PDA

View Full Version : Alpe du Zwift

katematt
03-29-2018, 08:44 AM
It's opening day for those interested.

With a smart trainer it's brutal and takes a while. 77 minutes 7.5 miles 8.3% avg grade.

Needless to say I was late for work this morning.

Enjoy!!

kramnnim
03-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Level 15 and up?

katematt
03-29-2018, 11:29 AM
I believe it's level 12 and up. You access it from the Jungle Loop which I've learned is also earned through higher levels.

cinco
03-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Man! I'm missing out. Have got to get on the Zwift train.

makoti
03-29-2018, 02:14 PM
It's opening day for those interested.

With a smart trainer it's brutal and takes a while. 77 minutes 7.5 miles 8.3% avg grade.

Needless to say I was late for work this morning.

Enjoy!!

What, you didn't do the 4 horseman 55 miler that includes the Alps? Work can wait!

katematt
03-29-2018, 02:17 PM
What, you didn't do the 4 horseman 55 miler that includes the Alps? Work can wait!

Hah - I went into this one totally ignorant as to length and grade, but once I started was determined to finish. Got to work and my right leg cramped on a phone call.

I'll have to build for four horseman.

yashcha
03-29-2018, 05:03 PM
I believe it's level 12 and up. You access it from the Jungle Loop which I've learned is also earned through higher levels.

I see. So it does not appear as “alpe de zwift” when I am oicking courses?

makoti
03-29-2018, 06:00 PM
I see. So it does not appear as “alpe de zwift” when I am oicking courses?

No, it's "Road to the Sky" or something like that. "Fire & Ice" is another, longer (by 3 miles) version. It's also included in the "4 Horsemen" route.

yashcha
03-29-2018, 06:12 PM
No, it's "Road to the Sky" or something like that. "Fire & Ice" is another, longer (by 3 miles) version. It's also included in the "4 Horsemen" route.

I will wake up early saturday morning to enjoy this.

gone
04-02-2018, 03:00 PM
The Alpe du Zwift is a turn off of the "Road to Ruins" route.

69:20 of pure suffering.

earlfoss
04-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Hopefully it replaces the London course! I hate that one real bad.

gone
04-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Hopefully it replaces the London course! I hate that one real bad.

It's an extension off of the existing Watopia course. I think that one is generally the most popular as they keep enhancing it, first with the volcano loop then Road to Ruins and now Alpe du Zwift.

My least fave is the Richmond course. I don't mind the London one so much, esp. the Box Hill/Fox Hill climbs. The stuff in central London is a bit boring though.

ceolwulf
04-02-2018, 06:10 PM
London is way better (i.e. not as terrible) now that they added more rural routes.

Did the Alpe yesterday and it's definitely big. Very cool.

I should probably turn my trainer difficulty up some more ...

ergott
04-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Having the trainer on max so I realize if I ever get to France, I want at least a 28 back there (53/39). 32 for multiple climbs for sure!

sparky33
04-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Looking forward to Alp du Zwift. I’m only Level 9 and counting, so I’ll sneak onto the new climb in the 3rd Stage of the ongoing Tour of Watopia. ....That a virtual route like the Four Horsemen exists is awesome.

fwiw London has grown on me especially as a setting for big w/kg group rides.

gone
04-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Having the trainer on max so I realize if I ever get to France, I want at least a 28 back there (53/39). 32 for multiple climbs for sure!
Yeah, I've got an 11x25 on my trainer and I definitely wanted another gear when I hit some of the ramps toward the end.

yashcha
04-02-2018, 07:56 PM
I like how some guys on Zwift have climbed Le Alpe faster than Marco Pantani at Hematocrit 49.99.

gone
04-02-2018, 08:38 PM
I like how some guys on Zwift have climbed Le Alpe faster than Marco Pantani at Hematocrit 49.99.
Yeah I saw that. I wonder how closely the profile of Alpe du Zwift matches Alpe d'Huez.

