PDA

View Full Version : Anyone weightlift AND ride?

belopsky
03-31-2018, 08:41 AM
I'm getting back to weightlifting (snatch; clean & jerk).

Always sore. Weather is getting better, so more riding is going to happen.

Anyone else in this predicament?

Lanternrouge
03-31-2018, 09:15 AM
I do both. When I started working on legs, it took quite a while before I wasn't sore a lot. I still find it really easy to overdo it with weights and then pay for it with several days of being sore and not riding well. My advice would be to do less than you think you can while you are actually lifting.

belopsky
03-31-2018, 09:20 AM
I do both. When I started working on legs, it took quite a while before I wasn't sore a lot. I still find it really easy to overdo it with weights and then pay for it with several days of being sore and not riding well. My advice would be to do less than you think you can while you are actually lifting.

I've been keeping my squats volume lower due to this

ripvanrando
03-31-2018, 09:28 AM
I've been known to curl while riding but 12 oz only.

C40_guy
03-31-2018, 09:31 AM
I've been known to curl while riding but 12 oz only.

You need larger beverage bottles!

:)

dbnm
03-31-2018, 09:44 AM
I've been seeing a personal trainer every week for the last 15 months. I'm 49 years old and my body has definitely changed.

Over the last few (winter) months, we've been working on building muscle mass and I've definitely been sore for days and days. As it warms up here, we are starting to change things up and I've not been as sore for as long.

Stretching and hot baths definitely help me.

belopsky
03-31-2018, 09:46 AM
Keep it coming. I'm riding to go snatch and clean & jerk:banana:

dbnm
03-31-2018, 09:57 AM
The snatch and clean & jerk are terrific exercises if done right. It took me a few weeks to get it right but definitely helps.

fignon's barber
03-31-2018, 10:27 AM
The snatch and clean & jerk are terrific exercises if done right. It took me a few weeks to get it right but definitely helps.

Hey! This is a family channel.:banana:

juliussharpe
03-31-2018, 10:30 AM
I do kettlebell 3-4 times a week and bike the same. I sprung for one of those vibrating rollers, expensive, but really keeps you loose.

fignon's barber
03-31-2018, 10:32 AM
I'm getting back to weightlifting (snatch; clean & jerk).

Always sore. Weather is getting better, so more riding is going to happen.

Anyone else in this predicament?

I'm a hockey player. Always do weightlifting. Actually, every cyclist should do so. It's a great way to naturally increase testosterone and other hormones as we age. The key to not being sore is to establish a regular routine, use proper form, and stretch. During cycling season, lifting 2x/week is enough to maintain form.

Ralph
03-31-2018, 11:42 AM
I do 3 times week.....hardly ever miss a day. But I doubt if I do what you younger guys do, or for same reason. I do most of the basic groups.....with primary emphasis on balance.....balance of opposing muscle groups....and various exercises to strengthen muscles to help with walking in a straight line, standing on one foot, stuff like that. For arches, feet, and ankles even. Along with curls, bench pressing, quad work, etc. I follow the advice of a PT guy I went to recently. He even wants me to do elliptical machine training.

I've read where by age 76 most men like me have lost about 1/2 of their muscle strength. I think I have lost about 1/4 in ways that are easily measurable.

This may interfere with my cycling the other 3-4 days.....but not by much. And if I know I've got a especially long hard ride coming on a Sunday.....I might skip a Friday gym work out.

What I have noticed now (age 76) is to keep up with the younger guys....I push more. Don't spin as fast as I did in past. Use bigger gears....stay in big ring more. I think my VO2 max has decreased more than my leg strength (something to work on). Anyway....no matter. Just like to be out. Don't get pissed with me if I sit in on you at a fast pace, and don't take a long pull at front.

yakstone
03-31-2018, 11:49 AM
I do 5 times week.....hardly ever miss a day. But I doubt if I do what you younger guys do, or for same reason. I do most of the basic groups.....with primary emphasis on balance.....balance of opposing muscle groups....and various exercises to strengthen muscles to help with walking in a straight line, standing on one foot, stuff like that. For arches, feet, and ankles even. Along with curls, bench pressing, quad work, etc. I follow the advice of a PT guy I went to recently. He even wants me to do elliptical machine training.

