PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip bike shop mechanics?

NYCfixie
03-31-2018, 02:52 PM
I do not use the LBS as much since I moved to Boston mostly because I have fewer bikes (N=1 currently) and I simply do not have as much time to ride.

I dropped my bike off the other day at a new to me LBS (recommended by another local) to have a stem and brakes swapped/installed. It is a very high-end "studio". I picked up the bike today and the head mechanic who did the work handled the payment via their computer system. After paying, I said thank you and handed him a $5 "tip" at the same time. He said thanks but gave me a look as if I handed him a pile of poo.

It reminded me of another similar encounter at a different high-end "studio" in the Boston area. The head mechanic built up a new to me bike that the studio sold me (parts and all). When I went to pick it up I shared how grateful I was and handed him a $20 tip. He tossed the $20 on his bench as if I handed him a flaming pile of poo.

Is this normal?
Am I missing something?
Is my thank you gesture insulting them in some way?

At my old LBS in NJ that I frequented for 10 years, I always tipped the mechanic for all work and they were always appreciative. Are the rules of etiquette and bike shop employees different in MA? (this is a serious question)

arimajol
03-31-2018, 02:53 PM
I haven't tipped in money, but i have tipped in beer and homemade desserts. Last time I brought by some cheesecake, the mechanic didn't charge for the derailleur hanger re-alignment.

likebikes
03-31-2018, 02:54 PM
it's a boston thing.

1centaur
03-31-2018, 03:19 PM
it's a boston thing.

I can easily believe this. The local culture is stand-offish vs. much of the country.

No I have never tipped. I was treated best when I was a frequent and pleasant customer. Otherwise, it's just a transaction, not personal.

Cicli
03-31-2018, 03:27 PM
Nope, they do a job and het paid for it. I am in the service business and dont expect tips. I get offers once in a while. I always refuse the gesture and remind them I appreciate their business.

Ken Robb
03-31-2018, 03:32 PM
If you tip a bike mechanic do you tip an auto mechanic? How about a plumber?

How does one decide which workmen should be offered a tip? Are you suggesting that a worker is underpaid when you offer a tip? Would you tip a hairstylist who works in someone else's shop? OTOH if the owner does your hair are you suggesting that he doesn't know how much he should charge by offering HIM a tip?

It's a complicated subject, I think.

pjbaz
03-31-2018, 03:42 PM
Tips should never be mandatory, and I choose based on the situation.

I tipped the two guys who installed my kitchen counter the other day because they did a good job and also repaired a bunch of small things no one will ever see when they could have left it rickety and such.

Bike shop tips (rare bc I rarely use the service dept.) are usually beer.

However, in MA (I'm originally a Masshole) you have to understand that basically everyone thinks you think you're trying to be better then them. So, when confronted with any situation, ask yourself, or better yet ask out loud in an aggressive tone, "what, you think you're better then me?"

wc1934
03-31-2018, 03:43 PM
it's a boston thing.

hey!!!

Gummee
03-31-2018, 04:20 PM

How does one decide which workmen should be offered a tip? Are you suggesting that a worker is underpaid when you offer a tip? Would you tip a hairstylist who works in someone else's shop? OTOH if the owner does your hair are you suggesting that he doesn't know how much he should charge by offering HIM a tip?

It's a complicated subject, I think.

The difference between your car mechanic, your plumber, and me the bike mechanic is they make 'real' money.

Tips are always appreciated.

M

Hilltopperny
03-31-2018, 04:26 PM
I tip the shop when I spend the day building up my bikes with their tools. Usually $20 or buy everybody lunch/baked goods. I've never tipped on top of a bill.

bikinchris
03-31-2018, 04:29 PM
The difference between your car mechanic, your plumber, and me the bike mechanic is they make 'real' money.

Tips are always appreciated.

M

Exactly. I know car nechanics that make better money than the asst. manager.
No so for bike mechanics. Not that it is your job to make up for their low pay. But really good work deserves a tip.
As for the OP, I really think I would have asked for the tip back if they make like they don't appreciate it. Screw them.

jghall
03-31-2018, 04:43 PM
Nope. Though when the shop is doing a complete build, I've been known to bring in some good beer for the crew.

adub
03-31-2018, 04:54 PM
You should paypal me a tip for reading this entire thread!

C40_guy
03-31-2018, 05:18 PM

I’ve been going to the same independent car mechanic for almost three decades. While I don’t tip him, I do bring him a couple of bottles of very nice wine every December.

sparky33
03-31-2018, 05:47 PM
Geez, the one’s I would happily pay extra never even let me pay what the job is worth. Go figure.

Fwiw, a little generosity goes a long way. A few extra dollars might not make a huge financial difference to you or the other person, but it’s an unequivocal sign of appreciation and good will, maybe the best value there is for your dollar.

AngryScientist
03-31-2018, 05:50 PM
my bike mechanic, car mechanic, plumber, electrician, general carpenter and handyman are all the same person. the pay is crap though...

sparky33
03-31-2018, 06:10 PM
my bike mechanic, car mechanic, plumber, electrician, general carpenter and handyman are all the same person. the pay is crap though...

You deserve a raise.

zzy
03-31-2018, 06:13 PM
Consider your tips as a vote for a mechanic to continue to stay in the industry. Wrenches are leaving it in record numbers for better paying work. I suppose it depends on the work done, but if a wrench stops everything he's doing to knock out your repair right away, a gratuity is always appreciated.

NYCfixie
03-31-2018, 07:53 PM
I finally had those TRP RG-957 brakes I got from you installed. And a stem too.

Just trying to understand the lay of the land. I would never want to insult anyone by way of a meaningful (tip) gesture. I felt extremely awkward in both cases and could tell it was not that the mechanics were overwhelmed with joy due to my monetary tip. It was their tone and body gestures that made me feel like I had given them each a lump of poo (even worse than if I handed them a lump of coal).

Geez, the one’s I would happily pay extra never even let me pay what the job is worth. Go figure.

Fwiw, a little generosity goes a long way. A few extra dollars might not make a huge financial difference to you or the other person, but it’s an unequivocal sign of appreciation and good will, maybe the best value there is for your dollar.

Gartenmeister
03-31-2018, 09:21 PM
I work as a bike mechanic. I think I've received a tip only once. It was $3 and I was told it was because the lady was thrilled that I managed to fix some thing or other (that had been quoted for replacement) and saved her some coin.

Speaking only personally, I'd appreciate the gesture if I had gone out of my way in some manner (fixed something on the spot, got a part from home, etc) but would be pretty surprised if a customer tipped on an ordinary ticket.

fa63
03-31-2018, 09:26 PM
I work one day a week (Saturdays) at my buddy's shop. I have been offered a tip several times, but I always politely decline. I just see it as my job to provide friendly service and repairs done right the first time. Beer/cookies/etc. are always welcome though, and our regulars do that instead of offering money :)

jtbadge
03-31-2018, 09:27 PM
My mechanic friends all say there is plenty of beer in every bike shop, but food is the best tip.

