View Full Version : ...

cadence90
04-04-2018, 02:39 PM
.... ..

likebikes
04-04-2018, 02:42 PM
$5k gets you a lot of used hatchback.

what's the $5k of work the v70 needs?

@ 1,500 mi/year, living in LA maybe just consider using car share or rent a car when needed?

zross312
04-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Fascinating, because I'm also looking for a decent used car in LA for under $5k. I've heard the same advice too - look for Japanese cars under 10 years old and with relatively low mileage. Let me know what you find out!

I live in Los Angeles, and as of today need a "new" car. The car I have is a 1999 Volvo V70 wagon I inherited when my father passed away. The repair estimate today is +/- $5000, and my mechanic says he doesn't think that expense is worth it for a 20-year old car. I have never bought an actually new car, and definitely cannot afford one now. In fact I could barely afford the $5,000 repair if I were to go through with it.

I drive very little annually, but do need a car that is reliable and relatively easy/inexpensive to maintain.

I have only ever had Volvos, primarily because I highly trust my mechanic, who has serviced my few cars for over 25 years.

My mechanic said that while he loves (and owns) Volvos, in my situation (local driving, no long cross-country, <1,500 miles/year) he would not really recommend another Volvo for me now, because while they are best in terms of safety they are also expensive to maintain. In fact, this '99 V70 has been a relative nightmare.

He services Volvo, Acura, Toyota, and Hondas, and I would much prefer a car that he can service, so it would need to be one of those brands. He said that his initial suggestion would be to look for a less than 10-year-old Honda (Accord, Fit, or CRV...definitely no hybrids) or Toyota (Camry, Rav4). He doesn't sell cars, and does not have any clients currently selling.

I really know nothing at all about cars, so any good and experienced advice, within the above parameters, would be greatly appreciated.

To start:

Honda or Toyota, or are they equal?
Are any of those models listed above preferable to others?
Are there any model years in particular to absolutely avoid?
Where to begin looking? Dealers? Craigslist? Other?
My mechanic says that he thinks I can "sell" my V70 as is to the state of CA via a "Buy-Back" program for $1,000-$1,500, so + the $5,000 repair my max budget would be +/- $6,000, less even better. Is that feasible?
Etc.

If communication via email is easier, just ask via PM and I will forward my address.

Thanks much.

clyde the point
04-04-2018, 02:48 PM
snip.

To start:

Honda or Toyota, or are they equal? Toyota
Are any of those models listed above preferable to others? Can't go wrong with a Camry, or any of them really
Where to begin looking? Dealers? Craigslist? Other? you don't know what you're looking for so dealers and make certain there are service records for the vehicle you are buying. And have your boy check the car out (PPI pre purchase inspection), avoid craigslist cause of your lack of knowledge, unless you have a buddy that really knows his stuff
My mechanic says that he thinks I can "sell" my V70 as is to the state of CA via a "Buy-Back" program for $1,000-$1,500, so + the $5,000 repair my max budget would be +/- $6,000, less even better. Is that feasible? Dunno CA laws so yeah maybe that's great, or maybe you find a Volvo mech that is a fix and resale kinda guy
Etc.

If communication via email is easier, just ask via PM and I will forward my address.

Thanks much.
.[/QUOTE]

AngryScientist
04-04-2018, 02:48 PM
i agree - if you are truly under 1500 miles/year zipcar or similar + uber may be much better than spending 6k on a car you need to store, maintain and insure.

that said - my vote would be for an unmodified honda civic. mechanically simple, reliable cars.

you can broaden your search to include scion, which is a toyota sub brand. also, if you were unaware, acura is honda's luxury brand, lexus is toyota's lux brand, so they are all the same, from your mechanic's standpoint of serviceability.

cadence90
04-04-2018, 02:53 PM
.... ..

cadence90
04-04-2018, 03:07 PM
.... ..

tuscanyswe
04-04-2018, 03:20 PM
I have no advice to give you regarding cars as i know very little about them other than what kind looks good and they are likely not the best cost wise anyways..

But what kind of dogs do you have? interesting.

Im picturing you with a classic dog, architect and all And also something with character and not just soft and lovable. I was leaning dachshund but it may be bit to obvious for you so then i thought whippet as i see you with a couple of lanky dogs but then perhaps you needed even more persona so i have now concluded you have a couple of afghans?

http://dims.vetstreet.com/dims3/MMAH/resize/645x380/quality/90/http://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.prod.vetstreet.com/e1/c42130a3ff11e087a80050568d634f/file/Afghan-Hound-2-645mk-062311.jpg

tylercheung
04-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Could look at Carmax, as they service the cars before they sell them to you and can even get you a warranty.

