PDA

View Full Version : So good to have a riding partner who lives close by

weisan
03-30-2018, 04:30 PM
So of late, I been riding with a gentleman that I met while riding on my regular route. He's retired, I am not. He's 20 years older. Not as fast on the hills but can certainly hold his own on the flats. Happy to let me charge up the hill or do most of the driving in front. We don't plan our rides per se. I am the one who mostly initiate our rides because I got family and kids, work etc so he let me decide whenever I am available for a ride. And it can be anytime during the week. All I need to do is send him a text like 30 minutes before and if he's available and usually he is, we just meet at our regular spot and go! We will always do the same 40-mile loop. We all know the roads at the back of our hands. We know exactly where the potholes are and the what to watch out for, at what time of the day etc. We don't chat a whole lot, we mostly communicate through gestures and body language. We just meet up and do our thing, for like 3 hrs, congratulate each other on finishing up a great ride, then part ways and go on back to our normal lives. Very spontaneous. Very efficient in terms of time usage and the training effect. No fuss no muss. Very high ride/enjoyment quotient. I like it.

I like it a lot.

Ralph
03-30-2018, 05:16 PM
It's good to have a riding buddy you are compatible with. I ride 3 times a week with a couple guys like that. We go as hard as we can, but never get too far ahead of who ever is weakest that day. We look after each other on the bike. And...while we are good friends on rides, we don't really socialize other than the occasional lunch after a ride. Enjoy your rides.

veloduffer
03-30-2018, 07:03 PM
It's good to have a riding buddy you are compatible with. I ride 3 times a week with a couple guys like that. We go as hard as we can, but never get too far ahead of who ever is weakest that day. We look after each other on the bike. And...while we are good friends on rides, we don't really socialize other than the occasional lunch after a ride. Enjoy your rides.

Same here. I met my friends by helping one of them out who had a flat and ran out of CO2. We’ve been riding about a dozen years now. We socialize at night some times and occasionally get together for dinner with our spouses - always a lot of laughs.

Good riding buddies can make the miles disappear in a blur. You don’t get fixated on your computer or Strava.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter P.
03-30-2018, 08:35 PM
Sounds more like a mistress than a riding partner. ;)

rccardr
03-30-2018, 08:36 PM
Wait a minute! Are you actually Gary from up the street?

weisan
03-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Sounds more like a mistress than a riding partner. ;)

all the privileges...and none of the responsibilities.

I like it!

Tickdoc
03-30-2018, 08:58 PM
Good riding buddies are hard to find.

I used to play pool quite a bit when in college. Pickup games were always fun, and I always found myself looking for someone to play who was just a little bit better than myself. Riding is the same way. I’ve had ride buddies that are slower and faster, but haven’t found that one who is just a little bit better:)

Slower or faster , it’s all good so long as you are pedaling.

weisan
03-30-2018, 09:23 PM
haven’t found that one who is just a little bit better:)

dude, move to Austin and I guaranteed you will have a buddy that is always going to be " just a little bit better ".

wink wink.

Jere
03-31-2018, 04:49 AM
Hey

Same thing here I was at my lowest my third spine surgery 55 year old with rheumatoid arthritis.
Hundreds of races in 25 years Totally burt out with everything.
Meant this 18 year younger lady on my first group ride out side after being in a neck brace for 3 months.
She dropped 4 in shape guys on every hill but had horrible bike skills.
Well 3 years later I’m racing alttle 15 lbs lighter and like riding again.
By the way she was a Elte runner ! Now State,National and World Champion
So find some one who needs bike skills, handling,position,bike repairs.
We just did a 3 hour 50* rain ride with intervals yesterday because her next
Race could be in the rain. It’s fun to have someone to ride with that you can say this is Stupid cold wet windy do you want to ride another hour they smile and say sure.
Jere B

R3awak3n
03-31-2018, 05:23 AM
its true, a good ridding buddy is awesome. That said, I am picky, love ridding with a good friend that was my college roomate, also love ridding with ZZY here from the forum. However I have been on rides with people that I don't really enjoy so I ride alone most of the times.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2018, 07:05 AM
dude, move to Austin and I guaranteed you will have a buddy that is always going to be " just a little bit better ".

wink wink.

YUP, LA7 is in Austin, isn't he..?

thwart
03-31-2018, 10:40 AM
Yep. Gets you out to ride (and keeps you out) when most folks with any common sense are safe, warm and dry at home.

Good riding buddy and I did over 30,000 miles (he tracked miles very carefully) together from 2007 through 2012... and almost all of it at a fast-ish pace. He hurt his back, then moved from two blocks to a half hour away.

We still get together occasionally and reminisce... when he's willing to ride trails.

gforce
03-31-2018, 11:39 AM
Good riding buddy or group is key to pushing yourself and getting fitness/miles.
I am grateful that I have a couple of groups I can rely on ... if only my ski buddies were that plentiful.