PDA

View Full Version : 35mm handlebars; who is using, who has tried and gone back to 31.8

teleguy57
03-29-2018, 11:15 PM
Trying a narrower bar (42 O-O compared to the 42 c-c I have used for a number of seasons). Previously have been running the Thomson KFC, now am trying a Deda Zero 100. So far I'm liking the Deda shape.

Wondering about going bigger and stiffer, but concerned about too stiff.

Who is using a 35mm bar/stem, and how would you describe the differences between them and what you've used previously? What do you like about them?

If you've tried them and gone back, what led you to that decision?

If anyone is able to compare alloy and carbon bars in the same model/style that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Clean39T
03-29-2018, 11:52 PM
Trying a narrower bar (42 O-O compared to the 42 c-c I have used for a number of seasons). Previously have been running the Thomson KFC, now am trying a Deda Zero 100. So far I'm liking the Deda shape.

Who is using a 35mm bar/stem, and how would you describe the differences between them and what you've used previously? What do you like about them?

If anyone is able to compare alloy and carbon bars in the same model/style that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

I owe you a PM reply - will share some thoughts tomorrow - meant to today and forgotted..

Mzilliox
03-30-2018, 12:18 AM
i have a 90mm stem and 35 bar combo if there is any interest... looks pretty

teleguy57
03-30-2018, 07:56 AM
I owe you a PM reply - will share some thoughts tomorrow - meant to today and forgotted..

No worries; the angst of deciding the sell the LDV is understandable :beer:

Clean39T
03-30-2018, 09:12 AM

Thanks!

No worries; the angst of deciding the sell the LDV is understandable :beer:

Ha ha, yes, the struggle is real!

So, I was one who got really jazzed for the bigger sized bars for a while, but I've since migrated to a different shape with more flex and really liked it.

What I liked about the 35s was the size of the tops - I've got big hands, and it spread the pressure out more. But that came at the expense of having a really, really stiff bar - which is/was fine for a crit bike, but wasn't what I was or am after for a longer-distance cruiser. I do still have a pair of 42cm alloy M35s and a 120mm stem to match, and those will likely get used on my Zank when I build it up shortly. Hard to say if they'll stay though - it may be too stiff even for a racer...

I stumbled on a bar that I really, really like though:

http://media.chainreactioncycles.com/is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod66456_Black_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505

It's the FSA K-Force Light Nano-K Compact Bar. I picked one up for $99 (minus 20% and AJ discount) from Competitive Cyclist at one point - and after trying it, bought two more off eBay from Bikewagon or some such.

It's hard to describe, but it has a flattened top to the drops that really works for my hands, plus the shaping around the shoulders and tops gives me great positions that somehow just work for me. They have a bit of give, but don't feel unstable at all, even sprinting.

I'm rolling 40cm c-t-c width on them, and as long as the few pairs I have hold up, I don't see switching bars.

Oh, and they're like 185g.

Anyway, that's my take on bars.

So now that I've ditched on the M35s - want to by my white M35 carbon 40 c-t-c pair for $50? :banana:

teleguy57
03-30-2018, 09:33 AM
What I liked about the 35s was the size of the tops - I've got big hands, and it spread the pressure out more....

It's hard to describe, but it has a flattened top to the drops that really works for my hands, plus the shaping around the shoulders and tops gives me great positions that somehow just work for me. They have a bit of give, but don't feel unstable at all, even sprinting....

So now that I've ditched on the M35s - want to by my white M35 carbon 40 c-t-c pair for $50? :banana:

The size of the tops is what I like about the Thomson's -- they keep the 31.8 farther out, and the curve at the top is wider for a nice platform for my palms. They may still go back on if I find I'm not liking the RHM 40s as well. But so far so good after two rides.

I have a set of FSA New Ergos on another bike. Same reach as the compacts you have, but a whopping 150 drops. Just a bit much for me, but I do like the overall shape and I'm a big fan of the extended drop length on FSAs as it gives me a lot more options for hands in the drops.

I did look at your M35s, but white won't cut it for me -- picky aesthetics and all that! :cool:

eBAUMANN
03-30-2018, 09:40 AM
I have both deda 35 and Thomson bars on my bikes (apparently they share the same bend) and like em both, the larger diameter bar top is nice if you have larger hands.

