it was like 60+, but I was away that week.

I've rode in less than full winter kit exactly 3 times. Getting might sick of putting on winter booties and heavy tights! I've rode my nice bike once outside.

I did 400+ miles in march, really excellent for me but the weather has been pretty atrocious. Got snowed on every single one of my "LSD" rides on the weekend. I got snowed on riding Monday (April).

It's supposed to rain/snow today with snow ending at 4AM tomorrow morning. I'm going to need to leave the house around 7AM tomorrow morning for about ~70 miles, I'm going to end up having to take my All City Space Horse with Fenders (25lbs+) and end up having to take a tail bag so I can change clothes as it's projected to be 32 degrees at the start and warm up to the upper 40s. Taking the slower bike probably slows me down 2mph, so lots of extra time.

On the plus side there isn't actually that much sand and salt on the roads. But then it's also been incredibly windy this week too!

Bring the spring please!

MattTuck
04-06-2018, 09:00 AM
It is worse 120 miles north.

I've been outside exactly once this year. It sucks.

I'd kill for one day in the 50's.

Matthew
04-06-2018, 09:17 AM
This is a terrible spring so far. It was nicer in parts of February. Two inches of snow the other day. Cold and windy today and through the weekend. 20 plus degrees below average for temps. Gonna be fat and slow until June!!!!!

bobswire
04-06-2018, 09:18 AM

I've gotten in 40 outdoor rides in 2018... there was one week in February when it was like 60+, but I was away that week.

I've rode in less than full winter kit exactly 3 times. Getting might sick of putting on winter booties and heavy tights! I've rode my nice bike once outside.

I did 400+ miles in march, really excellent for me but the weather has been pretty atrocious. Got snowed on every single one of my "LSD" rides on the weekend. I got snowed on riding Monday (April).

It's supposed to rain/snow today with snow ending at 4AM tomorrow morning. I'm going to need to leave the house around 7AM tomorrow morning for about ~70 miles, I'm going to end up having to take my All City Space Horse with Fenders (25lbs+) and end up having to take a tail bag so I can change clothes as it's projected to be 32 degrees at the start and warm up to the upper 40s. Taking the slower bike probably slows me down 2mph, so lots of extra time.

On the plus side there isn't actually that much sand and salt on the roads. But then it's also been incredibly windy this week too!

Bring the spring please!

Whoa, 400 miles in March in the snow, you're a glutton for punishment. You did more than me and I've had nothing but great riding weather. Sure we had some rain in March but still, 400 miles in snow, no way would you get me out there.

daker13
04-06-2018, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I really regret not getting out more in February when the weather was mild. Winter here took two steps backward.

benb
04-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Me too, that week in February I was in Florida walking around Disney world.

I easily could have rented a bike and put in 100-200 miles while I was down there but didn't.

I have the ability to suck up the bad weather for a certain amount of time but after a while it wears me down. E.x. I can tolerate getting outside a lot in Feb/March if I have the carrot that it's going to come to an end in April but when it's this bad it gets to my head.

joosttx
04-06-2018, 09:35 AM
Its raining in Marin :(

commonguy001
04-06-2018, 09:57 AM
I'm done with this winter but as I type this it's 16 degrees and feels like -9 with the big wind we have ripping across the state.
It's been 24 weeks since we've had a decent week of weather... completely questioning every reason why I'm still here.

bobswire
04-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Yeah, we have it so bad. ;) wink wink.

Idris Icabod
04-06-2018, 10:16 AM
It's the opposite in AZ. It is already getting hot, forecast for 96 F next week in Tucson, presumably Phoenix might hit 100!

Tickdoc
04-06-2018, 10:18 AM
Raining here today as well dammit. Hate to see a Good Friday ride day go to waste.

Warm weather is coming.:banana:

azrider
04-06-2018, 10:18 AM
I’ve already got tan lines .....