But if you drive say, 10 times a year and you spend $100 for a 2 day rental at Hertz, that's still $1000....or even rideshare/uber. In LA, you can get a ride in 3-6 minutes....yeah, technically they're not "on-demand emergency" rides but still...

staggerwing
04-04-2018, 03:39 PM
We are a two Volvo family, but for you needs, I think your mechanic is 100% on point.

If you have some time, would try to hold out for a one owner, 10-12 yo, 2-wd, Toyota Rav4. It will likely be a base model, at that price. But, that also means less to go wrong. A Rav4 would work great with dogs. A Camry will be a cheaper option, but less dog friendly.

cargurus.com is a easy way to get a rough idea of what is out there.

echelon_john
04-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Why not lease a Honda Fit for $159/mo?

cadence90
04-04-2018, 04:12 PM
.... ..

cadence90
04-04-2018, 04:17 PM
.... ..

C40_guy
04-04-2018, 04:20 PM
If you’d like a second opinion regarding the Volvo, join the mailing list at www.swedishbricks.net.

Lots of Volvo knowledge there, and maybe someone who might want your V70.

Disclaimer: I run the list. :)

cadence90
04-04-2018, 04:29 PM
.... ..

Ralph
04-04-2018, 04:35 PM
I find this conversation very interesting. In my garage right now sits my mother in laws 2008 Mercury Milan (Premier version...leather, sun roof, etc...same as a Ford Fusion)......has always lived in a garage.....has 40,000 careful miles. perfect paint (I've waxed it regularly), perfect interior (rubber floor mats over the stock ones....can't tell a foot ever touched the carpet), all services done.....trans flush, radiator flush, spark plugs, recent 4 wheel alignment, new anti lock brake module, almost new Michelins.....couldn't spend a penny on this car if you tried. Needs nothing. Has the tried and proven (Ford Ranger, Transit Connect, and many others) 2.3 L Ford DOHC 4 cylinder engine....good easily for 200,000 trouble free miles. Has a 5 speed auto...AISIN (A Toyota brand)....identical to the 5 speed in Honda's and Toyota's with same tq capacity.

And....this car is probably worth about $6000. Totally out of favor vehicle. And drives perfect.

And for that money....you can buy a very high mileage Honda or Toyota's.....about 10-12 years old....that someone is selling because it's almost worn out and needs a lot of work.....and they just felt it wasn't worth fixing it....so since those cars bring good money....they are selling it.

I would look for a low mileage out of favor vehicle like I described above. They are just as good....no matter Internet opinion.

jtakeda
04-04-2018, 04:40 PM
You can get plenty of car for 6k.

I’d look for a Toyota Tacoma with a split back for the dogs. If you’re not driving a ton—gas mileage isn’t a huge issue and the Tacoma can take you on some nice adventures.

No kids right? Besides the dogs?

cadence90
04-04-2018, 04:44 PM
.... ..

Ken Robb
04-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Do you have a garage or do you park outside?

josephr
04-04-2018, 05:43 PM
nvm

false_Aest
04-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Toyota Matrix.

They haul so much. You can sleep in the back if necessary. I've carried 3 bikes, 3 adults and race gear no problem. Decent mpg.

It's my Los Angeles car of choice. If they were still made I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

staggerwing
04-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Toyota Matrix.

They haul so much. You can sleep in the back if necessary. I've carried 3 bikes, 3 adults and race gear no problem. Decent mpg.

It's my Los Angeles car of choice. If they were still made I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Don't know why I mind blanked and forgot the Matrix. BTW, the Pontiac Vibe is the same car, under the sheet metal. Both are essentially Toyota Corollas in hatchback form. Cheap to keep running.

Might as well throw a Honda Fit on the list too, although not as bomb proof/inexpensive as the Matrix/Vibe twins.

A little mystified by some of the items on your V70 repair list. Does he mean "heater core" or "blower motor"? If the latter, you might try that one yourself. As for the ABS module, a quick look shows several people affecting their own, almost no cost repair, by reflowing the solder joints on the original module. Otherwise, while not ideal, you can drive without ABS function, unless that prevents you from registering. Engine mounts, yeah those can be important. As far as axle boots, might be easiest to just put two remanufactured axles in there, which is maybe what was quoted. Replacing torn boots without new/remanned joints is a short term fix. Don't know about the shifter knob and major service?

