PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: You're at a bar, what do you order? (A request for cocktail recipes)

Nooch
04-04-2018, 08:23 AM
TL : DR: What's your favorite cocktail to order out, and what's the recipe?

As some of you know, I've been a server for a bunch of years -- it's allowed me the extra income to provide for my growing, young family, and given me a lot of social interaction that I otherwise miss out on. Taken away from my riding a bit, sure, but we all do what we have to do.

At any rate, got a call yesterday from my manager -- "I've finally got you behind the bar." While the servers at my restaurant do well, the bartenders do amazingly well, and it's an opportunity to cut my schedule from 4 shifts to 2 and probably make more money in less time -- ideal with a newborn at home.

My only issue is that I trained for a little bit last year, and then it fell flat, so I've not been behind the bar in probably 8 months and well, I don't remember a lot. Going in to train tonight, but I figured I'd ask you guys: You're out to a bar, what do you order?

More importantly, what are you favorite cocktail recipes? I'm just hoping to commit to memory, outside of our signatures, some of the random things a broad clientele might ask for. I get strange requests at the table sometimes, but I'm sure our bartender's get asked for stranger.

daker13
04-04-2018, 08:42 AM
A dry martini is very good test drink to order at a bar, because most bars/restaurants make bad ones. Typically, they make a big deal about how artisanal the gin is, and then they serve it lukewarm. I'll order a gin and tonic, but even then, the tonic is often flat. So I usually just order beer at a bar, because I find it the most reliable.

eddief
04-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Frozen glass, frozen gin, 3 big olives, maybe a tad of olive juice.

Take two and don't call me in the morning.

Almost no bars keep gin in the freezer, more should.

Nothing like a well done Bloody Mary.

nicrump
04-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Beefeaters London Dry

cold cold cold.

I'll take a 4:1 martini with it if they have a quality vermouth on hand.

We usually just make them at home.

So far it looks like gin for the win!

polyhistoric
04-04-2018, 08:56 AM
Learn the classics - few "bars" can make a solid Old Fashioned or Manhattan. Seriously, the Old Fashioned is one of the most butchered drinks.

Focus on getting a good balance when working with the amaros/vermouth. Not every drink should be as bitter as a Negroni or sweet like some 1980's beachside slush.

For those that like a deep sipper: 1oz bourbon, 1oz high-proof rye, .5 oz Amaro Montenegro. Stir and serve it neat in a chilled glass.

Imbibe Magazine has some great on-line recipes.

glepore
04-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Old Fashioned, currently back "in" fashion.
same, but no cherry, sub maple syrup and ginger (the pregrated refrigerated stuff, not powder).

Something not many places do right- Sazerac. Coat glass with Pernod, toss. Add a few dashes of Peynaud's (NOT Angustora). In another glass, chill a good Rye. Strain into glass#1, add a lemon twist or two.

Seramount
04-04-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm a fan of the Manhattan...potent, simple to make.

but I don't care for what most bars serve. they tend to use waaaay too much sweet vermouth. even when I request the most minimal amount (like 10 drops), they want to put in an entire shot of the stuff. tastes like cough medicine to me...have sent back numerous drinks for that sin.

another one I rarely order is a margarita. they get murdered by the use of nasty, cheap triple sec.

a well-made martini is blissful...good gin surrounded by tiny ice crystals. if it wasn't 9 a.m., I might make one now...!

people that order sweet, syrupy concoctions usually don't care about the quality of the drink. if it has alcohol in it, they're good.

joosttx
04-04-2018, 09:03 AM

Nothing like a well done Bloody Mary.

this issue with this style is it leaves water in the mix. The best way I have seen a martini made is following the principle always keep the gin moving to reduce contamination of H20.

1) Chill glass with ice water
2) dump ice water and wipe clean and present
3) add thimble of vermouth to glass
4) add gin (Boodles) to shaker and ice and shake hard for like 20 seconds
5) swirl out vermouth on the floor so it coats the inner glass (with shaker in the other hand)
6) Pour immediately.