(Ducking)

unterhausen
04-06-2018, 11:45 AM
I need to get in shape, so I'm still on the trainer because that's what works best for me. The weather is annoying though. Only rides outside this year have been a 200km and 300km brevet. The 200k was fun, dodging ice patches. It did get up over 50 on that ride and over 60 on the 300k. Riding without gloves and without a runny nose was really nice

Mzilliox
04-06-2018, 11:50 AM

(Ducking)

that sounds worse than our rain for certain, heat is gross

sandyrs
04-06-2018, 11:52 AM
This spring belongs in the trash. So bad. At least there are some ridable MTB trails now, unlike a week or two ago. I've hit Horn Pond and the Western Greenway so far this week. If I can avoid road rides when it's 35 and the wind is on full blast I certainly will

saf-t
04-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Watching the snow outside my window right now. Grrrrrrrrrr.

donevwil
04-06-2018, 12:28 PM

It's raining horizontally in Sonoma County. This atmospheric river thing is pretty intense.

Black Dog
04-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Lots fo snow on the ground here today. Glad I am playing Hockey tonight and not heading out for a ride.

tv_vt
04-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Yep, it's sucked lately in the North country. Across the river from Matt Tuck, I've done a bit better, but still 17 rides total for the year so far ain't exactly getting me in shape for mid-summer adventures. Patience is wearing very, very thin right about now...

Frankwurst
04-06-2018, 01:00 PM
We've had 16 inches of snow since last Friday evening. Temps have been running 15 to 20 degrees below average for this time of year. Today is a blistering 23 degrees with wind gusts around 24+ mph wind chill puts us at 10 degrees. Nice huh?:rolleyes:

teleguy57
04-06-2018, 01:13 PM
This is a terrible spring so far. It was nicer in parts of February. Two inches of snow the other day. Cold and windy today and through the weekend. 20 plus degrees below average for temps. Gonna be fat and slow until June!!!!!

Yup; except 8 inches here Tuesday. But it was plowed right away and roads pretty much cleared off with sun/wind late yesterday, so got out for an hour on the road. Wearing lots of winter kit; one ride this year in bib knicks, everything else required the whole shebang. Think I've been out less than 10 times so far....

Snowed another inch last night and forecast is for highs below freezing through Sunday, then when it gets into the 30s some rain/flurries show up over the next week.

Oh, and June is sounding optimistic these days.

thwart
04-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Rollers in the garage?

Really?

April... the cruelest month.

kj`
04-07-2018, 12:01 AM
I agree rough spring.

Today rain,
Tomorrow it's foretasted to snow... ugh

I think this calls for new kit... doesn't get some... back to the trainer.

marciero
04-07-2018, 05:56 AM
This spring belongs in the trash. So bad. At least there are some ridable MTB trails now, unlike a week or two ago. I've hit Horn Pond and the Western Greenway so far this week. If I can avoid road rides when it's 35 and the wind is on full blast I certainly will

Wind is final insult. Yesterday we had brief respite from the five days of continuous rain and snow. Commute was precipitation-free and even sunny, sort of, but damn cold and howling headwind for 25 miles. Commute home-snow again. At least I had tailwind. Last commute before that was sleet, snow, hail.
Sunny last weekend. "Breezy" on my weather app., which means 30mph. that combined with temps in the 30's or 40's.

Even the nice days suck.

CNY rider
04-07-2018, 06:00 AM
23 F with 3 inches of fresh powder outside this morning.
Too bad the snowpack is mostly gone, would have been a spectacular day for nordic skiing.
Bicycling, not so much.

SlowPokePete
04-07-2018, 06:01 AM
I'm at 1,500+ outside miles for 2018 and yes the weather has sucked.

But I'm generally a rule follower, you know which ones apply...

SPP

ripvanrando
04-07-2018, 06:38 AM
You laddies just need to find a nice place to stop for tea

avalonracing
04-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Nasty winter in the mid-Atlantic as well. Not unbearable but just sucky. Cold, windy and damp and it won't stop. It's usually nice by now but cloudy and 40ºF here today. Again. Especially tough when you are someone who refuses to use a trainer or do Zwift because that isn't riding... it's pedaling... and I like to ride.

Hilltopperny
04-07-2018, 07:36 AM
I'm getting out a couple of times a week and plan on riding this afternoon. It snowed another 2" last night and there are still some flurries. I am way over it at this point and would like to get some weather above the 30's. Yesterday I woke up and it was 14° out!