Even if it's not a precise match, it's still hard to believe people can go up it in 36 minutes. I suspect there was some amount of weight doctoring going on (gosh, maybe if I can get my weight down to 56 lbs I can go up that fast too!).

kramnnim
04-02-2018, 09:06 PM
The Zwift climb replicates the shorter “tourist” AdH route, not the full one the pros do.

carpediemracing
04-02-2018, 09:14 PM
You guys are all way fast. Took me 115 minutes, so 1:55 to get up the thing. Over 2.5 hours to do the shortest route that goes up the thing.

Someone that Zwifts lives near the actual L'Alpe D'Huez, does the real thing all the time, and said that it's easier than the real thing, based on his power outputs.

jruhlen1980
04-03-2018, 11:51 AM
Took me an hour and a half. Most climbs where I live are less than a mile so this is the only way I can practice mountain climbing. It was pretty cool.

Zwift "cheating" is rampant but I really don't use it for the social aspect, I use it for the interactive feel of actual terrain changes. I would never spend 2+ hours on my trainer otherwise.

93KgBike
04-03-2018, 12:05 PM
Took me an hour and a half. Most climbs where I live are less than a mile so this is the only way I can practice mountain climbing. It was pretty cool.

Zwift "cheating" is rampant but I really don't use it for the social aspect, I use it for the interactive feel of actual terrain changes. I would never spend 2+ hours on my trainer otherwise.

At 90kg, it takes me 75mins, keeping HR below 160bpm.

I used to go over-the-mountain-and-back-again pretty much every ride, so this is a great addition for me here in Flatlandia.

I have had the simulated effort at 100% since I joined, except for a few injury weeks, and never have the ability to be social.

I just can't type at 95rpm or with my HR above 160. I do give a lot of ride-ons after the ride, however.

Hamfist
04-03-2018, 01:44 PM
I rode it a couple of days ago. I wasn't planning on doing the whole thing...just the first couple of corners then bail out. Thinking this I did the other big 'hill' before and then hit the Alpe. Didn't really go hard until the first corner then realized that I had no reason not to. Did it in 50 min flat and stopped to eat a granola bar mid-way so maybe a a min or so faster. But I would have to agree; the quickest time when I did it was 44 minutes. That's fast. Not saying those guys aren't out there but that's a lot of watts for a long time.

SpeedyChix
04-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Borrowed the crank from my bike for another project so have been "zwiftless". Time to fix that!

spookyload
04-04-2018, 03:28 AM
The Zwift climb replicates the shorter “tourist” AdH route, not the full one the pros do.

Having ridden the actual climb, not sure what you mean by the tourist route. I rode it the day after Pierre Rolland beat Conti up in 2011, and the finish sign was still up. Once you hit the village at the top, there is a couple more turns, but no significant climbing. Does the tourist finish end near the cafes and not go to the resort?

For hose who feel Alpe du Zwift is hard, pray they never do the steep side of Gallibier. It is far more brutal, just not as scenic. I am guessing they will clone Ventoux next. Again...far more brutal than Alpe du Huez.

kramnnim
04-04-2018, 06:52 AM
Having ridden the actual climb, not sure what you mean by the tourist route. I rode it the day after Pierre Rolland beat Conti up in 2011, and the finish sign was still up. Once you hit the village at the top, there is a couple more turns, but no significant climbing. Does the tourist finish end near the cafes and not go to the resort?

It ends at/before the tourism office, before the tunnel. The normal pro finish goes under the tunnel, through some roundabouts.

https://www.strava.com/activities/353742291#8419571292

Segment ends near the tourist finish...ride ends at the pro finish

pmac
04-04-2018, 09:46 AM
For hose who feel Alpe du Zwift is hard, pray they never do the steep side of Gallibier. It is far more brutal, just not as scenic. I am guessing they will clone Ventoux next. Again...far more brutal than Alpe du Huez.

It's interesting how we all have our own perspectives on these things. I'm not sure whether the Telegraphe side or the Lautaret side of Galibier is the steep one, but I'd rate either as far more scenic and more enjoyable than Alpe d'Huez, despite being harder. For brutality, I'm sure there are worse, but the Mortirolo was, for me, much, much harder than Alpe d'Huez.

ergott
04-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Mt. Washington right here is the US of A (New Hampshire) on an indoor trainer would crush more than a few souls. Provided they use a trainer that can even match those grades and have their setting to Max!

ceolwulf
04-04-2018, 06:15 PM
Mt. Washington right here is the US of A (New Hampshire) on an indoor trainer would crush more than a few souls. Provided they use a trainer that can even match those grades and have their setting to Max!

That's the thing, for most people the trainer will be the limit. Mine only goes to 8% so they could put Angliru in there and I wouldn't notice a difference. Just go slower.

Johnnysmooth
04-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Hah - I went into this one totally ignorant as to length and grade, but once I started was determined to finish. Got to work and my right leg cramped on a phone call.

I'll have to build for four horseman.

Well, at least you finished it. I stumbled on to it yesterday just taking that new left on way to ruins. Man, what a surprise that was.

With snow in forecast for Boston, not on road soon so will try again though usually by this time I put Swift into stasis and hit the road (or woods)

Johnnysmooth
04-05-2018, 11:56 AM
It's interesting how we all have our own perspectives on these things. I'm not sure whether the Telegraphe side or the Lautaret side of Galibier is the steep one, but I'd rate either as far more scenic and more enjoyable than Alpe d'Huez, despite being harder. For brutality, I'm sure there are worse, but the Mortirolo was, for me, much, much harder than Alpe d'Huez.

Have not risen AdH but have tackled Mortirolo, which is just plain cruel - it just never lets up. AdH may be closer to Stelvio, which while very long, is manageable

As for my Zwift ride, 53x39 and 11x25 with trainer on max was not wise

93KgBike
04-05-2018, 12:22 PM
53/39 11-27 isn't hard when I'm fresh, but no way would I try 25 unless it was 32/25! Can't really imagine building a 50/32 11/25 setup, because it doesn't make sense.

Went up 4 times this week and lost ~7% on 2nd and 3rd, but 20% on 4th climb.

I hadn't thought about the smart trainer's capacities to simulate gradient. Mine goes to 25% and I keep the sim. setting at 100%.

That makes me feel ALOT better about my RPMs falling into low 60's and just grinding it out.

Maybe I'm not quite over-the-hill just yet. ;)

DreamInColor
04-05-2018, 04:26 PM

Even more so if they could simulate the wind up there. I hiked Mt. Washington years ago and was nearly blown off the mountain!

jb_11
04-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Isn't that one of the points of the difficulty slider? So you can change your effective gear ratio without having to invest or change out cassettes and chain rings?

ergott
04-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Isn't that one of the points of the difficulty slider? So you can change your effective gear ratio without having to invest or change out cassettes and chain rings?

Yes. Although the sensation of grinding out at 100% will feel more realistic if you want to practice climbing like that.

It's all personal preference. In the end the watts are what matters, not how you get them.

93KgBike
04-05-2018, 07:28 PM

Perhaps?

Using that slider changes the slope of a climb, which I assume is to accommodate trainer limits. So a 20% grade ridden at 50% difficulty
becomes a 10% grade for twice the length.

One could also lower the rider weight setting (separately or in conjunction) to change the simulated effort, but neither really simulates changing the gear ratios on the bike, which remain set by the bike-setup.

And then ERG mode allows further setup simulations in combination with weight changes.

The road-feel simulation includes traction simulation on the tower climb for example, and generates wheel-slip.

I switch cassettes so I can ride campy vs shimano. It really doesn't take very long, like less than 5 minutes.

onekgguy
04-05-2018, 08:33 PM
I don't know how AdZ compares to AdH but I find the ride a very fun challenge on my CompuTrainer. There aren't any downhills for recovery and really nowhere to hide on the climb as there are on other climbs.

I enjoy the challenge of pushing others up the climbs and having them push me.

