PDA

View Full Version : Trying out something new - suspension stem

fa63
04-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Just put this on (Redshift Sports Shockstop stem) and went for a brief ride:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180404/f74e04d4a488199a5c9c93fe6c2a4c4e.jpg

It really seems to do a good jump of taking out small to moderate bumps. I also didn’t sense any bobbing sensation when out of the saddle, but I wasn’t riding hard. I also used slightly harder elastomers than recommended.

Let’s see how it works and holds up in the long term.

parris
04-04-2018, 07:46 PM
It looks like an update/refinement of the suspension stems from the late 80's. Looking forward to updates.

eddief
04-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Spoke to them and they are considering one more up angle but less than way up.

oldpotatoe
04-05-2018, 06:31 AM
It looks like an update/refinement of the suspension stems from the late 80's. Looking forward to updates.

Gervin Flex Stem and Softride...shades of yesteryear..'suspend the rider, not the bike'.

At least on Softride(and I sold a bunch of them in the early 90s)..the handlebar didn't rotate but moves down in a straight line.

fa63
04-05-2018, 07:31 AM
This is a "cleaner" execution of those old ideas indeed. But hey, with bikes, it seems like what goes around comes around :)

Tickdoc
04-05-2018, 07:46 AM
rented a spec roubaix with their front road suspension last year. Its a weird feeling. soaks up bumps for sure, but it reminded me of driving my dad's old toyota avalon....numb numb numb. I couldn't wait to get back to feeling the road again on a regular stem.

curious if that same level of isolation exists here.

fa63
04-05-2018, 07:58 AM
I did not feel that level of isolation; could still feel what was going on with the road but then hit a bump and it didn't feel as jarring in the hands.

Both the Specialized design and this stem claim up to 20mm of travel; maybe there is a big difference in damping between the two systems? The Redshift so far is subtle enough to be almost imperceptible.

sitzmark
04-05-2018, 08:00 AM
This is a "cleaner" execution of those old ideas indeed. But hey, with bikes, it seems like what goes around comes around :)

A bit of a different application as well - previous units were MTB-inspired and therefore provided more travel (Softride anyway). Girvin provided very little value IMO. I had one and removed it - extra weight and no real benefit. Softride was $$ and didn't provide enough travel in comparison to suspension forks, especially as fork tech progressed and price of older tech dropped.

redir
04-05-2018, 08:05 AM
I noticed some young kid on the collegiate team training ride last night with a new fangled oblong chain ring.

What comes around goes around indeed.

I bet one of those stems would be nice on a cross bike. I stonewalled the idea of using a Thudbuster seat post on mine for a long time. I had actually won one at a cross race years prior. I finally put it on and now it will never be taken off my cross bike again :)

pdmtong
04-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Having the stem or post move a bit is a sensation some like and some don't.

I found the current specialized incarnation to be both odd and great

The thing to remember is that your wheel and frame are still taking the hit even if you feel it less

So the stem doesn't give you license to go hard at small lips or potholes

The just enough to take the edge off is pretty nice though. I can't get past the weight penalty. There I said it.

As for the thudbuster that's a must have on any tandem. The early version we had used a bigger elastomer so the arc was more pronounced but the current ones are very compact.

There was a period where ritchey refuse to design with suspension forks in mind. Went girvin. Eventually rock shox became the way and the suspension stems faded.

Blown Reek
04-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Gervin Flex Stem and Softride...shades of yesteryear..'suspend the rider, not the bike'.

The Softride stem was far superior to the Girvin stem, but the ProFlex bike with the Girvin fork was some early 1992 hotness. But then again, nothing was as cool as the Answer Manitou bike.

