PDA

View Full Version : Fork dropout repair

tylercheung
04-03-2018, 06:13 PM
I have a steel fork that has one of its dropouts bent slightly inwards. It's not dramatic and the only major effect I can think of is that it takes a little more effort to take the front wheel on or off. But it's bugging me and I want to see how to fix it properly.

I have taken it to the LBS and they probably did something relatively quick, maybe bent it back a smidge, say a fraction of an mm. But to do it properly, would I have to find a frame builder with some sort of alignment jig? Are there special tools, etc to do it properly?

David Kirk
04-03-2018, 06:27 PM
How did the dropout get bent?

If you're sure that the drop is the only thing bent then anyone with a set of dropout alignment tools (or H tools as they are sometimes called) should be able to take care of it. Most good shops should have the tools and they are super easy to use.

dave

ultraman6970
04-03-2018, 06:30 PM
Nothing that a Crescent wrench cant fix :P

tylercheung
04-03-2018, 07:05 PM
How did the dropout get bent?

If you're sure that the drop is the only thing bent then anyone with a set of dropout alignment tools (or H tools as they are sometimes called) should be able to take care of it. Most good shops should have the tools and they are super easy to use.

dave

Probably shipping, when I bought the thing, and the box arrived, the fork was poking out the bottom of the box...I guess I will ask the folks at Velo Pasadena. Thanks!

parris
04-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Was this a new frameset? Steel dropuots are very ductile and adjustments arent a big thing from a strength standpoint. When I worked in shops we checked dropout and hanger alignment of the majority of the bikes that we built and repaired. If things were out a small amount it was a small deal to make it right.

Peter P.
04-03-2018, 08:12 PM
Nothing that a Crescent wrench cant fix :P

Don't laugh; I once went mountain biking with a pal. He threw my bike on his roof mounted bike rack. Apparently, he didn't secure it well because as we drove away, the bike fell over, only secured by one fork dropout, now bent at 90 degrees!

I grabbed my adjustable wrench, bent it back, and we went on our ride.

ultraman6970
04-03-2018, 09:10 PM
I was saying it seriously :) OP, crescent wrench.