PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless MTB wheel setup.

jtakeda
04-02-2018, 11:01 PM
I’m a tubeless rookie—never ridden—never set up—never owned etc.

I’ve got this mtb project I’m starting to wrap up and decided to try to set up the wheels today.

Xtr m9000 27.5 wheels and minion dhf tires. Tires mount easy—too easy—so I put a layer of rim tape on the wheels (no spoke holes by the way) and it seems a little tighter and better.

Get everything mounted and start pumping. I get to about 40 psi and I don’t hear the *pop* everyone talks about—look at the sticker on the rim of the wheel that says “don’t inflate past 41psi”—I keep pumping and I hear a little noise but nothing substantial.

The molding line on the side of the tire is a nice even line on both sides of the wheel—I removed the valve core and inserted sealant. Shaky shaky—rolly rolly—got it nice and distributed—pumped up the tire and voila. Everything holds air. No escaping air sounds all is good.

Repeat the process for the front wheel all good.

Soooo my question is—should I be worried since I didn’t hear a distinct POP that sets the bead? Or am I lookin too much into this.

I pumped both tires to 40psi and left them to see what they look like tomorrow’s.

Thanks I’m advance.

PS—orange seal endurance and stans tape
PPS—I understand whatever small gaps I might’ve had has been filled with the sealant I poured in and I should probably use more in a few days for my actual riding sealant

hummus_aquinas
04-02-2018, 11:07 PM
No POP required as long as the molding line is even. Sounds like you're on the right track!

jtakeda
04-02-2018, 11:10 PM
No POP required as long as the molding line is even. Sounds like you're on the right track!

My mind is at ease—my coworker was saying “the pop is unmistakable and necessary”

CMiller
04-02-2018, 11:31 PM
Yup totally fine if it looks seated correctly. I overinflated to make sure, then back out the pressure before I ride. The maximum pressure is while riding, your weight isn't on it yet so it's fine to go over.

sooshi
04-02-2018, 11:42 PM
I've had some tires pop so loud when they seat that it's makes you jump and others that are almost silent. As long as they're still holding air tomorrow you should be all set.

Mikej
04-03-2018, 07:32 AM
Since the tire was loose my guess is that it didn’t snap or pop because of that- no resistance. I’ve set up 70 or 80 tubeless set ups and always heard the pop. I would try a more cross country style tire, like a Racing Ralph TLR and see if that is tighter. Re these hookless?

simplemind
04-03-2018, 07:56 AM
I love my M9000 rims, and yes, they easily set up tubeless w/o tape or anything else (minor pop). Even came with valve installed.

sandyrs
04-03-2018, 08:57 AM
The tire pop (or sometimes BANG) depends on the rim, the tire and the tape. When I mounted a Schwalbe Nobby Nic to a Nextie carbon rim with Schwalbe tape last night, it sounded like a gunshot. Maxxis tires on the same wheels have been less violent. You're definitely good to go but if you want extra security you can always fully deflate the tires and observe that the beads do not recede into the center channel of the rim, but stay in the bead channels on either side of the rim. That's what you want.

redir
04-03-2018, 09:10 AM
I do love the popping sound. I always pump up real hard to seat it, well passed it's max pressure, then back it off.

sandyrs
04-03-2018, 09:13 AM
I do love the popping sound. I always pump up real hard to seat it, well passed it's max pressure, then back it off.

I do that too, but (this is directed to others, not you redir) it's important to back it off as soon as the bead has seated. I once stupidly left a CX tire on a rim past its max pressure (like, way past) overnight and came downstairs the next day to a broken bead and sealant all over the basement.

redir
04-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Yikes! What a mess!

jtakeda
04-03-2018, 09:56 AM
The tire pop (or sometimes BANG) depends on the rim, the tire and the tape. When I mounted a Schwalbe Nobby Nic to a Nextie carbon rim with Schwalbe tape last night, it sounded like a gunshot. Maxxis tires on the same wheels have been less violent. You're definitely good to go but if you want extra security you can always fully deflate the tires and observe that the beads do not recede into the center channel of the rim, but stay in the bead channels on either side of the rim. That's what you want.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

I’ll do this—and roll around the block to see if I get any burp before actually setting off for a ride