PDA

View Full Version : Liquigas to Cannondale?

Chris
10-12-2006, 11:28 AM
That's the word I got. I thought Cipollini was their technical guy, and I thought he was tied in to Specialized.

Grant McLean
10-12-2006, 12:13 PM
At Interbike, Super Mario was in Vegas as a guest of Specialized,
and I think he was helping with a deal between those two, but when the
big 'S' landed QuickStep away from Cannondale, I think that it made sense
that Cannondale went after Liquigas.

If it's true, I hope Cannondale goes campy!

G

swoop
10-12-2006, 01:55 PM
*edit. oh well. looks like cannondale did it right back to specialized. at interbike it was almost a done deal.

KJMUNC
10-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Wow, that is surprising....but I'd be willing to be Cdale was going to do whatever it took after not getting the Q-S contract.

So the bigger question is this: From the sponsor's view, which team would you rather have? (biases towards brands aside).

Chris
10-12-2006, 02:39 PM
I think hands down, you would rather have Boonen on one of your bikes, but Magnus isn't a bad get either. I'm looking forward to seeing his bike choice. I'm sure it will be a System 6, but I would have loved to seen how a CAAD9 did under him. I had a long talk with him 2 years ago and he told me that there just weren't any aluminum bikes (other than an Opera with a TT downtube) that he could ride without breaking regularly. That's why he was on the ti bike with Bianchi AND even then, they used the structural foam. Should be interesting this year. The cool thing about Cannondale, is that even though they are one of the big box bikes, unlike their counterparts, they still build custom bikes for the pros that need em.

Bittersweet
10-12-2006, 03:52 PM
I think hands down, you would rather have Boonen on one of your bikes, but Magnus isn't a bad get either. I'm looking forward to seeing his bike choice. I'm sure it will be a System 6, but I would have loved to seen how a CAAD9 did under him. I had a long talk with him 2 years ago and he told me that there just weren't any aluminum bikes (other than an Opera with a TT downtube) that he could ride without breaking regularly. That's why he was on the ti bike with Bianchi AND even then, they used the structural foam. Should be interesting this year. The cool thing about Cannondale, is that even though they are one of the big box bikes, unlike their counterparts, they still build custom bikes for the pros that need em.

As it is Magnus, who is a monster, and AL, I would have thought this was a perfect situation for someone like Dario to build up a bike that would be painted any color it needed to be to match the team bikes and kit. The issue isn't inherently AL, CF or steel, but the sheer size and strength of Magnus. You can't use wimpy tubing on a boy that big.

shinomaster
10-12-2006, 04:46 PM
sweet....green bikes!

Avispa
10-12-2006, 05:06 PM
They are going from one beer can to another!

What's the difference? American beer cans and Italian (Taiwanese) beer cans! :D

Simon Q
10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I think the Liquigas boys got the good deal - they can have custom geometry, something I would want if it was my job. Apart from all that, Specialized bikes might be great just look rank, like toys whereas Cannondales still have that sophisticated, race bred look. I think it will be strange to see the likes of Bettini and Boonen on the Spec after they have been on the Times...

swoop
10-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I think the Liquigas boys got the good deal - they can have custom geometry, something I would want if it was my job. Apart from all that, Specialized bikes might be great just look rank, like toys whereas Cannondales still have that sophisticated, race bred look. I think it will be strange to see the likes of Bettini and Boonen on the Spec after they have been on the Times...

i would hardly call a system six sophisticated looking. the word 'fat' or arthritic comes to mind. thankfully, there is more to life than looks... otherwise i'd never get a piece.

stevep
10-13-2006, 05:33 AM
very few "A" pros ( boonen, bettini, pozzatto, etc, race winners ) ride stock bikes. no matter what the advertisements say...no matter what the frames look like.
these guys have to be happy with their rides.