PDA

View Full Version : Getting my bike across country..

shinomaster
10-11-2006, 05:29 PM
How should I do it? It looks like I'm gonna go see my mom and cousin and dad for Thanksgiving, which is great because I haven't been with my parents for that non Hallmark holiday since 1998 imho.
I am fantasizing with the idea of taking back my Fuji cross turtle for a race with my friends at Plymouth. What could be better? My parents would take me and cheer me on, and then buy me dinner...and a pint.
1) sould I ship it UPS?
2) should I take it in a bike box on the plane? ( my Atlanta got damaged moving out to Portland this way) (but this is only my cross bike)
3) can I rent a bike case in Portland?

I'll probably fly Nortwest.

Thanks!

xxoo

Shinomaster

atmo
10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
How should I do it?
go for it (http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/) atmo

shinomaster
10-11-2006, 05:41 PM
ATMOissimo, by the time I rode to Boston on my cross bike with the Michelin mud tires It would be 2007, and I would miss everything.. :confused:

bcm119
10-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I'd go with FedEx Ground if you have a decent bike box. I have a Colorado cyclist case- $99- thats lasted for over 6 years, shipping cross country once a year or so. I used to bring it on the plane but it seems they all charge you now... last time Delta charged me $80 each way... and once you're at the ticket counter theres nothing you can do. Fok that. FedEx Ground is usually about $35, and it takes 4-5 days.

Louis
10-11-2006, 11:37 PM
I'd go with FedEx Ground if you have a decent bike box.

If you go this route be sure to pack it well such that the frame will not slide around. Last year for the GdB I sent my DeRosa up to Bozeman in my Trico Iron Case. FedEx managed to drop it in such a manner that the big chain ring is now bent. Haven't changed it yet because it is still ridable and Campy rings are apparently made of platinum, or are at least priced as if they are...

I checked, and in order to get FedEx to pay I would have had to prove that they were the ones who did it, and of course there was no way I could do that. I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.

Louis

vaxn8r
10-12-2006, 12:00 AM
2 sad shipping tales:

1) My buddy sent his bike out to Oregon UPS. It showed up 6 weeks after the trip was over. Oops.

2) Riding partner shipped his bike out from Colorado. Merlin EL. Came in with a dent in the down tube.

I suppose the airlines can lose a bike now and then but not likely. I get charged about 1/2 the time to bring my bike case which makes it about $50 each way.

My hard shell case is about 10 years old and looks beat up but protects the bikes and wheels from anything short of a bomb.

Elefantino
10-12-2006, 01:53 AM
It's not a bike, it's "Sports Equipment" and a $20 to most skycaps will get your bike on the plane, free-free.

Works.

shinomaster
10-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Skycaps?

William
10-12-2006, 05:20 AM
It's not a bike, it's "Sports Equipment" and a $20 to most skycaps will get your bike on the plane, free-free.

Works.

Ditto. The guys at the curb in front of the terminal that work for the airline you are flying on. They check it in, slip them a few green backs, and it's on it's way.

I rented a hard case a number of times from a local shop when I would fly back East to visit family. Peak specifically. bcm knows of whom I speak.

William

tomwd3
10-12-2006, 08:08 AM
If you do decide to go the UPS route, consider putting a very high insurance amount on the case.
UPS charges $0.35 per $100 of coverage. If you insure the box for $5000.00
then the driver is personally resposible for that package. (our driver who does the daily pickup always pays extra attention when one of these goes out!)
The 5K of insurance would run you an additonal $17.50.
May or may not be worth it to you, but you can bet on the fact that UPS isn't
gonna mis-place a $5000 package.

OldDog
10-12-2006, 08:18 AM
If you do decide to go the UPS route, consider putting a very high insurance amount on the case.
then the driver is personally resposible for that package. (our driver who does the daily pickup always pays extra attention when one of these goes out!)

and no one should have to live with a damaged frame.

znfdl
10-12-2006, 09:00 AM
shino:

If you fly United, they are partnered with USCF. If you get a racing license (I think that you have one) you can get United Bike Vouchers from USCF.

bocarider
10-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Check out George Farnsworth's excellent site on travel with bikes:

http://www.gfarnsworth.com/BikeAccess/default.cfm?

I have learned a lot about travelling with my bikes and have put up a number of posts on that site.

PBWrench
10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
I have had very good experience with Fed Ex ground and air in my Trico case and would recommend that over dealing with TSA/airport where you will likely not be able to repack personally.

shinomaster
10-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the great info. I may look into borrowing a bike when I get there, getting my bike there for one race seems expensive and a headache.

coylifut
10-12-2006, 11:07 AM
the problem with flipping the sky-cap a $20 and calling it "sporting equipment" is if it gets damaged, the airline won't pay because you didn't properly declare it. trust me on this one. i worked for an airline for 10 years. the odds are with a hard case it won't get damaged, but i've seen the stoutest cases destroyed and come open. tomwd3's advice is on the nose. go with it.

vaxn8r
10-12-2006, 11:30 AM

Works.
I have another friend who was taking his bike to Alaska.

"What's in the box?"

"Oh, it's my expedition equipment."

"Well, it's as big as a bike. That'll be $100."

vaxn8r
10-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Not true. They may be super motivated to find the bike once it's lost, but no guarantees they don't lose it and then you are screwed on your trip. The insurance doesn't pay a dime if they find it 7 weeks after you get home.

coylifut
10-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Not true. They may be super motivated to find the bike once it's lost, but no guarantees they don't lose it and then you are screwed on your trip. The insurance doesn't pay a dime if they find it 7 weeks after you get home.

Vax. What's your solution?

thejen12
10-12-2006, 01:52 PM
I have used Fed EX ground with no ill results. Give it at least a week to get there. It's cheaper than UPS, too.

Jenn

alancw3
10-12-2006, 06:26 PM
with all the damage happening to bikes that are shipped nowadays i think i am going to look into a quality rental in the area i am visiting. then i can just take my shoes, pedals and gloves and even a seat maybe. i am even willing to stop at a target or walmart and buy a $15 throw away helmet for a week. i have shipped bikes for years but have noticed the past two or three years now the boxes are smahed crushed and abused. i consider myself lucky to this point and if i do ship again i will try fedex.

Lincoln
10-12-2006, 07:13 PM
the problem with flipping the sky-cap a $20 and calling it "sporting equipment" is if it gets damaged, the airline won't pay because you didn't properly declare it. trust me on this one. i worked for an airline for 10 years. the odds are with a hard case it won't get damaged, but i've seen the stoutest cases destroyed and come open. tomwd3's advice is on the nose. go with it.

Actually the last time I airlined a bike as a bike they not only charged me extra (more than they would have anything else of the same weight and size) but also made me sign a liability waiver. Also, calling it sporting equipment isn't a mis-declaration, it is sporting equipment.

shinomaster
10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Airlines are all different. When I moved her I had my Atlanta packed up in a bike box. I think I flew Delta...but I could be wrong as this was in 1999. My fork got damaged. Luckily I purchased insurance for the bike for $2000. When I called to complain that my fork was bent they said sorry we don't insure boxes. They insure luggage but not boxes. I was irate.
The manager guy I later delt with was super cool and helpful when I showed him my reciept for the insurance I paid for, he laughed and and said I certainly did pay for insurance. He eventually cut me a check for a new fork. It was a headache..
My cousin has a Voodoo cross bike in Boston...we are practically twins so I'll use his bike if I can get adjusted to 175mm cranks.