PDA

View Full Version : watch out for pigeons...

shinomaster
10-12-2006, 01:36 AM
They can strike in many ways at any time. Today when sitting in the sun at my favorite coffe shop, Stumptown, I noticed that far above me in perfect striking distance were a small airforce of pigeon bombers, roosting. The last time I was out at this particular coffee shop a young hipster, clearly trying to impress a girl with his messy hair and tight pants cried out in horror when a pigeon scored a direct hit on his coiffure. I died laughing, and told him that in some places it is concidered good luck. The poor guy was devastated I could tell..
So today I moved my table out from under these pigeons into the sun. Clever I though I was. I went in to get a refill on my java. What I retured there was a huge splattered bird poop where my big white diner cup had been..So gross! I had just narrowly avoided disaster, an unwelcome flavor addition to my aged Sumatran..I was lucky.

classic1
10-12-2006, 03:14 AM
Pigeons are lightweights.

Here is a picture of Satan in bird form

http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/plants_animals/photos/5x5/bird_australian_magpie.jpg

TimD
10-12-2006, 06:56 AM
You definitely don't want to stand under a group of howler monkeys.

Kevan
10-12-2006, 07:02 AM
rats.

Erik.Lazdins
10-12-2006, 08:02 AM
To all those who have been "pegged" by a bird - I got your back. In 2006 YTD I have hit 3 birds while on my morning rides. All 3 were direct helmet hits (one hit my glasses first - important to have clear lenses on!)

I'm not counting the 2 glancing blows as official so the count is at 3 for the year.

One near miss was a clever, defensive manouver as the bird scored a direct hit of "white" on my headtube.

Be careful out there!

BumpyintheBurgh
10-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Beware of flying elephants. You'll need more than an umbrella.

Birddog
10-12-2006, 09:05 AM
SEAGULLS!!! they drop about a cup (8 oz.s) per deposit and their diet isn't exactly Kosher.

Birddog

tch
10-12-2006, 09:42 AM
but it's the time of the season in New England for acorns. They may be small, but let them drop from 30' and there's a lot of momentum going. It significantly ups the ante on helmet-wearing.

...And don't even get me started on the locust and buckeye nuts. We're talking potential concussion. I had one drop in front of me last week and I could hear it hit the pavement from 20 yards away!

Kevan
10-12-2006, 09:51 AM
but it's the time of the season in New England for acorns. They may be small, but let them drop from 30' and there's a lot of momentum going. It significantly ups the ante on helmet-wearing.

...And don't even get me started on the locust and buckeye nuts. We're talking potential concussion. I had one drop in front of me last week and I could hear it hit the pavement from 20 yards away!

when you're with a small group of riders, the tempo is slow, and this odd thought comes to your mind and you want to share it? Happened to me a couple weekends ago when I asked my pals about this very subject-accorns. Any of the rest of you notice a particularly bountiful harvest of acorns this year? I'll have you know that Mikemets whole-heartedly agreed with me.

Squirrels are going to be fat for this oncoming winter.

catulle
10-12-2006, 10:22 AM
THE WORST-est...!!!

konstantkarma
10-12-2006, 10:27 AM

Here's the standard issue on my property in Maryland. Old bike helmet and rake. Lots of pin and white oaks literally raining acorns. Last year I raked up 4 full trash cans full of them!

shinomaster
10-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Buckeye nut?

konstantkarma
10-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Buckeye nut?
Well. I am originally from Ohio.

yeehawfactor
10-12-2006, 11:31 AM
merckx never had any real difficulties...........
http://www.cyclingstars.dk/pingeon.jpg

BumpyintheBurgh
10-12-2006, 02:39 PM
SEAGULLS!!! they drop about a cup (8 oz.s) per deposit and their diet isn't exactly Kosher.

Birddog
Hey Birddog, how did you get that seagull to poop in your cup?