PDA

View Full Version : CAAD 10 vs C50

booglebug
03-29-2018, 10:45 PM
Performance wise with same components and wheels which would you choose for a 10000 ft century ride. I understand the carbon may be more comfortable but climbing 15% for a length of time, which bike would be a better performer. Have only ridden Ti and steel on these rides I’m a noob with these frame materials and am lost with all I read on these two frames. Would like to hear from those who have actually ridden these two frames.

BobbyJones
03-29-2018, 11:28 PM
I think it really all comes down to if you plan on riding with one water bottle or two. Well, that and if you're running valve caps on your tubes.

mistermo
03-30-2018, 05:20 AM
I own both. I'd be hard pressed to choose. I wouldn't transfer componentry around because one was better. Maybe pick the one with the taller stack?

GregL
03-30-2018, 05:52 AM
Frame material is immaterial. A ride with 10K ft. of climbing likely has 10K ft. of descending (assuming same start and finish location). Which bike do you feel more comfortable descending on? That factor would definitely play into my choice.

Greg

R3awak3n
03-30-2018, 06:10 AM
Having never had either, I do now have a carbon bike and did have a alum bike (spooky), I would pick the caad over the c50.

However for that money I would pick a used parlee. My z5 is amazing and I got it mint for about what a used c50 goes for. I am not hating on the c50 I am sure its a nice bike but too much $$$ for its age, also I do not like how the diamond stays look.

Ralph
03-30-2018, 06:11 AM
I have a CAAD 10 I ride a lot. Also a custom steel frame with Enve fork I ride a lot. Wouldn't say one rides better than the other.....mostly depends on which wheels, tires, and air pressure I'm using. Don't know about a C50. All I can say is the CAAD 10 frame does not ride like you might think an aluminum frame rides. Mine is very stable at all speeds for me. Can be set up very light. Imagine a CAAD 12 is great also (or better).

Although I'm 76, and 5' 10", I still try to ride with fast younger groups. So I ride a 54 CAAD 10 with about 3" of drop. If I lived in the mountains.....would probably ride a 56 to get bars a little higher. Would probably ride 42CM bars instead of the 40's I use here. Wish they had a 55 CM frame....the way they measure size.

I think the main problem with the CAADS is they don't cost enough. Don't have the image. it's hard to believe they can compare so favorable and be this good for so little money (my frame was $590 new shipped on E Bay....notice new CAAD 12's similar). A lot of the answer to your question is how you set them up and what size frame you choose for your body size.

CAADS are kind of industrial looking......bothers some.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2018, 06:39 AM
Performance wise with same components and wheels which would you choose for a 10000 ft century ride. I understand the carbon may be more comfortable but climbing 15% for a length of time, which bike would be a better performer. Have only ridden Ti and steel on these rides I’m a noob with these frame materials and am lost with all I read on these two frames. Would like to hear from those who have actually ridden these two frames.

C50 cuz it has an Italian threaded BB......it's far superior...

:)

booglebug
03-30-2018, 08:02 AM
I think it really all comes down to if you plan on riding with one water bottle or two. Well, that and if you're running valve caps on your tubes.

Not really talking weight, I could stand to loose a bike off my mid-section

bking
03-30-2018, 04:11 PM
I too have both bikes, and it would be about other things attached--wheels and gears and such, that would make me decide. Either one could make the trip.

54ny77
03-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Modern CAAD's really are awesome bikes. With a good set of wheels, I'd put it on par in terms of overall ride feel with pretty much anything I own other than an Ottrott, which is just dreamy.

Ironically, I happen to have just sold my CAAD9 to a fellow forum member, and will miss it. In all likelihood, I will get another one eventually. My favorite has always been the CAAD9's with clear coated brushed aluminum finish. Searched far & wide years ago for a n.o.s. frame like that, but no luck. Did luck out though with a gorgeous white one at the time, also from a forum member. Plus the 9's are the last of the U.S. made bikes, which I like.

The newer CAADs are a little more bulbous in the head tube area, I prefer the look of the 9 generation.

fignon's barber
03-30-2018, 05:26 PM
I too have both bikes, and it would be about other things attached--wheels and gears and such, that would make me decide. Either one could make the trip.

If you're concerned about the climbing,which one's geometry is more comfortable to you when climbing? ride that one.

ultraman6970
03-30-2018, 07:10 PM
U beat me to it! :/

C50 cuz it has an Italian threaded BB......it's far superior...
:)

Kirk007
03-30-2018, 07:41 PM
Haven''t had an aluminum Cannondale for a long time. But I do have a C50 along with steel, carbon and ti.

Here''s what I like about the C50: it is an all day long forget about it bike. Seems to drive itself with very stable and intuitive steering. It goes down hill as well as any bike I've ridden.

