PDA

View Full Version : "Training" help

azrider
04-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Ok. My usual "overthinking" is getting best of me and I'd like to "poll the audience" to see what ya'll think.

I am training for XC endurance race taking place early August. It's a "roadie" style course with limited technical aspects. I've been in market for a 'gravel' type frame/bike (sorry for bailing on that bada** Pinarello Andysti) but I've learned that's going to be a bit more complicated than I originally thought. (rims I have are too narrow for fatter tires, DT shifters won't transfer, yada yada)

So my question:

Instead of getting 'another' bike would it make more sense to get a second wheelset (and put slicks on it) for my 29er (same bike i'm racing) and start using it for my commutes?? (commuting is where i'm getting big chunk of my 'base' rides at 50 RT miles day)

I would think in doing so it would accomplish few things: get me used to riding 29 more, save money so i'm not buying new bike, harder workouts with increased rolling resistance..............but at same time, I'm concerned that riding 29er on road will eat up majority of my 'higher' gears..........

Thanks for any insight.

tommyrod74
04-03-2018, 01:36 PM
As a coach, I have my riders (the XC guys) do some intervals and occasional endurance rides on the XC bike with slicks on pavement. Only real downside is gear limitations on the high end, and even then it's really terrain dependent. Many of the top pro XC guys on the world cup circuit do the same. Good to get used to that position, for sure. I'd use big slicks, definitely. Z2/endurance/base stuff should somewhat negate the need for higher gearing. I'd probably run a road cassette if my drivetrain allowed it for the second wheelset.

azrider
04-03-2018, 01:42 PM
As a coach, I have my riders (the XC guys) do some intervals and occasional endurance rides on the XC bike with slicks on pavement. Only real downside is gear limitations on the high end, and even then it's really terrain dependent. Many of the top pro XC guys on the world cup circuit do the same. Good to get used to that position, for sure. I'd use big slicks, definitely. Z2/endurance/base stuff should somewhat negate the need for higher gearing. I'd probably run a road cassette if my drivetrain allowed it for the second wheelset.

Thanks dude!! Yeah the gearing limitation is what has me like 'deer in headlights'.....also good to hear you recommend this to your clients as a coach. Yeah for rubber i was thinking 700x45 Schwalbe Marathon +

Andy sti
04-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Ok. My usual "overthinking" is getting best of me and I'd like to "poll the audience" to see what ya'll think.

I am training for XC endurance race taking place early August. It's a "roadie" style course with limited technical aspects. I've been in market for a 'gravel' type frame/bike (sorry for bailing on that bada** Pinarello Andysti) but I've learned that's going to be a bit more complicated than I originally thought. (rims I have are too narrow for fatter tires, DT shifters won't transfer, yada yada)

So my question:

Instead of getting 'another' bike would it make more sense to get a second wheelset (and put slicks on it) for my 29er (same bike i'm racing) and start using it for my commutes?? (commuting is where i'm getting big chunk of my 'base' rides at 50 RT miles day)

I would think in doing so it would accomplish few things: get me used to riding 29 more, save money so i'm not buying new bike, harder workouts with increased rolling resistance..............but at same time, I'm concerned that riding 29er on road will eat up majority of my 'higher' gears..........

Thanks for any insight.

No problem, That frame wouldn't have been good for this anyway.

Is your 29er a hardtail? Don't know if I'd want to do a ton of "road" training on a FS. Is the course an MTB course or would it be better on a gravel/cross bike? Some courses make it hard to pick. I've done Crusher in the Tushar on the cross bike while some chose the MTB. I think Decker won Lost and Found last year on his ridged 29er while many others were on gravel bikes. RPI is best on a gravel bike. Grinduro can be ok for both.

Personally, I don't like the MTB for road work. Remember, wont make workouts harder - 250 watts is 250 watts.

tommyrod74
04-03-2018, 02:15 PM
Personally, I don't like the MTB for road work. Remember, wont make workouts harder - 250 watts is 250 watts.

It won't make 250 watts more than 250 watts... but it will slow you down for a given power output, and sometimes that's useful.

azrider
04-03-2018, 02:30 PM
No problem, That frame wouldn't have been good for this anyway.

Is your 29er a hardtail? Don't know if I'd want to do a ton of "road" training on a FS. Is the course an MTB course or would it be better on a gravel/cross bike? Some courses make it hard to pick. I've done Crusher in the Tushar on the cross bike while some chose the MTB. I think Decker won Lost and Found last year on his ridged 29er while many others were on gravel bikes. RPI is best on a gravel bike. Grinduro can be ok for both.

Yes my 29er is HT. Race I'm training for is Leadville. I've got few teammates that have done Crusher and they all said Cross is way to go (for THAT race).

I don't necessarily get excited thinking about road work on the 29er either.........however I don't want to do ALL my training on road.

Thanks for input!

weisan
04-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Instead of schwalbe, try the gravel king.

azrider
04-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Instead of schwalbe, try the gravel king.

Thanks for chiming in W-pal. These will be primarily for commuting so Durability must be first and foremost. I don't care about ride quality just puncture resilience.......would you still recommend them?