PDA

View Full Version : Help: Fulcrum Racing Zero Hub Overhaul

Clean39T
04-01-2018, 10:48 PM
The bearings on the rear hub of my Racing Zeros (two-way fit, circa 2014) sound like they have no grease and are gritty as heck.

I've seen some bearing kits online for them, but I'm wondering if:

1) replacing the bearings is something I can do without special tools

2) I can replace them with lower-grade, but easier to service bearings - like the ones in my Record hubs

If it's beyond my capability, I'll take them to my local Campy shop - but it'd be nice to fix them myself if I can figure it out...with the help of Pal's of course...

Thanks in advance..

spinarelli
04-01-2018, 11:30 PM
https://youtu.be/7yQcvLbJOW8
maybe this video can help. the zero hubs are the same as the shamals.

also, this older video might have the info you need, even though it's 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wju6FWiVjQ

page 115 shows the shamal exploded drawing with all the parts. I have both mille and zeros and the hubs and spokes look identical.

http://www.campagnolo-sirer.cz/img/cms/Katalogy_nahradnich_dilu/Katalog%20nahradnich%20dilu%20Campagnolo%202015.pd f

bfd
04-01-2018, 11:58 PM
The bearings on the rear hub of my Racing Zeros (two-way fit, circa 2014) sound like they have no grease and are gritty as heck.

2) I can replace them with lower-grade, but easier to service bearings - like the ones in my Record hubs

If it's beyond my capability, I'll take them to my local Campy shop - but it'd be nice to fix them myself if I can figure it out...with the help of Pal's of course...

Thanks in advance..

I don't get #2?! Aren't Fulcrum wheels basically Taiwan-made Campy wheels? If so, do the hubs have loose ball bearings like Campy hubs? Why use "lower-grade but easier to service bearings," when all you need to do is use grade 25 ball bearings?! You should be able to find grade 25 ball bearings for like $0.05 each?!

Or do Fulcrum wheels use cartridge bearings? Either way, why use "lower-grade" bearings?

Good Luck!

moobikes
04-02-2018, 12:36 AM
I don't get #2?! Aren't Fulcrum wheels basically Taiwan-made Campy wheels? If so, do the hubs have loose ball bearings like Campy hubs? Why use "lower-grade but easier to service bearings," when all you need to do is use grade 25 ball bearings?! You should be able to find grade 25 ball bearings for like $0.05 each?!

Or do Fulcrum wheels use cartridge bearings? Either way, why use "lower-grade" bearings?

Good Luck!

Not Taiwan. Higher end Campy/ Fulcrum wheels use caged balls with adjustable cup and cones. Lower end wheels use cartridge.

Racing Zeros have balls with cup and cones, not cartridges.

bfd
04-02-2018, 12:42 AM
Not Taiwan. Higher end Campy/ Fulcrum wheels use caged balls with adjustable cup and cones. Lower end wheels use cartridge.

Racing Zeros have balls with cup and cones, not cartridges.

Thanks for the clarification, I don't know much about Fulcrum wheels. So if these wheels use caged ball bearings, then replacing the ball bearings with grade 25 should be cheap and pretty easy. At least they are on Campy and Shimano hubs! Good Luck!

moobikes
04-02-2018, 12:43 AM
No tools more exotic than allen wrenches and some sort of pick for the seal. You need to seat the seal properly in its groove when re-assembling the hub or they will drag on the bearings.

The Racing Zeros use caged bearings that you can replace with loose balls but Campy bearings are really good quality. Buy Campy replacements.

Check the cups and cones for pitting, if you have been riding with dry gritty bearings for any length of time. The cones are easily replaceable but the cones require a extractor and press.

The cartridge bearings in the freehub are tiny and need to be looked after, as well. They can also make a rear hub feel gritty if they're dead.

Thanks in advance..

oldpotatoe
04-02-2018, 06:59 AM

Thanks in advance..

1)..you need 2, 5mm allen wrenches, a 2mm allen wrench..no special tools..remove LH axle end(lefty loosey), and adjust cap...take axle/FHB assembly out..remove seals, bearings..they are in cages, 5/32 bearing balls in a fiber cage..notice orientation(don't reinstall upside down..15 per side). Clean, use a good grease..get seals back into channels.

