PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Traveling with tools

C40_guy
04-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Evidently, the TSA has a rule regarding tool length. If your tool is too long, and they see/find it, they will make you check it or they will confiscate it.

I just lost a well-used, long-loved Phil Wood pedal wrench. :(

Funny thing is, I’ve traveled with it many times before...but today may have been the first time I carried it through security versus sending it in checked luggage.

Not sure of the limit, maybe 8”. You might want to confirm that and measure your tool before you travel.

Edit: 7” per TSA.gov (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/screwdriverswrenchespliers)

R3awak3n
04-04-2018, 10:44 AM
man, I must have gotten lucky. Last time I took my rando bag with me and was full of tools... but they may have been shorter than 7in. Once I checked my bag in I though, mmmm maybe I should have put all this crap in the bag but luckily TSA didn't mess with me

Tickdoc
04-04-2018, 10:55 AM
this thread could derail so easily:banana:

fa63
04-04-2018, 11:00 AM
Same here; lost a pedal wrench before I knew about the rule :(

Evidently, the TSA has a rule regarding tool length. If your tool is too long, and they see/find it, they will make you check it or they will confiscate it.

I just lost a well-used, long-loved Phil Wood pedal wrench. :(

Funny thing is, I’ve traveled with it many times before...but today may have been the first time I carried it through security versus sending it in checked luggage.

Not sure of the limit, maybe 8”. You might want to confirm that and measure your tool before you travel.

Edit: 7” per TSA.gov (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/screwdriverswrenchespliers)

.RJ
04-04-2018, 11:28 AM
careful you dont set off the "groin alarm" :banana:

Jaybee
04-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Can't put a price on safety :rolleyes:

Sorry you lost out to security theater.

dbrown
04-04-2018, 12:13 PM

I’m watching this thread to see all of those witty responses....

bikingshearer
04-05-2018, 02:26 PM
One should always remember that, depending on whether you are being relieved of some of your possessions or getting a full-body pat-down, TSA stands for either "Take Something Away" or "Touch Someone's A$$."

FriarQuade
04-05-2018, 10:49 PM
One should always remember that, depending on whether you are being relieved of some of your possessions or getting a full-body pat-down, TSA stands for either "Take Something Away" or "Touch Someone's A$$."

Thousands Standing Around is my favorite.

It is 7", I've had luck calling things like calipers "instruments" instead of tools. I've also had to give a firm STOP to TSA as they almost open my calipers upside down and spill them onto the floor. I've also been able to tell them how long the tool is and they just took my word for it. Seems finding a tape measure is difficult in the security zone.

I've carried on a full smoked brisket on a flight before, got some jelious looks but no problems.

54ny77
04-05-2018, 11:03 PM
If your flight lasts longer than 4 hours, consult your doctor immediately.

:banana:

Louis
04-05-2018, 11:10 PM
I just tell them to keep away from my nuts.

cadence90
04-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Thousands Standing Around is my favorite.

It is 7", I've had luck calling things like calipers "instruments" instead of tools. I've also had to give a firm STOP to TSA as they almost open my calipers upside down and spill them onto the floor. I've also been able to tell them how long the tool is and they just took my word for it. Seems finding a tape measure is difficult in the security zone.

I've carried on a full smoked brisket on a flight before, got some jelious looks but no problems.

Well, there you go then!

"Pardon me, officer, but that's NOT my tool; that's my "brisket-eating-instrument"...."

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/brisket_zpsahaawgfu.jpg (http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/traghetter/media/brisket_zpsahaawgfu.jpg.html)

oliver1850
04-05-2018, 11:49 PM
I thought flying sucked 35 years ago, can't imagine doing it now.

alancw3
04-06-2018, 03:10 AM
several years ago i was up visiting my daughter and bought a new small set of metric allen wrenches at a local home depot. confiscated from my carryon bag at airport. in sealed wrapper. largest wrench about five inches long. i am sure some tsa agent just got a new free set on wrenches.