PDA

View Full Version : OT-Safety Razors

oldpotatoe
03-29-2018, 08:26 AM
I hate to shave..so I shave about once a week..and then the disposable gets all clogged up, dull, use them about twice. So...thinking about a safety razor. Easier to clean, not wanting to pay a ton of $(see above, shave not much), and probably need adjustable(NOTE-on Anti coagulants..cut=lotsa bleeding)...

So, any suggestions of a decent adjustable, well made, not $YUGE$ razor? Google has $ all over the map..NOT a purist, don't use a brush and soap made from the underbelly hairs and fat of Himalayan goats, type thing...

Tired of throwing these disposable away..

Grazie..:)

woolly
03-29-2018, 08:35 AM
I cut easily too, but without the additional consequence you face. I have a beard, but keep my neck shaved & upper-face trimmed. I tried a safety razor several times, a couple of different models, with several different blade options, but it was always much more of a bloody mess than good multi-blade disposables.

What I *did* happen to find were Shick Quattro Titanium disposables (cartridge refills). I shave 5-6 times a week, and I can make one cartridge last at least a month, if not two. On top of that, there is very, very little bleeding, even when getting near the end of the cartridges useful life. It's so much of a difference that if I take a run-of-the-mill full disposable razor with me when I travel, I typically forget & end up looking like a shark-attack victim.

I know this isn't a direct solution for what you're asking, but it might be an alternative. I've tried many different types of disposable cartridges, and never found any others that worked this well, for this long. As always, YMMV.

Likes2ridefar
03-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Safety razor will clog with lots of growth. At least it does on me.

However it is easy to clean with a quick unscrewing and a run under water.

I use a merkur 180 long handle and double edged merkur blades. I also have a cheapie I got in EU made of plastic. It performs nearly as well. Prefer the weight and feel of th merkur but either will do in a pinch.

Regardless both are significantly cheaper in the long run, work better too, than any mainstream razor I’ve used.

RobJ
03-29-2018, 08:44 AM
I tend to cut quite easily too on my face, but I have had good luck with the combo below. The razor is more just holding the blade, so good blades are important. I read through a ton of reviews and the ones below are really inexpensive but highly rated. I get more than one shave easily per blade.

Even the safety razor from the local CVS / Rite-Aid has done well too.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Touch-Safety-Razor-Chrome/dp/B00HMEBRKO

https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Platinum-Double-Safety-Blades/dp/B001QY8QXM/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1522330724&sr=8-5&keywords=razor%2Bblades&th=1

false_Aest
03-29-2018, 08:55 AM
Merkur Futur with their own blades is how I go.
I don't have a lot of facial hair and shave once every 7-10 days or so.
I don't nic myself often. Even used it for my legs.

Way less ingrown hairs + tiny zits the next day.

I shower first then shave. Helps with making the beard soft.
Then I use a soup mug to vigorously rinse out the hair from the blade. It doesn't work that well in a sink filled with water or under the faucet.

FlashUNC
03-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Philips One Blade. It's pretty fantastic.

ptourkin
03-29-2018, 09:13 AM
I went to this from a Parker Heavyweight:

https://www.amazon.com/VIKINGS-Godfather-Safety-Swedish-Platinum/dp/B019QLSRT4/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I am getting a much closer and safer shave with fewer cuts. I'm using the same Shark Platinum blades.

While I like the buttefly opening of the Parkers, it was sloppier, cut me more, and eventually broke.

The Viking is much better for me. I left one of the few reviews I've ever done on Amazon for it.

Edit: It was a Parker that broke, not a Merkur.

JAGI410
03-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Merkur razor and feather blades works well for me. I bought a sample pack of blades and tried a few brands, but the feather blades were nicest to my face.

deechee
03-29-2018, 09:17 AM
I find using a pre-shave oil reduces the nicks. The only one I really know is the one from Art of Shaving. But I really should dig up my old safety razor and try again with some of these blades being mentioned. I never tried a straight blade but always appreciate it at the barber...

C40_guy
03-29-2018, 09:17 AM
I use a vintage Gillette purchased on ebay, along with Feather safety blades. Much nicer than shaving with disposables...

tumbler
03-29-2018, 09:43 AM
I tried the DE Safety Razor route for a while. I went all-in watching tutorials on YouTube, reading long descriptions of other people's morning routines, buying all the tools, etc. Did not enjoy.

After a year or so, I went back to a Schick Hydro 3 (which is getting hard to find blades for) and either Barbersol or Gillette foam-style cream and the whole process is much better now. I really wanted to like the safety razor and get away from the disposable (and $$$) cartridges, but just couldn't get a decent shave with it. I'd either end up with lots of missed spots, or lots of cuts from trying to shave those missed spots. Not to mention the additional time it took. Perhaps I just lack the skill.

The one thing I did like the safety razor for was doing a first pass after I haven't shaved for a while. With a cartridge razor, moving one inch over a beard will clog it up, but the safety razor was able to pass through much more hair, probably due to the single blade not holding onto as much afterwards. A quick rinse under the faucet and it would release whatever hair was stuck on the blade. But you can also use a clipper for this, which is what I generally do now.

Blown Reek
03-29-2018, 09:49 AM
It's Rolls Razor or nothing.