2)Use grade 25 stainless bearing balls..no reason for ceramic, they do nothing but empty your wallet..normal BBs are in the $.06-$.10 range per.

Also check the outboard bearing of the FHB, if gritty, tap out and replace..very common bearing. Take the FHB off by 5mm allen in end of axle, 17mm open end wrench..THAT lock nut holding FHB on is LEFT THREADED..righty-loosey or clockwise to loosen.

oldpotatoe
04-02-2018, 07:00 AM

Good Luck!

NO..higher end hubs are the same as Campag hubs using 5/32 balls and OS aluminum axle.

Clean39T
04-02-2018, 09:46 AM
No tools more exotic than allen wrenches and some sort of pick for the seal. You need to seat the seal properly in its groove when re-assembling the hub or they will drag on the bearings.

The Racing Zeros use caged bearings that you can replace with loose balls but Campy bearings are really good quality. Buy Campy replacements.

Check the cups and cones for pitting, if you have been riding with dry gritty bearings for any length of time. The cones are easily replaceable but the cones require a extractor and press.

The cartridge bearings in the freehub are tiny and need to be looked after, as well. They can also make a rear hub feel gritty if they're dead.

1)..you need 2, 5mm allen wrenches, a 2mm allen wrench..no special tools..remove LH axle end(lefty loosey), and adjust cap...take axle/FHB assembly out..remove seals, bearings..they are in cages, 5/32 bearing balls in a fiber cage..notice orientation(don't reinstall upside down..15 per side). Clean, use a good grease..get seals back into channels.

2)Use grade 25 stainless bearing balls..no reason for ceramic, they do nothing but empty your wallet..normal BBs are in the $.06-$.10 range per.

Also check the outboard bearing of the FHB, if gritty, tap out and replace..very common bearing. Take the FHB off by 5mm allen in end of axle, 17mm open end wrench..THAT lock nut holding FHB on is LEFT THREADED..righty-loosey or clockwise to loosen.

That's what I was after. I just want to replace the ceramic bearings with regular steel ones. I was finding a lot of conflicting information on the interwebs...

Consider this case closed for now and I'll report back on how it goes...going to be a couple weeks though due to vacation upcoming...

spinarelli
04-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Following up on this thread as it would keep the relative info together. I’m replacing the outer bearing in the freehub body of a shamal Mille and a fulcrum zero, both 2015/16 model.
This question is only about the freehub bearings.

1. LBS had the enduro bearings with red seals not the blue ones that came with the freehub. Does it matter, they are both 6803?
2. The original blue bearing only had 1 seal on the outside, should I remove the inside seal of the new red bearing?
3. What do you use to grease the 3 pawl? Oil, lithium grease, a combination of grease thinned with some oil?

Thanks in advance!

93svt96
04-04-2018, 06:06 PM
I had to rebuild one side of mine with new bearings and races. The race in the hub took a little effort but it came out relatively easy. I replaced everything with factory parts and used Ceramic Speed all purpose grease. I think some people run very fine oil with Ceramic but I am more interested in longevity.

oldpotatoe
04-05-2018, 06:39 AM
Following up on this thread as it would keep the relative info together. I’m replacing the outer bearing in the freehub body of a shamal Mille and a fulcrum zero, both 2015/16 model.
This question is only about the freehub bearings.

1. LBS had the enduro bearings with red seals not the blue ones that came with the freehub. Does it matter, they are both 6803?
2. The original blue bearing only had 1 seal on the outside, should I remove the inside seal of the new red bearing?
3. What do you use to grease the 3 pawl? Oil, lithium grease, a combination of grease thinned with some oil?

Thanks in advance!

1)-no, size matters only..
2)-I do, and squirt grease in there before installation.
3)I use Mobil One..doesn't get thick when it gets cold. DON'T use grease..may get a sticky pawl

spinarelli
04-05-2018, 07:17 AM
Thank,you!

1)-no, size matters only..
2)-I do, and squirt grease in there before installation.
3)I use Mobil One..doesn't get thick when it gets cold. DON'T use grease..may get a sticky pawl

cmbicycles
04-05-2018, 08:15 AM
I had some Zeros a few years ago and I though the bearings were toast, but it turned out to just be the FHB bearing already mentioned. I would have replaced with non-ceramic balls if they had been bad, but I just cleaned them up and added some light grease after replacing both fhb bearings.