Never put the shaker down.

Martini's are like breasts. One is not enough and three is too many.

Luwabra
04-04-2018, 09:11 AM
i keep it easy.

glass, ice, good bourbon

if i get mixy and its summertime glass, ice fresh limejuice, good vodka, and pass the fresh tonic water over the top :)

AngryScientist
04-04-2018, 09:11 AM
depends on the bar, the company, and my mood.

scotch&soda is the go-to, almost always. if it's a good whiskey bar - scotch neat. on the rocks occasionally.

if i know the bartender is good - martinis.

what night are you working? i'll be in to run you through the ringer.

Seramount
04-04-2018, 09:13 AM
note to bartenders:

make my first drink suitably strong. if you short-pour me on that one, there won't be a second round and your tip will suffer.

just sayin'...

pdonk
04-04-2018, 09:13 AM
A few of my favourites

Paper Plane and its variations

Ice.
3/4 ounce bourbon.
3/4 ounce Nonino Quintessentia amaro - works better than other amaros
3/4 ounce Aperol
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice.

Combine and shake

Negroni and its variations - I prefer tequila/mezcal to gin - combine and stir

1 oz Gin, 1 oz Campari, 1 oz, Sweet red Vermouth

God Father
1.5 oz Scotch whisky, 1.5 oz parts Amaretto - pour over ice

Mezcal/Moscow Mule(vodka) / Dark and Stormy(rum) stir in glass

4 oz Ginger beer, 1 1/2 oz Vodka or mezcal or rum, 1/6 oz Lime juice

French 75 2 oz Champagne, 1/2 oz Lemon juice, 1 oz Gin, 2 Dashes Simple syrup - shake gin and simple syrup, top with champagne

Remember - drinks with juice - shake, drinks all alcohol stir. Also glassware should match the drink (coupe vs highball vs lowball)

For reference I found Death and Co's book to be really good and it explained quite a few things.

A few other tricks include a laphroig or mezcal rinse to add nose to the drink as well as using a drop of chartreuse to add mouth feel and a herbaceous flavour.

kppolich
04-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Here in Wisconsin: Old Fashioned or Bloody Mary if before 2pm. I have noticed a lot of bars in this state using brandy in their old fashioned. Anyone else?

jmoore
04-04-2018, 09:43 AM
i keep it easy.

glass, ice, good bourbon

if i get mixy and its summertime glass, ice fresh limejuice, good vodka, and pass the fresh tonic water over the top :)

agreed. 100%

kevinvc
04-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Screaming viking, lightly bruised.

Birddog
04-04-2018, 10:07 AM
I go out with some buddies once a month and although I'm not too in to cocktails they are. The usual orders are for Manhattans, Old Fashions, Cosmopolitans, and Martinis. Nail those down and then start working on the others. If it's a blender drink you only have to be close.

Ozz
04-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Red wine
Margarita (rocks) - if handmade (no sweet pre-mix)
Scotch rocks
Bourbon rocks

wc1934
04-04-2018, 11:14 AM
I second the Negroni:
Equal parts: Gin, Campari and Sweet Vermouth

Sometimes substitute Bourbon for the gin.

Bob Ross
04-04-2018, 11:24 AM
My wife -- who's far more likely than me to order a cocktail when out for the evening -- would say a Lemon Drop Martini: vodka (or lemon-infused vodka), lemon juice, Cointreau, and fine granulated sugar. I have no idea what the proportions are. Has to have a sugared rim too.

