PDA

View Full Version : MR RIDE BB adapter, or Kogel?

Greatwhite
04-05-2018, 04:25 AM
Anyone know if the MR RIDE adapter is "better" or "worse" than the ones made by Kogel?

They look similar but the MR RIDE ones are about 1/2 the price.

The ones in the links are not exactly the same, have emailed Mr Ride to see if they are going to make more BB386 adapters.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/mr-ride-for-Campagnolo-Ultra-Torque-adaptor-PF30-frame-BB-Bottom-Bracket-Black-/232691055238?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

http://www.leadoutsports.com/product-page/386evo-to-campagnolo-ultratorque

spookyload
04-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Kogel is a little more because they use ceramic bearings, and their customer support is worth it. I have a PF30 to ShimaNO crank bottom bracket i pressed into a Lynskey 12,000 miles ago and haven’t touched since. I commute on it 365 days a year, haven’t serviced the bearings once and it is quiet as a noise still

NoMoreParagon
04-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Anyone know if the MR RIDE adapter is "better" or "worse" than the ones made by Kogel?

They look similar but the MR RIDE ones are about 1/2 the price.

The ones in the links are not exactly the same, have emailed Mr Ride to see if they are going to make more BB386 adapters.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/mr-ride-for-Campagnolo-Ultra-Torque-adaptor-PF30-frame-BB-Bottom-Bracket-Black-/232691055238?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

http://www.leadoutsports.com/product-page/386evo-to-campagnolo-ultratorque

MrRide is basically Wishbone. I have used their PF30 adapter for Campy UltraTorque for years and they worked far better than other adapters manufactured by Campagnolo, Praxis and Parlee.
Wishbone would be the only adapter I would use for pressed BB applications. No doubt.
Used them on Lynskey as well as Passoni Ti frames. I recommend it also to a friend with a Parlee Z5 and he had a creak free experience so far.
Praxis works fine for few months but then started creaking, especially if you ride in wet areas. The Campagnolo cups are atrocious and require Loctite. Parlee a bit better but not even close to Wishbone.

Not to mention that if you have Di2 / EPS the Kogel won't work cause you won't have enough room to route the wires especially if you have a metal frame. Wishbone, on the other hand, has enough space in the central channel to wire to pass through.

Greatwhite
04-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Kogel is a little more because they use ceramic bearings, and their customer support is worth it. I have a PF30 to ShimaNO crank bottom bracket i pressed into a Lynskey 12,000 miles ago and haven’t touched since. I commute on it 365 days a year, haven’t serviced the bearings once and it is quiet as a noise still

Ok thanks for the input mate, sounds like the go.

Greatwhite
04-05-2018, 02:25 PM
MrRide is basically Wishbone. I have used their PF30 adapter for Campy UltraTorque for years and they worked far better than other adapters manufactured by Campagnolo, Praxis and Parlee.
Wishbone would be the only adapter I would use for pressed BB applications. No doubt.
Used them on Lynskey as well as Passoni Ti frames. I recommend it also to a friend with a Parlee Z5 and he had a creak free experience so far.
Praxis works fine for few months but then started creaking, especially if you ride in wet areas. The Campagnolo cups are atrocious and require Loctite. Parlee a bit better but not even close to Wishbone.

Not to mention that if you have Di2 / EPS the Kogel won't work cause you won't have enough room to route the wires especially if you have a metal frame. Wishbone, on the other hand, has enough space in the central channel to wire to pass through.

Cool, I will google them later and check them out.
Thanks.

Blown Reek
04-05-2018, 02:49 PM
... worked far better than other adapters manufactured by Campagnolo, Praxis and Parlee.

I've used the Parlee PF30 Campagnolo adapter for years and have had zero issues with it, and couldn't imagine what kind of issue you might have had. Campagnolo PF30 creaked, then it was straight to Parlee. I'd default by saying "user error", but as long as the cups are pressed into a frame, there ain't much for a user to mess up. For me, Parlee has been flawless on both carbon and titanium frames, and no loctite or anything (besides grease) needed.

No man is an island, but you seem to be the only person who has had issue with a Parlee adapter.