MikeD
03-29-2018, 10:03 AM
This one won't clog up on you :

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180329/5767723fefdc1851c0505f466db32006.jpg

Ken Robb
03-29-2018, 10:05 AM
I've been shaving for 60 years and have tried most systems except a straight razor. Today's electrics are so good that I haven't used foam/blade for years. I like a Norelco rotary but others may prefer Braun or other foil head shavers. When you get a new type of electric it may take a while for your beard to the new way of shaving.

Pre-shave lotions like Williams Electra-shave really work. I can only get a closer shave with a blade if I shave down and then back up and THAT causes me lots of irritation. If you have a 5 o'clock shadow and you want to be baby smooth like you were in the morning just shave again because an electric will not cause the irritation of another go with blade/foam.

I'm not trying to convert anyone who is happy with their current system but if you have problems using blades like Old Potato try an electric. If you buy one at COSTCO you can give it a good long test and still return it if you decide it's not for you. Heck, I think Norelco may still offer a money-back guaranty no matter where you bought it.

crownjewelwl
03-29-2018, 10:08 AM
try this first:

https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Double-Edge-Shaving-Razor/dp/B003YJ70NY/ref=sr_1_9_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1522336043&sr=1-9&keywords=feather+razor+handle

if you like the blade (which is most important) you may want to upgrade to a nicer/heavier handle down the road

$15 not much of a commitment

crankles
03-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Merkur razor and feather blades works well for me. I bought a sample pack of blades and tried a few brands, but the feather blades were nicest to my face.

This is the combo I use. I'm not even sure what model of Merkur I have...it was my dads. My guess is a 33 or 34? It's not fancy.

I'd add that a shaving brush is the key and greatly improves any blade shave. I'd say it's even more important than the blade + razor choice.

I prefer shaving creams with glycerin but I think it's like saddle choices. gotta find what works.

oh, and you don't need fancy silver tipped badger brush either. I have a lower end one ( $20-$30?) that is still going strong after 10+years.

Likes2ridefar
03-29-2018, 10:59 AM
I've been shaving for 60 years and have tried most systems except a straight razor. Today's electrics are so good that I haven't used foam/blade for years. I like a Norelco rotary but others may prefer Braun or other foil head shavers. When you get a new type of electric it may take a while for your beard to the new way of shaving.

Pre-shave lotions like Williams Electra-shave really work. I can only get a closer shave with a blade if I shave down and then back up and THAT causes me lots of irritation. If you have a 5 o'clock shadow and you want to be baby smooth like you were in the morning just shave again because an electric will not cause the irritation of another go with blade/foam.

I'm not trying to convert anyone who is happy with their current system but if you have problems using blades like Old Potato try an electric. If you buy one at COSTCO you can give it a good long test and still return it if you decide it's not for you. Heck, I think Norelco may still offer a money-back guaranty no matter where you bought it.

I agree with this. I use a braun and it shaves closer than my safety and while it takes a little longer is easier and never cuts.

I haven’t used the safety in a few years now other than neck and sideburn control.

huck*this
03-29-2018, 11:13 AM
I use a Parker safety razor. And Astra blades. QTY:100 for $10.

My recommendation. It is not so much about the razor as it is the blade. Buy a sample blade pack and find which works best for your skin. With the Astra I can shave with just water out of the shower not lotion, razor burn or cuts. You have to learn the angle that works for you and also the pressure. I believe a good starting point is 35 degree angle.

Once you make the switch you won't go back at least for me. 100 blades last me a year, and give a far better shave then disposable. I get about 3 shaves out of a razor before switching out. That depends on how course or fine your hair is. Learning curve stuff but it will come quick.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2398/1395/products/parker-variant-adjustable-razor-satin-chrome_568x.jpg?v=1521733691

shamsixnine
03-29-2018, 11:18 AM
I have a very sensitive due to psoriasis, and very scruffy facial hair. I spent big bucks on the very best electric shavers-and for me, they sucked. I never got a good shave with an electric, and I tried various disposables. Only so-so results and expensive. I have finally found the best solution for me. I use a safety razor and CREMO shave cream, No brushing, no mess and this combo is absolutely amazing. I'm putting the links of what I use below. The actual razor handle you use is very subjective. You do not need to spend big bucks on these. I use a Merkur Futur and Russian made Astra Blades.https://www.amazon.com/Cremo-Original-Astonishingly-Superior-Shaving/dp/B009WQH8SA/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1522340107&sr=8-3&keywords=cremo%2Bshave%2Bcream&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Futur-Adjustable-Double-Saftey/dp/B00375BUQ8/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1522340265&sr=1-4&keywords=merkur%2Bfutur&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Superior-Platinum-Double-Blades/dp/B001OXV7T0/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1522340298&sr=1-2&keywords=astra+platinum+double+edge+safety+razor+b lades

OtayBW
03-29-2018, 11:42 AM
This one won't clog up on you :

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180329/5767723fefdc1851c0505f466db32006.jpg
Oh no! :eek:
That thing is what's known as a 'shavette' - a holder with a disposable manufactured razor blade as insert. It is not a proper straight razor made from quality, well-honed steel, IMO. Because of health regulations these days, this is what you get if you go to a barber for a shave. Harsh, dangerous, and inelegant, IMO. :no: ;)

[/soapbox]

EPOJoe
03-29-2018, 12:58 PM
If anyone wanted to try a straight razor, I’d also advise against the shavette type deal. Just get a real straight and learn how to care for the blade through the now endless YouTube tutorials. OP, if you want to try a straight, let me know and I’ll send you a vintage blade that’s shave ready. There is a learning curve, but it’ll never clog, and for me, straights have turned what used to be an unpleasant chore into something I look forward to.