Tires are a wear item and the windshield could happen on any car.

Perhaps shop around a bit for repairs and spend some time on one or more of the Volvo forums. Pelican Parts has many DIY postings, parts and a forum. Sometimes the devil you know may be better than the one you don't. If yours is in otherwise 'good shape' it might be worth the fixes.

Good luck.

=========================================
I think my mechanic is a straight shooter:
Replace heater motor core: $600
Replace ABS chip: $865 (generic chip, not Volvo (Volvo = $800 + labor + tax), chip )
Replace engine mounts: 1 @ $250 or 4 @ $900
Replace 2 axle boots: $530
Replace shifter knob: $160
Major (complete) service: $400
Minor service (today): $160

+
4 new tires: $500
New windshield: $250.

srcarter
04-04-2018, 06:53 PM
If you’d like a second opinion regarding the Volvo, join the mailing list at www.swedishbricks.net.

Lots of Volvo knowledge there, and maybe someone who might want your V70.

Disclaimer: I run the list. :)

When we had a Swedish brick (a 2001 Volvo v70), I used to frequent your site. Thanks for it!

I sold the Volvo to a local woman for about $5K. Fast forward 4 years. She and I are now colleagues (she recognized me). The transmission went out within a year after she purchased it, and she sold it for about $1000 since the repair was on the $3-4K level. Happy to have dodged the repair, but felt a bit bad about it. Good news is that she can easily afford a more expensive car.

Louis
04-04-2018, 06:55 PM
I would say Honda Fit, or if you want to move up a bit, CRV or Rav4.

Can't go wrong with any of those, assuming you have a good ppi.

biker72
04-04-2018, 07:10 PM
I would say Honda Fit, or if you want to move up a bit, CRV or Rav4.

Can't go wrong with any of those, assuming you have a good ppi.

+1
I've owned both a Honda Fit and a CRV. Totally trouble free. I would have no problem buying a RAV4. For me either a Honda or Toyota would be fine.

staggerwing
04-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Sorry, missed the leaking coolant comment. That means heater core.

Doing a little searching, it really isn't too crazy a job for the shadetree mechanic. Some cars, you have to pretty much have to remove the whole dash. Apparently, the Swedes considered the possibility that a replacement may one day be required. Tool count is very low too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD7L9hzHtNo

livingminimal
04-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Toyota Matrix.

Same. My wife and kids get the new cars when we get them, I am keeping on at 127k in my 2005 Matrix. Love it and have no reason to get anything else.

cadence90
04-04-2018, 09:03 PM
.... ..

cadence90
04-04-2018, 09:07 PM
.... ..

livingminimal
04-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Yes, the heater core. I really am in no position to do my own repairs, especially on this car.

Good, another vote for the Matrix. I will look into that.

For those of you not buying off of Craigslist, etc. with experience, or through friends/acquaintances, where does one buy one of these cars, used? Only at dealers, the real ones and not the corner "used car lot" types? I don't even know where to look.

Carmax for sure.

cadence90
04-04-2018, 09:33 PM
.... ..

cmg
04-04-2018, 09:35 PM
honda civic, very reliable, great fuel economy, easy to repair, slow, don't get CVT transmission, long engine life 250k+. Honda Accord, reliability less than civic, standard trans harder to come by, automatic available, avoid cvt trans, low fuel economy 24-27 mph, repair costs higher than civic. honda fit is another great option. $5k should get you a car with around 120-130K miles on it.

toyota corolla 1.8 liter engine standard, larger than civic, faster than civic but not fast, reliable,engine life like 240k+, easy to repair, plenty of forums for repair advice, plenty of youtube repair vids, automatic trans better than honda civic auto, don't get cvt trans, get 5 spd trans if available, ac system easy to repair, diagnostic easy, avoid scions in general shorter engine life, 150K. $5K should get you a car with less than 100k miles on it.

if you want to stretch dollars buy 2 and split the mileage, it will get them to last longer. i rotate yearly mileage between 3 hondas, put about 6K miles on each. if i bought at 150k miles and failure is at 240 and i'm putting 6k a year on them they'll be around for a long time. also engine/transmission replacement is around $3k total so replacement is cheaper than buying new.

yea, old cars in the driveways but funds to do fun stuff, you make the choices.

Ken Robb
04-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Since you have no garage consider how visually exposed (or not) the luggage area is. Anything kept in the trunk of a sedan is hidden but may be exposed to miscreants in a hatchback/station wagon. Sometimes there is a cover that can be deployed to cover the open backends of them.

livingminimal
04-04-2018, 09:43 PM
It's good, reliable, honest?

Ive sold two cars to them. They were great on that end of the transaction. People who I know who have bought from them, have had great experiences. They make the process very easy with online real time browsing of inventory.

pasadena
04-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Rav4, Honda CRV, Corolla, Honda Element, Scion Xb (2008-2015)
are all comfortable, affordable, reliable and not too small.

Honda Fit is an excellent compact, feels bigger on the inside than it looks.
But sounds like it may be a bit small for you?

Sedans like the Toyota Camry, or newer Accord are good. The Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima are highly rated and more content for $

Avoid some of the Honda Civics and Accords from the near past, they were horrible. Some research will find the years to avoid.

Carmax is a good suggestion if you're not very mechanically inclined.
They offer some buyer protection, typically sell cars in great condition and you can see many at one time, browse online, etc.

They are pricier than buying private, but that's a fair trade for most.

Good luck- that V70 does sound destined for the dismantler...

cadence90
04-04-2018, 09:52 PM
.... ..

livingminimal
04-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Good to know, thanks much. I assume the prices to buy are better than at a Santa Monica Blvd Honda/Toyota dealer?

I dont want to say for sure, I live in Orange County. I do know Carmax would be my first stop when shopping used down here.

cadence90
04-04-2018, 09:59 PM
.... ..

NHAero
04-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Another Fit enthusiast. We just traded an '07 for an electric car, and still have the '08. Bought both used, one owner, one private, one at a dealer, with about 35K miles and then owned for eight years. Have done oil changes, tires, and brakes only.
When we moved to MV I had four bikes in mine. It also has a low liftover height, which makes it fairly easy for both humans and old dogs to get into :)
They are buzzy on the highway especially at 70-75 - geared too low IMO. But good mileage and easy to park. And parts way cheaper than the Volvo!
Good luck - my goal is that my bike is worth more than my car :)

John H.
04-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Used Toyota trucks tend to sell at a premium compared to other trucks or other vehicles in California.

jtakeda
04-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Used Toyota trucks tend to sell at a premium compared to other trucks or other vehicles in California.

100% true. But just search. I got a used Tacoma with 130k miles for 3k—camper shell included and full service history. I’m in the Bay Area

pasadena
04-04-2018, 10:13 PM
yes, but i'm skeptical of dealers. It can be a crapshoot.Even CPO cars can be just a reason to upcharge the same car.

I recently looked at a CPO car that was a smoker car! No disclosure and no mention of it. I figured it out carefully looking at it and sitting in it for a while.To me, that's unethical if not illegal.

Used can be a crapshoot- in any case, I would have your mechanic look the car over that you are considering. Any legit seller would be okay with that.

So, in terms of lowest cost: private < CarMax < dealer?

OK, thanks much.

ceolwulf
04-04-2018, 10:15 PM
If you don't absolutely have to have four doors I would take a close look at the Acura RSX. It's basically the same drivetrain as the Civic but in an attractive hatchback body. Many of them have had hard lives but if you get an automatic it's more likely to have been treated gently.

I was looking for Acura TSX wagons as well but they're pretty thin on the ground and expensive but if you can find one that would be a completely perfect option. The exact replacement for the V70 but in a reliable Honda version.

Another very fine option would be a Lexus IS300 wagon ("Sportcross"). I have an IS300 sedan and it's been by far the most reliable car I've owned. The sedan is unfortunately not the most practical thing as the rear seats don't fold down. And the wagon is uncommon. But could be well worth looking for. An excellent driving machine, although a bit hard on the fuel bill (less of a concern in the US, up here it's a bit ouch).

Left field option: if you really only drive locally, how about a Nissan Leaf? There's very little to go wrong in them. And used values for early ones are in the basement. Then you can pass by gas stations and smile and wave.

pasadena
04-04-2018, 10:20 PM
The reason the Nissan Leaf resale is so low is range. It's got the range of a 12 yr old's baseball throw.
Replacement batteries will basically total the car - electric version of his current situation.

Louis
04-04-2018, 10:23 PM
If you don't absolutely have to have four doors I would take a close look at the Acura RSX. It's basically the same drivetrain as the Civic but in an attractive hatchback body. Many of them have had hard lives but if you get an automatic it's more likely to have been treated gently.

