PDA

View Full Version : Mounting tires on older carbon rims

Hilltopperny
04-04-2018, 05:48 AM
I picked up a set of nos reynolds cirro mid v clinchers from the R&A sale last month. They fit an 11spd campagnolo cassette no problem, but I can't seem to stretch a challenge paris roubaix tire onto them!

Should I try some talc or soapy water? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

martl
04-04-2018, 06:54 AM
I picked up a set of nos reynolds cirro mid v clinchers from the R&A sale last month. They fit an 11spd campagnolo cassette no problem, but I can't seem to stretch a challenge paris roubaix tire onto them!

Should I try some talc or soapy water? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

New tires of certain brands (in my experience: all of them) can be a bitch to stretch onto a rim, especially without creating a mess with sidewalls/glue (see "Aldo Ross Tubasti song")

Pre-stretching them by mounting them on a rim without glue and keeping them inflated a couple of days usually works. If they still fight, i'm not beyond using clincher tire levers or other mechanical help.
The oldtimer method of putting the tire under your two firm feet and stretching with all your arms have got to give is discouraged by most tiremakers.

Once posted either in r.b.r. or on the CR list, don't remember which it was. I hope Aldo doesn't mind:

Tubasti
by Aldo Ross

Tubasti on the sidewalls
Tubasti on the spokes
Tubasti on the workbench
And a bunch of cotter bolts

Tubasti on the visegrips
Tubasti on my arm
Tubasti on my chin and cheek
I hope it won't cause harm

Tubasti on the light switch
Tubasti on the cats
Tubasti on my shoes and socks
And on my car's floor mats

Tubasti on the carpet
Tubasti in my hair
I tried to glue just one damn tire
Now Tubasti's everywhere

(Aldo Ross)

Mzilliox
04-04-2018, 07:24 AM
challenge tires are tight, use plastic levers, you may leave a small mark.

or even though not tubular, try them on another rim and pump them a few days to stretch them and then remount on the carbon.

good luck

Hilltopperny
04-04-2018, 07:26 AM
challenge tires are tight, use plastic levers, you may leave a small mark.

or even though not tubular, try them on another rim and pump them a few days to stretch them and then remount on the carbon.

good luckThanks Matt

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
04-04-2018, 07:31 AM
yea, those tires are notoriously tight fitting. it has nothing to do with the rim material or vintage.

knowing where you live: one tip is to make sure you're trying to mount them someplace warm. tires are a lot more obnoxious if the rubber is cold than if it's 80 degrees. a little spritz of soapy water or even windex will help the bead not hang up wrestling that last couple inches on too.

oh - and those tires will stretch. i remember wrestling a set on when they were new, but then when i had a flat on the road, it was much easier to get them re-mounted after i had ridden them a few hundred miles.

Mzilliox
04-04-2018, 07:51 AM
yea, those tires are notoriously tight fitting. it has nothing to do with the rim material or vintage.

knowing where you live: one tip is to make sure you're trying to mount them someplace warm. tires are a lot more obnoxious if the rubber is cold than if it's 80 degrees. a little spritz of soapy water or even windex will help the bead not hang up wrestling that last couple inches on too.

oh - and those tires will stretch. i remember wrestling a set on when they were new, but then when i had a flat on the road, it was much easier to get them re-mounted after i had ridden them a few hundred miles.

yup, compass tires i find hard to get that last bit mounted, the first time, but the cond install is always easier. and good tip about a warm room, i learned this gluing tubulars in y cold barn, did the next set with the space heater in the garage instead. way easier to stretch a 75 degree tire over arim than a 45-50 degree tire.