MagicHour
03-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Look around at antique stores, or ebay for a vintage Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed model - can be found for relatively cheap. Great dimestore razors from the ~40s-60s that will last forever. Clean it up/sterilize, find what blades you like and you'll have it fo the rest of your life, and no more 30$ refill blades or disposable plastic waste.

If you'd prefer new: look at Merkur 34C HD, Edwin Jagger or even a cheapo Lord L6 are all great too.

C40_guy
03-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Must be a few of us on this shaving forum (https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/)...

I originally heard about safety razors in a Bicycling magazine article about leg shaving.

Now I have a couple of Gillettes from the early '60s and a more recent Merkur...

CMiller
03-29-2018, 02:42 PM
I love, love, love safety razors. I always had red bumps after shaves, not as much cuts and just irritation. Started using safety razors and no more at all. Get a sampler pack of blades for sure and see which works for your face and shaving style. Blades are like saddles, they don't fit every one!

makoti
03-29-2018, 03:07 PM
So, any suggestions of a decent adjustable, well made, not $YUGE$ razor? Google has $ all over the map..NOT a purist, don't use a brush and soap made from the underbelly hairs and fat of Himalayan goats, type thing...

Tired of throwing these disposable away..

Grazie..:)

Hate disposables for many reasons...
I use a $35 Edwin Jagger razor. Lasts for years, blades are stupid cheap. Astra by the 100 from Amazon.
A decent brush (I use a badger) and a bowl to mix it up in. Cella soap by the kg. All pretty cheap & very effective. Almost makes shaving fun. Almost.
+1 to B&B. I bought my first razor & brush there.

mt2u77
03-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Wow, I must be a shaving heathen. I just use disposables, whatever's on sale the cheapest with 3 or 4 blades, and use each one for a couple months. When the wear indicator falls off, I'm usually just getting started. I bought a big bag for ~$9 a couple years ago, and I'm still working through them. I admit the razors clog up fast on long hair. I made a little plastic tool to scrape out the clogged stuff, but best to avoid it all together.

Based on this thread, I'll look into a safety razor. That, or a rusty butter knife.

C40_guy
03-29-2018, 03:31 PM
Based on this thread, I'll look into a safety razor. That, or a rusty butter knife.

Campy makes a beautiful peanut butter wrench/knife/spreader. Hit one side with a grinding wheel and you'd have a forum appropriate Campy straight edge. :)

oldpotatoe
03-29-2018, 03:39 PM
Campy makes a beautiful peanut butter wrench/knife/spreader. Hit one side with a grinding wheel and you'd have a forum appropriate Campy straight edge. :)

Perfect!!! Thanks all, I made a modest investment, anybody have B+ blood type, just in case?:eek:

cp43
03-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Perfect!!! Thanks all, I made a modest investment, anybody have B+ blood type, just in case?:eek:

As it happens, I am B+ blood type.

Also, I have a beard, so I there's no danger of me bleeding out from a shaving cut. I'll have plenty of blood, you can borrow some if you need! :)

Chris

VTCaraco
03-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Kind-of nice being able to help Mr. Spud given all the advice he provides...

I did the Edwin Jagger then stumbled into a Merkur and was surprised by how much more I liked it. To console myself after missing that C50 PSA (opted for a more adult-decision given a son in College), I treated myself to a RazoRock Mamba (https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-mamba-de-safety-razor) from Italian Barber. My experience has been terrific. It's clearly nicer (for me) than the Merkur and I appreciate the craftsmanship and think very highly of the folks at ItalianBarber.com.

I'd be happy to send you my Merkur, gratis, if you just want to stick your toe in this. I could send you that and a pack of the Featherlight blades that I use (far-and-away my favorite). I would also recommend a brush, but that's not ENTIRELY necessary. Cremo is in my shower and is certainly a wonderful option. I also use Poraso with my brush and think that's pretty great, too. An alum bar will help reduce any razor burn and even stop the little nicks if you get overzealous or distracted. And a nice after-shave (whether alcohol-based or otherwise) helps, too. I just bought some of the RazoRock options with my razor order, but prior to that was using Poraso and mixing it, typically, with some lotion.
If you want, this can become a similar hobby/abyss as cycling with all sorts of options and vehement opinions.

Per the shave, it took me one or two (with the EJ kit) to adjust to the feel relative to a higher-end Gilette or Schick, but I've been using this type of system now for a few years. You CAN get overzealous and run a blade over and over an area and end up with some razor burn, but you figure that out fairly quickly.
Hope that helps....and PM if you want to take my Merkur.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2018, 04:12 PM

I did the Edwin Jagger then stumbled into a Merkur and was surprised by how much more I liked it. To console myself after missing that C50 PSA (opted for a more adult-decision given a son in College), I treated myself to a RazoRock Mamba (https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-mamba-de-safety-razor) from Italian Barber. My experience has been terrific. It's clearly nicer (for me) than the Merkur and I appreciate the craftsmanship and think very highly of the folks at ItalianBarber.com.