On the rare occasions when I'm not drinking beer, I'll usually order a Manhattan:
- 3 or 4 parts bourbon (I was once told that a "Manhattan" is by definition made with Makers Mark bourbon, but I don't know how true that is and besides, life's too short to not try all the wonderful bourbons out there)
- 1 part sweet vermouth
- a splash or two of Angostura Bitters
- shaken over ice, then strained into a martini glass with a maraschino cherry

...or a Tanqueray martini "with more olives than anyone's ever asked for before". That's always a fun test just to see how many they bring. Also important to clarify that it not be a "dirty martini"

When I want to really mess w/ the bartender's mind, I'll order an Educated Cosmopolitan:
- 4 parts vodka
- 3 parts cranberry juice
- 1 part Cointreau
- 1 part Chambord
- 1 part lime juice
- shaken over ice, then strained into a martini glass with a twist (lemon or lime, your call)

IFRider
04-04-2018, 11:45 AM
So, clearly a couple of years ago there was a big push for Hendricks Gin. Two favorites of the time;

Pink Lady - Great summer time drink
2 parts Hendricks
1 part St. Germain
3 parts Pink Grapefruit
Dash Grapefruit Bitters
Shaken like your having a seizure

Martini (I forget the name, we call them Lady Slippers at home)
3 Parts Hendricks
1 part St. Germain
Champagne float

Maple Old Fashion/Manhatten (I don't recall, Bourbon based I had at Woodstock Inn in Vermont)
Makers Mark
Maple Syrup
wide slice of orange peel (using a vegetable peeler)
Cinnamon Stick

Lastly, Ina Garten's Duke Cosmo which is more a fresh lemon drink than cranberry.

Bentley
04-04-2018, 11:48 AM
A few of my favourites

Paper Plane and its variations

Ice.
3/4 ounce bourbon.
3/4 ounce Nonino Quintessentia amaro - works better than other amaros
3/4 ounce Aperol
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice.

Combine and shake

Negroni and its variations - I prefer tequila/mezcal to gin - combine and stir

1 oz Gin, 1 oz Campari, 1 oz, Sweet red Vermouth

God Father
1.5 oz Scotch whisky, 1.5 oz parts Amaretto - pour over ice

Mezcal/Moscow Mule(vodka) / Dark and Stormy(rum) stir in glass

4 oz Ginger beer, 1 1/2 oz Vodka or mezcal or rum, 1/6 oz Lime juice

French 75 2 oz Champagne, 1/2 oz Lemon juice, 1 oz Gin, 2 Dashes Simple syrup - shake gin and simple syrup, top with champagne

Remember - drinks with juice - shake, drinks all alcohol stir. Also glassware should match the drink (coupe vs highball vs lowball)

For reference I found Death and Co's book to be really good and it explained quite a few things.

A few other tricks include a laphroig or mezcal rinse to add nose to the drink as well as using a drop of chartreuse to add mouth feel and a herbaceous flavour.

Substitute decent Bourbon/Whiskey for Rum/Vodka All of these variations are refreshing and easy to make.

MattTuck
04-04-2018, 12:01 PM
I enjoy a drink that the bar tender called a "bad medicine"

It is a variation on a drink called the penicillin (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/11/time-for-a-drink-penicillin-cocktail.html).

Traditional version
2 ounces blended Scotch whisky (Famous Grouse works well)
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
3/4 ounce honey syrup (see note)
3 slices fresh ginger
1/4 ounce Islay single malt Scotch (such as Laphroaig)

His version (approximated)
2 ounces bourbon (buffalo trace works well)
3/4 ounce ginger/honey cordial
1/4 ounce Islay single malt Scotch (lagavulin 16) in a spray bottle, aerosolized in the glass before pouring the drink, then floated, and sprayed again on the top of the drink.

gives it that smoky flavor without pissing through your good stuff.

pdonk
04-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Substitute decent Bourbon/Whiskey for Rum/Vodka All of these variations are refreshing and easy to make.

"Bourbon Mule" AKA a Mamie Taylor forgot about it.

Also forgot

paloma / greyhound- Three parts grapefruit soda, One part tequila or vodka

This is a crazy rabbit hole to go down.

Jaybee
04-04-2018, 12:55 PM
"Bourbon Mule" AKA a Mamie Taylor forgot about it.

Also forgot

paloma / greyhound- Three parts grapefruit soda, One part tequila or vodka

This is a crazy rabbit hole to go down.