I absolutely agree that the RSX was / is a great car. The only problem is that they stopped selling them in the US in 2006, so anything you find is at least twelve years old.

cadence90
04-04-2018, 10:26 PM
.... ..

KarlC
04-04-2018, 10:28 PM
I just bought a 2008 Ford Explorer with 58k miles on it for $6k from the original owner. Its for one of my guys for work and its in really nice well cared for condition.

Lots of good deals out there to be found if you look.

cadence90
04-04-2018, 10:36 PM
.... ..

cadence90
04-04-2018, 10:57 PM
.... ..

cadence90
04-05-2018, 12:54 AM
.... ..

Louis
04-05-2018, 01:04 AM
Try cars.com and searchtempest.com (that's an aggregator).

They should give you an idea what prices are like in your area.

cadence90
04-05-2018, 01:10 AM
.... ..

Louis
04-05-2018, 01:15 AM
Truecar is another option to check prices.

Of course, there's a difference between truecar, cars.com, and searchtempest vs carmax. Carmax is an actual retailer / seller where you can go see the cars (if it's at a lot near you). The others are lists of stuff that's available out there.

likebikes
04-05-2018, 01:21 AM
there aren't any 5k cars on carmax, anywhere. that's not their market segment.

i'm still flabbergasted at the thought of owning a car for 1,500 annual miles.

cadence90
04-05-2018, 01:24 AM
.... ..

R3awak3n
04-05-2018, 01:30 AM
Another ppace to look would be auto trader. Dont know if they are a major player still but I bought a car private sale there 10 years ago. They show both dealer and private sale cars. Ebay might be another option, set search for LA and surounding areas.

$5k with low miles is not an easy feat imo, will take some luck to find something good. I just bought a car last year for my wife and I and man, cars now a days are not cheap

Louis
04-05-2018, 01:31 AM
If you aren't in a huge rush to buy I wouldn't get too bummed out.

$5k can get you a perfectly good and reliable car. You just have to be a bit patient and look around.

Louis
04-05-2018, 01:32 AM
Another ppace to look would be auto trader.

Agreed. I was trying to think of them earlier but couldn't remember the name.

cadence90
04-05-2018, 01:50 AM
.... ..

R3awak3n
04-05-2018, 01:57 AM
500 miles, 1500 miles, who cares. I had my car while I lives in brooklyn, was a huge pain in the ass but I had it when I needed it. Also had a dog and It came in very handy when we had to take him to the hospital, amongst other trips. Rental cars dont want dogs in them.

cadence90
04-05-2018, 02:08 AM
.... ..

cadence90
04-05-2018, 02:20 AM
.... ..

R3awak3n
04-05-2018, 03:23 AM
Thats terryfing to know

cadence90
04-05-2018, 03:40 AM
.... ..

NHAero
04-05-2018, 05:46 AM
Autotempest and Cars.com are both decent search tools and you can set age, price, and distance limits, and maybe dealer or private only. Find half acdozen and show it to yr mechanic and start with the one he suggests.

mktng
04-05-2018, 06:20 AM
Given that it has some history to you. At least for me, I'd do my best to keep it.

Nice thing is that..you own it. No payments.

Why not try and tackle some repairs DIY?

Most of what you're paying for is labour.

A good option for a used. If you can locate one in good condition with fair mileage. Mazda 3 2.3 hatchback. Cheap to own and operate. Cheaper used that comparable Toyota's and Honda's. Parts are readily available. Alot more fun to drive compared to other offerings in its class and price range.

But vote is slowly work at it. Keep the Volvo going :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

paredown
04-05-2018, 07:09 AM
Given that it has some history to you. At least for me, I'd do my best to keep it.

Nice thing is that..you own it. No payments.

Why not try and tackle some repairs DIY?

Most of what you're paying for is labour.

A good option for a used. If you can locate one in good condition with fair mileage. Mazda 3 2.3 hatchback. Cheap to own and operate. Cheaper used that comparable Toyota's and Honda's. Parts are readily available. Alot more fun to drive compared to other offerings in its class and price range.

But vote is slowly work at it. Keep the Volvo going :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
It sounds like Cadence's recent health issues have steered him away from DIY--a point I can agree with. We dumped our 1999 V70 a little over a year ago because it needed more work (steering rack), and I was seriously not able to deal with a repair of that magnitude given my state of health at the time. Up till that point I had done DIY--and most of the items mentioned (except the windshield).