I've read where by age 76 most men like me have lost about 1/2 of their muscle strength. I think I have lost about 1/4 in ways that are easily measurable.

Likewise, only I do 5 days per week. Very enjoyable "me" time. I also do yoga 3 - 4 times a week.
With the regularity of my workouts, a lot of the strength I lost through an exhausting work week is coming back. Career change helped with stress reduction too along with providing a flexible schedule that made workouts easier to get to.

03-31-2018, 12:27 PM
I do kettlebell 3-4 times a week and bike the same. I sprung for one of those vibrating rollers, expensive, but really keeps you loose.

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtcE52LKgk

03-31-2018, 12:32 PM
I've lifted for years as a necessary adjunct to track racing. To answer your question, you really have to clarify what you're trying to accomplish -- two workouts that you simply like, lifting to improve cycling, cycling to enhance aerobic capacity while focusing on lifting, addressing specific issues such as back problems or instability -- and so on.

If you're doing it seriously, it's hard to mix hard cycling and hard lifting in the same weekly schedule. Each one just limits the ability to gain maximum improvement and improve peak performance in the other. If you're increasing your lifts to your max or close to it, or riding hard, you do better shifting into weights for 4-6 weeks, then lay off on the weights for 6-8 weeks, then back again. And periodize your weights entirely so you aren't lifting during your peak riding season (again, that's if cycling is your priority). The clinical evidence is that you don't get the best results from trying to do both together, at least if you're increasing effort with both (and if you aren't, you probably don't have much reason to do the weights because lower-level lifting tends to build muscle without commensurate power).

Peter P.
03-31-2018, 06:49 PM
I don't have the equipment to perform the Olympic lifts you mention.

I have a pair of adjustable dumbells I use, and lift twice a week. For legs I'm doing lunges, and single leg squats ("step ups/downs") with an 18" stool.

Other issues have kept me from riding with any intensity, or for more than an hour, for the past 2 years. I'm now over those issues and will say that I feel the weightlifting exercises definitely helped maintain my leg strength on the bike.

The remaining exercises I perform are for general health.

As 11.4 suggested, you have to decide what your goals are in cycling and from there decide how much impact weightlifting will have on your cycling performance. Recovery from intense workouts is an issue. I recommend you read the book, Weight Lifting For Cyclists, by Eric Schmitz and Ken Doyle as it can help lay out a year-round program to integrate weights into your cycling.

dgauthier
04-01-2018, 03:25 AM
Pick up one of the classic cyclist training books such as the Cyclist's Training Bible by Joe Friel. You'll find plenty of cycling-specific weight lifting exercises, as well as training schedules to help ensure you can ride and lift without overtraining.

Peter P.
04-01-2018, 05:32 AM
Pick up one of the classic cyclist training books such as the Cyclist's Training Bible by Joe Friel. You'll find plenty of cycling-specific weight lifting exercises, as well as training schedules to help ensure you can ride and lift without overtraining.

Coincidentally or not, all the current training books in print, including Joe Friel's, follow a very similar schedule to that outlined in the book I mentioned above.

These programs all do something similar; they break down yearly weightlifting into several phases:

Transition: (Sep-Oct) Get the muscles used to weightlifting.

Hypertrophy: (Nov-Dec) Increases the intensity and volume of work to start building muscle.

Strength: (Jan-Feb) A progression of the hypertrophy phase.

Power: (March). This is the period where the OP would do their Snatches and Cleans.

Muscular Endurance: (April) This phase tapers off from the Power phase.

Maintenance (May-Sep): Retain the strength gains already made without impacting your racing.

54ny77
04-01-2018, 07:36 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.279384.1314354820!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/amd-tammy3-jpg.jpg

:eek:

belopsky
04-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Coincidentally or not, all the current training books in print, including Joe Friel's, follow a very similar schedule to that outlined in the book I mentioned above.

These programs all do something similar; they break down yearly weightlifting into several phases:

Transition: (Sep-Oct) Get the muscles used to weightlifting.

Hypertrophy: (Nov-Dec) Increases the intensity and volume of work to start building muscle.

Strength: (Jan-Feb) A progression of the hypertrophy phase.

Power: (March). This is the period where the OP would do their Snatches and Cleans.

Muscular Endurance: (April) This phase tapers off from the Power phase.