CiclistiCliff
03-31-2018, 09:38 PM
You should never feel obligated to tip. That’s my mindset, but even as a ‘broke bike mechanic’ I tip when I can.

I am a bike mechanic and I manage the store. I NEVER expect a tip from a customer, but I will not turn down a gesture of appreciation. I thank them, profusely. This is not based on greed, but based on the idea that if I were showing thanks to any form of service employee in the form of money, food, beverage or anything else I would be a bit turned off by someone not accepting my gesture of thanks.

I have a customer who tips me one or two 20 dollar bills every time I see him, and EVERY TIME I remind him that it’s not necessary and he shouldn’t feel obligated to do so. We’ve spoken about it outside of the store and he won’t have it. He says he was raised to show appreciation when possible and since he doesn’t drink, is a **** cook and always short on time he would rather give me a few bucks to get a decent meal on his dime.

Some people are simply more generous than others and this doesn’t mean they’re wealthier than everyone else.

Most notable tips in the last year - I NEVER ask for anything. Fellow forum members can confirm
Bottle of Yamazaki 12 from a long time customer. That caught me off guard
Bottle of Pascual Toso Malbec. New customer, we talked about wines and bikes and an hour later came back with an expensive bottle.
Couple of long time customers with thank you cards and a large sum of cash
Bottle of Macallan
Three bottles from Rogue distillery - single malt, rum and blended
Take off parts to help finish my mtb. He knew I was building up a bike and he left me his fork and drivetrain when he updated both - monetarily, that was the biggest ‘tip’
The list goes on....

Duende
03-31-2018, 09:57 PM
I ALWAYS tip my bike mechanic. The Bay Area cost of living is too much for most blue collar jobs to cut it pay wise.

Anything I can do to help even thing out and keep labor force in the city is a win win in my book.

joosttx
03-31-2018, 10:02 PM
High-end bike "studios" should charge a high price for services. My shop prices are outrageous but the work is outrageously good as well as the customer service. I feel I get what I pay for. The mechanic there is good like really good and professional. I would feel like a twit if I tipped him. The reason is he is a professional and $20 or $5 buck tip is almost insulting for the quality of work he does.

I guess if I asked for a rush service or something special or was annoying I would do something like a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. That is a more civilized way of showing gratitude than a monetary tip. I try and be as professional as he when we interact. He shows me respect and I do too. I feel we are equals (that what I would like to think). I think tipping him an extra $5'er would be a passive-aggressive attempt to show I was superior to him. He if did it to me I would feel the same.

If it were a kid or a college student working as a mechanic in a normal bike shop I probably would think differently because I do not view a highschool kid or a kid in college as my equal. And I am pretty sure they are not getting paid anything for their work.

Marc40a
03-31-2018, 10:04 PM
However, in MA (I'm originally a Masshole) you have to understand that basically everyone thinks you think you're trying to be better then them. So, when confronted with any situation, ask yourself, or better yet ask out loud in an aggressive tone, "what, you think you're better then me?"

So funny because it’s true.

bikinchris
03-31-2018, 10:14 PM
My mechanic friends all say there is plenty of beer in every bike shop, but food is the best tip.

Yup. FEED ME. And yes, I get tipped pretty often and I always say a heartfelt thanks for the work and the tip. The best tips came from multi day rides where people used my floor pumps for the whole ride.

adub
03-31-2018, 10:22 PM
High-end bike "studios" should charge a high price for services. My shop prices are outrageous but the work is outrageously good as well as the customer service. I feel I get what I pay for. The mechanic there is good like really good and professional. I would feel like a twit if I tipped him. The reason is he is a professional and $20 or $5 buck tip is almost insulting for the quality of work he does.

I guess if I asked for a rush service or something special or was annoying I would do something like a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. That is a more civilized way of showing gratitude than a monetary tip. I try and be as professional as he when we interact. He shows me respect and I do too. I feel we are equals (that what I would like to think). I think tipping him an extra $5'er would be a passive-aggressive attempt to show I was superior to him. He if did it to me I would feel the same.

If it were a kid or a college student working as a mechanic in a normal bike shop I probably would think differently because I do not view a highschool kid or a kid in college as my equal. And I am pretty sure they are not getting paid anything for their work.

Well said!

NYCfixie
03-31-2018, 10:32 PM
I think a lot has to do with intent.

My intent, as a new customer, was to show how appreciative I was because at the beginning of the busy season they got me in and out in less than 48 hours even for a simple service.

I roll up to the LBS in my nine year old Subaru and there is/was nothing passive-aggressive or demeaning about my gesture today or at the other Boston area shop some time ago. In both instances, the mechanic could have politely said that the company had a policy about not accepting tips, could have said they appreciated the gesture but it was not necessary, or just taken the tip and simply said thank you. They both chose to make it awkward.

I was not the one being uncivilized. Their response was uncivilized but as others have suggested it could just be the North East stand-offish attitude.

Luwabra
04-01-2018, 06:42 AM
My problem would be where does the tipping end after the initial? Is it expected? Am I compelled to leave a tip this time? I overtip every time I feel it’s warranted probably from being in food service for a period. I agree w the food tip. My lbs wizard really appreciates fresh garden veggies or home cooked meals. We have established a relationship over the years so no way would I show up to a high end studio trying to tip w asparagus or lasagna....

ripvanrando
04-01-2018, 06:54 AM
Tip for routine, scheduled service? No

2 am emergency? Yes. $154 (all I had on me)

oldpotatoe
04-01-2018, 06:58 AM
I do not use the LBS as much since I moved to Boston mostly because I have fewer bikes (N=1 currently) and I simply do not have as much time to ride.

I dropped my bike off the other day at a new to me LBS (recommended by another local) to have a stem and brakes swapped/installed. It is a very high-end "studio". I picked up the bike today and the head mechanic who did the work handled the payment via their computer system. After paying, I said thank you and handed him a $5 "tip" at the same time. He said thanks but gave me a look as if I handed him a pile of poo.

It reminded me of another similar encounter at a different high-end "studio" in the Boston area. The head mechanic built up a new to me bike that the studio sold me (parts and all). When I went to pick it up I shared how grateful I was and handed him a $20 tip. He tossed the $20 on his bench as if I handed him a flaming pile of poo.

Is this normal?
Am I missing something?

At my old LBS in NJ that I frequented for 10 years, I always tipped the mechanic for all work and they were always appreciative. Are the rules of etiquette and bike shop employees different in MA? (this is a serious question)

When I owned the shop, we received tips in the form of $ fairly often..we had a jar labeled 'Harley fund'. It was appreciated but we would have rather had a sixer or chocolate chip cookies..made the whole deal more down to earth..

ripvanrando
04-01-2018, 07:22 AM
Shouldn't shops charge more money for service? Labor rates on cars range from $90-150/hr. Here are repair rates for a shop not far from me. They only charge $180 to build front and rear wheels or only $20 to replace a cable. Shops should charge more for service and pay their employees a better wage. Tipping is kinda degrading in my opinion.

https://koppscycle.net/about/service-menu-and-rates-pg70.htm

oldpotatoe
04-01-2018, 07:26 AM
Shouldn't shops charge more money for service? Labor rates on cars range from $90-150/hr. Here are repair rates for a shop not far from me. They only charge $180 to build front and rear wheels or only $20 to replace a cable. Shops should charge more for service and pay their employees a better wage. Tipping is kinda degrading in my opinion.

$90 per wheel labor? That's very high, IMHO. I used $70 per hour labor rate..I charged $60 per wheel to build..it takes about an hour to build a wheel..Their rates are very similar to the shops here in Boulder, BTW..

BUT it's whatever the market will bear..here in the republic, with over 20 LBS, if you charge too much, they go elsewhere, even if your service is better.

'Pay their employees and better wage'..that's a subject of it's own thread..What needs to improve is margin on 'stuff', particularly bikes.

fa63
04-01-2018, 07:35 AM
Changing a cable is a 5 minute job, assuming the housing stays in place or the frame doesn't have some wacky internal routing.

If a shop charges too much (for example charging $20 labor for a 5 minute job), people will just go elsewhere. This is for normal bike shops; high-end shops are in a better position to dictate their pricing.

sonicCows
04-01-2018, 09:46 AM
I think a lot has to do with intent.

My intent, as a new customer, was to show how appreciative I was because at the beginning of the busy season they got me in and out in less than 48 hours even for a simple service.

I roll up to the LBS in my nine year old Subaru and there is/was nothing passive-aggressive or demeaning about my gesture today or at the other Boston area shop some time ago. In both instances, the mechanic could have politely said that the company had a policy about not accepting tips, could have said they appreciated the gesture but it was not necessary, or just taken the tip and simply said thank you. They both chose to make it awkward.

I was not the one being uncivilized. Their response was uncivilized but as others have suggested it could just be the North East stand-offish attitude.

What happens when the high-end cycling "studio" also has a café built-in? Guess the food/cookies tip wouldn't go very far either...Also I'm just picking on your diction here but why would you consider it to be "uncivilized"? A cave man or monkey would have probablysniffed the money and/or eaten it...

BUT it's whatever the market will bear..here in the republic, with over 20 LBS, if you charge too much, they go elsewhere, even if your service is better.

'Pay their employees and better wage'..that's a subject of it's own thread..What needs to improve is margin on 'stuff', particularly bikes.
I agree, charging "real" rates to fix "real" bikes is appropriate but how many shops also deal with old and beat-up commuters, much less BikesDirect bikes that were put together quite cheaply? I understand that's what the co-op is for but if a shop wants to service those bike owners there's going should probably be tiers in service levels

MaraudingWalrus
04-01-2018, 11:13 AM
One of our regular customers occasionally way over pays for some stuff. For example, I built some wheels a few months ago, and was given a check for double the amount I'd told them it would cost. Super nice, but totally unnecessary.

I don't drink at all, so whenever people bring in a 6pack of whatever, that doesn't do anything for me. One guy I built some wheels for brought me a 6pack of fancy root beers, I was pretty excited about that.

NYCfixie
04-01-2018, 11:40 AM
It was a response to an earlier comment.

What happens when the high-end cycling "studio" also has a café built-in? Guess the food/cookies tip wouldn't go very far either...Also I'm just picking on your diction here but why would you consider it to be "uncivilized"? A cave man or monkey would have probablysniffed the money and/or eaten it...

I agree, charging "real" rates to fix "real" bikes is appropriate but how many shops also deal with old and beat-up commuters, much less BikesDirect bikes that were put together quite cheaply? I understand that's what the co-op is for but if a shop wants to service those bike owners there's going should probably be tiers in service levels

bmeryman
04-01-2018, 03:06 PM
I don't drink at all, so whenever people bring in a 6pack of whatever, that doesn't do anything for me. One guy I built some wheels for brought me a 6pack of fancy root beers, I was pretty excited about that.

Hehe, I get this. I don't drink either and the regular customers of the shop I worked at last who knew that would bring a six pack for everyone else and a chocolate milk or root beer for me. It was very much appreciated. On that note, everyone I've worked with always prefers food tips over cash. Any cash tips just went in a communal jar to buy snacks anyways.

Gummee
04-01-2018, 03:46 PM
I work one day a week (Saturdays) at my buddy's shop. I have been offered a tip several times, but I always politely decline. I just see it as my job to provide friendly service and repairs done right the first time. Beer/cookies/etc. are always welcome though, and our regulars do that instead of offering money :)

It's hard to pay bills with beer. Just sayin

Not that I don't appreciate whatever you're bringing in, but...

M

seric
04-01-2018, 05:44 PM
I'm in the Bay Area where living costs are high and always use the same mechanic. He enjoys Cannabis, so I bring him an 1/8th for every $120 or so of labor that I keep a vague tally of in my head. If he wasn't into Cannabis it would be bourbon. As a rule, I prefer tipping by way of items that would fall into "gift" territory to promote activity in the ventral tegmental area of the receipients midbrain. I regularly pick up bundles of $2 bills from my bank for coffee and counter service tips.

Seramount
04-01-2018, 06:40 PM
am only in a LBS on rare occasions...I don't tip for basic service work unless there is some obvious attempt to go above and beyond what's asked for...

however, a few years ago, I bought a F/F, sourced all the parts online, and took everything to a small shop near my house for the build. was expecting to just drop stuff off and come back later to pick up the finished product.

the young mechanic there, who'd worked with me before on some small repairs, said to come back after closing, and we'd put things together.

he did most of the work, taught me a ton of stuff, and wouldn't accept any money for his labor! said it was a cool bike and he liked working on 'nice stuff'...

I bought us pizza and good beers and he was happy with the whole deal.

a really nice experience.

54ny77
04-01-2018, 06:51 PM
funniest damned post i've read all year.

bravo!

p.s. is bike trip still around? i used to frequent them when i lived in s.c. many moons ago. wanna talk time warp? julie furtado used to be involved with a shop on seabright a looooong time ago, forget if she was part owner or just was involved in some way or another. that was the rumor. no idea if it's still around. i lived right down the block, what a great area back then. have heard a lot of santa cruz has gone to the crapper the past several years or so. insane housing costs as well as staggering increase in quality-of-life as well as real crimes.