I'd be happy to send you my Merkur, gratis, if you just want to stick your toe in this. I could send you that and a pack of the Featherlight blades that I use (far-and-away my favorite). I would also recommend a brush, but that's not ENTIRELY necessary. Cremo is in my shower and is certainly a wonderful option. I also use Poraso with my brush and think that's pretty great, too. An alum bar will help reduce any razor burn and even stop the little nicks if you get overzealous or distracted. And a nice after-shave (whether alcohol-based or otherwise) helps, too. I just bought some of the RazoRock options with my razor order, but prior to that was using Poraso and mixing it, typically, with some lotion.
If you want, this can become a similar hobby/abyss as cycling with all sorts of options and vehement opinions.

Per the shave, it took me one or two (with the EJ kit) to adjust to the feel relative to a higher-end Gilette or Schick, but I've been using this type of system now for a few years. You CAN get overzealous and run a blade over and over an area and end up with some razor burn, but you figure that out fairly quickly.

Many thanks for kind offer but let my try the one I just ordered...
Peter

MikeD
03-29-2018, 05:03 PM
My favorite razor is the Schick Hydro 5. It seems as good as the Gillette Fusion Proglide but cheaper. I've also used Harry's. You can flow water through the back of the Schick so it doesn't clog. It also has a flip up thing so you can shave under your nose. Single bladed razors don't shave close enough for me.

Of course if I were as grizzled as old potootie... To be clear, are you talking about shaving your face, legs, or what?

ceolwulf
03-29-2018, 06:12 PM
Switched to a safety razor a couple years ago and will never go back. Saves a surprising amount of cash too, which can be better spent on bike parts :banana:

Got the Edwin Jagger one and Feather blades and I suppose there may be better options but I've been completely happy with them.

wc1934
03-29-2018, 07:17 PM

YES
Poroso and a good brush makes shaving with a marginal razor acceptable.

OtayBW
03-29-2018, 08:25 PM

I did the Edwin Jagger then stumbled into a Merkur and was surprised by how much more I liked it. To console myself after missing that C50 PSA (opted for a more adult-decision given a son in College), I treated myself to a RazoRock Mamba (https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-mamba-de-safety-razor) from Italian Barber.RazoRock also makes some quality shaving soaps if you're into that...

MerckxMad
03-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Some time, blood, and money. Harry’s. Get a kit mailed to you for $15. German made blades for $8 that last more than a week attached to a decent weight handle with a good grip.

Safety razors were consigned to the trash bin of history for a good reason. They suck. The blades dull quickly and if you don’t hold the blade just so you cut your face and get ingrown hairs. For what? To save a nickel on blades? Then spend $8500 on a bike. Nuts.

C40_guy
03-29-2018, 08:53 PM
Switched to a safety razor a couple years ago and will never go back. Saves a surprising amount of cash too, which can be better spent on bike parts :banana:

Got the Edwin Jagger one and Feather blades and I suppose there may be better options but I've been completely happy with them.

Same here. Those plastic razors just suck.

Feather is my blade of choice too!

C40_guy
03-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Safety razors were consigned to the trash bin of history for a good reason. They suck. The blades dull quickly and if you don’t hold the blade just so you cut your face and get ingrown hairs.

Yea, some jamoke in marketing figured out they could sell a lot more crap if they invented expensive throwaway product.

My experience is that safety blades give me a better shave and last longer than cartridge blades.

cmbicycles
03-29-2018, 10:19 PM
Not a safety razor recommendation... but I also don't enjoy shaving. I have a beard between Christmas and Easter most years, but I still shave around it on cheeks and neck to keep it manageable. I'm a teacher so usually over Christmas break (week and a half) I grow it out, so it's not insignificant growth but I'm not exactly black beard. I use Gillette Mach3 razors, as they don't clog easily and last me a couple months. I just shave with water in the shower, so no rituals to save blade life or baby my face. Quick shave, no cuts, rinse out with shower water and done. If the safety razor you bought doesn't work out might be worth looking into the mach3 if you haven't tried one. I tried a few 4-5 blade razors and all clogged up quickly one or two shaves before having to clean out with an old toothbrush.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2018, 06:42 AM
My favorite razor is the Schick Hydro 5. It seems as good as the Gillette Fusion Proglide but cheaper. I've also used Harry's. You can flow water through the back of the Schick so it doesn't clog. It also has a flip up thing so you can shave under your nose. Single bladed razors don't shave close enough for me.

Of course if I were as grizzled as old potootie... To be clear, are you talking about shaving your face, legs, or what?

Face, gave up on the MAMIL leg shave gig a while ago...way close isn't the gig, just getting the stuff off my face once a week or so with an easier to clean/unclog razor...where I don't have to throw it away so soon..and not bleed to death.

