PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Shop in NYC

amg
10-11-2006, 12:21 PM
There's a new shop in NYC, it's called Athleus (sp?) and it claims to be the first Serotta Design Center or something like that. I passed by on Monday but it was closed, though peeking through the window they had some nice bikes: Serotta, Time, Cyfac and Orbea. Anyone know anything about this shop?

Antonio

fiamme red
10-11-2006, 12:27 PM
http://www.nyvelocity.com/content.php?id=983

catulle
10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Production engineer = cook at McDonald's...? Gluteus Maximum.

johnmdesigner
10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
When I was in there they had put a "do not touch" sign on the Mevici frame.
Seems that all the kids of those bankers and lawyers were using it as a chin-up bar. :p

Grant McLean
10-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Nice looking shop...

g

Jeff Weir
10-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Altheus has a shop near me, it's in Rye NY. Yes, the shop looks great. But for some reason, I can't seem to warm up to it. A bit too perfect? Selection WAY too limited. To their credit, everything is layed out perfectly..really well done. But they don't carry a large range within a product category. Elitist attiude? Maybe. That all depends upon which side of the fence your on. ie: don't bother going into the place with a kids bike that needs a new tire or kickstand. Their market is the customer that is willing to spend some serious cash. If it isn't pretty (as in stylish), they won't be selling it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the store is a bit too perfect for me. I much prefer a shop that has some personality and/or history to it.

Sandy
10-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Altheus has a shop near me, it's in Rye NY. Yes, the shop looks great. But for some reason, I can't seem to warm up to it. A bit too perfect? Selection WAY too limited. To their credit, everything is layed out perfectly..really well done. But they don't carry a large range within a product category. Elitist attiude? Maybe. That all depends upon which side of the fence your on. ie: don't bother going into the place with a kids bike that needs a new tire or kickstand. Their market is the customer that is willing to spend some serious cash. If it isn't pretty (as in stylish), they won't be selling it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the store is a bit too perfect for me. I much prefer a shop that has some personality and/or history to it.

I can relate to what you say. Unfortunately, I am too perfect to Kevan. I wish that I was simply a bit too perfect for Kevan, or not perfect at all, or really poor for Kevan..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mr. Perfect,

Sandy

Ginger
10-11-2006, 08:16 PM
. mama said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all

atmo
10-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Looks like a tri-geek bike store. And yes. I apologize to ever tri-geek on the forum and every single one I know.

We have one (not that store...but a tri-geek store) in the general area...I can't warm up to it either...but if I show some cleavage I get waited on.
now you know why i wait to reply to those emails atmo.
go ahead - make my day.

Ginger
10-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Dang, you're quick with that quote...

Jeff Weir
10-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Ginger,
I haven't tried the cleavage thing. This weekend I'll put on a low cut tank top and see what happens. I've got to remember to bring ice cubes for the full effect.

Ginger
10-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Ah Jim...it's only a known fact for that particular shop. i don't know if it works for ALL tri-geek stores.

And who knows...maybe they've gotten over it.

In any case, remember to take pictures and post them here. Icecubes or no.

Evidently it might work for Richard though...

atmo
10-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Dang, you're quick with that quote...
not quick enough -
juno.com is down. that makes me down. no
email. mebbe pm that cle, cle, cleav... thing
and i'll try to remember what it was i was
supposed to reply about atmo.

dbrk
10-11-2006, 08:32 PM
The "austere," precise, few option shops that I admire look like they've been on their message for a very, very long time, like Singer in Paris or Jitensha in Berkeley. You don't expect to get anything or everything in these places but what you get, well, you almost can't get elsewhere. These folks know who they are and they've not forgotten nor are they looking to the next trend. When austere turns to slick advertizing displays of the latest greatest, well, what's to love? Smells like another mall.
I don't resent what folks do to make a living and I wish any one selling bikes success ('cause it's hard to make a go), but it's pretty clear to me in about 30 seconds whether I'm gonna stay more than 30 more seconds in a shop.

And I'm also particularly fond of shops with lots of junkers, users, commuters, broken kid's bikes getting fixed, and piles of stuff that you see everywhere, nothing concealed, nothing antiseptic, and special points when the mechanics are in plain sight working. My local shop is a one man (mostly) show and this fella' loves all bikes---ridden, for show, old, new, but mostly what he does is fix things, build things, and offer a welcoming presence to everything with pedals and wheels.

dbrk

manet
10-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Ginger,
I haven't tried the cleavage thing. This weekend I'll put on a low cut tank top and see what happens. I've got to remember to bring ice cubes for the full effect.

so you're the 'dude' A.L. and i see in the park _ we call you singlet.

Jeff Weir
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I'll try to find the sexy top I used to wear when I was in the Slammer.

It worked real well in there. I got all the service I needed.

Ginger
10-11-2006, 08:42 PM
not quick enough -
juno.com is down. that makes me down. no
email. mebbe pm that cle, cle, cleav... thing
and i'll try to remember what it was i was
supposed to reply about atmo.

Isn't that the way it goes. If ya can't get it up, ya ain't gett'n any.

(did I just type that? Someone take my lunch tray away!)

And actually...closest thing I've ever seen to that sort of picture of me was taken at the Ramble.

atmo
10-11-2006, 08:45 PM

that needs to be quoted so it'll live forever here atmo.
i'll put my teeth in and call you atmo.

ChamUK
10-11-2006, 08:49 PM

I've actually been to the Altheus shop in Rye, and I know what you mean by not warming up to it. I also checked out Signature Cycles on the Upper West Side. I really don't know what to make of it. They had maybe ten bikes on display-four of which were Meivicis, 2 ottrotts, one cour d'whatever, a couple of Gurus, and a seven ti. That's it. They had a living room set up, with a stocked bar and a plasma screen, 2 sizing areas, and small selection of Assos clothing. Like Altheus, the wrench area wasn't visible-which to me is plain WRONG. They either want to hide something, or it's too low brow. I don't get it. I do want to say though, that the dudes working at Altheus and SIGNATURE were nice, and they seemed knowledgable.
I don't know if their target buyers are hardcore roadies, or just people who want to buy the best, with the best service. I just know there was nothing for me to buy at either of these places with regards to clothing or some other gear that I needed. It's worth a visit though-just for the experience.
BTW, the most impressive bike to my eye at Signature was a custom painted ottrott-it was H O T ! ! !

Jeff Weir
10-11-2006, 08:52 PM
that needs to be quoted so it'll live forever here atmo.
i'll put my teeth in and call you atmo.

Ginger
10-11-2006, 08:52 PM
....When austere turns to slick advertizing displays of the latest greatest, well, what's to love? Smells like another mall. ...
And I'm also particularly fond of shops with lots of junkers, users, commuters, broken kid's bikes getting fixed, and piles of stuff that you see everywhere, nothing concealed, nothing antiseptic, and special points when the mechanics are in plain sight working. My local shop is a one man (mostly) show and this fella' loves all bikes---ridden, for show, old, new, but mostly what he does is fix things, build things, and offer a welcoming presence to everything with pedals and wheels.

dbrk
Yes.

Grant McLean
10-11-2006, 08:57 PM
... but it's pretty clear to me in about 30 seconds whether I'm gonna stay more than 30 more seconds in a shop.

dbrk

I think that could be the goal. I have a pal in the high end hi-fi business,
who sells 2 channel gear from England. About 99% of the walk in traffic
is looking for something he doesn't sell, and he doesn't waste a lot of time
explaining why his CD players start at $3k. He's not there to 'make friends'
and hang out with people all day, it's his job.

These types of shops don't really need the standard retail traffic, as I would
think almost all their business is referals and repeat clients. If you're a
serious customer for a high end product, this is the kind of environment where
I personally would like to do business. I also bet a good chunk of their sales
are done after regular business hours, when their clients have the time.

As almost every bike shop in North America jumps on the road-bike band wagon,
I think a lot of cyclists are looking for great service, in a clean and modern
environment that matches more of their expectations for a retail experience,
like say, having a suit made. It doesn't help that many old-school bikeshops
don't seem to own a vaccuum. That may be quaint like rummaging around
at a swapmeet, but that's not where I would drop 10 large.

Retail can be theatre. Look at the Apple store glass cube on 5th ave.
There were thousands of people lined up outside at their grand opening.
That was cool.

http://www.apple.com/retail/

g

atmo
10-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Retail can be theatre.

g

BIJAN ATMO

Jeff Weir
10-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Grant,
Do me a favor. If you ever see in line for the grand opening of an Apple store, please shoot me.

xoxo

(You are right, retail can be theatre.)

Grant McLean
10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Grant,
Do me a favor. If you ever see in line for the grand opening of an Apple store, please shoot me.
xoxo

I don't makes them rules, I just try to follow them...

:)

g

Ginger
10-11-2006, 09:19 PM
...I think a lot of cyclists are looking for great service, in a clean and modern
environment that matches more of their expectations for a retail experience,
like say, having a suit made....
Retail can be theatre.

g

I'm not fond of the mall style/one step up from a concept bike shop. (and somewhere in the article someone makes a statement that they can get a custom bike to a customer in a day or two? Custom build is what they must mean, custom frame? I bet not.)

The most interesting bike shop concept I have come across is an appointment only high end shop. You can't just walk in and look around. Exclusive stuff, top flight wrench to work on your bike in a spotless, comfortable environment.

dbrk
10-11-2006, 09:30 PM
snip... It doesn't help that many old-school bikeshops
don't seem to own a vaccuum. That may be quaint like rummaging around
at a swapmeet, but that's not where I would drop 10 large.
g

That'd be the only place I'd spend 10 large. But to each his/her own, it's so'kay by me...

dbrk

obtuse
10-11-2006, 09:35 PM
i spend a good deal of my working day trying to make my shop more pro....but in the end you're still buying a relationship with what is essentially a personality. go to a shop like that rye thing and or go to a hole in the wall with fifteen years of grit on the floor and in the end it really doesn't matter; you can buy the product they sell, a bicycle anywhere....what you can't buy anywhere is a relationship that meets your needs. pick a bike shop based on the people there; the integrity you witness, the value you find, the knowledge and experience around and the fun you have. you aren't picking a dentist....this bullshi'ite is supposed to be fun.

two of my favorite stores in all the world are the armani store in boston and shine racing service in walpole. they have nothing in common. the first is a slick boutique that serves me espresso with lots of glitz and style and vague/gay techno awesomeness....the second is a garage that sells shi'ite that makes vws go really, really fast. none of it is on display; cylinder heads are lying on the floor; the only place to sit is on old office chairs with three legs or old engine blocks and you're not even going to find the place unless you know exactly what you want and what you need **** and his boys to do to make your vw go fast.....nonetheless, while they work on your car they'll let you order chinese food when the rest of the guys order lunch.....

so anyway; if you're going to be a weird-o who spends alot of time in a bike shop find one that is run by other weird-o's you trust and get along with....

obtuse

shameless plug: www.srsvw.com

manet
10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
It doesn't help that many old-school bikeshops
don't seem to own a vaccuum.

bring your vacuum to TK's office

Grant McLean
10-11-2006, 09:39 PM
That'd be the only place I'd spend 10 large. But to each his/her own, it's so'kay by me...

dbrk

That's why you live in a log house on a big piece of property,
and I live in a modern mid-town loft condo... :) :) :)

g

obtuse
10-11-2006, 09:44 PM
That's why you live in a log house on a big piece of property,
and I live in a modern mid-town loft condo... :) :) :)

g

no grant,

you live there because you don't have a driver's license and the commute from the fingerlakes to toronto would be a bihac even on a de rosa king; fder clamp or no.

obtuse

dbrk
10-11-2006, 10:32 PM
snip....but in the end you're still buying a relationship with what is essentially a personality. go to a shop like that rye thing and or go to a hole in the wall with fifteen years of grit on the floor and in the end it really doesn't matter; you can buy the product they sell, a bicycle anywhere....what you can't buy anywhere is a relationship that meets your needs. pick a bike shop based on the people there; the integrity you witness, the value you find, the knowledge and experience around and the fun you have...snipping out fun, true stuff here...
obtuse

You have to feel comfortable. I agree with both obtuse and grant because both are making the point that you have to know yourself and that everything is about the relationship and the context. Know yourself and figure out who knows what you don't and the rest is making the connection. As for selling or pleasing others, I'm distinctly unqualified and lucky enough to be completely uninterested.

dbrk

Grant McLean
10-11-2006, 10:42 PM
You have to feel comfortable. I agree with both obtuse and grant because both are making the point that you have to know yourself and that everything is about the relationship and the context. Know yourself and figure out who knows what you don't and the rest is making the connection. As for selling or pleasing others, I'm distinctly unqualified and lucky enough to be completely uninterested.

dbrk

that pretty much says it all...

thanks

g

catulle
10-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Some stores seem to be there in order to offer you what you need or what you are after, and they are pleased to be able to do that. Other stores seem to be there just to make you part with your money the sooner the better. (Of course, by stores I mean the owners of the stores or the people that work there or whatever.)