I'm in the Bay Area where living costs are high and always use the same mechanic. He enjoys Cannabis, so I bring him an 1/8th for every $120 or so of labor that I keep a vague tally of in my head. If he wasn't into Cannabis it would be bourbon. As a rule, I prefer tipping by way of items that would fall into "gift" territory to promote activity in the ventral tegmental area of the receipients midbrain. I regularly pick up bundles of $2 bills from my bank for coffee and counter service tips.

ripvanrando
04-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Did he do the Trans Am Bike Race 2 years ago?

I raced with a Bay Area Mechanic. He and I talked bikes while he smoked and he knew his ****.

His stash did not make Colorado and he dropped out in Idaho or Montana IIRC

Hakkalugi
04-02-2018, 08:12 AM
I take an 11-pack to my LBS every couple of weeks. We have a local liquor store that also sells Ritter Sport chocolate so I’ll also drop off the espresso chocolates at the shop. I really spend very little money there, but the owners and staff are good personal friends so I figure it’s just rent for all the time I spend loitering there.

likebikes
04-02-2018, 10:13 AM
11 pack?

C40_guy
04-02-2018, 11:08 AM
11 pack?

One beer drive from the liquor store to the shop?

C40_guy
04-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Speaking as someone who has lived in New England for 35 years...

New Englanders can be pretty stand-offish...

OtayBW
04-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Speaking as someone who has lived in New England for 35 years...

New Englanders can be pretty stand-offish...
And yet, it would be interesting to hear the mechanic's perspective....

makoti
04-02-2018, 05:33 PM
What happens when the high-end cycling "studio" also has a café built-in? Guess the food/cookies tip wouldn't go very far either...

I tip, but usually $20 on a random visit, or a 6 of beer (although I'm going to stop that. Cookies. Not eveyone drinks, or should). I wouldn't, however, tip anywhere with a cafe built-in, unless they served me at a table. But, TBH, I would avoid those shops anyway.

Hakkalugi
04-02-2018, 08:15 PM
One beer drive from the liquor store to the shop?

Sort of depends on traffic. Sometimes it’s a 10-pack, but at least that’s metric.

Ralph
04-02-2018, 08:56 PM
No

makoti
04-02-2018, 09:32 PM
Consider your tips as a vote for a mechanic to continue to stay in the industry. Wrenches are leaving it in record numbers for better paying work. I suppose it depends on the work done, but if a wrench stops everything he's doing to knock out your repair right away, a gratuity is always appreciated.

Agree. It's like any other service situation. Did they go above & beyond? Treat you like you really do matter? Then they deserve it.

TonyG
04-03-2018, 01:17 AM
I hate the tipping process; even in a restaurant.

My problem is that I look at a menu or price list and that is what I should pay. If the service provider does a good job their employer should compensate them. It isn’t up to me to under-tip a poor server to modify some business’s employees poor work habits. If the service is exceptional then the employer should pay them more, as it is there good will that is being developed not mine and I shouldn’t be paying for that.

On the other hand if a shop employee stayed after hours and got me rolling again then yes I’ll tip them…. Hell yes!

CiclistiCliff
04-03-2018, 01:51 AM
Agree. It's like any other service situation. Did they go above & beyond? Treat you like you really do matter? Then they deserve it.

Yes.

On the other hand if a shop employee stayed after hours and got me rolling again then yes I’ll tip them…. Hell yes!

This happens a lot, and not because of poor time management, but because we're also bike nerds want to see everyone enjoying their bikes.

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 07:16 AM
I too hate the tipping process. It's stupid and most other countries do not do it. I do not want to send my own thread off course but restaurants should just raise prices, pay their servers more, hire the best servers they can afford, fire the bad ones, and end this stupid practice. I also can't stand that now every counter service place has a "tipping jar" and counter servers "expect" a tip for every sale.

Heck, even the local Thai take-out-food place put a tip jar on the counter. What changed in the last year that they now expect a tip for just taking my damn order? If anything, minimum wages were raised in the Boston area, by law, and food prices went up to compensate. Again, since it is expected that I am going to tip, just raise your prices since I am paying your servers more anyway.

Unfortunately my takeaway from this thread (so far) is that I am not going to tip bike shop employees anymore. If they go above and beyond, I'll make sure to say thanks to them and let them shop manager/owner know as well.

I hate the tipping process; even in a restaurant.

My problem is that I look at a menu or price list and that is what I should pay. If the service provider does a good job their employer should compensate them. It isn’t up to me to under-tip a poor server to modify some business’s employees poor work habits. If the service is exceptional then the employer should pay them more, as it is there good will that is being developed not mine and I shouldn’t be paying for that.

Tickdoc
04-03-2018, 07:36 AM
I'm a service tipper. Never cash to a bike shop though, usually beer, cookies, candy, etc.

I love having a relationship with the bike mechanics more than being just that guy who rides campy. Tip them and they remember you. Tip them and they help you when you are in a jam.

I've never had them give it back with disgust, tho. maybe it was because it was cash?

Tipping is a part of my family. It feels good to give a little extra when it feels like the person did a little more than expected.

Just had our whole house ducts cleaned recently. Two guys worked from 9-6. I had to go to the store while they were working and got them a tin of danish cookies. I got the feeling they don't get tips much because they looked like two kids on Christmas morning.

Same thing with my dog groomer.

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 07:44 AM
My issue is when it turns into an expectation for regular service; that is called pay and I should not have to pay the service employees salary directly. The business should raise its prices to compensate for a better salary that I am already paying via tips. It's the tip jar, that is out of control IMHO.

Again, I am not going to tip bike shop employees anymore because of these two bad experiences. I do not need people treating me like I handed them a pile of Poo when I was just trying to be nice.

I'm a service tipper. Never cash to a bike shop though, usually beer, cookies, candy, etc.

I love having a relationship with the bike mechanics more than being just that guy who rides campy. Tip them and they remember you. Tip them and they help you when you are in a jam.

I've never had them give it back with disgust, tho. maybe it was because it was cash?

Tipping is a part of my family. It feels good to give a little extra when it feels like the person did a little more than expected.

Just had our whole house ducts cleaned recently. Two guys worked from 9-6. I had to go to the store while they were working and got them a tin of danish cookies. I got the feeling they don't get tips much because they looked like two kids on Christmas morning.

Same thing with my dog groomer.

Blown Reek
04-03-2018, 07:52 AM
Being (almost) completely self-sufficient, I never go to any bike shop for anything. If something needs repair, and I don't have the tool, I'll go out and buy it. However, recently, I broke a spoke on a wheel with proprietary spokes, and didn't feel like going through the motions of ordering a spoke, replacing it, truing it- especially because it was under warranty.

Cutting to the chase, in my mind's eye, I figured that it would be a $50 repair. Sure enough, with the spoke, the repair was $28. Seeing how I was willing to pay more than that (the shipping would have been at least that), when the wheel was returned to me, I gave the mechanic $20.

The circle was completed, and life went on. I still spent the $50, everyone was happy and the wheel is as good as new. However, if the shop insisted that I buy a whole bag of proprietary spokes, I either would have gotten the individual spoke myself and done the work myself, or I would not have tipped at all.

Go above and beyond? Sure, that's worth a tip. But doing what you are supposed to do? No effin' way.

glepore
04-03-2018, 07:52 AM
I actually tip my car mechanic as well. I drive some unusual older euro stuff, and he's an ex dealership mechanic who actually understands them, and will take the time to run down stuff that other guys shrug at. So yeah, he gets a case o beer in the trunk on occasion.

I tip my bike mechanic as well-I usually have a triple or quad whilst I'm wrenching on my rides.:banana:

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Being (almost) completely self-sufficient, I never go to any bike shop for anything. If something needs repair, and I don't have the tool, I'll go out and buy it....

Downsize from a house with a basement and a garage to a 750sqft apartment and tell me where you can fit tools and a work-space. And, do not forget the wife who you have known for 27 years, been married to for 17 years, really care about, and who wants an "adult living space". No more parts washing in the sink or wheel washing in the shower/tub (that is what I did when we were in our 20s and rented an apartment before we bought the house).

So funny how the circle of life is: rental apartment => owned nice house => nice rental apartment.

Our bikes (1 each) are kept in a storage locker on the service level in our building so these days I really depend on bike shops to service our bikes.

Mikej
04-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Downsize from a house with a basement and a garage to a 750sqft apartment and tell me where you can fit tools and a work-space. And, do not forget the wife who you have known for 27 years, been married to for 17 years, really care about, and who wants an "adult living space". No more parts washing in the sink or wheel washing in the shower/tub (that is what I did when we were in our 20s and rented an apartment before we bought the house).

So funny how the circle of life is: rental apartment => owned nice house => nice rental apartment.

Our bikes (1 each) are kept in a storage locker on the service level in our building so these days I really depend on bike shops to service our bikes.

Interesting perspective- I couldn’t do it, but you have a set of circumstances there. Does your mechanic degrease your chain and clean your bike?Has anybody ever received poor service for not tipping bike mechanic? I’d have to have a Park tool briefcase and a Feedback stand in that bike locker.

Gummee
04-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Interesting perspective- I couldn’t do it, but you have a set of circumstances there. Does your mechanic degrease your chain and clean your bike?Has anybody ever received poor service for not tipping bike mechanic? I’d have to have a Park tool briefcase and a Feedback stand in that bike locker.

I've never given sub-standard service work to someone that doesn't tip, but will frequently do a little bit more to those that do.

Sometimes it's quicker turnaround. Sometimes it's a break on labor. etc

We're people, not robots. The customers that appreciate us usually get better treatment.

M

chiasticon
04-03-2018, 08:53 AM
you let other people work on your bikes?

Clancy
04-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Don’t tip me...

Instead bring in a somewhat clean bike for me to work on. Would much rather have that.

The ones who do tip usually end up expecting favors, an unbalanced relationship to get into and one that’s difficult to treat objectively.

No, customers that bring in a decently cleaned bike w/o locks and bags hanging off of it, accepts the time schedule, I’ll take that customer all day.

While we’ll on this, why do people think it’s ok to ask a Tech for free advice? I get this all the time...”can I ask you a quick question” then goes on to ask how he can fix a repair he started on but doesn’t know how to do it.

In what world do people walk into a car shop, ask to speak to a mechanic, and ask how to clean and adjust their fuel injection?

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 09:06 AM

My wife and I downsized on purpose. Simpler life = more money in the bank/investments = much earlier retirement.

I wash my bike and de-grease the chain at the back of our apartment building (when nobody is looking) using the house for the raised planting beds.

you let other people work on your bikes?

It took almost 3 years to find a LBS I trust in the Boston for service work.

Don’t tip me...

Instead bring in a somewhat clean bike for me to work on. Would much rather have that.

Always do. Saddle bag and pump removed at home. Bike is ready to go.

Drop off, explain what I need, never ask for special treatment, when they ask when I need it back I simply state as soon as they can get to it but no rush, and then I leave and wait for a call or email to come pick it up; I never call and "check-in" on status of repair. I also never go to a LBS between March and October unless it is an emergency. Using service during the off-season brings its own better level of service because nobody is rushed.

oldpotatoe
04-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Don’t tip me...

The ones who do tip usually end up expecting favors, an unbalanced relationship to get into and one that’s difficult to treat objectively.

No, customers that bring in a decently cleaned bike w/o locks and bags hanging off of it, accepts the time schedule, I’ll take that customer all day.

While we’ll on this, why do people think it’s ok to ask a Tech for free advice? I get this all the time...”can I ask you a quick question” then goes on to ask how he can fix a repair he started on but doesn’t know how to do it.

In what world do people walk into a car shop, ask to speak to a mechanic, and ask how to clean and adjust their fuel injection?

Mee too but sometimes you just don't..hope you don't chastise the person for a dirty bike..

Cuz they don't know the answer..please complain here but if you jump down the customer's throat for asking something..don't be surprised they go somewhere else in this VERY competitive bike shop environment.

Business reduction plan, if you do...

Clancy
04-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Mee too but sometimes you just don't..hope you don't chastise the person for a dirty bike..

Cuz they don't know the answer..please complain here but if you jump down the customer's throat for asking something..don't be surprised they go somewhere else in this VERY competitive bike shop environment.

Business reduction plan, if you do...

Agreed. We have a cleaning fee that we charge if a bike is excessively dirty, I’ve never charged it.

I also smile and act as if the only thing I have to do that day is have a fun talk advising someone how to do their own repairs. They usually leave with a handful of free crimps and ferrels (the cheap ones!)

But those mtb’ers that come in right off the muddy trail, want a spoke replaced and a suspension rebuild, and oh, they are hoping to ride tomorrow. And by the way, how can they set up their 3x9 to a 1X, they’re going to do it themselves.

I get that all the time.

My son’s SRAM grip shifter broke, how do I replace it? Fifteen minutes of my life I can’t spare and will never get back, but smile, smile!

Bob Ross
04-03-2018, 09:39 AM
I have on two or three occasions tipped the mechanic after they did some work and didn't charge me for it. And in all those instances getting them to accept any money was like pulling teeth.

otoh any time I have brought the mechanic a 6-pack of beer they have been overtly appreciative.

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 09:40 AM
The polite answer: I would love to help you. Please know the shop charges for my time so let's set a date/time to bring in your bike, I'll work beside you and help if needed, you can use our tools, this is the hourly fee, and I think it should take about X hours.

