PDA

View Full Version : Annoying clicking sound from King hub?

zoom2zoom
04-01-2018, 03:35 PM
I have been trying to locate this clicking sound i believe it’s coming from my rear Chris King hub but just not sure

It’s not disk rotor rubbing and it will only click when i ride it and not when it’s on a stand

Took it to my LBS and the sound was not there, but now it’s back again

Mikej
04-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Xtr 11s cassette? Mine clicked on the smaller cluster, I first dripped oil on the rivets, then later loc tite-

simplemind
04-01-2018, 04:14 PM
Can you isolate the click at a specific place in rotation, either cassette or chain position?
I had a "click" recently that I found only on a certain cog and only at a certain place on chain. As it was, the chain hangs on a tooth then lets go, which causes a click sound, so it happens with each rotation of the chain, not rotation of the cassette.

zoom2zoom
04-01-2018, 06:28 PM
I don't think it’s the chain/cassette as i can hear it when i coast and not pedaling

NoMoreParagon
04-01-2018, 07:26 PM
I have been trying to locate this clicking sound i believe it’s coming from my rear Chris King hub but just not sure

It’s not disk rotor rubbing and it will only click when i ride it and not when it’s on a stand

Took it to my LBS and the sound was not there, but now it’s back again

U have QR or Thru axle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikej
04-01-2018, 07:41 PM
I don't think it’s the chain/cassette as i can hear it when i coast and not pedaling

Oh, that clicking sound - it’s supposed to do that:)

weaponsgrade
04-01-2018, 07:50 PM
I had a clicking sound once that turned out to be at a spoke crossing. It wasn’t reproducible in the stand.

zoom2zoom
04-01-2018, 08:20 PM
U have QR or Thru axle

I’m using Paul QR, i changed to different skewers and still there

zoom2zoom
04-01-2018, 08:22 PM
Oh, that clicking sound - it’s supposed to do that:)

It’s not a normal click, it clicks once every rotation and clicks faster as the wheels turns faster to a point I’m kinda embarrassed riding next to people

zoom2zoom
04-01-2018, 08:23 PM
I had a clicking sound once that turned out to be at a spoke crossing. It wasn’t reproducible in the stand.

I didn’t check the spokes.. i will double check

NoMoreParagon
04-01-2018, 08:26 PM
I’m using Paul QR, i changed to different skewers and still there

Yeah mine came from skewers. Checked everywhere. Turned out grease on skewers and clamp solved it. But it drove me crazy

moobikes
04-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Could be the rim as well. Maybe give it a wipe and look for a crack.

The hub is easy to take apart. Do a clean and lube and give it a good look. Could be the hub, could be something else.

sooshi
04-01-2018, 08:48 PM
My R45's clicked for a couple of rides and then I realize it was because the bearing preload needed to be adjusted. It was an easy fix.

CiclistiCliff
04-01-2018, 08:55 PM
I'm going with loose spoke.

zoom2zoom
04-14-2018, 08:41 AM
After weeks of frustration riding hearing the clicks and taking it back to the shop for a second time with no solutions, i finally found the issue-

It’s was the valve that was hitting the hole to the rim at every rotation when I’m riding. That’s why i can’t hear it when it on the bike stand. I temporarily tape around it and problem solved

cinema
04-14-2018, 09:00 AM
too pro for a threaded valve w/nut eh?
me too :cool:

oldpotatoe
04-14-2018, 09:03 AM
After weeks of frustration riding hearing the clicks and taking it back to the shop for a second time with no solutions, i finally found the issue-

It’s was the valve that was hitting the hole to the rim at every rotation when I’m riding. That’s why i can’t hear it when it on the bike stand. I temporarily tape around it and problem solved

There are even branded products that a piece of electrical tape do.