PDA

View Full Version : Where to Eat in Nashville and NOLA

ORMojo
04-01-2018, 01:09 PM
You folks have always had some good suggestions to add to my restaurant finds during my travels.

Coming up soon are two separate trips to Nashville and New Orleans. I've been to both cities before, but it was nearly 10 years ago for Nashville, and 5 for NO.

Let me know where to eat! Preferably central/downtown in both cases, although midtown/Vanderbilt also works for Nashville.

Thanks in advance!

Bentley
04-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Mothers is a must do and I like John Besh’s restaurants but not sure if he is still associated with them.

bikinchris
04-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Do lunch at NOLA, which is an Emeril Lagasse restaurant.
The best shrimp poboy in town is at Parkway Bakery and Tavern. Don't go right at lunch time unless you want to wait in a long line. Get the shrimp fully dressed and add pepper jack cheese.
The trick at Cafe du Monde is to avoid the line by sitting down inside. Everyone wants to sit on the open porch. There is usually room to sit inside.

KVN
04-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Rouler Cafe is super cool. It’s in NOLA

tylercheung
04-01-2018, 01:49 PM
ah nice, I'm going in July some time (NOLA).

I remember the last time I went, Cochon was nice. Also, because my hotel happened to be next door to "Cafe Beignet", which was reasonably tasty, I never actually made it to Cafe Du Mode......

rounder
04-01-2018, 01:58 PM
We were in New Orleans a few weeks ago.

I recommend the Gumbo Shop for gumbo. Pat O'Brians in the courtyard is a good place for a hurricane (traditional for me).

Both are on St. Peters Street in the French Quarter.

speedevil
04-01-2018, 02:07 PM
In Nashville, Mellow Mushroom for pizza. Pretty hard to beat.

nalax
04-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Bevi Seafood on Carrollton is fantastic for crawfish when they're in season. Easy to get to on the Canal streetcar over to Carrollton.

Tickdoc
04-01-2018, 02:25 PM
East Nashville the pharmacy is a great burger and beer joint.

The pfunky griddle is also fun for a different breakfast place where you grill your own pancakes at the table.

There’s also a decent Thai place in a double wide near downtown right next to the titans stadium.....forget the name.

Best meal I had in Nola was emeral’s restaurant but it’s hard to find bad food there.

Are you driving between the two by chance? If so, I have a very specific non food suggestion.

bikinchris
04-01-2018, 02:37 PM
ah nice, I'm going in July some time (NOLA).

I remember the last time I went, Cochon was nice. Also, because my hotel happened to be next door to "Cafe Beignet", which was reasonably tasty, I never actually made it to Cafe Du Mode......

Cafe du Monde in the quarter has been there and except for Katrina has been open continuously since 1862.

HenryA
04-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Nashville:

Josephine (12 South area — I like this place a lot, maybe my fav)
Margot’s (East Nashville)
Etch
Husk
404 Kitchen
Lockeland Table (East Nashville)
Germantown Cafe
Pharmacy Burger Parlor
Adelle
Smiling Elephant (great Thai)
Rolf and Daughters
Butcher and Bee

The Nashville Restaurant scene has exploded over the last 10 years, there’s plenty more than my list.

ORMojo
04-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Thanks, a lot of ideas so far. Not driving between the two, have 3 nearly cross-country trips in April, including these two.

I've been to Cafe du Monde multiple times, definitely worth it. But always looking for the food experience I haven't tried before. And, on a side note, I'm thrilled that my 8-year-old daughter is growing up with the same openness & eagerness towards food. She wants to try everything. Right now she's especially into seafood, and having just spent the past Spring Break week on the Oregon Coast, she ate a lot of new seafood preparations. And last night topped off the week - just the two of us went to Hamilton (fantastic!) in Portland, with dinner beforehand consisting of sharing whole char-grilled octopus tentacles, oysters, lobster tail, incredible salmon, and more. She ate more than I did!

giordana93
04-01-2018, 06:10 PM
nola: mr b's bistro, galatoire's, Irene's, Johnny's Po-Boys, Pelican Club, gw fins, Pascal's Manale, Mandina's, Commander's Palace. list can be crazy long. need to decide what you want to try and how much to spend and go from there. and maybe get somewhere uptown or bywater or mid city

msl819
04-01-2018, 06:36 PM
Thanks, a lot of ideas so far. Not driving between the two, have 3 nearly cross-country trips in April, including these two.

I've been to Cafe du Monde multiple times, definitely worth it. But always looking for the food experience I haven't tried before. And, on a side note, I'm thrilled that my 8-year-old daughter is growing up with the same openness & eagerness towards food. She wants to try everything. Right now she's especially into seafood, and having just spent the past Spring Break week on the Oregon Coast, she ate a lot of new seafood preparations. And last night topped off the week - just the two of us went to Hamilton (fantastic!) in Portland, with dinner beforehand consisting of sharing whole char-grilled octopus tentacles, oysters, lobster tail, incredible salmon, and more. She ate more than I did!

If seafood is on the menu, Acme Oyster House is my preference for oysters but oyster are seasonal most places so depending on travel dates, check into that. I am a raw oyster kind of guy.

If you have the ability to travel outside the city there are places like Middendorfs up around Golden Meadow that would be a great meal and a neat drive seeing the area around the city and what the landscape looks like. NOLA is a great city but unless you have seen true wetlands and swamps like South LA, I’d encourage you to get out of the city and poke around. Finding a good meal south of I-10 is easy to do. My experience is some of the hole in the wall places of NOLA and the small town of South LA have surpassed those in the city that get all the press. Most locals don’t eat at the tourist spots around the quarter.

That said... Commander’s Palace has the best price of cheesecake you’ll ever eat.

msriddle
04-01-2018, 07:18 PM
I go to New Orleans regularly on business. I’ve been to most of what has already been suggested.

Do this: Jacques Imo’s.

Reasonable prices, not very well known by tourist types.

Don’t screw this up.

bikinchris
04-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Recently, we ate at Monell's at the Manor in Nashville. You are served at a table with random people with large serving dishes and you can have as much as you want. But the quality of food we had was very high. Not like usual all you can eat fare.

Mr. Pink
04-01-2018, 09:46 PM
Nashville has a pretty cool young foodie scene right now, and it's evolving. So, what I'm saying is, you may have some good luck away from the established touristy places. Check Yelp. I was there last year for a few days, and, honestly, forgot the name of two places, but, they were way cool, and tasty. A bit hipster, though, but, that's ok.

jwalther
04-02-2018, 05:40 AM
My son is a freshman at Tulane, and we're planning our end of year trip to bring him home. He's requested lunch at Turkey and the Wolf, and dinner at Superior Seafood.

bikinchris
04-02-2018, 07:45 AM
Another good place in NOLA is Crabby Jacks. Not far from Bicycle World.

kppolich
04-02-2018, 08:41 AM
If you are going to be near downtown Nashville, check out the Pinewood Social.

yngpunk
04-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Recently, we ate at Monell's at the Manor in Nashville. You are served at a table with random people with large serving dishes and you can have as much as you want. But the quality of food we had was very high. Not like usual all you can eat fare.

There are several Monell's locations in Nashville, all serving the same food. The one at the Manor is located in the historic Colmere Mansion. The location in Germantown is the original.

Monel's has a rotating menu of mains, but will always have their skillet fried chicken. Food is served "family style", where its placed in large serving platters and passed around the table.

Speaking of chicken, surprised that no one had suggested Nashville Hot chicken at Hattie B's

Brendan Quirk
04-04-2018, 07:59 AM
My fave in NOLA by a mile in La Crêpe Nanou
http://lacrepenanou.com/

Enjoy!

ltwtsculler91
04-04-2018, 08:24 AM
Cochon in NOLA is one of the best restaurants I’ve been to in the last year. It’s definitely worth the trip over for dinner.
https://www.cochonrestaurant.com

zzy
04-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Couchon and Peche are two of my absolute favorites in the world. We liked Peche so much we went back and ordered a massive fishhead that was slow grilled with butter and salsa verde that had been spearfished that morning. Spectacular. You had to really dig at it, but the meat you got was as tender as it gets. Also had the best red shrimp of my life there. I also really enjoyed Commander's Palace, and the managers really went out of their way for us. Lovely people.

jtakeda
04-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Nashville:

Husk
Beacon light tea room
Hermitage cafe
Bolton’s
Martins bbq

Hattie bs is ok but not worth the wait IMO

staggerwing
04-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Just got back from NOLA a couple weeks back. Been several times before, both pre- and post-Katriana.

Galatoires-Old school French creole. Gentleman wear jackets kind of place. Some might find stuffy, but both times, we've had impressive, knowledgeable service. This past trip, wife and I split the duck crepe and escargot appetizers and bouillabaisse main course. Waiter even suggested we split, rather than ordering two main courses, and brought out properly plated. Found us a lovely, reasonably price wine to accompany too, on a list that goes into 4 figure territory. Just an all around highlight to our trip. Also, reservations only for the much more relaxed second floor dinning room. The first floor is more interesting.

K-Pauls-Some great tasting food, served in somewhat excessive quantities, with some fairly heavy saucing. With the large fried drum fillet, cream sauce, and full plate of pasta, my wife's entree had to be pushing 1500+ calories. Server lady was a bit of an airhead, with little knowledge of the menu.

Bevi's-As previously mentioned. This is more of a lunch counter experience, of the best kind. Had 1 lbs boiled crawfish, and fried oyster po'boy, and debris fries (fries covered in roast beef, cheese, and beef gravy), with a couple cold ones. Perhaps the best po'boy I've ever had. Nothing fancy, just perfect crusty french bread with sesame seed coating, which is the key, stuffed with a generous amount of properly fried oysters. This was a recommendation from Max, the 72 yo leader of our kayak tour.

Angelo Brocato-A few doors down Carrolton from Bevi. Go there for dessert after. Italian pastries, homemade gelato and excellent coffee.

Casamento's-Longstanding oyster fix place out on Magazine. The 11 bus can take you there from downtown easily. Open only a few hours for lunch, and a few more for dinner. Closed in summer months. Best grilled oysters in town. Can be skipped if not an oyster head.

Cochon-Probably the second best meal of this last trip, although the service left us a bit cold. One server initiated the meal, taking our drink, appetizer and meal orders, only to disappear. Items were brought by several people, whenever they were finished by the open kitchen, and the another server stepped in to finish the service. Really tasty food, a bit rustic in presentation (our rabbit dish had some hidden bones to find) , with so hip as to be annoying service.

Cellar Door-Just found this place walking back from my day at the conference. Go for the 4-7 happy hour, if you like craft cocktails. Wife and I both found some new/old favorites, an Aviation for her and a Last Word for me. Had some great bar nibbles, including perhaps the best brussel sprout dish I've ever had (with pork belly, spicy peppers, and a sweet and savory sauce).

Company Burger-Suppose just another hip burger joint, although NOLA based, but it was excellent. Far better than the Five Guys, and Shake Shack experiences that I've had. Can even get a side of freshly cooked cracklins. Glad I don't live closer.

The Courtyard Brewery-Not much on atmosphere, but their beers, and guest taps are very well done. A must stop if you're a beer geek, and perhaps not, if that isn't your thing. Didn't try them, as we were headed to a fancier option, but the food tent taco's looked, and smelled, like a great choice.

Dat Dog-Needed some mid-afternoon caloric intake while wondering Magazine street. Had a grilled crawfish sausage smothered in crawfish etouffee. Where else in the world are you going to find such a ridiculous, and tasty creation. There is another location our on Frenchman, for some late night fuel when your catching some local tunes.

Finally, if you are looking for a little something extra to do, we thought the Machac Swamp kayak tour was a rather pleasant way to spend the morning. There are several vendors, but went with the father/son team from Wild Louisiana Tours. The son was off making images in Yosemite, while Max, the 72yo old, naturalist/game warden father led our small, six person trip.

Chuckjg112
04-04-2018, 07:23 PM
In NOLA, I second the John Besh recommendation and would definitely try Brigsten’s