The bitchy answer: What do you do for a living? (customer responds with banker, accountant, attorney, plumber, etc.) Then say, sure I will tell you exactly how you do it...just after you tell me how to invest my money risk free, do my taxes for free, help me with this legal matter I have for free, or come unclog my drain for free over the weekend (when you normally charge double rates).

This issue drives me crazy. Nothing in life is FREE.

I used to managed computer help desks and other employees always wanted us (my team or me) to fix their personal computers on company time. A few people had the audacity to even ask if we could come to their homes on the weekend. The request was usually cleared up simply by stating, "I'll ask your boss if I can charge our time to you department assuming you use your personal computer for company work, which by the way is against company policy. If I am in a good mood I might try: sure, you can work out an arrangement with one of my staff for $150 per hour but the meeting and work must happen off company property and not on company time. And, I will need to report this to HR so my team member does not break company policy for having another job/business". Word got out very quickly that this was not okay.

Agreed. We have a cleaning fee that we charge if a bike is excessively dirty, I’ve never charged it.

I also smile and act as if the only thing I have to do that day is have a fun talk advising someone how to do their own repairs. They usually leave with a handful of free crimps and ferrels (the cheap ones!)

But those mtb’ers that come in right off the muddy trail, want a spoke replaced and a suspension rebuild, and oh, they are hoping to ride tomorrow. And by the way, how can they set up their 3x9 to a 1X, they’re going to do it themselves.

I get that all the time.

My son’s SRAM grip shifter broke, how do I replace it? Fifteen minutes of my life I can’t spare and will never get back, but smile, smile!

AngryScientist
04-03-2018, 09:52 AM
This issue drives me crazy. Nothing in life is FREE.

incorrect. the best things in life are free.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OXn_751afbQ/Wmz8DVfo8nI/AAAAAAAAC9g/j2cWbwfRXTU02cg4Xb0z_jaSx-Msz8qGgCEwYBhgL/s1200/IMG_1966.JPG

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Strong disagree. Taxes are used to pay for the purchase/management/upkeep of federal, state, and local land.

incorrect. the best things in life are free.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OXn_751afbQ/Wmz8DVfo8nI/AAAAAAAAC9g/j2cWbwfRXTU02cg4Xb0z_jaSx-Msz8qGgCEwYBhgL/s1200/IMG_1966.JPG

raygunner
04-03-2018, 10:25 AM

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 10:43 AM

So no, I just cannot justify a $15 charge ($30 total) for changing out the brake pads for each brake.

Another shop finished a build for me and I was shocked at what they charged me. So no, I won't be going back.

And I can't blame them, I'm sure they're getting squeezed but again, it's simply not affordable....

I do not mind the per-service-item costs when you consider what they need to do: get your bike in the stand, read the ticket, asses the situation, do the work, put the bike back in storage, update the ticket, contact the customer, and ring you out when you come pick it up. That is all time and time is money.

The issue for me is the bike build-up fees as you suggest. Bike shops should move away from flat fees and charge for time and/or bike type. A local area Boston shop charges $413 for a bike build from bare frame. It is the same whether it is a mechanical rim brake road bike with external routing, a road bike with internal cable routing (which I have heard can be very time consuming), gravel bike with hydro, or a mountain bike with hydro/dropper/suspension-fork. It does not seem to make sense. A simple mechanical road bike with rim brakes can be built in 2-3 hours whereas the others can take 4-5 hours, or even more. Charge based on actual service.

kevinvc
04-03-2018, 10:52 AM
I'll occasionally bring a 12-pack of Ranier or PBR by the shop. I once brought in some good local microbrew and they thanked me but said that they really prefer the cheap stuff so don't waste my money on the fancy kind.

I never bring the beer when I'm buying something or dropping off a bike for servicing. I don't want them to think I'm trying to get a discount or special service. I'll wait until I'm picking it up or if I just happen to be in the area.

As for restaurant tipping, people love to complain about it, but that's how our society works right now and it's unfair to the employees to not participate. There was a fairly high end restaurant here in Portland that switched to a no tipping policy. They made it very clear that they were paying their employees a good wage and that the menu prices reflected it. They switched back after a few months. Customers didn't like it. They complained that they liked to have the ability to control how much to reward the wait staff for the level of service. There's also a psychological thing with seeing prices that are 15% higher than what's expected.

eippo1
04-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Always tip w/ liquids of choice.

Gummee
04-03-2018, 11:23 AM
There were instances in the past where I'd tip the bike shop with beer/donuts/etc in the past in appreciation for the great service/great value I received as a customer.

But at the two shops I frequent, the prices for labor/repair/service have greatly increased over the past year.

So no, I just cannot justify a $15 charge ($30 total) for changing out the brake pads for each brake.

Another shop finished a build for me and I was shocked at what they charged me. So no, I won't be going back.

And I can't blame them, I'm sure they're getting squeezed but again, it's simply not affordable.

While I can do 60%-70% of my own labor, the increase in prices have forced me to stop being lazy, teach myself the rest and buy the tools I need.

I'm sure I'll have to do resort for outside assistance but it'll be on a very piecemeal basis.
...and this is the result of trying to increase labor rates in order to pay the mechanics/staff more.

Increasing prices is a double-edged sword. Yeah, the shop can potentially make more. ...but...

M

raygunner
04-03-2018, 11:28 AM
I do not mind the per-service-item costs when you consider what they need to do: get your bike in the stand, read the ticket, asses the situation, do the work, put the bike back in storage, update the ticket, contact the customer, and ring you out when you come pick it up. That is all time and time is money.

The issue for me is the bike build-up fees as you suggest. Bike shops should move away from flat fees and charge for time and/or bike type. A local area Boston shop charges $413 for a bike build from bare frame. It is the same whether it is a mechanical rim brake road bike with external routing, a road bike with internal cable routing (which I have heard can be very time consuming), gravel bike with hydro, or a mountain bike with hydro/dropper/suspension-fork. It does not seem to make sense. A simple mechanical road bike with rim brakes can be built in 2-3 hours whereas the others can take 4-5 hours, or even more. Charge based on actual service.

For the bike I had the shop complete the build, while the price wasn't anywhere near $413, it was still too expensive.

On top of that, the level of service I received didn't warrant the price I was charged nor a tip.

For example, the levers were not even close to straight & level and upon further inspection the chain's outer/inner sides were flipped. I didn't even ask if they properly torqued everything...

Small details but I still have to vote with my pocket book.

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 11:31 AM
What’s the breaking point?

It’s not like people suddenly started servicing their own cars because car service shop rates keep increasing. And I would suggest none of us are the average bike shop service consumer because we can and will service our own bikes. The average Jane or joe goes for the shop for service. They find the most local and convenient location.

...and this is the result of trying to increase labor rates in order to pay the mechanics/staff more.

Increasing prices is a double-edged sword. Yeah, the shop can potentially make more. ...but...

