PDA

View Full Version : More crazy types of driving to be wary of

Veloo
03-31-2018, 12:13 PM
Looks like she does have a phone in her hand when she makes this crazy turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I3iNr1myG4

tuscanyswe
03-31-2018, 12:20 PM
Wow thats pretty scare since its completely unavoidable. This is actually part of why i dont like to stop on a bike. We have no options once we have come to a halt.

semdoug
03-31-2018, 12:48 PM
I see drivers turning like that too often here in Florida, luckily I/we haven't been hit yet. Admittedly, avoiding those types of intersections routine. Basically a sitting duck as tuscanywe suggests. On the bright side, at least she called for help.

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-31-2018, 03:04 PM
100% on the phone, screen grab shows her holding a "device."

bking
03-31-2018, 06:06 PM
Agreed, I'm always nervous sitting in an intersection.

Peter P.
03-31-2018, 06:37 PM
100% on the phone, screen grab shows her holding a "device."

Thanks for that screen grab. If you can, contact the cyclist and offer that screen grab as it's excellent evidence.

How do you play those videos at slow speed and do the screen grab, anyway?

Veloo
03-31-2018, 07:05 PM
Click on the settings icon next to CC at the lower right of the video.
The screen grab was offered up in the comments. May have just been done using the print screen key or command-shift-3 on a Mac.

Thanks for that screen grab. If you can, contact the cyclist and offer that screen grab as it's excellent evidence.

How do you play those videos at slow speed and do the screen grab, anyway?

Red Tornado
03-31-2018, 07:24 PM
Wow that's crazy! The driver took the turn way too sharp, doesn't matter if she saw him or not, she turned into the oncoming lane. I don't know how law enforcement/courts could find in anyone's favor but the rider. Distracted driving; will society ever learn?

CSKeller
03-31-2018, 09:23 PM
The stupid lady doesn't even seem to act that concerned. Maybe she is in shock about what she just did but idk. She just seems to be kinda casual when she says 'sorry' and she's 'trying to call 911'.

Damn she just plowed head-on into a cyclist and says 'she didn't see him'??!! ***?!!!!

I hope the cyclist has a speedy recovery and gets enough from that stupid person for a couple of new bikes, full medical care and even a new house!

I think if judges/courts start instilling more severe penalties for hitting pedestrians/cyclists in this country the way they do in Europe then maybe drivers will start paying attention...we can only hope!

bikinchris
03-31-2018, 10:11 PM
She is turning with no hands into an oncoming lane. She should be ready for the shock of the price tag.

donevwil
04-01-2018, 12:13 AM
Welcome to today's reality. The best part is the offending driver immediately stating "I'm sorry, I'll call 911". If that's not an admission of guilt what is. Eager to hear of the outcome.

sailorboy
04-01-2018, 05:51 AM
She should be corrected slightly; instead of "I didn't see you!" more accurate would be "I wasn't looking where I was going!" scary stuff

oldpotatoe
04-01-2018, 07:36 AM
Wow that's crazy! The driver took the turn way too sharp, doesn't matter if she saw him or not, she turned into the oncoming lane. I don't know how law enforcement/courts could find in anyone's favor but the rider. Distracted driving; will society ever learn?

Not until it either gets WAY more expensive or technology prevents cellie use in a moving car. As long as the giganto Tele-communications companies stuff congress with bribes(campaign $, lobbying$), it will NOT change. Don' expect people to stop cuz 'it's a good idea'...

oldpotatoe
04-01-2018, 07:38 AM
Looks like she does have a phone in her hand when she makes this crazy turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I3iNr1myG4

That'll be an easy one for the cops..she's on the wrong side of the double yellow line to boot. Doesn't matter if she saw him or not..hope she gets hammered. Hope he got a lawyer..BIG $ from her/her insurance company 'might' get her attention..

parris
04-01-2018, 12:09 PM
This video gave me the willies big time. A number of years ago a lady in a Jeep was on line to nail me the same way beacuse she was joking with others in her car. I'm lucky in that screaming at the top of my lungs got through and she looked out in time. This ****'s not good.

Red Tornado
04-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Not until it either gets WAY more expensive or technology prevents cellie use in a moving car. As long as the giganto Tele-communications companies stuff congress with bribes(campaign $, lobbying$), it will NOT change. Don' expect people to stop cuz 'it's a good idea'...

Unfortunately, I believe you're correct. Sad state of affairs.

endosch2
04-01-2018, 03:13 PM
I want to see this guys bike. I am curious how he mounts the radio he seems to be listening to and also I want to see how he mounted his air horn to access it so quickly.

Driver is certainly to blame but that bike must be pretty cool.

Peter P.
04-01-2018, 06:13 PM
I just remembered I had something similar happen to me, without the impact.

I was riding home from work and came up to a red light where I had to turn left.

As I approached the light, I was not in the travel lane but on the right side, near the curb, when a car dove through the apex of the corner and missed me by inches.

I remember I could see his face and the light from the cell phone he held in his left hand, as he dove through the corner.

I was luckier than the cyclist in the video.

54ny77
04-01-2018, 07:03 PM
That's one heck of a head-on. Damn.

Situational awareness: when on bike if stopping at a left turn lane like this guy, i always ALWAYS am at least 10-20' back from the front edge of the turn lane as well as hugging the right side (but not so far right that I get clipped by thru traffic going straight or turning right) out of concern for exactly what happened here: drivers cutting the inside corner while turning. I see it plenty in my daily driver (pickup truck). So many last second corrections due to attention span, it's madness out there.

Cell phones should be disabled in cars, period. All but an emergency 911 call.

it would be a godsend. Super inconvenient, yes, but a godsend in terms of lives saved and accidents avoided.

ripvanrando
04-01-2018, 07:08 PM
I would like my bike dialed up like the victim's ride but vanity prevents.

I almost bit the dust on a left hook three days ago and am still shaking so to speak. I have a stupid flashing light. She was texting. Never saw me. Too close for comfort. I think might have she underestimated my speed? Nonetheless, no excuse for her.

Tony
04-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Guy says "I'm ok, just some scrapes, nothing more" Sound like he was dying!

54ny77
04-01-2018, 10:06 PM
yeah those screams were a bit guttural. he bounces up at the end and speaks calmly.

either way, that had to have been a helluva adrenaline shot seeing that car come right at ya while moving at a good clip, and it wasn't stopping either.

Guy says "I'm ok, just some scrapes, nothing more" Sound like he was dying!

Satellite
04-02-2018, 01:16 AM
Was the hit cyclist wearing the orange vest to boot?

I had a driver sit through a turn arrow my straight line through the intersection turned green so I went. He must have realized he missed the turn arrow. So he guns it heading to the acceleration ramp for the interstate. He was on course to perfectly T-bone me in his lifted Jeep. I yelled at him and he snapped back at me like I was in his way! Thankfully I got his attention and i didn't end up under his lifted jeep. He is welcome to yell profanities at me so long as I didn't get run over. My LBS was close so I went and spent a half hour trying to get the gitters out of my system. That was my closest call in years.

unterhausen
04-02-2018, 10:04 AM
the victim posted another video from that night. Shows his bike, just lost the front wheel and got some scrapes

redir
04-02-2018, 11:05 AM
One month in jail and 5 year suspended license. Need to get tough on these crimes.