I have a $16 'solution' coming from Amazon..we'll see.

mcteague
03-30-2018, 06:49 AM
I've been using this for several years now. Not as close a shave as the multi-blade wonders but pretty good. The blades are stupid cheap by comparison; $6.44/50 blades.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51nKDAKYYAL._SY679_.jpghttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZLmdZeMsL.jpg
Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor

Tim

C40_guy
03-30-2018, 07:44 AM
If you don’t want to go the route of a natural bristle brush, soap and the magic incantations required to generate just the right amount of lather, pick up a bottle of “Kiss My Face” moisture shave or similar. Just smear it on your face in the shower and shave.

The shave is far better than with soap or plain water.

Like Silca NFS, for shaving. :)

oldpotatoe
03-30-2018, 07:51 AM
If you don’t want to go the route of a natural bristle brush, soap and the magic incantations required to generate just the right amount of lather, pick up a bottle of “Kiss My Face” moisture shave or similar. Just smear it on your face in the shower and shave.

The shave is far better than with soap or plain water.

Like Silca NFS, for shaving. :)

Used to shave in shower until my 'old age eyes' meant I couldn't see the mirror without glasses..DOH..gettin' old ain't for sissies. :eek:

C40_guy
03-30-2018, 08:39 AM
Used to shave in shower until my 'old age eyes' meant I couldn't see the mirror without glasses..DOH..gettin' old ain't for sissies. :eek:

Shaving with a mirror is for sissies. :)

VTCaraco
03-30-2018, 09:18 AM
Used to shave in shower until my 'old age eyes' meant I couldn't see the mirror without glasses..

I go with the shower protocol and simply feel my face to gauge what I've missed. Frankly, I try to go fast in the morning and keep the hair short enough that that doesn't require any care either. Therefore, I don't typically bump into a mirror at all.
Makes for a great excuse when I get to work (HS teacher) and a student points out that I have a patch that I missed completely.

makoti
03-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Safety razors were consigned to the trash bin of history for a good reason. They suck. The blades dull quickly and if you don’t hold the blade just so you cut your face and get ingrown hairs. For what? To save a nickel on blades?

This is, frankly, loony. A package of blades that last me a year costs $10. Cartridges cost $25+ for 5. Those won't last a month.
Because they are so cheap, you never try to get "one more shave" out of a dull blade. Toss it, shave with new.
A can of crappy foam costs about $4. A tub of good creme costs about $10 & lasts 5 times longer.
If you take just a BIT of care, a safety razor gives a clean, smooth, safe shave. Can you cut yourself? Sure, and badly if you don't respect the fact your dragging g a VERY sharp metal object across your face. If you're getting fewer cuts with a disposable, it's because you have poor technique with a safety & disposables start off less sharp.
AND.... the ridiculous amount of plastic waste you are creating by using disposable is amazing. The handle, the packaging, the casing for the blade. No thanks.
Wet shaving is far superior to whatever you would call what most people do, it's not even close. It's Super Record vs. Tiagra. That simple.
Next to having Bob at the barber shop give you a shave, it's the way to go for safety & comfort.

MerckxMad
03-30-2018, 09:36 AM
This is, frankly, loony. A package of blades that last me a year costs $10. Cartridges cost $25+ for 5. Those won't last a month.
Because they are so cheap, you never try to get "one more shave" out of a dull blade. Toss it, shave with new.
A can of crappy foam costs about $4. A tub of good creme costs about $10 & lasts 5 times longer.
If you take just a BIT of care, a safety razor gives a clean, smooth, safe shave. Can you cut yourself? Sure, and badly if you don't respect the fact your dragging g a VERY sharp metal object across your face. If your getting fewer cuts with a disposable, it's because you have poor technique with a safety & disposables start off less sharp.
AND.... the ridiculous amount of plastic waste you are creating by using disposable is amazing. The handle, the packaging, the casing for the blade. No thanks.
Wet shaving is far superior to whatever you would call what most people do, it's not even close. It's Super Record vs. Tiagra. That simple.
Next to having Bob at the barber shop give you a shave, it's the way to go for safety & comfort.

What's loony is daily risking cuts and razor burn in a time consuming ritual to save a nickle and then buying a $8 latte to celebrate not slicing your face off. You can keep it. I'll gladly pay a few bucks for a quick, clean shave and I'll send you my stiff badger brush, Proraso tub and crusty Merkur (talk about marketing hype; this nonsense has become a religion amongst the retro males).

OtayBW
03-30-2018, 09:57 AM
What's loony is daily risking cuts and razor burn in a time consuming ritual to save a nickle and then buying a $8 latte to celebrate not slicing your face off. You can keep it. I'll gladly pay a few bucks for a quick, clean shave and I'll send you my stiff badger brush, Proraso tub and crusty Merkur (talk about marketing hype; this nonsense has become a religion amongst the retro males).Nope. A proper shave with proper prep and halfway decent technique will reduce or eliminate razor burn, ingrown hairs and etc. And a straight shave is even superior to a safety razor. In either case, my sense is that it's only 'nonsense' if you don't actually know what you're doing....

ptourkin
03-30-2018, 10:00 AM
What's loony is daily risking cuts and razor burn in a time consuming ritual to save a nickle and then buying a $8 latte to celebrate not slicing your face off. You can keep it. I'll gladly pay a few bucks for a quick, clean shave and I'll send you my stiff badger brush, Proraso tub and crusty Merkur (talk about marketing hype; this nonsense has become a religion amongst the retro males).

