PDA

View Full Version : Shimano r215 road shoes

BdaGhisallo
04-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Anyone here using the new high-end shimano road shoes? I have been a long time Sidi user but I am getting a little tired of the sloppiness in the upper and I gather the shimanos have a stiffer/sturdier upper, not to mention the stiffer carbon sole.

Can anyone offer any feedback or ideas on my plan to switch brands, fit indications and the like?

thanks

TimD
04-24-2004, 12:51 PM
I bought a pair of R150 (current model is the R151) in mid-March at a deep discount and have since put about 400 miles on them.

They fit my wide feet well, are wicked stiff, and offer plenty of adjustability having 3 straps. They aren't quite broken in yet.
Plus the carbon sole is very pretty :)

My buddies are all riding Sidi's but the non-Mega sizes I tried weren't wide enought for me. The Shimanos have plenty of room in the toe box, but not so much that my feet move around in them.

Climb01742
04-24-2004, 03:17 PM
i have shimano carbon-soled shoes, the silver ones with a rachet strap and two velcro straps. my tootsies are kinda wide and these fit really well. carbon sole is very stiff and gives a great, wide, supportive base. my only minor bitch is what the two lower straps are made of...some kind of pretty stiff plastic stuff. assume shimano choose this stuff to wear well over time. but its very stiff, so it doesn't conform to top of feet very well. sidi's, for example, use a softer strap, which seems to shape to top of foot better without digging in. shimano strap exert a bit of pressure atop the tootsies. nothing huge but a niggling thing. but 90-95% of the shoe is great. if they ever used a softer strap... :banana:

TimD
04-24-2004, 04:42 PM
I'd agree with Climb on the stiff strap bit, mine are the same way. I'm expecting them to soften up over time; we'll see.

TimD

Smiley
04-24-2004, 04:50 PM
I have switched from the Sidi Genius to the R215 and find the toe box and ventilation second to none. The toe strap is stupid stiff but I don't clamp my shoes straps tight . The shoes are very comfortable and I would make this choice again if needed be. I think Sidi's designs today are too complicated and the toe box too narrow, Plus the price is too high. My lbs matched the pricing that Total Cycling had published but I also bought $ 700 worth of goods from him at a slow period for him, pre-paid for the shoes too. Try and buy them for $ 175 about and that would be a good deal.

Climb01742
04-24-2004, 05:45 PM
i just checked on shimano's site and my shoes are last year's 214. the new 215s seem to have different straps, which may be better, meaning softer. as long as the sole is the same as the 214s, i'd recommend them very highly. good luck.