Some people take things to a whole other level tho and make asses of themselves (http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/youre-disservice-cycling-strava-thread-gets-completely-hand-ride-takes-zwift-kom-375231).

Kevin g

onekgguy
04-06-2018, 12:48 AM
This is some pretty cool viewing:

https://youtu.be/HBbQTnAOt4M

Kevin g

LesMiner
04-06-2018, 10:51 AM
That is a pretty cool video onekgguy! I did AdZ yesterday and it was very difficult. I found when the grade changes to under 8% it feels so much easier! There are a few semi flat spots but they don't last long. I am not a pro or a racer just recreational rider. It took me about 80 minutes at 196 watt average.

dieonthishill
04-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Did the climb yesterday. Really nice addition to the Zwift environment.

52:00. Not bad for being 10lbs fatter and after a hard week...

carpediemracing
04-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Got it down under 100 minutes, 99 something. I falter pretty hard about 80 minutes in.

I also realized there are three? banners on the way up for power ups. I want to get an aero one and then sprint on the steepest downhill bits. It appears that they're before and after the last switchback, -11% on both those straights. I figure over 60 mph should be attainable, based on hitting 59 mph on a less steep slope, it looks like -8% to -9%.

onekgguy
04-06-2018, 03:58 PM
That is a pretty cool video onekgguy! I did AdZ yesterday and it was very difficult. I found when the grade changes to under 8% it feels so much easier! There are a few semi flat spots but they don't last long. I am not a pro or a racer just recreational rider. It took me about 80 minutes at 196 watt average.

I've ridden it twice and am sitting at 60:45. I'm doing an easy ride as I speak with hopes of breaking an hour when it comes back into play. What a fun challenge it is!

Kevin g

ergott
04-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Any of you doing Tour of Watopia?

That's been a blast so far too!

dieonthishill
04-06-2018, 05:49 PM

+1 It's been great! Stage 3 on Tuesday.

R3awak3n
04-06-2018, 06:44 PM
I had packed the trainer up, went on vacation for a few week... get back and its snowing so trainer is back out and rode some zwift today. I am very out of shape and not level 12 yet but if weather continues like this I will be 12 by next week and want to try ADZ. Hope they keep adding other known climbs to the game, I don't think people have been so excited about a zwift thing since it started

ergott
04-06-2018, 07:20 PM
You know what, I wouldn't mind seeing a long lap around the coast of the whole Alpe map. If you look at the companion map there's a lot of real estate there and riding the coast (could dip inland too) would probably give you a 40 or so mile loop. All the flat courses are pretty short. Great racing prospects.

https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/newZwiftroutes-770x578.jpg

onekgguy
04-06-2018, 08:13 PM
You know what, I wouldn't mind seeing a long lap around the coast of the whole Alpe map. If you look at the companion map there's a lot of real estate there and riding the coast (could dip inland too) would probably give you a 40 or so mile loop. All the flat courses are pretty short. Great racing prospects.

https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/newZwiftroutes-770x578.jpg

Nice idea. It's just a matter of time I would guess.

Kevin g

sparky33
04-10-2018, 08:51 AM

Yes!
Stage 3 last night...first time up the Alpe. The climb was perfect, steep&long but not ridiculously so.

To be honest the worst part about climbing Alpe du Zwift is that the ride down is a little boring, but I'm not about to give up that hard-earned downhill run.

Stage 4 tomorrow...

sparky33
04-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Great idea on the coastal loop.
It would be nice to have an undulating route down from the Alpe summit too.

ergott
04-10-2018, 08:55 AM
I'm going up today. Downhill is for pee/food break!

sparky33
04-10-2018, 08:57 AM
I'm going up today. Downhill is for pee/food break!
Will the avatar roll itself all the way down if you dismount for a few minutes?

kppolich
04-10-2018, 08:58 AM
To give everyone an idea on the time and effort that goes into creating thes virtual courses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbQTnAOt4M

ergott
04-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Will the avatar roll itself all the way down if you dismount for a few minutes?

So long as there are no flats (like the epic KOM). Alpe is all -deg so you can walk away