Since when do Merckx mad people don't like "retro?"

MerckxMad
03-30-2018, 10:05 AM
and face! I really don't care what people use to shave whiskers off their faces. Now, if Eddy made MX Leader safety razor, I'd have to reconsider.

makoti
03-30-2018, 10:33 AM

I'll gladly take all that stuff off your hands.

Nope. A proper shave with proper prep and halfway decent technique will reduce or eliminate razor burn, ingrown hairs and etc. And a straight shave is even superior to a safety razor. In either case, my sense is that it's only 'nonsense' if you don't actually know what you're doing....

All of this is truth

staggerwing
03-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Its not a religion for me, but I like the Persona Med Prep (USA made) blades best. Seem a little smoother and less harsh than some of the others. A little more expensive, but I'm not going to worry about 38 cents a week.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MC0RXE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the Italian touch, just buy some Proraso shaving cream. Good stuff, inexpensive, simple. No incantations or special brushes required.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837ZOI0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FWIW, I just shave blind, no mirror, while showering. A pea sized dab of Proraso lathered into my cheeks, go to town for a couple of minutes, and job done.

Mikej
03-30-2018, 11:49 AM
I’ve found that since taking allergy medicine I have less irratation. I have curly hair and it grows under. Also, I use The Art of Shave cream - 25$ but really feel it help. I use the most expensive Gillette cartridges and buy at sams in the biggest pack. I use Rapha shave products also Dnr realy like them.

eippo1
03-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Actually found that all the irritation etc. that I had for years with cartridge went away when I learned how to properly use a safety razor. So much better now.

Of course it's a bit nuanced since you have to find out what weight razor plus blade combo works best for your face too. For me it's the heavy Merkur plus Feather blades. Any other blade gives me irritation and a lighter weight means more passes and thus more irritation.

Also got a straight razor, but use that on the weekends. And of course have an electric that I use if I literally have no time in the morning due to my dog taking an exceptionally long time to find a place to poop.

C40_guy
03-30-2018, 04:09 PM

Less than a minute in the shower and I haven’t nicked myself in years.

I find shaving with the old school stuff far more pleasant. And cheaper too. So I can afford to keep my Colnagos on the road :)

Zoodles
03-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Definitely no retro fan and +1 for the safety razor

I used to hate shaving with a 4 blade cartridge, a spot under my neck was constantly irritated to the point I wouldn't shave for 24 hrs before a hard ride/race.

Switched to a safety and a good canned foam. Shave daily now and it is super smooth. The first time was pretty messy but once you get the feel for the weight and angle it's super quick.

This thread reminds me to change the blade I started with in Jan.!!

Louis
03-31-2018, 01:40 AM
I can't believe no one's suggested the easiest solution - a beard.

I trim under my chin once a week, and I'm good to go. (btw, that isn't me)

Really helps during cool weather rides.

http://bike.stupidhumans.org/image/stupidhumans/1012/old-man-on-a-pink-bike-man-girls-bike-rerun-stupid-human-1293103189.jpg

oldpotatoe
03-31-2018, 07:09 AM

Yikes...razors at 10 paces!! Kinda like the BB help, doesn't spin smoothly thread....Mods, close this thing, Got my info, appreciate the advice but geez...time to go ride, not bitch about razors. IM Farging Opinion..

People need to get on their friggimg bike more. :eek:

And for tright above, tried a beard, mine looks like crappola..worse than David Letterman's..Makes me look homeless..

Actually, his doesn't look bad but they always make you look older..and covers up double chins(somebody I see on TV could use a beard..DOH!!)

EPOJoe
03-31-2018, 12:33 PM
Safety razors were consigned to the trash bin of history for a good reason. They suck.

Safety razors and straight razors were consigned to the trash bin of history for the same reason as tubular tires. Despite their many advantages, it's just "easier" to use a disposable. I spent ten years using a safety razor, surprised at how much better an antique Gem single edge was compared to the disposables, but I never really found shaving nirvana until I started using straight razors. No, they're not for everyone, but once mastered, they give the best shave you'll ever get, relatively quickly and at virtually no cost for the rest of your life. Just another example of a superior product being supplanted by an inferior product that offers inferior performance and an inferior experience because of perceived initial ease of use and marketing bull.

03-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Pete, if you ever read across the hall, you'd know there's a crazy thread there on shaving. Read at your own peril.

For what you describe -- thick growth to actual beard, get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VVT94G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then simply shave. This shaver may be all you need. It's specifically made for bald people and if I don't shave my head for a couple days, it comes out. Also great for legs after a long winter month.

And because you like to inhabit one crazy forum, check out this one:

www.badgerandblade.com

Everything you ever possible could want to know about shaving products, problems, processes, current and past.

CPP
03-31-2018, 01:18 PM
Hey Peter,
What did you end up getting?

How is it working out?

oldpotatoe
03-31-2018, 02:48 PM
Hey Peter,
What did you end up getting?

How is it working out?

Something for $17 from Amazon, haven’t gotten it yet.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2018, 02:53 PM
Pete, if you ever read across the hall, you'd know there's a crazy thread there on shaving. Read at your own peril.

For what you describe -- thick growth to actual beard, get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VVT94G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then simply shave. This shaver may be all you need. It's specifically made for bald people and if I don't shave my head for a couple days, it comes out. Also great for legs after a long winter month.

And because you like to inhabit one crazy forum, check out this one:

www.badgerandblade.com

Everything you ever possible could want to know about shaving products, problems, processes, current and past.

I went across the hall once, posted one thing and immediately got pissed on by somebody...left, ain’t goin’ back, thanks.

03-31-2018, 03:16 PM
I went across the hall once, posted one thing and immediately got pissed on by somebody...left, ain’t goin’ back, thanks.

Just sayin' it's a place to read about razors. Sorry that happened to you. There were some uncomfortable times around the corral at one point and you must have encountered it.

You WILL, however, love Badger & Blade. The Campy lover in you will get off to their vintage Italian razors that look nice but shift ... excuse me, shave ... not so good. And it's a very amicable place -- what wouldn't be when everyone's holding a razor blade in their hands?

makoti
03-31-2018, 03:23 PM
You WILL, however, love Badger & Blade. The Campy lover in you will get off to their vintage Italian razors that look nice but shift ... excuse me, shave ... not so good. And it's a very amicable place -- what wouldn't be when everyone's holding a razor blade in their hands?

I'll agree with this. Amazing resource on shaving & for the most part reasonable people. The classifieds are nice, too. Like I mentioned, I got my first razor, 3 brushes, and a stand used there.

wc1934
03-31-2018, 03:44 PM
I'll gladly take all that stuff off your hands.

All of this is truth

you beat me to it!!

giordana93
03-31-2018, 06:30 PM
I switched to safety razor about 2 years ago. Used to hate shaving too, and not only tolerate it but some days actually enjoy it. There is definitely a learning curve, and I highly recommend getting a brush. You can get a very serviceable Italian boar brush for under $15. Many good soaps for under $10 and will last years and smell nice. Will never ever go back to foam in can.

oldpotatoe
04-04-2018, 09:17 AM
try this first:

https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Double-Edge-Shaving-Razor/dp/B003YJ70NY/ref=sr_1_9_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1522336043&sr=1-9&keywords=feather+razor+handle

if you like the blade (which is most important) you may want to upgrade to a nicer/heavier handle down the road

$15 not much of a commitment

Got this one, used it first time this AM..comfy, easy, sharp, easy to clean..perfect shave for me(not UBER close), no cuts..very pleased..

Thanks for the advice.

SlackMan
04-04-2018, 09:50 AM
I've been off the forum for awhile, so I know this reply is late, but I'll chime in. I use a Gillette Slim Adjustable that was my fathers from the early 1960s with Feather blades. The shave is wonderful.

One thing I really like about the Gillette is that it is adjustable. This makes it easier to match to your skin and facial hair. The Feather blades are great, but the Feather razor is not adjustable, so if it's not a good match for your skin / facial hair, there is no way to adjust.

One can get Gillette Slim Adjustables on ebay for very reasonable prices. And if you were born in the 1960s or thereabout, you might be able to find one from your birth year if you think that would be cool. :banana:

OtayBW
04-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Got this one, used it first time this AM..comfy, easy, sharp, easy to clean..perfect shave for me(not UBER close), no cuts..very pleased..

Thanks for the advice.

May not be the biggest high zoot razor, but it should do well. The Feather razor blades are among - if not THE - sharpest blades available.
Go slow, light pressure, get whatever decent kind of lather that you can and go...

fiamme red
04-04-2018, 04:52 PM
My favorite razor is the Schick Hydro 5. It seems as good as the Gillette Fusion Proglide but cheaper. I've also used Harry's. You can flow water through the back of the Schick so it doesn't clog. It also has a flip up thing so you can shave under your nose. Single bladed razors don't shave close enough for me.How long do the Hydro 5 blades last for you?

MikeD
04-04-2018, 05:06 PM
How long do the Hydro 5 blades last for you?

Pretty long. As long as any other blades I've used. Can't give you an exact number of shaves though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldpotatoe
04-05-2018, 12:54 PM
May not be the biggest high zoot razor, but it should do well. The Feather razor blades are among - if not THE - sharpest blades available.
Go slow, light pressure, get whatever decent kind of lather that you can and go...

Pressure, that surprised me the most...started with very light pressure and was surprised how efficiently it shaved, anyway. MUCH less than the throwaway plastic junque.

makoti
04-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Pressure, that surprised me the most...started with very light pressure and was surprised how efficiently it shaved, anyway. MUCH less than the throwaway plastic junque.

Let the weight of the razor do the work. Apply almost no pressure. First pass, WITH the grain of your beard (or legs), second pass AGAINST the grain.
Care: Brush hangs bristles down to dry. Loosen the pressure on the blade after using & before washing it. You can wipe it down, but air drying works fine. I flip my blade for every shave.

giordana93
04-05-2018, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the advice.

that's great to hear. It will only get better with experience. I highly recommend taking the time to use a hot wet towel on your face for a couple of minutes to prep the beard, and most certainly do try to pick up a decent shave soap or cream. Some very good ones are not expensive (and like DE blades, cheaper per use than whatever goo in a can you may have been using) and really do add to the pleasure of the shave. arko and proraso are both great starter soaps (or cella if you like marzipan). a basic brush by omega or semogue will open a whole new world. I swear I went from hating the chore of shaving to actually appreciating a good slow shave

fiamme red
06-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Pretty long. As long as any other blades I've used. Can't give you an exact number of shaves though.I tried the Schick Hydro 5. It comes lubricated with a gel reservoir that makes the first shave extremely pleasant, smooth, and close. But the first shave is deceptive -- the blades grow quite dull after 4 or 5 shaves, so that even after several passes the hair isn't removed.