Different strokes for different folks.

catulle
10-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Obtuse at Armani shop = Enrico Berlinger :help:

10-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Ginger!

And actually...closest thing I've ever seen to that sort of picture of me was taken at the Ramble.

oracle
10-11-2006, 11:35 PM
gnothi seuton

Climb01742
10-12-2006, 06:07 AM
for me, the biggest (and most consistent) failing of bike shops is their service. delivering what they promise, when they promise, and done right. i can't count the number of times i've gone to pick up a bike that's been tweaked somehow and it usually isn't ready, or what was done wasn't done the way it was requested, or i get it home and something is still off.

just general sloppiness. i love shops with soul. i love seeing wrenches wrenching. i love seeing a certain jumble of gear. i love seeing lots of tattoos and piercings and pants cut off just below the knee and faded cinelli caps. but does mellow always cost have to the customer precision? my guess is these new shops are trying to meet this shortcoming...but sadly they are creating their own shortcoming of soul. it'd be nice not to have to choose between soul and service.

Grant McLean
10-12-2006, 07:15 AM
for me, the biggest (and most consistent) failing of bike shops is their service. delivering what they promise, when they promise, and done right. i can't count the number of times i've gone to pick up a bike that's been tweaked somehow and it usually isn't ready, or what was done wasn't done the way it was requested, or i get it home and something is still off.

just general sloppiness. i love shops with soul. i love seeing wrenches wrenching. i love seeing a certain jumble of gear. i love seeing lots of tattoos and piercings and pants cut off just below the knee and faded cinelli caps. but does mellow always cost have to the customer precision? my guess is these new shops are trying to meet this shortcoming...but sadly they are creating their own shortcoming of soul. it'd be nice not to have to choose between soul and service.

You must have seen some cool shops in Italy, no?

g

neverraced
10-12-2006, 07:28 AM
You don't need cleavage--just be over 40 and browsing carbon bikes, you'll get all the attention you've ever craved.

Altheus in NYC --- Nice roomy, easy to browse. Nice bikes, not a ton of accessories to look at but some stuff not seen in other shops, i.e. wet suits. Clearly aimed at the fitness rider with a ton of cash, which in this country usually is 40+ years old but in NYC is 22+ years old.

manet
10-12-2006, 07:44 AM
shopping can build an appetite, so afterwards, take a walk down to http://www.pommesfrites.ws/ _ kill the day.

amg
10-12-2006, 08:20 AM
I miss Emmie's (sp?) bike shop on E.17th. The place was a dump and Emmie looked like he just escaped from Creedmor, but the place was interesting. He had all kinds of nice vintage bikes tucked all over the shop. I think that was the last "shop" in NYC.

Antonio

OldDog
10-12-2006, 08:48 AM
The only high-brow bike shop I have been to is Cadence in Manayunk, same marketing plan as those mentioned here. The atmosphere was as cold as the south pole. Spent a bit of time walking the store and not even a "hi, can I help you". I'll concede that I do not look like a young starved euro pro wannabe but maybe the kids working htese shops might consider I have a bankroll to spend on bikes and trinkets.

I guess I don't get it, why anyone would drop big bucks for a bike at a boutique when you can visit ATMO at home or TK at his barn and get a rig made for YOU that rivils anything else out there.

Kevan
10-12-2006, 08:57 AM
a bunch of me pals and me took a bike ride to the shore (Rye) back during the Spring, and I detoured the group to find this highfalutin shop. Rode right past it. Didn't even look like a bike shop from the outside. As I recall... there wasn't a bike in the window. Eventually we found the shop, went inside and were greeted by a team of matching polo shirts. The shop is definitely sexed up, you can smell that smell of newly cured CF epoxy. I'm sure it's the rage; I'm sure they do excellent work, but there's no character, no patina. The backroom is the staging area for building the six million dollar man.

