PDA

View Full Version : Crashes: Frame damage...

Kevan
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
A new thread started in the classified section regarding a well-used and occasionally crashed Serotta has me wondering. In my limited experience on the subject, I believe in most cases when a rider goes down the bike's frame and fork are remarkably resilient to damage. I think the reason why is because they are generally protected by other contact points: the wheelset, saddle, pedals and bars. Would you agree?

Does the word “crashed” automatically mean there has to be a major depreciation to the value of a bike? That doesn’t seem fair if only a saddle gets scuffed up and bar tape needs replacing. Even if a brifter had to be replaced, so what? Would you even bother mentioning the event, if you were to later sell the bike and there were no signs of any damage?

Jeff Weir
10-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Why don't you come clean Kevan?

This sounds to me like your about to unload a wrecked bike to some poor sucker on ebay.

I'm so dissapointed........

Kevan
10-11-2006, 12:02 PM
How about them Mets?!

David Kirk
10-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Being crashed by no means indicates that the frame is damaged or compromised. It certainly could mean that there is problem but it's possible to crash and frame and do zero damage to it.

It's just impossible to tell from photos in an eBay ad.

Dave

marle
10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Kevan please stop think about crashing. Keep your thoughts on British Ales :beer:

Kevan
10-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Kevan please stop think about crashing. Keep your thoughts on British Ales :beer:

where you've been? Didn't see you at the closing ceremonies last weekend. October's century ride is likely scheduled for the weekend of the 21st. I think Jeff's joining us.

Candy corn is going to be my Powerbar.

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Save the (British) Ales! :eek:

BBD

Kevan
10-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Save the (British) Ales! :eek:

BBD

for whatever ales you.

marle
10-11-2006, 02:20 PM
where you've been? Didn't see you at the closing ceremonies last weekend. October's century ride is likely scheduled for the weekend of the 21st. I think Jeff's joining us.

I've been lurking. I would love to join you on the 21st. Let's cross the Bear Mt Bridge and climb Perkins before all the leaves are gone.

Ginger
10-11-2006, 06:47 PM
I think the reason why is because they are generally protected by other contact points: the wheelset, saddle, pedals and bars. Would you agree?

You forgot a contact point for the bike in a crash...the rider. :)

atmo
10-11-2006, 07:18 PM
You forgot a contact point for the bike in a crash...the rider. :)
you're a sharpie atmo.
a rider's contact point is his email address iirc.

Ginger
10-11-2006, 07:35 PM
finepoint?

Believe it or not...I know riders who do NOT have email addresses!
I haven't asked their bikes what they think of the situation, but I'm sure they're concerned.