We ended up buying one of the fairly scarce 2011 Acura TSX wagons--CPO, fairly low mileage (40k) but it came in around $16k if memory serves. We had a less than stellar experience with the dealer--more shady than the CPO would indicate. It's a nice car, certainly comfy--but I miss the Volvo.

Like the OP--it was having a trip to the hospital in the dead of winter in a car that wasn't 100% reliable that convinced me it was time for a newish car... and not being able to stomach taking the whole suspension apart when I felt like **** on a stick sealed it.

(Of the econo boxes we drove, I'm a fan of the Mazda 3--they get less love than some others so resale is lower. I'm not really a Honda/Acura fan, and driving a current gen Toyo Camry/Corolla is about as much fun as going to the dentist.)

staggerwing
04-05-2018, 08:00 AM
For those of you not buying off of Craigslist, etc. with experience, or through friends/acquaintances, where does one buy one of these cars, used? Only at dealers, the real ones and not the corner "used car lot" types? I don't even know where to look.

I tend to buy off of Craigslist, but it takes a little work to separate the flakes from the honest folks. But, most individual sellers, unless they are serial flippers, are easier to read than car lot hucksters. Ideally, you can hold out for a single or two owner car with service records.

Since you have a good relationship with your garage, ask if they will do a pre-purchase for you. Expect to pay $50-100, depending, but will be money well spent.

PS Sorry, missed earlier that you indicated shop with do a pre-purchase for $140. Also, with rather low annual mileage needs, a higher mileage car, especially if well maintained, would be all that you need.

tuscanyswe
04-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Really no afghans? Im somewhat shocked. I had you pegged down i thought :banana:

Do like i did. Get your italian dream car and pray it does not break down because if it doesent it could en up beeing an investment instead .) I dont intend to drive it no more than 2000km per year maybe less. So roughly 10% of what my bikes will roll, i can live with that .)

Gsinill
04-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Based on your situation and what you want to spend, Toyota or Honda IMHO.
(This coming from a car nut that only owns German cars)

KarlC
04-05-2018, 10:20 AM
I just bought a 2008 Ford Explorer with 58k miles on it for $6k from the original owner. Its for one of my guys for work and its in really nice well cared for condition.

Lots of good deals out there to be found if you look.

That sounds like a good deal. I'm not looking for Fords but out of curiosity where did you find it? Acquaintance, CarMax, etc?

Between mine and my wife's personal car hobbies and our business needs I end up buying several cars / trucks each year. I never buy from dealers as I dont want to pay their mark ups. I buy from private owners off CL, Auto Trader or even EBay. I try not to buy unless I know I can use it for a while and then sell it for more that I bought it for. Its not that hard to find good deals on cars you just have to hunt like you would for any other good deal.

mktng
04-05-2018, 10:48 AM
for example.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2008-mazda3-gt-ltd-avail-sedan-2-3-l/1344663631?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I know this doesnt do much for you, as its local to me. But its a good example.

2008 Mazda 3 GT $4300USD. 46000 miles.

An equivalent honda in that condition would easily be a $1000 + more.

Ozz
04-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Based on your situation and what you want to spend, Toyota or Honda IMHO.
(This coming from a car nut that only owns German cars)

+1

I have a 2003 Honda Pilot (100K miles) and a 2008 Toyota Prius (74K miles) and have never done anything to them except tires and scheduled maintenance, and I don't think this is unusual. Both still run like they came off the lot....

The Prius has tons of room for bikes with rear seats folded, and room for backseat passengers when seats are up...the body style is the same as what most the taxis are you see.

AutoTrader is good for finding private party sales, although some car dealers sell thru them as well.

Just as an FYI - you might want to make sure you know where the car is from and was originally owned...the Hurricane flooding last year in Houston, etc totaled a lot of cars that might be showing up as "used"....be sure to look for flood damage. https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/beware-of-flood-damaged-cars-196494

Also, for the mileage you drive, stay away from a lease...not worth it.

Good luck!

Ken Robb
04-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Since the prices of the recommended Japanese cars are so high it might make sense for you to consider newer but cheaper American cars with fewer miles. The GM 3.8L V-6 lasts a long time with little maintenance required and cheap parts that are available everywhere in the USA.

I see quite a few 6-10 year old Buicks that are loaded with comfort extras for sale with 40,000-75,000 miles for little $$. Lots of these were owned by retired seniors who drove little and had the dealer do routine maintenance by the book so they should provide years of cheap transportation.