M

Gummee
04-03-2018, 12:32 PM

It’s not like people suddenly started servicing their own cars because car service shop rates keep increasing. And I would suggest none of us are the average bike shop service consumer because we can and will service our own bikes. The average Jane or joe goes for the shop for service. They find the most local and convenient location.

I'll agree with that statement: the enthusiast really isn't the market for the LBS. It's the casual cyclist or the beginner cyclist that come to the shop 'most often.'

At least IME

M

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 12:54 PM
I'll agree with that statement: the enthusiast really isn't the market for the LBS. It's the casual cyclist or the beginner cyclist that come to the shop 'most often.'

At least IME

M

Too bad the higher-end studio type shops are not that well prepared to service our needs any better (see above commitment about $413 flat build fee no matter bike type).

FlashUNC
04-03-2018, 01:20 PM
I'd rather pay what the shop decides is the going rate, not make a nuisance of myself and be happy with the largely good work I get out of the transaction.

I'll drop something by during the holidays or if the crew goes above and beyond, though my first and foremost hope is the wrenches have set a labor rate that keeps a roof over their head and a decent day's wage in their pockets.

Ken Robb
04-03-2018, 04:25 PM
My office was near my favorite shop so I hung out there quite a bit and was friends with the owner and his son and several of the employees. I never tipped anyone but sometimes I'd buy lunch or snacks and sometimes they would. The owner was a terrific wrench He was very demanding of any wrench he hired and wanted them to go for advanced training at his expense. I never felt overcharged but I never felt like he wasn't charging me enough. I'm pretty sure he paid techs more than many competing shops.

joosttx
04-03-2018, 04:48 PM

High end bike shops don’t service the average customer. They service folks with high end bikes. People with high end bikes are not an average customer.

My experience is that the service department at high end bike shops are a lot friendlier when you buy bikes and other products from them. Perhaps they were put off by you when you gave them a $20 instead of dropping $12K for a bike.

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 06:31 PM
High end bike shops don’t service the average customer. They service folks with high end bikes. People with high end bikes are not an average customer.

My experience is that the service department at high end bike shops are a lot friendlier when you buy bikes and other products from them. Perhaps they were put off by you when you gave them a $20 instead of dropping $12K for a bike.

Once again maybe you should stop being a rude thread troll and get a life.

Had you actually read the thread, or even just the first post, you incredible dolt, you would know the first interaction with $20 was when I picked up my $8,000 brand new bike.

It would be really cool if you stopped being such a douche.

kppolich
04-03-2018, 06:36 PM

Had you actually read the thread, or even just the first post, you incredible dolt, you would know the first interaction with $20 was when I picked up my $8,000 brand new bike.

$20 dollar tip on a $8000 bike? Please clarify just so we are clear what is being scrutinized here. His reaction or the 0.25% tip?

NYCfixie
04-03-2018, 07:26 PM
$20 dollar tip on a $8000 bike? Please clarify just so we are clear what is being scrutinized here. His reaction or the 0.25% tip?

joosttx made an assumption that I asked a shop to buildup a bike with parts and a frame I purchased somewhere else and then the mechanic got pissy when I gave him a tip. joosttx is wrong. This is not the first time he is trolled me. He did not actually read the first post or any this thread but decided to drop into it and be nasty. As such, he is a douche.

$20 on a $413 build fee that does not go into the mechanics pocket, not to mention the $8000 that doesn't either, is a nice thank you gesture. While almost 5%, that is not really the point.

When is the last time anyone dropped a $20 on a mechanic for building up a bare frame after you also paid a build fee to the shop?

joosttx
04-03-2018, 07:45 PM
joosttx made an assumption that I asked a shop to buildup a bike with parts and a frame I purchased somewhere else and then the mechanic got pissy when I gave him a tip. joosttx is wrong. This is not the first time he is trolled me. He did not actually read the first post or any this thread but decided to drop into it and be nasty. As such, he is a douche.

$20 on a $413 build fee that does not go into the mechanics pocket, not to mention the $8000 that doesn't either, is a nice thank you gesture. While almost 5%, that is not really the point.

When is the last time anyone dropped a $20 on a mechanic for building up a bare frame after you also paid a build fee to the shop?

Not trolling here I am offering an explanation to why these two bike shops gave you the stink-eye when you tipped them. I made a mistake about the $20 and shop.

RE: The second shop, the high-end studio where you tipped them $5 to put on a stem. My experience is when you deal with a high-end studio's service department is that service is better when you buy the bike there oppose to just bring one in with a stem (I assume you did not buy the stem there). The reason is most patrons of high-end bike studios can afford to buy their components and frames there which cost a lot of money. You (Trigger Warning: criticism about you) may have been perceived as a less than ideal customer (a guy who isnt going to drop plenty of $) for a high-end bike studio by bringing in a bike and a stem and asking them to put it on. I doubt a high-end bike studio makes their money by doing small bike repairs and they sized you up as someone who probably would not spend a lot of money there. So, giving them $5 tip probably made them think that that was the case.

Here where I live, the high-end bike studios sell $15-20K bikes quite often. There are even customers who buy these bikes and forget they bought them (well, I know one example of this). My point is maybe the high-end bike studio was just snobby and did not think you were worth the business. I have seen it before in similar situations.

Blown Reek
04-03-2018, 07:58 PM
I think someone on the Paceline has a crush on someone else on the Paceline.

AngryScientist
04-03-2018, 08:00 PM
...you should stop being a rude thread troll and get a life.

...you incredible dolt,

This will not be tolerated here.

joosttx was offering his opinion, and in a manner that did not resort to childish name calling and personal attacks.

as the moderators are trying to be as transparent as possible with making this forum the best place it can be, i am putting it out publically that name calling and direct personal attacks are not allowed here.

as this is not the first warning of such behavior, a 2-week infraction time-out has been awarded.

seric
04-04-2018, 01:41 AM
p.s. is bike trip still around? i used to frequent them when i lived in s.c. many moons ago. wanna talk time warp? julie furtado used to be involved with a shop on seabright a looooong time ago, forget if she was part owner or just was involved in some way or another. that was the rumor. no idea if it's still around. i lived right down the block, what a great area back then. have heard a lot of santa cruz has gone to the crapper the past several years or so. insane housing costs as well as staggering increase in quality-of-life as well as real crimes.

Bicycle Trip is still around and seems to be going strong. Bike Station in Capitola also recently rebranded as Bicycle Trip Capitola.

The quality of life has indeed gone to hell. I believe the lack of a living wage for the local service industry plays a large part in that. The vagrancy and crime are also factors which I don't have the solutions for. After living on the west side for the past 10 years, I'm now looking to purchase a place in Soquel or Aptos in order to escape some of the issues.

Did he do the Trans Am Bike Race 2 years ago?

I raced with a Bay Area Mechanic. He and I talked bikes while he smoked and he knew his ****.

I would need to ask. The mechanic in question doesn't come off as a stoner. I only learned of his preference for the plant via conversation. Then again, I often feel that I'm one of few locals who doesn't regularly enjoy Cannabis.

dpk501
04-04-2018, 01:59 AM

Is this normal?
Am I missing something?

Dude...mechanics in Boston wants to be tipped with chowdah, cheddah and lobstah not cash. HA:)

Bruce K
04-04-2018, 04:34 AM
The one bike mechanic I trust the most works in Needham and appreciates every tip that comes his way.

Cash, beer, etc - the fact that customers appreciate what he does enough to personalize their feelings is huge.

BK

zzy
04-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Apparently some people tip in coke: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhIIiXQh6Er/

bward1028
04-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Changing a cable is a 5 minute job, assuming the housing stays in place or the frame doesn't have some wacky internal routing.

If a shop charges too much (for example charging $20 labor for a 5 minute job), people will just go elsewhere. This is for normal bike shops; high-end shops are in a better position to dictate their pricing.

Just to be clear, changing a cable on a customer bike is a lot more than 5 mins. It's not like you are taking a new bike and switching out a cable. you've got to make the bike WORK afterwards.

I usually tip when i get something extra from service. Bikeflights paid to have a bike repaired that got destroyed in shipping. Tipped a 6 pack. My old shop across the country boxed up and shipped some bikes for me way below the regular rate. Ordred them a pizza. Guy at the shop gave me some small bolts for free. threw him a couple of bucks i would have spent on them at the harware store.

bward1028
04-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately my takeaway from this thread (so far) is that I am not going to tip bike shop employees anymore. If they go above and beyond, I'll make sure to say thanks to them and let them shop manager/owner know as well.

Great. That and a couple of bucks will buy them lunch :rolleyes:

My issue is when it turns into an expectation for regular service; that is called pay and I should not have to pay the service employees salary directly. The business should raise its prices to compensate for a better salary that I am already paying via tips. It's the tip jar, that is out of control IMHO.

What do you do when you eat at a restaurant?

bward1028
04-04-2018, 05:07 PM
This will not be tolerated here.

joosttx was offering his opinion, and in a manner that did not resort to childish name calling and personal attacks.

as the moderators are trying to be as transparent as possible with making this forum the best place it can be, i am putting it out publically that name calling and direct personal attacks are not allowed here.

as this is not the first warning of such behavior, a 2-week infraction time-out has been awarded.

lol, guess i'll have to wait a few weeks for my answer.

fa63
04-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Just to be clear, changing a cable on a customer bike is a lot more than 5 mins. It's not like you are taking a new bike and switching out a cable. you've got to make the bike WORK afterwards.

I work one day a week at a shop. I am not the best mechanic, but even then I can change a cable in about 5 minutes, including the adjustment. Once you have done a bunch of times, it goes very quickly.

CiclistiCliff
04-05-2018, 12:06 AM
I work one day a week at a shop. I am not the best mechanic, but even then I can change a cable in about 5 minutes, including the adjustment. Once you have done a bunch of times, it goes very quickly.

You're telling me that in 5 minutes you:

-Greet the customer
-Talk about the issues they're having
-Put bike on the stand
-Shift through and figure out the issue
-Talk to the customer and inform them they need a new cable
-Quote the labor/parts pricing
-Walk back to the bike
-Grab a cable
-Remove old cable
-Install new cable
-Adjust derailleur - figure out why it's not shifting well if it still isn't shifting well
-Verify it shifts 100% perfect, not 90% okay
-Look over bike and make sure there is nothing that can cause the customer to come back later saying 'you guys fixed my shifting and now the brake makes noise' (apparently if a mechanic touches a bike, they're now liable for every issue that wasn't mentioned upon drop off)
-Take bike off the stand
-Give to customer
-Take payment.
-Talk a bit about bikes because you can't tell the customer 'hey, I'm busy and can't talk' because that'll start a 'Shop employees are rude' thread on some obscure bike forum.

All this while greeting other customers, making sure they know you'll be with them as soon as you're done.

So, 5 minutes huh?

For clarification's sake, I am not arguing that it can not be done, but there is more to replacing a cable than just replacing a cable. I won't even get into chasing creaks :)

CiclistiCliff
04-05-2018, 12:17 AM

Incorrect.

pdmtong
04-05-2018, 12:34 AM
I have tipped on what i thought was an under priced full build.

Regular work I don't tip.

Sometimes I will bring beer/food buy unexpectedly and randomly.

I bring something during the holidays.

cadence90
04-05-2018, 02:41 AM
The one bike mechanic I trust the most works in Needham and appreciates every tip that comes his way.

Cash, beer, etc - the fact that customers appreciate what he does enough to personalize their feelings is huge.

BK

This reads to me as the most human and humane post in this entire thread, "social protocols" etc., be damned.

Selfless and genuine appreciation of the efforts of others still appears to be a greatly diminishing interaction and exchange, unfortunately.

fa63
04-05-2018, 02:41 AM
You're telling me that in 5 minutes you:

A gentleman came in last Saturday, his bike had a frayed rear derailleur shift cable. It was 5 minutes to closing time. He showed it to me and I confirmed. I asked him if he could leave it with us; this is on Saturday and the shop is closed on Sundays. He said he had a ride tomorrow and asked if I could work on it. He was out the door right at close of business. This included a quick test ride outdoors to make sure it was shifting as well on the road as it was in the stand.

He is a regular customer so he was already in the system, which makes check-out easy. And I didn’t have to check rest of his bike because he wanted a quick fix. But you are right, typically we will go over the rest of the bike more thoroughly to make sure there is nothing else wrong which takes more time. And it is not always that straight of a fix, especially if the limits were not properly set before etc. Chasing creaks is of course a different story altogether (but it is usually NOT the bottom bracket) [emoji4]

C40_guy
04-09-2018, 11:13 AM
I picked up a bike box and used the shop's pedal wrench from Cyclevolution in Delray Beach on Thursday. I took 20+ minutes of time from one of the shop owners.

Nice shop.

Box was free (I asked if they wanted anything for it) and the use of the pedal wrench was gratis.

So I bought one of their very nice tshirts and wore it most of the weekend.

I figured it was the least I could do...

RC.
04-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Yes. Absolutely. Always.

SlowPokePete
04-09-2018, 06:23 PM
I have tipped on what i thought was an under priced full build.

Regular work I don't tip.

Sometimes I will bring beer/food buy unexpectedly and randomly.

I bring something during the holidays.

I like this.

And the pizza.

And the beer.

SPP

colker
04-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Tipping in beer is problematic imo... It´s entirely personal: i know some people may be willing to quit drinking and i would be ruining their initiative.
I like to tip. I feel good about it. It should not be mandatory but up to how you feel about it.