PDA

View Full Version : Getting sick

rousseau
04-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Is it good for the immune system overall when you get a cold and overcome it? Or does it merely reflect that you now have immunity to the specific virus that you contracted?

Just curious. I usually get a cold every other winter, and it often threatens to go into my chest in the form of mild bronchitis. Which is what happened this year. I just had a (completely undesired) three-week hiatus from the bike, so now I'm in the process of regaining fitness. Actually, my quads feel quite strong; I guess all that rest allowed them to fully recover.

So is it all just a matter of luck? Are robust people in rude health simply not exposed to as many viruses as elementary school teachers? Or just better hand washers? Or, as one guy I know says, is it good to get sick once in a while because it's like "shadow-boxing for the immune system"?

Part of my befuddlement with this, apart from being medically illiterate, is due to reports that overly coddled infants are more likely to grow up with allergies and asthma because they aren't exposed to enough bacteria for their developing immune systems to do battle with, i.e. it's good to let the little ones play in the dirt. I know I'm not an infant anymore, but still, it makes you wonder.

jimcav
04-03-2018, 06:59 PM
not sure how anyone can escape in that setting. There are hundreds of "cold" viruses so no one can be immune to all. having said that I used to get frequent colds that went to bronchitis and frequent "food poisoning when eating out, all of which resolved after I found out my vit D level was super low and started supplementing vit D3. I got at least 1-2 hour of sun per day so it was a shock. Anyway, you might have it checked next time you see your doc.