I suppose my favorite-looking serious shop would be Conrads located in Tudor City, in NYC, here's a write-up from the Village Voice website:

"Best Stores: Sometimes location isn't everything. Conrad's Bike Shop (25 Tudor City Pl, 212-697-6966) has been located on the ground floor of Tudor Tower for 30 years. About the size of a large one-bedroom apartment, the store mostly caters to a serious road bike and racing clientele. Over the years they've built bikes for Dustin Hoffman, Jerry Seinfeld, Michael Romano (chef at Union Square Café), and Bob Weir (singer for the Dead). "People sort of find us," says counterman John Tsang. Along with the bike store are the aforementioned delis, a nail salon, a Great Cuts hair salon, a dry cleaners, the charming little post office, and strangely, a balloon store. Like the bike shop, Michael George Flowers (5 Tudor City Place, 212-883-0304) caters to a high-end clientele. The shop and its owner's taste for elegant but simple arrangements have been featured in national magazines like Vogue, House Beautiful, Harper's Bazaar, and Martha Stewart Living. "

A sponsored team: http://www.jt10000.com/team/about.htm

Here's some more detail: http://www.nyvelocity.com/content.php?id=69

One of my friends purchased his Seven from this shop and I stopped by later to check out the store. When I went, the only thing I saw there was an impressive display of repaired bikes waiting for their owners to come pick them up. It was a Who's Who of frames and parts.

The displays were small, but there was no doubt about the caliber of their products and services. And it has patina.

davids
10-12-2006, 09:02 AM
You don't need cleavage--just be over 40 and browsing carbon bikes, you'll get all the attention you've ever craved.
I did that (be over 40 and browsing the high-fashion carbon bikes), and got a salesperson who tried (in a very charming way) to shove his preferences down my throat. When I asked to ride a Fierte Ti - in addition to the high-priced big-company carbon offerings - he told me I wouldn't like it. Luckily for me, I knew better.

There are salespeople who listen to their (potential) customers, and try to meet their needs, and there are salespeople who don't. And I've found that even the best shops have both kinds.

So, I'll agree with Obtuse - It's the relationships that count most. Not surprisingly, he's one of the guys who makes these relationships.

I'd say the next most important thing is the bike guys' knowledge of/access to the appropriate products for their customers. That, and a good service shop!

Grant McLean
10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
So, I'll agree with Obtuse - It's the relationships that count most. Not surprisingly, he's one of the guys who makes these relationships.

Take this with my retail-background grain of rocksalt...

That's bull. There is no "relationship" because the customer is free to
buy stuff from who ever they please, while the shop is expected to perform
some miracle of mind reading and hand holding.

I've had the experience a thousand times... you spend a week with a guy
over a custom order, deal with their dozens of changes of decisions, and
finally deliver the goods. Next time you see them, there's a new saddle,
new shoes, new helmet bought somewhere else...

Relationship indeed...

g

Tom
10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
I watched the head mechanic at a shop take a walk in who's bike wasn't shifting well, do the very basic adjustments after inviting the person to watch them and while he did it he explained exactly what he was doing and then he did a quick check over again explaining everything. He probably spent ten minutes or more of his time. Charged five bucks. Where do you think that person will buy their next bike?

They could be like the person Grant just described but maybe not. It's like farming. Plant a lot of seeds, some come up.

BTW, where you think I spend all my bike money? Where they don't laugh at me when I f--k up a chain install. Hey, I'd been up all night for work and my mind was clouded -that's my story and I'm sticking to it. But I go there to buy stuff because they do right by me.

J.Greene
10-12-2006, 09:46 AM
This might be the only time I've disagreed with you G, but it's all reationship. I've started going to a trek shop for christsakes because I like the guy who is there during my lunch hour. I hate trek, but this shop is ok. I have even gotten over the lance love fest that decorates the walls.

When I was hired for my first sales job out of college my boss said to me..... " J, people will do business with you for two reasons and two reasons only...they'll trust you and they will like you. Work on that and you'll be OK. Oh, your also losing your hair so you look older too."

JG

g

davids
10-12-2006, 09:49 AM

Relationship indeed...

g
I don't buy everything from my favorite shops. Yes, I've been known to buy stuff from Internet retailers for the lowest price I can find. In most cases, however, those purchases have been for small-ticket items - tires, socks, even a couple of saddles. (I won't include the wheels I've purchased on-line in this category - Odds & Endos is another favorite shop, atmo...)

