PDA

View Full Version : Bike parts in luggage

TexasJohn
04-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Traveling from Houston to Denver this weekend. I have almost a complete build kit in checked luggage, minus the wheels and frameset. Should I anticipate any problems at check in or stuff being damaged or stolen in transit? What is your experience?

Bentley
04-04-2018, 08:52 PM
I have done the same from Boulder to Orlando, no issues. I have even checked wheels (in boxes) with no issues.

TexasJohn
04-04-2018, 08:57 PM
I have done the same from Boulder to Orlando, no issues. I have even checked wheels (in boxes) with no issues.

Gracias Mr. Bentley!

Louis
04-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Tools and hardware in checked luggage is fine. In fact, just about anything other than flammable or explosive stuff is fine. Full CO2 cartridges are not OK.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring

saab2000
04-04-2018, 09:38 PM
Tools and hardware in checked luggage is fine. In fact, just about anything other than flammable or explosive stuff is fine. Full CO2 cartridges are not OK.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring

This is correct. Check your stuff in a good quality case and you'll be OK. DO NOT pack CO2 cartridges or other dangerous stuff.

Don't try to carry any of it on board. While it may be OK and seem OK to us, it may not seem OK to the baggage screeners. Pack clothing and other innocuous stuff in your carry-on baggage.

zmudshark
04-04-2018, 09:40 PM
As long as TSA doesn't decide to repack it for you and help themselves to something cool, you should be good.

I'm traveling on my bi-annual migration next week, and am sending bike bits in a box via FDX/USPS, whichever is cheaper. They don't pilfer as much as TSA.

Good Luck,

z

taz-t
04-05-2018, 10:58 AM
As long as TSA doesn't decide to repack it for you and help themselves to something cool, you should be good.

I'm traveling on my bi-annual migration next week, and am sending bike bits in a box via FDX/USPS, whichever is cheaper. They don't pilfer as much as TSA.

Good Luck,

z

I'd take a pic of the parts and make an itemized list.. lay both right on top of the packed parts inside of bag. Maybe a copy of your boarding pass too. It won't 'prevent' parts from going missing but it'll let any TSA workers know that you're prepared to put up a fight if anything's missing. (And easier to make a claim against the airline if needed.)

A Campy gruppo minus saddle, post, bars was about $25 insured via USPS Priority Mail.

spookyload
04-05-2018, 11:53 AM
As mentioned, CO2 will be missing when you get to your destination. I have seen them remove the whole seatpack when taking it. Flammable stuff would include lube, tubular glue and cleaners. Though some are stable, I have seen them taken anyways because they don’t want to take the time to find out. Prolink Gold is mostly mineral spirits and will be gone for sure.