Ken Robb
04-05-2018, 12:12 PM
For fun I just searched La Jolla Craigslist for Buicks $2500-6,000. There were several with 45,000-80,000 miles that looked good for $3200-$5,000. A couple were 2002 or 2003 but one was a 2014. Interestingly there were several with 150,000+ miles too. I wouldn't buy one of them but their existence does speak to how long they can last.

Ralph
04-05-2018, 01:54 PM
This makes most sense to me....and it was what I was pointing out in my original reply.

My smart Dad always told me......RE buying cars. "if buying new, try to buy one that holds it value well". If buying used...."try to buy on that didn't hold it's value well".

cmg
04-05-2018, 02:52 PM
This makes most sense to me....and it was what I was pointing out in my original reply.

My smart Dad always told me......RE buying cars. "if buying new, try to buy one that holds it value well". If buying used...."try to buy on that didn't hold it's value well".

A BMW will lose more of it's value used, especially after 80k miles than a Honda.

oldpotatoe
04-05-2018, 03:19 PM
I live in Los Angeles, and as of today need a "new" car. The car I have is a 1999 Volvo V70 wagon I inherited when my father passed away. The repair estimate today is +/- $5000, and my mechanic says he doesn't think that expense is worth it for a 20-year old car. I have never bought an actually new car, and definitely cannot afford one now. In fact I could barely afford the $5,000 repair if I were to go through with it.

I drive very little annually, but do need a car that is reliable and relatively easy/inexpensive to maintain.

I have only ever had Volvos, primarily because I highly trust my mechanic, who has serviced my few cars for over 25 years.

My mechanic said that while he loves (and owns) Volvos, in my situation (local driving, no long cross-country, <1,500 miles/year) he would not really recommend another Volvo for me now, because while they are best in terms of safety they are also expensive to maintain. In fact, this '99 V70 has been a relative nightmare.

He services Volvo, Acura, Toyota, and Hondas, and I would much prefer a car that he can service, so it would need to be one of those brands. He said that his initial suggestion would be to look for a less than 10-year-old Honda (Accord, Fit, or CRV...definitely no hybrids) or Toyota (Camry, Rav4). He doesn't sell cars, and does not have any clients currently selling.

I really know nothing at all about cars, so any good and experienced advice, within the above parameters, would be greatly appreciated.

To start:

Honda or Toyota, or are they equal?
Are any of those models listed above preferable to others?
Where to begin looking? Dealers? Craigslist? Other?
My mechanic says that he thinks I can "sell" my V70 as is to the state of CA via a "Buy-Back" program for $1,000-$1,500, so + the $5,000 repair my max budget would be +/- $6,000, less even better. Is that feasible?
Etc.

Thanks much.

Lease a Honda Civic...

cadence90
04-05-2018, 04:13 PM
.... ..

cadence90
04-05-2018, 04:21 PM
.... ..

wc1934
04-05-2018, 04:45 PM
another option - buying a used car from a rental agency.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-blog/2014/03/should-you-buy-a-used-rental-car

mhespenheide
04-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Personally, I would go with a private sale, probably either through Craigslist or Autotrader. If you

Meet with the person and they seem (at least moderately) trustworthy
Get a carfax, and
Have a buyer's inspection done by a mechanic you trust,
that's about as reliable as you can get with a used car under $10k. Over $10k-$15k, go with something "certified used" with a short warranty, but not on the low end.

Perhaps you know someone locally who's a car afficionado who would be willing to accompany you to a first meeting and look over the car in exchange for lunch or a six-pack?

(As to the car itself, I would go for a Matrix or Fit, but I like wagons.)

Ken Robb
04-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Unless "your" mechanic is helping pay for the car I wouldn't limit my choices on such a limited budget to cars he works on. Volvo mechanics may be rare but most of the brands you should consider can be worked on by MANY mechanics.Heck, at 1500 miles a year if you got a good PPI you shouldn't need anything but oil changes for years. Don't overthink this.

cadence90
04-05-2018, 06:13 PM
.... ..

93KgBike
04-05-2018, 07:34 PM
I agree with the person that suggested leasing a Toyota. RAV4 hybrids are fun.

jlyon
04-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Toyota Avalons are nice cars. Just avoid the 2005 and 2006 models. They were aimed towards older people and usually can find a low mileage one.

But in your case I think the Matrix or Honda fit would do nicely.

weisan
04-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Unless "your" mechanic is helping pay for the car I wouldn't limit my choices on such a limited budget to cars he works on. Volvo mechanics may be rare but most of the brands you should consider can be worked on by MANY mechanics.Heck, at 1500 miles a year if you got a good PPI you shouldn't need anything but oil changes for years. Don't overthink this.