Maintenance (May-Sep): Retain the strength gains already made without impacting your racing.
Except that Snatches and cleans are very technical and someone who didn't do them all year would get 0 out of it in one month.

04-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Except that Snatches and cleans are very technical and someone who didn't do them all year would get 0 out of it in one month.

One would improve one's strength over a month but it takes a lot more lifting than that to become proficient, especially in a snatch. A clean is an excellent lift for building speed along with power that transfers to cycling. A snatch, a bit less efficient approach. But they both build general fitness if done right and if the training progression is careful. Note that while I like many of the workouts in Crossfit, the Crossfit training concept pushes the Olympic lifts on what I feel is a risky rate. I've seen more Crossfit devotees injured by Olympic lifts than by anything else. You can't lift an Olympic lift at the same weights you can powerlifting and people don't seem to realize that. One is about speed, the other about ... power.

Even Olympic-level Olympic lifters go through periodization that is often quite extreme. Really, you just need to figure out what works for you, plus decide on your goals and lift towards those.

belopsky
04-01-2018, 10:13 AM
One would improve one's strength over a month but it takes a lot more lifting than that to become proficient, especially in a snatch. A clean is an excellent lift for building speed along with power that transfers to cycling. A snatch, a bit less efficient approach. But they both build general fitness if done right and if the training progression is careful. Note that while I like many of the workouts in Crossfit, the Crossfit training concept pushes the Olympic lifts on what I feel is a risky rate. I've seen more Crossfit devotees injured by Olympic lifts than by anything else. You can't lift an Olympic lift at the same weights you can powerlifting and people don't seem to realize that. One is about speed, the other about ... power.

Even Olympic-level Olympic lifters go through periodization that is often quite extreme. Really, you just need to figure out what works for you, plus decide on your goals and lift towards those.I think we are arguing the same thing here..

John H.
04-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Weight lifting and cycling can (and should- especially for older riders) coexist.

But power lifting and performance oriented cycling not so much.

I lift 6 days per week- But I don't go too heavy or too deep. I would say that my cycling is at least semi-performance if not performance in nature.
But to get more out of either- I would have to do less of the other.

Crossfit typen workouts also might be too hard- You get some hard leg sprint/carry/jump stuff thrown at you right before a threshold bike day- bad combo.

But if you can figure out how to mix- weights and cycling are great.

93KgBike
04-02-2018, 01:21 AM
Carrying your kids through a six hour Disney-death-march is all the weight lifting anyone could ever ask for, or want.

veggieburger
04-02-2018, 09:00 AM
I do primarily light upper body weights, even through the summer. I find that through work and cycling my upper body remains very static, and I still want to be able to carry my own groceries to the car.

54ny77
04-02-2018, 09:04 AM
http://toughasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Robert_Forstermann.jpg

earlfoss
04-02-2018, 11:08 AM
I work lifting into my training routine year-round. I believe that it's helped my cycling quite a bit. I will go by feel and lift heavy or light depending on a number of factors. I believe one of the areas it's really useful is during the winter. You can't replicate the micro accelerations and high torque moments that a normal ride on the road would give you on the trainer, so working that little extra stress into the system is good. I think it helps shorten the transition/adjustment period from trainer to road riding as the seasons turn. I also run and do yoga. I think if managed properly, all of this can support a really great racing season on the bike.

mcallen
04-02-2018, 12:38 PM
I find that weightlifting through winter helps me stay healthier and avoid injurie if I progress very slowly through heavier weights and four on good form. I lift more in winter, when I would otherwise only be on the trainer. Yoga seems to help me recover. I tend to agree with 11.4 and the stuff about periodization. Realistically I know that I cannot train seriously in two disciplines and recover, so I have now transitioned to cycling much more. Here’s a link to an article that you might try:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-to-strength-train-for-cycling.html

fiamme red
04-02-2018, 12:44 PM
If you're doing lots of hard miles on the bike, don't expect any PR's in your lifts. But it's good to keep up lifting year-round for maintenance, if you don't want your form and strength to deteriorate.

When I go on a bike tour and ride 500-600 miles per week, I experience a pretty significant loss of strength when I return to the gym afterwards. It can sometimes take a month or more until I'm back lifting my former weights.