Couple annoying things about 35mm:
- finding a computer mount (might be easier these days)
- almost required to leave tops unwrapped, as bar tape will sometimes not be long enough to wrap the entire bar (depending on width)

newellbt
03-30-2018, 09:42 AM
after riding 35mm I had to step back down to 31.8mm. After a few weeks I went back to 26.0mm and I think I have found my home.

Kirk007
03-30-2018, 09:48 AM
I just took some deda 35s off my Hampsten, mainly cause I like the FSA compact shape, which is virtually identical but a tiny bit longer (and maybe angled out a bit more) than the Dedas. Loved the feel though, particularly the tops and didn't find them overly stiff at all. They also wrapped really nice with Handebra leather wrap if you want a full bar wrap.

Anyway they're black, 42s, sitting here if you get a hankering to try them I would likely sell them (and 120mm stem), although I liked them enough that I don't mind having them sitting around in case I want to give them another go.

teleguy57
03-30-2018, 11:28 AM
I have both deda 35 and Thomson bars on my bikes (apparently they share the same bend) and like em both, the larger diameter bar top is nice if you have larger hands.

Couple annoying things about 35mm:
- finding a computer mount (might be easier these days)
- almost required to leave tops unwrapped, as bar tape will sometimes not be long enough to wrap the entire bar (depending on width)

Interested in any differences in road feel you have noticed. I do like the larger size for my hands. I run thicker tape even on the larger Thomson straight sections and I like having something substantial to hang on to.

By spec my Thomsons have about 4mm more drop (although it looks like more when I hold them side by side) and 3mm more reach (kinda decimal dust when you factor in the curve). I do find the drops a bit longer on them as well.

Looks like K-Edge now makes a nice Garmin mount for 35mm.

I just took some deda 35s off my Hampsten, mainly cause I like the FSA compact shape, which is virtually identical but a tiny bit longer (and maybe angled out a bit more) than the Dedas. Loved the feel though, particularly the tops and didn't find them overly stiff at all. They also wrapped really nice with Handebra leather wrap if you want a full bar wrap.

Anyway they're black, 42s, sitting here if you get a hankering to try them I would likely sell them (and 120mm stem), although I liked them enough that I don't mind having them sitting around in case I want to give them another go.

FSAs by spec have 5mm more reach and a few mm less drop than the Deda (from what I've been able to find the Zero 100 and Trentacinque have the same RHM shape). Yes, I do like the longer drop and slight flare on FSAs...

Have to think about your offer.... if I do I'll PM you. Thanks!

dddd
03-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Informative thread here.
My (bought crashed) Colnago CX-Zero came with the Deda (lol, spell-check changed it to "Dead") alloy TrentaCinque 35mm setup and I had assumed the tops were fat because the previous owner had double-wrapped there. But now I know otherwise.
Other than the fat tops, I haven't noticed anything unusual about this setup at all.
I believe that the fatter clamp is less likely to ever slip, not that I have ever had even a 31.8mm clamp slip on me. But I have bought bikes with 25.8/26.0 bars that were prone to slippage, possibly because a previous owner at some point didn't torque the clamp properly and the bars became distorted out of round(?).
Here's the 'Nago as-purchased. I had to make a new derailer hanger for it since the damaged one was proprietary, expensive and unavailable locally.
I have since changed out just the stem for a 110mm after searching for weeks, finally found one for $50 (used) on Ebay. The 35mm size stems seem quite extraspensive if bought new. Anyway, I'm about $1100 into it at this point and it rides (handling especially) very well.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4287/35780405276_d2f1fe7afb_c.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4430/35548774213_e3f321f070_c.jpg

cgolvin
03-30-2018, 03:21 PM

Clean, I'd snatch those up in a heartbeat except that, as dddd said, it's damned hard to find an accompanying 110 stem that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

If anyone's holding one of those let me know and I'll you & Clean a solid.

Clean39T
03-30-2018, 04:07 PM
after riding 35mm I had to step back down to 31.8mm. After a few weeks I went back to 26.0mm and I think I have found my home.

25.4mm is waiting for you... :banana: