PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Classic Pro compatibility with 11spd

KJMUNC
04-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Is anyone running Mavic Classic Pro wheels with Shimano 11spd? Or do I have to upgrade the hub body?

I run Campy on all my bikes but just came into a pair of Classic Pro wheels, but they have 8spd on them and I don't have any 11spd cassettes to test on them to see if they'll fit.

Let me know if anyone is successfully running Shimano 11spd on Classics hubs without any modifications or swapping hubs.

Thanks!

kppolich
04-03-2018, 06:43 PM
To my knowledge any mavic hub can run 11sp shimano/SRAM

hollowgram5
04-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Newer stuff yes, older stuff no. If the hub is FTS-L, it can be 11 compatible. If it's older FTS (like my cosmic experts) you are limited to 10s.

StephenCL
04-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Yes, but you can run an edco 11 speed conversion cassette on the older FTS 10 freehub body....

Stephen

Look585
04-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Be careful going down the 90s Mavic freehub rabbit hole, you might not get out!

Classics Pros come from the FTS era of Mavic FHBs. The were three FHBs available for FTS hubs, each with its own axle.
1) Shimano 8/9/10 (black FHB)
2) Campy 8 (silver FHB)
3) CC9 FHB (silver FHB)

The CC9 FHB was Mavic's answer to a Campy 9s Cassette. It was a Shimano splined FHB with some extra length to accommodate Campy 9s spacing (with a Mavic branded cassette). The great part of this is that (fast forward 18 years) the extra length is just enough to fit a Shimano 11s road cassette. Without modification.

So, your options are 1) find a CC9 FHB and axle, or 2) use the CS-HG800 11s cassette that fits 10s bodies.

For posterity:
Classics SSC come from the FTS-L era and are 11s compatible without modification.
Classics Elites use a different FHB design and only work with 8/9/10 Shimano cassettes.
The CC9 cassette body (and appropriate axle) can be used in a few other 90s Mavic FTS hubs. Heliums, Cosmic Equip and Pro, Crossmax, MR601 and MX601, and perhaps others I don't recall...

Here's a link to a pair of Classics Pros with the CC9 FHB that have been on eBay for ages. The silver FHB is the key...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182060395810

KJMUNC
04-03-2018, 10:12 PM
Be careful going down the 90s Mavic freehub rabbit hole, you might not get out!

Classics Pros come from the FTS era of Mavic FHBs. The were three FHBs available for FTS hubs, each with its own axle.
1) Shimano 8/9/10 (black FHB)
2) Campy 8 (silver FHB)
3) CC9 FHB (silver FHB)

The CC9 FHB was Mavic's answer to a Campy 9s Cassette. It was a Shimano splined FHB with some extra length to accommodate Campy 9s spacing (with a Mavic branded cassette). The great part of this is that (fast forward 18 years) the extra length is just enough to fit a Shimano 11s road cassette. Without modification.

So, your options are 1) find a CC9 FHB and axle, or 2) use the HG-R800 11s cassette that fits 10s bodies.

For posterity:
Classics SSC come from the FTS-L era and are 11s compatible without modification.
Classics Elites use a different FHB design and only work with 8/9/10 Shimano cassettes.
The CC9 cassette body (and appropriate axle) can be used in a few other 90s Mavic FTS hubs. Heliums, Cosmic Equip and Pro, Crossmax, MR601 and MX601, and perhaps others I don't recall...

Here's a link to a pair of Classics Pros with the CC9 FHB that have been on eBay for ages. The silver FHB is the key...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182060395810

Wow this is perfect.....thanks for the details. So full disclosure, I also have a pair of Classics SSC incoming that are also Shimano, so it sounds like I have an 11spd solution with those, and depending on the freehub of the Classics Pros (silver CC9 FHB vs. black), I might have something that will work or might not.

Will give it a look when I open the box....thanks again!

berserk87
04-04-2018, 10:06 AM