MikeD
06-12-2018, 10:11 PM
I tried the Schick Hydro 5. It comes lubricated with a gel reservoir that makes the first shave extremely pleasant, smooth, and close. But the first shave is deceptive -- the blades grow quite dull after 4 or 5 shaves, so that even after several passes the hair isn't removed.

Hmmm... You must have a tougher beard than mine. What have you found that's better?

Ozz
06-13-2018, 08:14 AM

+1 - they sell them at Costco - $19-25 for a handle and 16 blades.

Have not had a cut since started using 3-4 yrs ago.

The flip up back is great under nose and ease of rinsing/cleaning.

Also, Schick does not test their products on animals like Gillette does....at least that is what my wife says.

makoti
06-13-2018, 08:23 AM
+1 - they sell them at Costco - $19-25 for a handle and 16 blades.

You could buy 250+ blades for that much. Or an inexpensive safety razor and 50 blades.

Climb01742
06-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Could you recommend a good site/source for things like soaps/lathers and brushes? Nothing_too_crazy (the obsession can always come later) but a place to start with some good basic products. Thanks very much.

makoti
06-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Could you recommend a good site/source for things like soaps/lathers and brushes? Nothing_too_crazy (the obsession can always come later) but a place to start with some good basic products. Thanks very much.

Info? Badger & Blade forums. Items? West Coast Shaving, among many

Ozz
06-13-2018, 11:20 AM
You could buy 250+ blades for that much. Or an inexpensive safety razor and 50 blades.

Meh....I go thru about 1 blade (cartridge?) a month so a pack lasts a year for me...no cuts, convenient, easy to clean...cost hardly breaks the bank.

Shaving is not a ritual for me....it is something I do cuz I wear a suit a tie to work. I am too old to pull off the skinny suit, pants too short, colorful socks and a 3-day beard as the height of fashion.:cool:

Climb01742
06-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Info? Badger & Blade forums. Items? West Coast Shaving, among many

Merci.;)

zrossiter
06-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Meh....I go thru about 1 blade (cartridge?) a month so a pack lasts a year for me...no cuts, convenient, easy to clean...cost hardly breaks the bank.

Shaving is not a ritual for me....it is something I do cuz I wear a suit a tie to work. I am too old to pull off the skinny suit, pants too short, colorful socks and a 3-day beard as the height of fashion.:cool:

Same here - I got a safety razor one year after hearing so many good things. It was a hassle, cut myself more than usual...all for a small long term savings.

Id rather buy decent blades and throw it away each month and not worry about it.

VTCaraco
06-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Merci.;)

Italianbarber.com (https://www.italianbarber.com/) is awesome, too.
I love their RazoRock stuff, too. Great price and great products.

Climb01742
06-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Italianbarber.com (https://www.italianbarber.com/) is awesome, too.
I love their RazoRock stuff, too. Great price and great products.

Grazie!

OtayBW
06-13-2018, 05:54 PM
Yes to all of the above.

I've done biz with West Coast Shaving, Italian Barber and others over the years with good success. Also https://www.classicshaving.com/ and https://bullgooseshaving.com/, ususally because one may carry some oddball soap or something that I'm looking for. You can't go wrong with any of these.
GL

Additional thoughts:
-- I like tallow-based soaps. I particularly like Mitchell's Woolfat and Tabac, although Vallobra and Tabula Rasa are two of my fave non-tallow soaps - all very good (Tabula Rasa only available through West Coash Shaving; I like Dark Lavender, myself - very light floral; not heavy at all, masculine).
-- Get a decent brush (best badger or better) - there are tons (too many...) to choose from. Get a recommendation from whomever you order from. For perspective, I have just one brush; bought it in 2009 and it is every bit as new as the day I bought it. After shaving, I rinse it very well to get all the soap out, squeeze it dry and then smack it back and forth against my hand (like you're drying a paintbrush by smacking it against a wall) to get it good and dry, and then hand it upside down in a small stand to air-dry. I haven't lost a single bristle for as long as I can remember.

Ask

Climb01742
06-13-2018, 06:09 PM
Yes to all of the above.

I've done biz with West Coast Shaving, Italian Barber and others over the years with good success. Also https://www.classicshaving.com/ and https://bullgooseshaving.com/, ususally because one may carry some oddball soap or something that I'm looking for. You can't go wrong with any of these.
GL

Thanks!

I dislike shaving so much, I’m hoping trying a different approach will help it suck less. And I remember my Dad using a double edge razor.

OtayBW
06-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Thanks!

I dislike shaving so much, I’m hoping trying a different approach will help it suck less. And I remember my Dad using a double edge razor.
Yeah - shaving is a nuiscance. Good reason to 'elevate it'!