PDA

View Full Version : TRP HY/RD Caliper Install- Help

mtb_frk
04-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Post mount, when I tighten the mounting screw down it moves the caliper and I get brake rub.

So I have the lever squeezed and the pads have alligened the caliper position, the mounting bolts are loose. Once I start to tighten the bolt the caliper will move due to the torque on the bolt, and then the brakes will rub. I’ve tried larger washers and it still happens. The only way I can get it to not rub is to leave the bolt loose which really isn’t the best option. Any thoughts?

hummus_aquinas
04-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Try greasing the hardware where it touches the caliper. This will let the bolt "slip" and tighten without moving the caliper towards the rotor.

mtb_frk
04-05-2018, 07:03 PM
Good idea I haven’t thought of that!

Gummee
04-05-2018, 07:07 PM
Could be that your brake mounting posts aren't completely flat.

M

.RJ
04-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Could be that your brake mounting posts aren't completely flat.

M

They rarely are - I've never had a niner carbon fork with flat post mount faces out of the box. Face them... park sells a special tool for this.

mtb_frk
04-05-2018, 07:51 PM
So to add a bit more detail I am running a post mount adapter on a flat mount fork.

vqdriver
04-05-2018, 07:58 PM
may need the avid mounting kit. it has conical washers that rectify almost all these issues. downside is that it will push your calipers out a few mm

mtb_frk
04-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Also, I can get it to not rub but not for a full rotation of the rotor with one bolt loose. I have tried two different rotors both with the same result.

vqdriver
04-05-2018, 08:31 PM
my guess is that the post mount face isn't exactly square. not uncommon.
when you tighten the bolt, no matter what method you use to align it, the act of tightening the bolt will bring the caliper face flush to the post mount face and you're back to square one. the conical washer kit addresses this.

mtb_frk
04-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Ill give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions!

purplecu22
04-05-2018, 10:40 PM
This is the way i do disc brakes.

First make sure brake is centered. Use the center of the brake itself not the pistons.

Pull the lever and lock it down with a toe strap or a zip tie.

Next part is the most important. Tighten the bolt slow with very fine torque increments. In an alternating pattern!!! Sometimes it takes me like 5 sets of slow light torque . This is the trick to keep the caliper from moving from the bolt torque.

Hope this help,

mtb_frk
04-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Using the orbital washers, and very slowly and lightly torqeuing the bolts did the trick. Thanks all!