How should I put it?

What Ken pal said is really all there is to it. Not that what others said are useless or redundant but...man, this is really getting way more complicated than it needs to be.

cadence90
04-05-2018, 09:31 PM
.... ..

oldpotatoe
04-06-2018, 07:07 AM
Leasing scares me. I don't really get it, at least in my case. Plus, doesn't one have to be fully employed to qualify? I'm not, which is another (budget) problem.

Very low milage(you), easy to get into...yes you have to qualify but full time employment isn't a requirement. Free service in most cases. I donno....just dropping $$ on a used car that might end being like the Volvo...Once the lease is up, release another one or buyout. My son did this and the projected buyout is less than a 3 year old Civic in the open market..

charliedid
04-06-2018, 08:02 AM
If you get a HONDA Fit you won't even need a mechanic!

Wish I kept mine.

The trail of Volvos were more dear to me but....you know.

AngryScientist
04-06-2018, 08:16 AM
i dont know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but one thing you definitely have to be vigilant of, especially in the price range you are shopping is the glut of "flood cars" on the used market. it's big profitable business for sellers to buy a bunch of flood cars from an effected area, fix them just good enough to get them running and move them to an area that didnt flood and sell them to unsuspecting suckers.

modernish cars with lots of sensors and electronics will be hugely effected by taking a dunk and be a recurring nightmare that you want to avoid at all cost.

your mechanic should already know this, and be aware of what to look for, but, depending on where you live, he may not have his radar up for that.

93KgBike
04-06-2018, 11:56 AM
http://img.favcars.com/subaru/legacy/subaru_legacy_1989_pictures_3.jpg

I bought '91 Subaru Legacy Wagon with 60k miles for $5k in '95. I put 110k miles on it during grad-school, and only serviced it once before gifting it to a younger relative in '00. It was something to do with the steer joint. Great car. I followed the fluids etc. schedule. Good time in that car. Wagons are hard to beat for getting to 'base-camp'.

Gsinill
04-06-2018, 01:43 PM
One additional thought.
I know nothing about Volvos but if you were happy with yours and have a mechanic that can work on it, maybe consider another V70?
Did a quick search on eBay and it looks like you should be able to find one in your price range.
E.g. A 2007 with 70K miles, Florida car just sold for $5,200.

cadence90
05-02-2018, 05:52 PM
.... ..

staggerwing
05-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Since you pretty much know what you want, the strongest advice is to be patient, troll Craigslist a couple times per day, and pounce with cash in hand when your "precious" appears.

FWIW, you can set a few qualifiers on the left hand side of the Craiglist page and save the finished result as a bookmark. I would check "include nearby areas", and the "clean" box, under "title status" plus mileage and age limits.

You can also type in a model, but you would need to save a bookmark for each link, as I haven't figured away for it to do multiple models.

mhespenheide
05-02-2018, 09:06 PM
You can also type in a model, but you would need to save a bookmark for each link, as I haven't figured away for it to do multiple models.

Set up the qualifiers on the left column as desired, then type the multiple search terms in the search field separated by a vertical bar, like so:

"CR-V|Rav4|HR-V|Fit"
On the Macintosh keyboard, this is above the backslash.

Of course, it can help to add variations in spelling/notation as well, like so:
"CR-V|CRV|Rav4|Rav|Rav-4|HR-V|HRV|Fit"

You can also add exceptions; if you don't want one in white, you could search
"CR-V|CRV|Rav4|Rav|Rav-4|HR-V|HRV|Fit -white"

Then bookmark as appropriate, and search daily.

staggerwing
05-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Set up the qualifiers on the left column as desired, then type the multiple search terms in the search field separated by a vertical bar, like so:

"CR-V|Rav4|HR-V|Fit"
On the Macintosh keyboard, this is above the backslash.

Of course, it can help to add variations in spelling/notation as well, like so:
"CR-V|CRV|Rav4|Rav|Rav-4|HR-V|HRV|Fit"

You can also add exceptions; if you don't want one in white, you could search
"CR-V|CRV|Rav4|Rav|Rav-4|HR-V|HRV|Fit -white"

Then bookmark as appropriate, and search daily.

Cool, thanks. I tried old school, using AND and OR, with quotes. Your method is more better. ;)

cadence90
05-02-2018, 09:44 PM
.... ..