I'll do las palomas all night (or all day). The key is Jarritos toronja instead of any American grapefruit soda like squirt. I also have the juice of one key lime in mine.

or, an alternate:

fresh grapefruit juice
a nice, but not too nice tequila plata
lime
splash of a good sharp ginger beer
taijin or other limey powdered chile on the rim.

jwalther
04-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Blanton's over a single cube. All you need to know.

gngroup
04-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Martini's are like breasts. One is not enough and three is too many.

This made me laugh out loud! Quote of the day!

Salty
04-04-2018, 01:28 PM
I prefer ice cold dry martinis at home (gin from the refrigerator, glasses and mixing glass from the freezer, mixed 5:1) with onions instead of olives, which technically makes it a "Gibson." I also like Manhattans in the winter months.

There are some really great YouTube channels on mixing cocktails that you might want to check out. Here are two of my favorites:

"Cocktail Chemistry" - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-o0CfpOyFJOfyWKtqS1hZQ

"How to Drink" - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCioZY1p0bZ4Xt-yodw8_cBQ

Seramount
04-04-2018, 01:38 PM
...I was once told that a "Manhattan" is by definition made with Makers Mark bourbon, but I don't know how true that is...

have always heard that the original version called for rye whiskey...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_(cocktail)

my own preference is to use half rye (Sazerac) and half bourbon (1792). I find maraschino cherries to be vile, I substitute a dried Montmorency one instead...it's a huge improvement.

daker13
04-04-2018, 02:19 PM

I endorse eddief's recipe and Nick's ratio (4:1).

In fact, I don't mind the whole extra dry 'just wave the bottle of vermouth over the glass' thing. Tanqueray, not Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, or Boodles. I can't stand heavily herbal gins, it has to be a London gin. I put the shaker in the freezer for a few minutes, that helps too.

Few bartenders can make a good martini, and few people know how to drink a martini. If one is going to nurse it for half an hour, the bartender's elaborate rituals for keeping the gin cold are all for nothing.

Nooch
04-04-2018, 02:50 PM
I endorse eddief's recipe and Nick's ratio (4:1).

In fact, I don't mind the whole extra dry 'just wave the bottle of vermouth over the glass' thing. Tanqueray, not Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, or Boodles. I can't stand heavily herbal gins, it has to be a London gin. I put the shaker in the freezer for a few minutes, that helps too.

Few bartenders can make a good martini, and few people know how to drink a martini. If one is going to nurse it for half an hour, the bartender's elaborate rituals for keeping the gin cold are all for nothing.

Honestly, unless asked for, we cut the vermouth entirely (that much I know), and we also (with the exception of one old school bartender at my place) shake our martinis, as opposed to stirring. Which I only understand because of Bond -- clearly shaken (at the time) was contrary to the traditional ("not stirred").

Thanks for all these -- a lot of stuff I've not even heard of, which was what I was hoping for!!

CPP
04-04-2018, 03:05 PM
A skeleton walks into a bar and says to the bartender,

"give me a beer...... and a mop"

staggerwing
04-04-2018, 03:17 PM
My new favorite, from a recent NOLA trip:

Last Word cocktail: Equal parts Green Chartreuse, Dry Gin, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, and fresh lime juice. Stir with ice for a bit, and strain into coupe glass.

This one knocked my socks off, in more ways than one. FWIW, green Chartreuse is 110 proof, and Beefeaters in 94.

Rye for a Manhattan. Most days, I will use the locally produced Bulleit Rye (MGP in Lawrenceburg, Indiana). Will occasionally splurge for High West Rendevous or Double Rye.

zetroc
04-04-2018, 03:35 PM
I read recently that the Boulevardier is making a comeback, and have seen it on a few menus myself, so it might be one worth learning about. It's like a Negroni, but with rye instead of gin.

polyhistoric
04-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Easy rule - shake if it contains juice, stir if it’s spirits only. If doing a sour or drink with egg white, dry shake without ice first, then add ice and give it a couple more shakes.

ergott
04-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Interesting stuff. I don't drink a lot of cocktails and most recently I've started with martinis if it's an upscale place I trust. They've all been with vodka since I love a good vodka, but now I want to try one with gin. There's a local gin I enjoy neat so I'd give that a go.

