PDA

View Full Version : 10-Speed Rear Wheel Build Versus 11-Speed

grognaak
03-28-2018, 07:45 PM
I‘d like to understand what a wheelbuilder might change in the construction of an 11-speed rear wheel versus a 10-speed. Is the dishing affected? Anything else? How relevant are the differences? Could one just swap cassettes, 10 to 11 with no issues?

marciero
03-28-2018, 08:23 PM
I‘d like to understand what a wheelbuilder might change in the construction of an 11-speed rear wheel versus a 10-speed. Is the dishing affected? Anything else? How relevant are the differences? Could one just swap cassettes, 10 to 11 with no issues?

For Shimano at least, you can get a wider flange spacing 10 speed hubs vs 11. This results in less dish, less tension difference drive side vs nds, and stronger wheel. In practice though, the 11 speed hubs seem to build into wheels that are plenty strong. The 10sp hubs will not accept an 11sp cassette though.

Conversely, you can use 10sp cassette on 11 hub with a spacer.

For Campy the wheels I've seen and used were 9-10-11. The Neutrons and Nucleons I've had had a lot of dish.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2018, 06:44 AM

11s RH flange center to flange, is a wee bit less than 10s(like 1-3mm, depending on hub). So, the difference between RH tension(if proper)and LH tension is more on a 11s wheel than 10s(but still very managable)..And why OC rear rims(OffCenter drilling) is a good idea with 11s wheels along with 'locking' type nipples like Sapim SecureLock.

A 10s cogset with fit onto a 11s wheel with the most often, supplied spacer, the opposite is not true..for shimano 10s/11s compatible wheels(some exceptions, like Mavic). Campagnolo 9 and 10s wheels accept a 11s cogset w/o any issue or spacer needed.

Interestingly, Campagnolo 9/10 rear hubs had the RH flange 'about 16mm..shimano 8/9/10s wheels about 18mm or so..now shimano 11s hubs, the RH ctr to flange is about the same as Campag..gotta be, I guess...only so much room..Going to a 135mm spaced rear wheel would help(for road) but that opens lots of cans of worms..like crank arm clearance.

Mark McM
03-29-2018, 10:21 AM
As above, the difference in dishing/tension differential between 10spd and 11spd (Shimano/SRAM) wheels is not a night and day difference, its more of an incremental difference. As also noted, Shimano/SRAM wheel 11spd dishing/tension differential is now just about the same as for Campagnolo 8/9/10/11spd wheels, so there should already be a lot of experience with these levels of dishing/tension differential.

As above, one way to help mitigate the tension differentials is with the use of off-center rims. For standard rims, differential spoking might be considered (using thinner spokes on the left and thicker spokes on the right). In some cases, triplet lacing (two spokes on the right for each spoke on the left) is used to alleviate tension differentials. Campagnolo has used differential spoking and triplet lacing for many years on their 9/10/11spd wheels.

grognaak
03-31-2018, 02:25 PM
Thank you for the responses. I have a pair of Record hubs from the early 2000s that I am using in a custom build. I'm opting for 10-speed--the hubs are compatible with 9/10/11. It sounds like the difference may not be much but that it would be necessary to redish/tension the wheel if I changed to an 11-speed system.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2018, 02:47 PM
Thank you for the responses. I have a pair of Record hubs from the early 2000s that I am using in a custom build. I'm opting for 10-speed--the hubs are compatible with 9/10/11. It sounds like the difference may not be much but that it would be necessary to redish/tension the wheel if I changed to an 11-speed system.

Present day Record hubs identical to 2000 Record in terms of center to flange and flange diameter

marciero
03-31-2018, 07:33 PM

I defer to old potato and others with more Campy-specific knowledge, but the dish just puts the rim in the center of the hub-is independent of number of cogs you are using, so no re-dish. If it's like Shimano you would just use a spacer for 10 and not for 11.