PDA

View Full Version : OT: Track Lighting in Kitchen

Fishbike
04-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Am thinking about putting track lighting in the kitchen. Kitchen is a fairly long rectangle. Track would be in the center and would provide general lighting for the kitchen. I would not be spotlighting anything in particular. What kind of lights are better than others? Would 5 or 6 lights work for a 40ft space? Would the light be uneven if the spots are in different directions? Anybody have any anecdotes to share? Thanks!

cnighbor1
04-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Am thinking about putting track lighting in the kitchen. Kitchen is a fairly long rectangle. Track would be in the center and would provide general lighting for the kitchen. I would not be spotlighting anything in particular. What kind of lights are better than others? Would 5 or 6 lights work for a 40ft space? Would the light be uneven if the spots are in different directions? Anybody have any anecdotes to share? Thanks!

I would do it with a narrow bam spot light for each appliance each work surface and a hang down light for any eating areas
Charles Nighbor architect

Fishbike
04-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Thanks Charles for the comments.

Thanks Mods for moving this.

pdonk
04-03-2018, 12:47 PM
I have track lighting in my kitchen, one word of caution - depending on ventilation and cooking style, it can get filthy and is hard to clean.

pdmtong
04-03-2018, 01:23 PM
Why not just go with a succession of LED floods? Its a cleaner look.

If you have a track light pointed at something, like the cook top, the light is blocked by your body while you are cooking.

unterhausen
04-03-2018, 01:40 PM
I put in 10 led floods. We just don't have a big enough kitchen to make the ceiling look any lower. I have been accused of making the kitchen too bright. I don't know if better LEDs can be dimmed more, but it makes sense.

Hakkalugi
04-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Do NOT try to center it between the island and counter. You will only succeed in creating shadows on the work surface. Place the track directly over the work surface and point the heads straight down. Buy 30% more heads than you initially planned on, and look for dimmable LEDs with integral lamps (i.e. not replaceable lamps). Ideally, you can aim the lights along the countertop/work surface and aim the left ones 15 degrees to the right and the right ones 15 degrees to the left. Do this on every work surface. While you’re at it, make sure your undercab lights are at the leading edge of the cabinet, pointed towards the backsplash.

HenryA
04-03-2018, 03:43 PM
I would do it with a narrow bam spot light for each appliance each work surface and a hang down light for any eating areas
Charles Nighbor architect

Charles has it.

You could substitute for the “hang down” by using a suspended track fixture instead of a single light unit fixture.

And under cabinet lighting is so nice to have.