When in doubt I look at the shelf for anything I'd like to sip straight up. Few bars have the kind of beer selection I want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
04-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Old Fashioned. But if it's just some fruit at the bottom of the well bourbon you're doing it wrong.

Hell of it is it's really easy to make decently, and I'm baffled by professional bartenders who screw it up.

mtechnica
04-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Vodka martini, shaken, extra dirty

HenryA
04-04-2018, 05:21 PM
You would be surprised at the number of sub-standard Gin and Tonics I have experienced. Its so simple but apparently like scrambled eggs it can be messed up, but damn, it takes some work. How does that happen?

Otherwise get the basics down (for your location and customers) and most of your customers will be happy. Then throw in a few of your own tweaks to show off a bit.

notsew
04-04-2018, 05:36 PM
You would be surprised at the number of sub-standard Gin and Tonics I have experienced. Its so simple but apparently like scrambled eggs it can be messed up, but damn, it takes some work. How does that happen?

Otherwise get the basics down (for your location and customers) and most of your customers will be happy. Then throw in a few of your own tweaks to show off a bit.

****ty or flat tonic. Its an epidemic.

2LeftCleats
04-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Can you make a Shirley Temple?

54ny77
04-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Every once in awhile for dessert I have what's called a Tan Ferrari. Also known as a toasted almond.

Man are they tasty. Basically Kahlua, Bailey's, and a couple of other things mixed in depending on the bartender.

Variations on the theme can include making it into a frozen cocktail in a blender with ice, and adding a scoop of breyer's vanilla ice cream..... :banana:

Hellgate
04-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Middleton

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

gdw
04-04-2018, 08:08 PM
No love for the margarita? This recipe is supposed to be from one of the Colorado front range's most popular Mexican restaurants, Rios, that is better known for its drinks than food. Limit 3 per customer.

2oz Cuervo Gold
1.5oz DeKypers Triple Sec
.5oz Everclear grain alcohol
1oz Roses lime juice
2oz Apple Juice

Louis
04-04-2018, 08:09 PM
When I'm really feeling adventurous I get a cosmo...

dustyrider
04-04-2018, 08:41 PM
I’m a creature of habit and the seasons have me craving different drinks. When at bars, I typically stick to beer and make my own cocktails at home. I don’t have exact recipes everything is mixed in the same glasses so I have a well calibrated eye, wrist thing happening!

Vodka is always monopolowa, jackelope gin, and bushmills. I do like peppermint
schnapps in the winter months and tend to stick with rumpleminze and hot chocolate.

Summer: gin and pineapple juice is my favorite. But a vodka and cranberry or grapefruit juice is nice, too. Sometimes I add some sparkling water to the vodka but never the gin. I can also go for wine during the summer. Lots of local vineyards to sample and enjoy.

Fall: something with vodka mostly a Caucasian or a Bloody Mary. I like my Bloody Mary to be like a meal with all the fixings and a good bit of spice. The recipe is always a little different.

Winter: bushmills straight up, maybe a splash of water, or peppermint schnapps and hot chocolate. Lots of beer gets drunk this time of year...

Spring: I’m typically not drinking because I’m trying to shed some winter weight, but I’m also more adventurous and will try a house drink from time to time when out with friends. Especially if I know the bartender. Usually I don’t like house drinks and stick to a single ice cold coors original or local hoppy ipa.

As far as tequila goes, I’m unable to safely drink the stuff. Sure a margarita on a river float is quite nice, but anymore than one, and I stop recalling important moments of my life...

ZOOMZOOM123
04-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Penicillin: scotch, honey, ginger syrup, lemon, more scotch

Cicli
04-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Bulleit Ricky.