Too bad they all sucked, though.

https://images.singletracks.com/2015/01/manitouFS-manitou3_older.jpg

Birddog
04-05-2018, 09:34 AM
fa63,
what was your reason for buying? I'm just curious because I'm starting to get some arthritis in my hands and some pavement irregularities (not potholes) really sting when I hit them. This might be an answer down the road when the sting becomes intolerable.

fa63
04-05-2018, 09:52 AM
I have been doing more and more gravel/single track riding lately, and my hands/wrists always take a beating. I wanted to see if this could help with that. I figured it also can't hurt in the pothole filled roads of Atlanta. I am also always trying out different things, because, why not :)

54ny77
04-05-2018, 09:59 AM
if you're only looking for 20mm or so of cushion, use boxing gloves!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/41/51/7b4151664933d65c9dc8eec31c43be54.jpg

:D

I did not feel that level of isolation; could still feel what was going on with the road but then hit a bump and it didn't feel as jarring in the hands.

Both the Specialized design and this stem claim up to 20mm of travel; maybe there is a big difference in damping between the two systems? The Redshift so far is subtle enough to be almost imperceptible.

CSTRider
04-05-2018, 12:18 PM
I've been riding one of these on my cross bike for about 4 weeks in preparation for the upcoming Belgian Waffle/Wafer Ride, and I love it. For backside comfort, I'm running a Koobi PRS saddle (with elastomers) and an older Spec Roubaix carbon seatpost. At 62 with degenerative discs in my neck and back, this provides off road relief from smaller high frequency bumps and occasional big hits, especially on descents. On road, it's like riding a larger volume tire. It only weighs about 150 grams more than a regular stem, and is inconspicuous. Highly recommend.

vqdriver
04-05-2018, 01:41 PM
oh man, that brings back memories. i tore a pic of that manitou bike out of a magazine and had it pinned to my wall next to a countach poster and (i think??) stephanie seymour

The Softride stem was far superior to the Girvin stem, but the ProFlex bike with the Girvin fork was some early 1992 hotness. But then again, nothing was as cool as the Answer Manitou bike.

fa63
04-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Quick update: I have been riding this for a week now, and my initial impressions remain. I guess the best compliment I can give it is that the stem does its job quietly and effectively in the background; no noise, no bobbing around, etc. In fact, one would be hard pressed to even know that it is there on smooth roads, but it definitely takes the sting out of the bumps when the going gets rough.

Try one out if you can.

bobswire
04-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Quick update: I have been riding this for a week now, and my initial impressions remain. I guess the best compliment I can give it is that the stem does its job quietly and effectively in the background; no noise, no bobbing around, etc. In fact, one would be hard pressed to even know that it is there on smooth roads, but it definitely takes the sting out of the bumps when the going gets rough.

Try one out if you can.

I'm getting one, a friend has one that I tried and it absorbs lots of irritating jarring on the varied terrain I ride on. If you are a roadie and ride pacelines it's not for you because you'll be ridiculed and you don't want that. Oh and I'll probably get this too if it's anything like the stem. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redshiftsports/shockstop-seatpost-add-suspension-to-your-bike?utm_source=Consumer+Master+List&utm_campaign=dd59995a69-EMAIL_CML_2018_04_10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1ef6710e17-dd59995a69-229184161&mc_cid=dd59995a69&mc_eid=2fa71e45ce .

fa63
04-11-2018, 11:55 AM
I'm getting one, a friend has one that I tried and it absorbs lots of irritating jarring on the varied terrain I ride on. If you are a roadie and ride pacelines it's not for you because you'll be ridiculed and you don't want that. Oh and I'll probably get this too if it's anything like the stem.

I rode with a group of roadies yesterday evening. They were quick to notice the weight I have gained over the winter, but only one noticed the stem :)

I got the email about their upcoming seatpost as well, but I am not sure that is going to be as seamless as the stem. 35mm of travel is quite a bit, and from their description of it, sounds like they are not really marketing that for the roadies.

bobswire
04-11-2018, 12:08 PM
I rode with a group of roadies yesterday evening. They were quick to notice the weight I have gained over the winter, but only one noticed the stem :)

I got the email about their upcoming seatpost as well, but I am not sure that is going to be as seamless as the stem. 35mm of travel is quite a bit, and from their description of it, sounds like they are not really marketing that for the roadies.

No, they really aren't I will be using mine on my BMC Monster cross, it's my all-terrain adventure bike.
http://i63.tinypic.com/21amxb5.jpg

simplemind
04-11-2018, 03:28 PM
Oh and I'll probably get this too if it's anything like the stem. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redshiftsports/shockstop-seatpost-add-suspension-to-your-bike?utm_source=Consumer+Master+List&utm_campaign=dd59995a69-EMAIL_CML_2018_04_10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1ef6710e17-dd59995a69-229184161&mc_cid=dd59995a69&mc_eid=2fa71e45ce .

Yeah, saw the 500+ gms weight and decided I didn't need it! :eek:

That said, I did a gravel race last Saturday and it had about 5 miles of severe washboard. I think a suspension fork is in my future!

David Tollefson
04-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Oh and I'll probably get this too if it's anything like the stem. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redshiftsports/shockstop-seatpost-add-suspension-to-your-bike?utm_source=Consumer+Master+List&utm_campaign=dd59995a69-EMAIL_CML_2018_04_10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1ef6710e17-dd59995a69-229184161&mc_cid=dd59995a69&mc_eid=2fa71e45ce .

I've been riding on one of the Cyrrus Cycles Kinekt (Bodyfloat) (http://cirruscycles.com/) posts for the last few weeks*. Similar in concept, but the action is at a much better angle. LOVE it. Chip sealed roads are now smooth. Takes the bite out of gravel. Pretty much don't want to ride without one now.

* Disclosure -- I'm a "brand ambassador" for Kinekt, so they provided a post for me gratis to ride and review. I liked it enough to buy another one for myself.

dddd
04-13-2018, 03:25 PM
I almost can't believe that anyone rides their hardtail mtb with a rigid post, I have suspended posts on all three of my current (non-26") econo-bikes.

The pivoted stems can have very different actuation characteristics, the boxy black one looks like it might be cam-operated inside(?).
So the actuation can be direct to the elastic element (spring or rubber) or can be cam-operated and so feature a stabilizing "platform" of actuation force threshold. And the force curve can be tailored. Such a system can be tuned to move only in response to significant jolts, unlike the Specialized Roubaix's stem-steerer thingie that is more "active".
Any kind of suspension travel needs to be well-controlled in terms of it's normal support firmness and in terms of it's top and bottom travel limit stops, and a lot of variation of these parameters is possible using different designs, spring material and setup/adjustment.

Birddog
07-21-2020, 11:29 AM
fa63,
what was your reason for buying? I'm just curious because I'm starting to get some arthritis in my hands and some pavement irregularities (not potholes) really sting when I hit them. This might be an answer down the road when the sting becomes intolerable.

I received a Shock Stop stem as a gift and now after three rides I'm happy to announce that it has really helped. I'm in my early 70's and arthritis in my hands was really getting to be a problem. I have been riding for over 30 years and it was to the point where I dreaded the stings and aches I received as a result of a medium length ride (25 miles).

Since installing the stem I'm no longer dreading a ride and in fact I look forward to them and it doesn't take all week to recover from the weekend. Previously,the pain in my hands was affecting my forearms, shoulders and back but no more. I thought the stem might be helpful but as it turns out the improvement was way more significant than I expected. Hopefully my results can be shared by others.

ridethecliche
07-21-2020, 12:49 PM
The thing about elastomers in a setup like this is that they can be used to dampen vibrations without completely cutting them out. So you still get road feel... You just get less buzz!

That's pretty cool. I'd love it on my Al road bike to be honest.

Red Tornado
07-21-2020, 03:21 PM

I wanted that Manitou fork for my bike sooooo bad back in the day. Always thought the early/mid 90's Manitou bikes looked awesome. I have that Flite saddle on my 90's retro Giant currently. A little beat up but still comfortable. When I first started racing in the mid-90's there were a lot of guys with the Girvin Pro Flex bikes and I think they had the fork with the dropouts facing backwards.

Never thought suspending the rider was a good idea for dirt, but I can see where it would be nice on long/rough road rides.