I plan on riding 30 miles south and today is only going to be 30° for a high! I did get a 40 miler in last week when it was in the high 40's and it felt amazing!

R3awak3n
04-07-2018, 07:43 AM
/\ yep snowed here too.

I was away for 2 weeks, was 60-70 degrees where I was. No bike. Got back here and then next day it snowed. Its zwift for me, I can't deal with the ****ing cold anymore.

Hilltopperny
04-07-2018, 07:46 AM
I should have read through the comments before saying I'd be riding south as it looks like they got 3" as well...Hoping to find a clear stretch somewhere today or I'll be getting the fatbike out for a canalway trail ride instead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ripvanrando
04-07-2018, 12:43 PM
38F and kind of damp with a couple flurries. Had a PB on my 45 mile loop. No tea.

CNY rider
04-07-2018, 12:46 PM
I should have read through the comments before saying I'd be riding south as it looks like they got 3" as well...Hoping to find a clear stretch somewhere today or I'll be getting the fatbike out for a canalway trail ride instead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

At 0545 I was just making the ascent up from sleep to wakefulness.......heard this rumble outside and couldn't believe I was hearing the snowplow.
It's a fatty day down here for sure.

unterhausen
04-07-2018, 12:52 PM
we had rain that changed to snow sometime between 4 and 6 am. But it was the slightest dusting. Doesn't matter, I'm going to go get on the trainer soon.

benb
04-07-2018, 07:08 PM
I had previously signed up for a ride today, only $10 so I could have bagged it but I went anyway.

We had snow and rain off and on last night but it actually got colder overnight. Because the roads were a mess I took my All City Space Horse which has fenders.

But it was also about 31 degrees and super windy, I was paranoid and took my revelate tailbag and packed extra food and a winter hat/gloves and a goretex shell and pants in case of emergency.

I’ve only broken down once on a ride where I was totally stranded but I froze on the side of the road when it happened and that was a warmer day than today.

I ended up around 80 miles for the day with 3000ish feet of climbing. It warned up to the mid 40s for the second half of the ride and was a lot more comfortable. It sure stunk to push all that weight uphill!

thwart
04-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Dressed for a February day, and still had cold-ish fingers and toes by the end of my 90 minute ride.

35° F with 15-25 mph Northwest wind.

At least it was sunny.

And... at least I got out... I am not doing rollers two days in a row in April. :banana:

peanutgallery
04-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Eff Old Man Winter, just got back from Big Sky today. Loving the extra innings with winter, air travel...not so much

For those in the know, grab a pair of the new Volkl Mantras (2019/20 model), or a Nordica Enforcer, or a Blizzard Rustler 9. You'll be impressed

FWIW, I have maybe 6 days outside this spring...but the skiing has been good. Gonna try tomorrow

bironi
04-07-2018, 08:01 PM
It helps to have a clue by your profile what general area of the world you are located when referring to the current weather. Apples to oranges without some detail.
Hope spring arrives soon. I'm frustrated here too.

Bring the spring please!

teleguy57
04-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Dressed for a February day, and still had cold-ish fingers and toes by the end of my 90 minute ride.

35° F with 15-25 mph Northwest wind.

At least it was sunny.

And... at least I got out... I am not doing rollers two days in a row in April. :banana:

Wow, you had balmy temps down South:)

28F here, same winds. And yes, the sun was nice. Had to dodge a couple of sections of ice under an overpass, and where the plow left snow on the shoulder had to do a quick check before swinging into the traffic lane.

Hit the clothes just right -- almost full winter gear. (edit: road gear, that is. I have different stuff I wear for my fat bike excursions including ShowersPass Roadie Pant, Revelate Design Williwag pogies, Vasque Arrowhead boots on flat pedals). Am loving the Northwave winter SPD boots I picked up used here two (or three?) seasons ago (warm enough for today with a liner and wooleator, and no neoprene covers) and my Weatherneck (https://theweatherneck.com/)by local guy Brian Davis. Highly recommended!