Maybe my closest comparison for you would be the C50 vs. Peg Marcelo. For that long of a ride I would take the C50.

booglebug
03-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies but need to clarify. Have just picked up a CAAD 10 frame that is not yet built up and have been eyeing a C50 in the classifieds so I have no experience with either. Kinda been looking for a C59 but even used they are still pricey so my question comes from no experience with either frame. Just sold two bikes so I think the rule is to replace three?

mistermo
03-31-2018, 01:58 AM
Haven''t had an aluminum Cannondale for a long time. But I do have a C50 along with steel, carbon and ti.

Here''s what I like about the C50: it is an all day long forget about it bike. Seems to drive itself with very stable and intuitive steering. It goes down hill as well as any bike I've ridden.

Maybe my closest comparison for you would be the C50 vs. Peg Marcelo. For that long of a ride I would take the C50.

I have a Peg Marcelo too, as well as the C50. Yes, C50 for this ride is a no-brainer. Even the CAAD10 is a better choice than the Peg for a hilly, 100 mile ride.

m4rk540
03-31-2018, 02:08 AM
Lose 15 pounds and take the CAAD10.

rain dogs
03-31-2018, 03:25 AM
100miles with 10000' is no small ride, and if the only thing that is top of mind is which of two very capable bikes you should ride, then you're in a good place and well prepared.

I would ride the bike that you know more, and are most comfortable on of the two. If it's neither, then ride your other bike. Changing equipment isn't the end of the world, but it's more a recipe for added complication than it is some mind-boggling gain in performance.

Manage your preparation, your fueling and pay attention to your gearing. I don't know which circle of hell you've found to be riding 15% grades for "a length of time", considering most road climbs in the world don't average over 10% (or even close to) and it's tough to find a single km that averages 15% on the vast majority, but in any case, you'll suffer like a dog on both bikes on those grades and your fitness is going to matter 10 fold over the difference between a CAAD10 and a C50 especially if a 'length of time' is in fact more than a minute or two or five.

OK... between and C50 and a mountain bike you might notice things, but...

I have a CAAD10 btw and would not think twice about using it for any reason.

booglebug
03-31-2018, 08:07 AM
Maybe should have said 14%, the last 4 miles of Mountains of Misery is 12-16%

rain dogs
03-31-2018, 12:47 PM
Isn't this the climb?

https://www.strava.com/segments/659554

It does look like a challenging climb, it averages 6% and the final 6km (3,72 miles) average about 8,8%. Final km 12,3%. Elevation is also quite low at 525-1100m, so altitude effects are not going to be a factor. Again, it is tough, I'm not trying to belittle the climb. But all those details make a big difference.

So there is an equipment/gearing consideration that is appropriate for the climb itself and it's important to know the numbers, and that's in part what you were asking.

The faster guys are doing it at nearly 20km/h (which is a 3min/km pace... or 18 minutes of climbing that last steeper bit). Half that speed and you're looking at 36 minutes, on a day that might take you what? Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 7-8 hours running time?

So, it's a climb that will be very tough at the end of the day, but I'd prepare to muscle through it. It's (likely) not going to break you at the end of the day unless you arrive under fed/hydrated or over-geared.

Ride the bike of the two you're more comfortable on. Choose the right gears for you and those slopes (pre-ride the climb if you can). Eat well, Hydrate well, pace yourself and you'll be fine. Enjoy your finish line beer! :beer:

Don't worry about the frame/fork (on a climb like that) there will be no difference.

booglebug
03-31-2018, 02:53 PM
Isn't this the climb?

https://www.strava.com/segments/659554

It does look like a challenging climb, it averages 6% and the final 6km (3,72 miles) average about 8,8%. Final km 12,3%. Elevation is also quite low at 525-1100m, so altitude effects are not going to be a factor. Again, it is tough, I'm not trying to belittle the climb. But all those details make a big difference.

So there is an equipment/gearing consideration that is appropriate for the climb itself and it's important to know the numbers, and that's in part what you were asking.

The faster guys are doing it at nearly 20km/h (which is a 3min/km pace... or 18 minutes of climbing that last steeper bit). Half that speed and you're looking at 36 minutes, on a day that might take you what? Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 7-8 hours running time?

So, it's a climb that will be very tough at the end of the day, but I'd prepare to muscle through it. It's (likely) not going to break you at the end of the day unless you arrive under fed/hydrated or over-geared.

Ride the bike of the two you're more comfortable on. Choose the right gears for you and those slopes (pre-ride the climb if you can). Eat well, Hydrate well, pace yourself and you'll be fine. Enjoy your finish line beer! :beer:

Don't worry about the frame/fork (on a climb like that) there will be no difference.

Thanks for the actual numbers, guess I misunderstood what I read, must have meant sections of 12/16% but have done this ride once and this climb at the end is brutal, harder than 6gap for me. Have purchased a CAAD 10 frame to build up so gonna give it a try. Thanks for the reply’s.

booglebug
03-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Lose 15 pounds and take the CAAD10.

This is my goal

cv1966
03-31-2018, 04:22 PM
Ride the one that fits better