PDA

View Full Version : Paging ANYONE who knows about Campy, but no one specific, just anyone

Dave B
03-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Ok, I have installed many many cranksets in my time, many of them ultra-torque ones.

I have a 68mm B.B. shell, eng threaded. I have a super record B.B. and crankset. When I install it, with wavy washer on non-drive side...the cranks do not want to spin, even when the bolt is barely tightened. I have checked the bearings, they are seated, spin great, the crankset outer bearing race (not sure what else to call it) has no rust and just for added smoothness measures I added a thin coat of grease.

The only thing unique to me is that it is a 177.5mm crank, but I cannot imagine that being the issue.

I have never seen or heard of the bb cups needing a spacer, so any advice here?

I have not found squat online, so something is funky.

HELP

Here, you can here it...which isn’t good.

https://youtu.be/fLTF0MZurIs

Mark McM
03-30-2018, 03:01 PM
I'm not Oldpotatoe, but I'll chime in anyway:

Have you checked the BB shell width? Has the BB shell been faced? If the BB shell is too wide, the bearings can bind when you tighten down the crank spindle bolt. (The raw BB shell is usually intentionally made a bit wider than 68mm, so that it will be correct width after it has been faced). If the BB shell has not been faced, not only may it be a bit too wide, but the cups may be sit slightly out of alignment. (The bearings may spin well individually, but if one of the cups is out of alignment, the bearing may get cocked when the two halves of the spindle are tightened together.)

Dave B
03-30-2018, 03:05 PM
I'm not Oldpotatoe, but I'll chime in anyway:

Have you checked the BB shell width? Has the BB shell been faced? If the BB shell is too wide, the bearings can bind when you tighten down the crank spindle bolt. (The raw BB shell is usually intentionally made a bit wider than 68mm, so that it will be correct width after it has been faced). If the BB shell has not been faced, not only may it be a bit too wide, but the cups may be sit slightly out of alignment. (The bearings may spin well individually, but if one of the cups is out of alignment, the bearing may get cocked when the two halves of the spindle are tightened together.)

Yeah measured them after taking the BB out. 68mm. It is an IF and they use the same bb width and face it. I even tried a non-super record bb and other than the seal providing some resistance, same feel.

R3awak3n
03-30-2018, 03:06 PM
if you are going to make a thread asking for the opinion of 1 member, why not just PM him?

that said... when you put each arm in, by themselves, do they spin fine?

fiamme red
03-30-2018, 03:10 PM
If Peter's PM box is full, here's his email: cp51errc@gmail.com.

Dave B
03-30-2018, 03:21 PM
if you are going to make a thread asking for the opinion of 1 member, why not just PM him?

that said... when you put each arm in, by themselves, do they spin fine?

I fixed the problem, the screw holding the cable routing plastic thing was interfering too long and not the right one for the job.

Jesus really? Thanks for the sage advice...maybe you can pm me with that next time so I can get it right.

I did pm him, then I thought hey, maybe if I put it out there some one else might have an idea. I cast a wider net so to speak.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2018, 03:22 PM
Ok, I have installed many many cranksets in my time, many of them ultra-torque ones.

I have a 68mm B.B. shell, eng threaded. I have a super record B.B. and crankset. When I install it, with wavy washer on non-drive side...the cranks do not want to spin, even when the bolt is barely tightened. I have checked the bearings, they are seated, spin great, the crankset outer bearing race (not sure what else to call it) has no rust and just for added smoothness measures I added a thin coat of grease.

The only thing unique to me is that it is a 177.5mm crank, but I cannot imagine that being the issue.

I have never seen or heard of the bb cups needing a spacer, so any advice here?

I have not found squat online, so something is funky.

HELP

Here, you can here it...which isn’t good.

https://youtu.be/fLTF0MZurIs

Have the bearings on the crank ever been changed? Must be 6mm width.

Install RH crank into cup, light tap and put clip in...turn smoothly?

LH crank on, light tap to make sure bearing all the way into cup. Cups seated in frame? All the way in, not cross threaded?

Dave B
03-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Have the bearings on the crank ever been changed? Must be 6mm width.

Install RH crank into cup, light tap and put clip in...turn smoothly?

LH crank on, light tap to make sure bearing all the way into cup. Cups seated in frame? All the way in, not cross threaded?

Thanks boss, I did do what you said then just put the drive side on the wrong side just to check. Then saw the screw interfere with the spindle.

As always, thank you.

Next time I’ll just leave it to pm, so you know I don’t waste forumite’s time.;)

R3awak3n
03-30-2018, 03:29 PM
I fixed the problem, the screw holding the cable routing plastic thing was interfering too long and not the right one for the job.

Jesus really? Thanks for the sage advice...maybe you can pm me with that next time so I can get it right.

I did pm him, then I thought hey, maybe if I put it out there some one else might have an idea. I cast a wider net so to speak.

then why not just ask the damn question... hey forum, why is my crank not working?

that said, glad its solved.

Dave B
03-30-2018, 03:48 PM
then why not just ask the damn question... hey forum, why is my crank not working?

Wow, what to say politely here.

I consider Peter one of THE Campy officinados here. After my PM to him, I thought making a thread to get his attention, he might see it.

I am not sure *** it bothers you so much, but I figured other folks might chime in and so they did. If me putting someone’s name in the title is such an annoying thing to you then please allow me to change it.

Hang on

numbskull
03-30-2018, 03:58 PM
I learned something that someday may come in handy so I'm glad you created the thread.

R3awak3n
03-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Wow, what to say politely here.

I consider Peter one of THE Campy officinados here. After my PM to him, I thought making a thread to get his attention, he might see it.

I am not sure *** it bothers you so much, but I figured other folks might chime in and so they did. If me putting someone’s name in the title is such an annoying thing to you then please allow me to change it.

Hang on

I think you think I am more bothered about this than I really am, I even replied about the problem. You are not the only one that have posted calling out 1 specific person, I just don't get it but next time I won't say a thing since it really does not add anything positive to this and seemed to almost put you in cardiac arrest

I have caused enough trouble now, I am going to sleep since its getting late on the side of the world I am currently at.

Dave B
03-30-2018, 04:12 PM
I think you think I am more bothered about this than I really am, I even replied about the problem. You are not the only one that have posted calling out 1 specific person, I just don't get it but next time I won't say a thing since it really does not add anything positive to this and seemed to almost put you in cardiac arrest

I have caused enough trouble now, I am going to sleep since its getting late on the side of the world I am currently at.

Mate, I figured you were ribbing me so I was just giving it back. No trouble, it was fun taking the piss.

Anywho, e-hugs coming your way. Oh and a banana :banana:

R3awak3n
03-30-2018, 04:15 PM
Its Friday!!! Lets all enjoy this weekend!

fignon's barber
03-30-2018, 05:15 PM
I learned something that someday may come in handy so I'm glad you created the thread.

Agreed.

thwart
03-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Over the years I’ve had a few episodes of a slightly too long cable guide screw messing with bottom bracket installation or removal... they oughta be outlawed, IMO. ;)

kramnnim
03-30-2018, 08:23 PM
I’ve seen photos of internally routed cables running on the bb spindle, wore a groove into it.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2018, 07:18 AM

First, It bothers me not at all if somebody answers anybody's question, solves any problem, even if somebody asks for mine or anybody's else's help, ..that's the idea, fix problem, go ride. But to get all twisted about how somebody asks a question..yikes man, go ride your bike. :eek:

If ya got a possible solution, send it, if you have a problem with how the ? is asked, save it..IMHO, of course. :)