TexasJohn
04-04-2018, 08:55 PM
1) Stranahan’s Whiskey (out of Denver) in a Manhattan

2) My own Perfect Ten (parts) Margarita recipe: (3) parts good tequila; (3) parts fresh squeezed lime juice; (1) part fresh squeezed orange juice; (3) parts simple syrup (organic cane sugar works best). Shaken well over ice and served up in a chilled martini glass with a lime wedge. No salt.

MattTuck
04-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Agree. If you like it check out the variation I posted on page 2.

Penicillin: scotch, honey, ginger syrup, lemon, more scotch

I enjoy a drink that the bar tender called a "bad medicine"

It is a variation on a drink called the penicillin (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/11/time-for-a-drink-penicillin-cocktail.html).

Traditional version
2 ounces blended Scotch whisky (Famous Grouse works well)
3/4 ounce honey syrup (see note)
3 slices fresh ginger
1/4 ounce Islay single malt Scotch (such as Laphroaig)

His version (approximated)
2 ounces bourbon (buffalo trace works well)
3/4 ounce ginger/honey cordial
1/4 ounce Islay single malt Scotch (lagavulin 16) in a spray bottle, aerosolized in the glass before pouring the drink, then floated, and sprayed again on the top of the drink.

gives it that smoky flavor without pissing through your good stuff.

JAGI410
04-04-2018, 09:06 PM
Rusty Nail

2oz Scotch
1oz Drambuie
Ice

kmac
04-04-2018, 09:19 PM
no specific drink, but according to my wife, if someone asks for a "sugared rim", it better be sugared ALL the way around the rim.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cadence90
04-04-2018, 09:32 PM
It's not quite summer but it's getting there, so:

Spritz con Prosecco e Aperol.

Nooch
04-05-2018, 05:23 AM
Can you make a Shirley Temple?

And a virgin Cuba libre, and a Roy Rodgers :)

That said, made a lot of our signature old fashion last night, couple martinis, lot of beers, a mule or two, and some of our other signatures. Apparently I'm just going to be on as a fill-in, for now, but I'll take that for the time being.

denapista
04-05-2018, 12:26 PM
I judge a bar by how well they can make a Sazerac cocktail. Being that my family is from the south (Louisiana), I judge hard AF when it comes to a Sazerac.

I follow the rules of tradition. I like them with Coganc versus Rye, and please don't toss a lemon in my cocktail! Served NEAT of course.

I recently bought a bar set for the house, and have been perfecting them..

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/800/41214142732_ea5ee23d30.jpg

Nooch
04-05-2018, 12:34 PM
I judge a bar by how well they can make a Sazerac cocktail. Being that my family is from the south (Louisiana), I judge hard AF when it comes to a Sazerac.

I follow the rules of tradition. I like them with Coganc versus Rye, and please don't toss a lemon in my cocktail! Served NEAT of course.

I recently bought a bar set for the house, and have been perfecting them..

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/800/41214142732_ea5ee23d30.jpg

You would not like ours, unfortunately. Ours is Rye, with a lemon twist.

DarkStar
04-05-2018, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=HenryA;2342593]You would be surprised at the number of sub-standard Gin and Tonics I have experienced. Its so simple but apparently like scrambled eggs it can be messed up, but damn, it takes some work. How does that happen?

This! Love a Gin and Tonic but never in a bar, often disappointing G&Ts.

glepore
04-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Simple answer-bargun tonic sucks. Its never Schwepps or anything good.

Nooch
04-07-2018, 02:04 AM
And I'm officially in love with this job.

daker13
04-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Just have to throw this in here, a ton of supposedly 'small batch' liquor of all varieties is just bought from big factory distilleries and re-bottled in fancy glass. With gin, they sometimes add a sprig of something to it. I love a good scotch but anything calling itself a 'local gin' should be looked on with skepticism.

Cicli
04-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Jeppsons Malort.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q7s16ewP1RU