PDA

View Full Version : Best Chamois?

CDollarsign
04-02-2018, 09:30 AM
My main bibs right now are Assos S5 Mille. I love them but am looking to pick up a new pair. I am a clyde and would prefer something with decent padding. Seems like there have been some advances in multiple density padding recently, who is doing it best?

Also, I have the long leg version of the S5 Mille - doesnt seem like Asssos makes long leg bibs anymore. Anything comparable?

joosttx
04-02-2018, 09:35 AM
My main bibs right now are Assos S5 Mille. I love them but am looking to pick up a new pair. I am a clyde and would prefer something with decent padding. Seems like there have been some advances in multiple density padding recently, who is doing it best?

Also, I have the long leg version of the S5 Mille - doesnt seem like Asssos makes long leg bibs anymore. Anything comparable?

Probably not going to get anything better than Assos. I like Q365 but the pad is thinner and designed for more svelte riders.

veggieburger
04-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Best chamois I have ever found is the GSG red. Not sure they make it any more, but that thing was like a Lazy Boy.

(I prefer a thick, dense pad fyi)

eddief
04-02-2018, 09:45 AM
just saying these guys make good shorts. i know this is like the which saddle question. they just announced the pocket model with a new chamois:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/products/aero-tech-mens-all-day-cycling-shorts-with-reflective-side-pockets.html

and this model my fave for the last few years:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens-elite-bike-shorts.html

ripvanrando
04-02-2018, 10:20 AM
I don't think Assos makes an equivalent to the S5 Mille.

The T Cento Assos is lightyears better than the S5 in my opinion but it is not long as the Mille.

FlashUNC
04-02-2018, 10:38 AM
Probably not going to get anything better than Assos. I like Q365 but the pad is thinner and designed for more svelte riders.

Samesies. The Castelli Progetto X2 pad in their and the ChptIII shorts is pretty great as well, but I'd put it on par with the S5 generation Assos stuff, not sure its any better.

Why not just see if the Assos Factory Outlet has the S5 Milles in stock?

CDollarsign
04-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Samesies. The Castelli Progetto X2 pad in their and the ChptIII shorts is pretty great as well, but I'd put it on par with the S5 generation Assos stuff, not sure its any better.

Why not just see if the Assos Factory Outlet has the S5 Milles in stock?

I have and they don't... The S7 T.Cento seem like maybe the most comparable but I don't think they have a long leg. Also seems like the padding is thinner.

Mzilliox
04-02-2018, 01:16 PM
This may not help as i find the assos pads way too much, but Isadore has for me provided the nicest Chamois with Danny Shane being next. None of the camel toe affect, pads hit in the right spot, pads move with me, and dont feel too "invasive". If there is a finer bib short than the Isadore climbers bib i have not tried it, and Ive tried a lot of them. Perhpas their own new bib that combines the best of their signature bib with the climbers bib...

but for hot days, that danny shane bib and pad is hard to beat, its so nice to sit on all day long. im sure their pad is used in other bibs too, i think its a common one in higher end bibs.

AngryScientist
04-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Not as popular as the big guys - but the Zanconato kits i have, with TexMarket bibs are bang on excellent. Now, i'm in their race cut stuff, which is definitely not Clydesdale cut, but the stuff just seems like it was made for me.

i love both the rapha pro team bibs and various Assos kit, as well as some of the recent MAAP stuff i've gotten, but the TexMarket stuff is right there for fit and comfort IMO.

bianchi10
04-02-2018, 01:50 PM
3 best pads I've ever used are MAAP, volocio and Pas Normal Studios. I am very sensitive when it comes to chamois density and chamois placement. I've ridden Assos, Rapha, Castelli, LG...etc.. and for me the brands mentioned above have it nailed down very good.

We all have different shapes and preferences though. I know a couple folks who prefer a very thin pad with not much protection, while other prefer a very thick pad. It's difficult to get a feeling of how something will perform just trying it on, but from my experience while looking for the best short has been these 3.

If I wasn't concerned about cross branding the gear that I use I would be wearing the Velocio bib shorts every day. Very close with PNS, but the Velocio bibs are the most comfortable bib shorts I have every tried. I just didn't care for any of their other designs to invest into their brand. Now that I'm a brand ambassador for PNS and am expected to wear head to toe, I dont have to worry about other options as I'm very comfortable wearing PNS for long rides and training sessions.

azrider
04-02-2018, 02:08 PM
*subscribing

I am big fan of my Assos mille_s7, and am always on the lookout for pair of the s5 (as they're rumored to be even MORE comfortable than s7). That said, I feel my DNA bibs are on par with the s7's but am always on hunt for bibs for 5+ hour rides.

Has anyone here (and reading this thread) ever tried the Desoto 400???

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/mens-shorts-bibs/products/400-mile-bib-short

This is the bib you want with the original 400-Mileā„¢ pad that has made this our single best-seller.

Emilio gave these bicycling shorts and bibs the "400-Mile" name from product testing consisting of 400 miles over 4 days. His logic was that many shorts feel fine for 100+ mile rides. The real question is how does that saddle feel when you get on the bike the next morning for another 100 miles...and the next morning? This was the inspiration for the design, the pad, and the name.

pdonk
04-02-2018, 02:50 PM
I really like my donkey label staple 2.0 bibs. They have a cytech chamois. Nice and thin, does not bunch up. Bibs take a bit of getting use to as they have no leg gripper, but they do stay in place

I also have multiple biemme shorts that are pretty good, but the chamois is thicker.

For reference I am 6'3 and about 210 lbs.

godfrey1112000
04-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Best value better than ASsos
The factory outlet is excellent at Assos
But for the money šŸ’° desoto can not be beat
I own 8 pairs

QUOTE=azrider;2341096]*subscribing

I am big fan of my Assos mille_s7, and am always on the lookout for pair of the s5 (as they're rumored to be even MORE comfortable than s7). That said, I feel my DNA bibs are on par with the s7's but am always on hunt for bibs for 5+ hour rides.

Has anyone here (and reading this thread) ever tried the Desoto 400???

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/mens-shorts-bibs/products/400-mile-bib-short

This is the bib you want with the original 400-Mileā„¢ pad that has made this our single best-seller.

Emilio gave these bicycling shorts and bibs the "400-Mile" name from product testing consisting of 400 miles over 4 days. His logic was that many shorts feel fine for 100+ mile rides. The real question is how does that saddle feel when you get on the bike the next morning for another 100 miles...and the next morning? This was the inspiration for the design, the pad, and the name.[/QUOTE]

muz
04-02-2018, 07:11 PM

I like the chamois, but I didn't find the shorts to be very durable. After a couple long rides, the stitching of the pad was all coming loose. I sent it back with a note that I was hoping they would last more than 400 miles, and they re-stitched it :banana: