PDA

View Full Version : OT: MacBook vs MacBook Air

William
04-01-2018, 10:40 AM
What are you using? What are your likes and dislikes? Looking at them for our daughter for when she takes off for college in August.

Thanks!
William

R3awak3n
04-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Macbook for sure. The air is too old now and rumours are they are releasing a new one in the next few months. I just bough a macbook, its excellent as a laptop. Probably best laptop i ever used. Keyboard is great, trackpad as well. Screen is gourgeous. It weights less than 2 lbs. fast enough for everything I want to do with it. Oh battery life is very long.

If your daughter wants a good internet machine, also good for office and stuff like that. If she wants to do something more graphic heavy, she should get a mac book pro

kgreene10
04-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Had the air for four years and now the pro. The keyboard is better on the air but not terrible on the pro after you get used to it. Reverse for the screen. The pro is smaller but the screen sits a bit higher on the air and so your neck angle isn’t as radical when using it - that’s the biggest deal for an old guy like me. The pro uses USB-C exclusively, so you need to keep an adapter in your pocket pretty much all the time. Also, for some reason, the pro seems less stable. It has stopped crashing recently - maybe an update fixed it - but I had some real trouble with that for months.

sooshi
04-01-2018, 11:48 AM
I've had the MacBook for about 1.5 years and as I do love the size and weight of the computer there are a few nuances for me. First, I originally thought I'd like the new keyboard design but after some time, I've learned it takes a lot more of a forceful input on the keys as I'm constantly misspelling words because the key strike wasn't registered. Second, I don't like there are no additional ports other than the one USB-C, so you can never be charging and backing up to an external HD etc. at the same time. I'd go with the MacBook Pro if I could do it again.

Dude
04-01-2018, 11:55 AM
I've used both. Unless she's doing design or anything processor heavy (photo editing /film stuff) she'd be fine with an air.

I do web development on a 2015 pro and push it to it's limit 5% of the time.

I know you mentioned Apples, unless you are tied to an apple, look at Chromebooks too.

It mainly depends on her needs though.

AJM100
04-01-2018, 12:31 PM
As others have said, depends on intended usage and needs. I have and use. both 13" models (and the 15" Pro model years ago).

The Air is sufficient for many tasks, including running bootcamp with Windows 10. The flash drive options limit storage IMO, but there are plenty of external solutions. Battery life; weight and ease of portability are the biggest pluses with the Air IMO.

In the end, can't go wrong with either.

rousseau
04-01-2018, 12:40 PM
I've had a MacBook Pro for a couple years now that I use for work. It's powerful enough, the build is high quality and the fan is really quiet (i.e. hardly ever comes on), which is really important to me.

And through the magic of Bootcamp I use Windows 10 which works wonderfully on my MacBook Pro. I never got a Mac before because the Mac operating system is so awful, but now that the MacBook Pro consistently gets rated as one of the best computers for running Windows, I get the best both worlds: Mac hardware and PC software.

I've heard that the Mac OS and/or software is somewhat superior to Windows/PC if you're doing a lot of heavy duty graphics work, but I don't know anything about that.

oldpotatoe
What are you using? What are your likes and dislikes? Looking at them for our daughter for when she takes off for college in August.

Thanks!
William

Son just got a refurb Macbook from Apple..pretty hard to beat..

Gsinill
In the same boat, need to replace my MBA at work.
You might want to check where the different models are in their lifecycle:
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com

Tony T
04-01-2018, 12:44 PM
I love my MacBook Air. 8 years old, and going strong.
That said, I bought it when the MacBook was bigger and heavier than it is now.
When the time comes, I'll get the MacBook.

William
04-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Thank for your replies folks!:cool:

Usage won't be very graphics heavy but will be the usual college word processing, number crunching, report creating, and net browsing.

William

tylercheung
04-01-2018, 01:47 PM
I have a 2014-ish Macbook Pro 13" which has been the perfect laptop for a while...so good I don't see the reason to upgrade. But it's heavier than both of what you mention above.

The old MacBook Airs have a loyal fan following because the keyboards seem to be more durable and have keys that have more of a "keyboard feel". The new MacBooks are really nice because of hardware, better screen, and lightness...but for the keyboard, the key travel is shorter and "clickier". This appeals to some and not to others. The buttons are also harder to repair but as long as you have the AppleCare warranty Apple is pretty good about taking care of things. (warranty always essential for anything that isn't a desktop, and therefore bumpable/droppable/subject to wear, in my opinion).

Climb01742
04-01-2018, 02:35 PM
I use both, though my MacBook is older. It really is a can't go wrong choice. I use my Air more because it's lighter and the instant on feature. But it looks like the newest MacBook is pretty close to the Air in how light it is. This may seem trivial, but over time it isn't: pick what's lightest. She'll be carrying it around with her everywhere. I haven't checked, but if the newest MacBook is close to the weight of the Air, maybe that because it's a) newer and b) light. But I'm happy as a clam with my-few-year-old Air. (And yes, the keys are nice.)

R3awak3n
04-01-2018, 02:39 PM
I use both, though my MacBook is older. It really is a can't go wrong choice. I use my Air more because it's lighter and the instant on feature. But it looks like the newest MacBook is pretty close to the Air in how light it is. This may seem trivial, but over time it isn't: pick what's lightest. She'll be carrying it around with her everywhere. I haven't checked, but if the newest MacBook is close to the weight of the Air, maybe that because it's a) newer and b) light. But I'm happy as a clam with my-few-year-old Air. (And yes, the keys are nice.)

fyi, the new macs are swapped, the macbook is now the smaller lightest mac. Its 12in and weights less than 2 lbs. Its funny because I thought the air was small. The macbook is even smaller, its a pretty impressive little machine. Its not fast, its expensive but its a hell of laptop as far as laptops go.

Climb01742
04-01-2018, 02:50 PM
fyi, the new macs are swapped, the macbook is now the smaller lightest mac. Its 12in and weights less than 2 lbs. Its funny because I thought the air was small. The macbook is even smaller, its a pretty impressive little machine. Its not fast, its expensive but its a hell of laptop as far as laptops go.

Cool, thanks for the info. I read some about the new MacBook, but I stopped before I knew too much. Why? 'Cause I'd want it! My Air is treating me well. I must not let my eyes wander!;)

FlashUNC
04-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Macbook. The Air has no reason to exist anymore given what they've done with the Macbook.

AJM100
04-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Macbook. The Air has no reason to exist anymore given what they've done with the Macbook.

The new MacBooks are limited IMO due to limited ports. In this regard the Air is much more versatile. THE reason I have no interest in the MacBook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

572cv
04-01-2018, 03:10 PM
The new MacBooks are limited IMO due to limited ports. In this regard the Air is much more versatile. THE reason I have no interest in the MacBook

The ports are all usb-c for versatility. Go to monoprice for cheap and good quality cables and adaptors. I was skeptical at first, but this is the next wave, and applw]e has always pushed that. It just means your MacBook will be useful longer. My macboop]k pro from this fall has been excellent.

AJM100
04-01-2018, 03:17 PM
The ports are all usb-c for versatility. Go to monoprice for cheap and good quality cables and adaptors. I was skeptical at first, but this is the next wave, and applw]e has always pushed that. It just means your MacBook will be useful longer. My macboop]k pro from this fall has been excellent.

My comment was about the MacBook's singular USB-c port. The Pro is different animal.

pdmtong
04-01-2018, 05:46 PM
I asked this same question recently

Air - some users may prefer due to tactile aspect of keypad, function keys not tool bar and older style ports. it is considered the low-medium usage macbook and will either get a major overhaul or be discontinued. If this is the limit of your budget, get it and dont look back

If you can spend more, get the pro. smaller, essentially same weight and retina display.