Ken Robb
04-07-2018, 09:04 PM
It is worse 120 miles north.

I've been outside exactly once this year. It sucks.

I'd kill for one day in the 50's.

This is the price you pay for those 2 wonderful weeks at the end of September/early October. I love them in your area. OTOH, when you still get snow dumps in April and then a few weeks of mud season I'm glad to be in SoCal.

mcteague
04-08-2018, 06:40 AM
Again, another 35 degree morning in Northern Baltimore county. I am SO tired of cold fingers, wind and constant runny nose. When is warmer weather getting here? :crap:

I know many have colder, and longer Winters but I still feel like complaining.

Tim

MattTuck
04-12-2018, 08:08 AM
This is the price you pay for those 2 wonderful weeks at the end of September/early October. I love them in your area. OTOH, when you still get snow dumps in April and then a few weeks of mud season I'm glad to be in SoCal.

It snowed again here last night. Not a lot, but enough to be angry.

RFC
04-12-2018, 09:02 AM

(Ducking)

LOL! Me too!

a4a
04-12-2018, 06:27 PM
LOL! Me too!

I envy you AZ riders. I’m currently in Tucson for work... unfortunately no bike time... and the weather is crazy perfect for a ride. Now I know why snow birds head to the Deep South every winter. Even in SC we get quite a few cold spells in the winter that make it tough to ride.

ceolwulf
04-12-2018, 06:33 PM
It snowed again here last night. Not a lot, but enough to be angry.

Same, and same.

Frankwurst
04-12-2018, 06:54 PM
One more time with enthusiasm. Starts tomorrow. Ends Sunday. Snow. Anywhere from 8 to 18 inches. They don't know and I don't care. My liver is already hanging by a thread. One more weekend of physical abuse won't send me to my grave...... I hope.:beer:

Likes2ridefar
04-12-2018, 06:59 PM
I envy you AZ riders. I’m currently in Tucson for work... unfortunately no bike time... and the weather is crazy perfect for a ride. Now I know why snow birds head to the Deep South every winter. Even in SC we get quite a few cold spells in the winter that make it tough to ride.

Today it is windy. It’s stilll sunny and warm though. CanT say I miss the NE one bit.

Deep tan lines already.

R3awak3n
04-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Tomorrow and Saturday will be awesome. Spring is finally here in NY.

This week has been nice though, I have been out pretty much everyday since Sunday

Black Dog
04-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Looking at an ice storm this weekend. With up to 2cm of ice covering everything including my heart. :help:

YesNdeed
04-12-2018, 07:55 PM
It wasn't the Winters that really got to me while living in the Northeast, it was the Springtime. And snow this late in the season just prolongs the already painfully long Spring melt and mud fest. So hang in there folks.

On the contrary, we had such a dry Winter that fire season is well under way, far earlier than normal. And we have a long while before monsoons are expected in July. I say this with the smell of smoke permeating my neighborhood. 50-70 MPH wind gusts today make falling tree limbs a concern. I'm thankful to be able to ride in warm weather kit though, especially after reading this.

GregL
04-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Tomorrow and Saturday will be awesome. Spring is finally here in NY.

This week has been nice though, I have been out pretty much everyday since Sunday
Not in Siberacuse. We still have snow at the ski areas and the weekend will be wet and cold. Counting down the years until I no longer have to live here year-round!

Greg

teleguy57
04-12-2018, 10:48 PM
Tomorrow's forecast:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/33/e0/23/33e023990eaf046e762b2fca95d6fe59--bordeaux-pictures.jpg

Changing on Saturday (winds forecast 25-25 mph gusting to 50mph!)

https://imagesvc.timeincuk.net/v3/keystone/image?url=http://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/02/snow-WATSON_00003282-082-630x418.jpg&q=82

And Sunday looks to be a good day to take out my ti Hampsten:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ef/60/9b/ef609b83923285b0d1fc6cf2b5a70e07--cycling-art-bicycle-art.jpg

And we're on the slow side of the storm; saw a map forecasting 21" snow in Rhinelander WI on tonight's local weatherguy segment. I better check my stock of mini chocolate donuts.

But it is April in WI....