PDA

View Full Version : 130 vs 135

Indee
04-24-2004, 11:47 AM
As you may recall from a previous post, I am getting an all-rounder. It will see everything from road rides to touring Europe to dirt roads to light singletrack to cyclocross. Originally I was going with 135 rear hub spacing, but now am considering 130 so that I can have two wheel sets: a king/cxp set for rougher stuff/cross/touring, and then a prebuilt road set as well (maybe like FSAs, which I can get a good deal on...much cheaper than another King setup).

Will there be a noticable difference in wheel strength and lateral rigidity between 130 and 135 hub spacing, all else being equal?

Would going to a 130 throw off my chainline as I'll be running a triple up front?

The idea of doing 130 is so I can swap wheels in a minute or so. Am I correct, or would I still have to do some derailleur adjustment, etc? Maybe I should just have one wheel set and swap tires. Thoughts?

Peter
04-24-2004, 04:35 PM
If you're interested in quick, no fuss wheel swaps, then the WHEELS should be IDENTICAL. Here's what I've learned from experience:

Rims: If they're not the same width you wind up fiddling with the brake adjusters.

Hubs/cassettes: If they're not the same you wind up fiddling with the derailleur adjustment screws.

I have a road bike with 135mm spacing and while I can't tell any difference in lateral rigidity, I must say the wheels stay true much longer.

Cassette position never changes, only chainring positioning with 2 vs. 3 rings and BB axle length. Only those two factors will affect chainline, so it should not be an issue.