What I count on my bike stores for, however, is the 'value-added' stuff - fitting work, test-rides and building/tuning my bikes. Stuff I can't do myself, and items that I couldn't buy or make functional without the support of a store. And I willingly pay a premium (over the super-deep Internet discounts) on those things, because I know that the expertise - the mind-reading and hand-holding - that comes with those things is worth the money.

I don't think I'm terribly inconsistent about this, either. When the experiment with my orginal Nove handlebars didn't work out, I went back to WW to swap the Eastons for the 3TTTs. And when WW couldn't track the 3TTTs down, I located a source and shared it with WW. Likewise, I started out on my own in that quixotic search for the 30.9 WCS post. I ended up buying it at WW.

I don't think I'm a paragon of consumer virtue. But I do try to honor my local shops by paying for the value they add.

catulle
10-12-2006, 09:58 AM

I've had the experience a thousand times... you spend a week with a guy
over a custom order, deal with their dozens of changes of decisions, and
finally deliver the goods. Next time you see them, there's a new saddle,
new shoes, new helmet bought somewhere else...

Relationship indeed...

g

I think the Internet has a lot to do with it. That is, now days you can get important discounts and also personable service buying from the Internet. Thus, no matter how nice and knowledgeable your lbs people might be, if you can buy the saddle the lbs sells for $220 from a nice and knowledgeable Internet dealer for $180, you'll probably buy some of your stuff where the price is lower.

What I really don't like is when you visit a store and you get attitude on top of steep prices, which happens all too often. Or when the marketing plan is so obvious and hedious. Or when they profile you and assume you're an idiot, which also happens all too often. Well, I guess it is a problem when you look like an idiot anyway, but just the same, the lbs people ought to know better than that. Finally, I hate BS; and in their zeal to sell merchants all too often don't realize how evident their BS can be, or how smelly and repugnant.

On the other hand, I have bought cycling things where I've meant to pay more than what I've been charged, except that it might have been awkward if I had done so. Many people are passionate about cycling, but all too many merchants don't seem to realize it or care.

Grant McLean
10-12-2006, 10:03 AM
This might be the only time I've disagreed with you G, but it's all reationship. I've started going to a trek shop for christsakes because I like the guy who is there during my lunch hour. I hate trek, but this shop is ok. I have even gotten over the lance love fest that decorates the walls.

When I was hired for my first sales job out of college my boss said to me..... " J, people will do business with you for two reasons and two reasons only...they'll trust you and they will like you. Work on that and you'll be OK. Oh, your also losing your hair so you look older too."

JG

I don't think we disagree. It's just that the relationship is one sided...
(kinda like a girl i dated in college....but that's a story for another time)
So calling it a "relationship" implies that there is some committment on the
part of the customer, and that's just not the way it is... and that's ok
with me, thems the rules. Retailers shouldn't do things they don't want
to do, becuase they feel they will get loyalty out of it, and then get bitter
if they don't. Like others said, treat people fair and if you know your job,
and can understand what people want and set your own personal feelings
aside, you'll do fine.

g

Climb01742
10-12-2006, 10:11 AM
retail is a tough nexus between seller and buyer. buyers feel they've burned by retailers at some point. retailers feel they've been burned by buyers at some point. this baggage is the backstory of 90% of retail transactions.

my ex-wife worked in retail for years (bloomies and bergdorf's in nyc) and cursed the existence everyday. when, of course, she wasn't cursing me.

catulle
10-12-2006, 10:15 AM
(kinda like a girl i dated in college....but that's a story for another time)
So calling it a "relationship" implies that there is some committment on the
part of the customer, and that's just not the way it is... and that's ok
with me, thems the rules. Retailers shouldn't do things they don't want
to do, becuase they feel they will get loyalty out of it, and then get bitter
if they don't. Like others said, treat people fair and if you know your job,
aside, you'll do fine.

g

I don't think you have to set your feelings aside; as a matter of fact, that might be a problem. If you have to do something with your feelings is to channel them in the right direction, and that's in respecting and trying to understand and accept your client. Gosh, sorry Grant, that sounds awful, sounds like something from a poor Dr. Phil. Oh well, if you were my lbs you'd probably be seeing a lot of me anyway. :beer:

Grant McLean
10-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't think you have to set your feelings aside; as a matter of fact, that might be a problem. If you have to do something with your feelings is to channel them in the right direction, and that's in respecting and trying to understand and accept your client. Gosh, sorry Grant, that sounds awful, sounds like something from a poor Dr. Phil. Oh well, if you were my lbs you'd probably be seeing a lot of me anyway. :beer:

Actually, i meant "personal preferences" aside not really "personal feelings".
Someone else said it earlier, a lot of shops get themselves into trouble
by not listening and trying to force their opinion on their customers -
but some people feel it's a fine line between advice and preaching.

g

J.Greene
10-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Like others said, treat people fair and if you know your job,
aside, you'll do fine.

g

I agree with the above. I do strongly believe in the relationship, but retail is also not monagomous. I love my sachs, and my hampsten, and my serotta etc... I try to give back to the two shops I visit by sending them business. So from my respectful pov it is not onesided.

JG

Grant McLean
10-12-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree with the above. I do strongly believe in the relationship, but retail is also not monagomous. I love my sachs, and my hampsten, and my serotta etc... I try to give back to the two shops I visit by sending them business. So from my respectful pov it is not onesided.

JG

It's fun to play around, I hope E-Richie doesn't mind we spend some
time with the other girls, as long as we come home eventually!

g

J.Greene
10-12-2006, 12:35 PM
It's fun to play around, I hope E-Richie doesn't mind we spend some time with the other girls, as long as we come home eventually!

g

They are all good. I need to spread some love around the garage. The hampsten has been getting most of the love lately.

I'm hoping with Interbike over JB will be getting us back together soon for round 2.

JG

Benjamin
10-12-2006, 01:46 PM
i love shops with soul. i love seeing wrenches wrenching. i love seeing a certain jumble of gear. i love seeing lots of tattoos and piercings and pants cut off just below the knee and faded cinelli caps. but does mellow always cost have to the customer precision?

likewise.

i like walking in to a shop like Bike Works on the lower east side and working with people who have obviously lived and breathed bikes for their whole life. the shop is dark and cluttered with stuff, messengers go there, the language is bad and there's an open beer. these are people who can not only install your campy record 10 speed, but also have the tools on hand to tap a BB shell or cold set the rear triangle on your steel frame.

anyway, i stopped in to this new shop about a month ago when i was frame shopping. it's attached to the new york sports club (or crunch or one of those), and it's very big and bright and clean looking, probably attracting affluent yuppie customers from health club.

they had a very nice, high-end inventory of serotta, look, orbea, maybe cervelo. i can't remember. didn't see any wrenching facilities, but i doubt they have more than the capability to do basic hex-wrench-type adjustments.

the staff was a couple of young dudes in khakis and polo shirts, but the guy i talked to was very nice and spent a lot of time with me discussing orbea frames, not pushy at all (and i rolled up on my track bike - not looking like their typical customer). he seemed to know his stuff, but i wouldn't trust him to install a headset.

there's a similar store geared towards triathletes on 58th street near 7th ave called SBR. i've never seen so many iced out aero tri bikes in one place.

Grant McLean
10-12-2006, 05:59 PM
..., but i doubt they have more than the capability to do basic hex-wrench-type adjustments.

the staff was a couple of young dudes in khakis and polo shirts, but the guy i talked to was very nice and spent a lot of time with me discussing orbea frames, not pushy at all (and i rolled up on my track bike - not looking like their typical customer). he seemed to know his stuff, but i wouldn't trust him to install a headset.

The article posted a ways back mentioned they have a full service shop
in their basement. Retail rented floor space is often a very expensive
place to put workstands. I like the visible shop too, but there are many
high service shops with the shop in another location. The original wheelsmith
store in Palo Alto comes to mind. Our shop has 1,000 sq.ft of service off
the sales floor, 6 full time wrenches, but because people don't see it after
two seconds, some assume we don't do service. whatever.

g

ThasFACE
10-12-2006, 11:06 PM
I do want to say though, that the dudes working at ... SIGNATURE were nice, and they seemed knowledgable.

I dropped by Signature today and they couldn't have been nicer. Got a tour of the place and shot the sh*t a little bit. Solid place. Makes me want a custom Serotta that much more.