NoMoreParagon
04-05-2018, 03:19 PM
I've used the Parlee PF30 Campagnolo adapter for years and have had zero issues with it, and couldn't imagine what kind of issue you might have had. Campagnolo PF30 creaked, then it was straight to Parlee. I'd default by saying "user error", but as long as the cups are pressed into a frame, there ain't much for a user to mess up. For me, Parlee has been flawless on both carbon and titanium frames, and no loctite or anything (besides grease) needed.

No man is an island, but you seem to be the only person who has had issue with a Parlee adapter.

There is no connection between the two outboard cups so in theory it’s very possible that one can have issues. I don’t know how can you claim I am the only person experiencing problems with press fit cups. Are you in contact with every past buyers of Parlee press fit systems?
You should know that tolerances play a big role in the instability of any press fit system.
A threaded linked cup system is much less prone to potential wobbles over an extended period of time and can compensate for less than ideal B.B. shell tolerances.
Also because of the longer sleeve of te Parlee cups, not every frame will have enough space for the wires to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blown Reek
04-05-2018, 05:36 PM
There is no connection between the two outboard cups so in theory it’s very possible that one can have issues. I don’t know how can you claim I am the only person experiencing problems with press fit cups. Are you in contact with every past buyers of Parlee press fit systems?
You should know that tolerances play a big role in the instability of any press fit system.
A threaded linked cup system is much less prone to potential wobbles over an extended period of time and can compensate for less than ideal B.B. shell tolerances.
Also because of the longer sleeve of te Parlee cups, not every frame will have enough space for the wires to pass.

After reading your response, I'm going with either user error or a sh it bike with poor tolerances.

And no, I haven't been in contact with "every" Parlee buyer, but this seems more like "I read it on the internet" than actual experience. There is so much more contact area between the Parlee cups and shell that you're not going to get it to move, which isn't the case with the Campagnolo part. Furthermore, you don't need to connect the cups to make sure they're stable in the shell- you just need more contact between the cups and shell.

But I'm sure that if you move up to the big time and get a bike that's worth its salt, the tolerance of the bottom bracket shell isn't an issue.

NoMoreParagon
04-05-2018, 05:54 PM
After reading your response, I'm going with either user error or a sh it bike with poor tolerances.

And no, I haven't been in contact with "every" Parlee buyer, but this seems more like "I read it on the internet" than actual experience. There is so much more contact area between the Parlee cups and shell that you're not going to get it to move, which isn't the case with the Campagnolo part. Furthermore, you don't need to connect the cups to make sure they're stable in the shell- you just need more contact between the cups and shell.

But I'm sure that if you move up to the big time and get a bike that's worth its salt, the tolerance of the bottom bracket shell isn't an issue.

There is no user error, trust me. It’s simple physics. You distribute the load of a pedal stroke between the two cups via the threaded bridge. There is not a single reason why separate cups should work better than threaded bridged version.
And it’s no coincidence that the majority or Shimano/Sram B.B. pressfit adapter are threaded or one piece (B.B. infinite).

Blown Reek
04-05-2018, 06:29 PM
There is no user error, trust me. It’s simple physics. You distribute the load of a pedal stroke between the two cups via the threaded bridge. There is not a single reason why separate cups should work better than threaded bridged version.
And it’s no coincidence that the majority or Shimano/Sram B.B. pressfit adapter are threaded or one piece (B.B. infinite).

Not saying that separate cups should work better, just saying that a properly engineered system (like deeper shoulders on the Parlee cups) handle the load of the lever just fine (that's physics, too). Or you can have less contact area and cinch it up with a threaded system. Either way works. I've ridden both, and have had no issues on both (Parlee cups and WheelsMFG threaded cups).

So with that being said, if you're getting creaking with a Parlee adapter, it's either user error or a sh it bike. And the reason why a majority of Shimano/SRAM adapters are threaded is because a bunch of companies make that style. Parlee is the only one that has deeper shoulders on the cups. Just because it's the only one doesn't that uses that design doesn't mean that it's an inferior tool for the job.

However, a good frame won't save a bad painting. If you're having an issue with a Parlee adapter, chances are your "good" bike isn't.