PDA

View Full Version : need advice on a cheap wheel

martianbait
10-11-2006, 11:35 AM
My company has an office in San Diego that I travel to about once every 6 weeks. I'm there for a week at a time, and in the past I've rented or transported my own bike to keep fit and indulge my passion during the non-working hours. I've spent enough on these options just to buy a second bike and keep it in SD....

So I have this spare frame that is just begging to be built up. It's nothing fancy--a KHS aluminum road frame. My plan is to keep it at our office in San Diego and use it when I'm there. However, I don't want to invest a lot of money into this project since I'm unsure of the security or even where I could store it.

I will need wheels. I have looked into a build of Mavic CXP22 rims with Shimano 105 hubs, but I don't have any experience with either. The cost is right--$145 for the set. Advice would be welcome. :)

Kevan
10-11-2006, 12:09 PM
the roads in the immediate San Diego city area rate as a "poor". You might want to consider, and I'm not saying the wheelset you mentioned can't, a wheel that can take the urban assault. 32 spoke, 3 cross.

PaulE
10-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Sign up for Performance Bike's sale emails. Every once in a while they have a coupon code for 10% or 20% off, even sale items. Then you can get a pair of wheels with Open Pro CD's, Wheelsmith double butted spokes and Ultegra 10 speed hubs for around $200.

Brons2
10-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Sign up for Performance Bike's sale emails. Every once in a while they have a coupon code for 10% or 20% off, even sale items. Then you can get a pair of wheels with Open Pro CD's, Wheelsmith double butted spokes and Ultegra 10 speed hubs for around $200.

That seems awfully low. Are you sure on that?

crossjunkee
10-11-2006, 02:49 PM
This is a nice set for the money.

http://www.schwabcycles.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1108601572

Ken Robb
10-11-2006, 02:49 PM
do you need Campy or Shimano wheels?

PaulE
10-11-2006, 03:04 PM

Right now they have a set on sale for $230 but there's no 10 or 20% off (there was 20% off last Friday). Over the summer I bought a set for this price and there was a 10% off code. They were described then as Open Pro CD rims, Wheelsmith double butted spokes and Ultegra 9 sp hubs, but when they came, they actually had Ultegra 10 sp hubs instead. Their current listing doesn't say what spokes are used, but you can always ask. If you keep an eye on them, they always have something on sale.

dirtdigger88
10-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Ive been playing with a wheelset of 105/Open Pros on my Kirk-

I think they are a fine wheelset-

Ill even let you in on a little secret- two wheelset- both on open pro rims- both with like spokes- one set is Dura Ace-10 one is 105-9

The 105 wheelset is lighter- :D

go figure

Jason

Big Dan
10-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Performance code

6002331-10% off should work until 10/13/2006. Used it a couple of days ago.

:)

weisan
10-11-2006, 04:58 PM
do you need Campy or Shimano wheels?
Yes, Ken...I am listenin' :D

shinomaster
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM

Cross hommie....do you have experience with those? I was looking at the xero xr1....dt spokes etc...and a bit lighter.

crossjunkee
10-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Cross hommie....do you have experience with those? I was looking at the xero xr1....dt spokes etc...and a bit lighter.

I was with my friend when purchased a pair from Schwab. He's a forum user too, Bozman. I'll shoot him a note and tell him to chime in.

I think Schwab told us the company was owned by Campy, but I can't swear to it. Maybe Boz will remember the details. The build quality was amazing, especially for the price.

shinomaster
10-11-2006, 08:16 PM
I was with my friend when purchased a pair from Schwab. He's a forum user too, Bozman. I'll shoot him a note and tell him to chime in.

I think Schwab told us the company was owned by Campy, but I can't swear to it. Maybe Boz will remember the details. The build quality was amazing, especially for the price.

Thanks for the info...I have seen them up close and do do seen nicely made. The silver ones are pretty sweet. Post a muddy picture of your bike!! :banana:

jemoryl
10-11-2006, 09:22 PM

They appear to be decent wheels for the money. There is someone on eBay who always has these wheels with a buy it now of $200/pr. Xero is the wheel brand of the Formula hub company in Taiwan - I'd be surprised if Campy owns that. You can google up their website.

I'm quite happy with a pair of Velocity Nuvian wheels that I bought for around $220. These are conventional wheels built up with Aerohead rims (OC rear), Wheelsmith DB spokes and Velocity hubs (rebadged Formulas, seem ok). From what I gather, they are built up at Velocity USA in MI, so you have some latitude on how they are built (rim color, holes, lacing). The wheelbuilding on mine is sound - no problems after ca. 6000 mi.

Ken Robb
10-11-2006, 10:21 PM
I've got an almost new set of Spinergy SR3 wheels in San Diego that I'd sell for $175. campy hub.

bozman
10-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Shinomaster - Crossjunkie is partially correct. He was with me when I purchased my Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels from Schwab ($250.) I do like the Fulcrum 5's and Fulcrum is owned by Campy. I needed a cheap pair to get me through the Fall and these have worked out nicely.

crossjunkee
10-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Geez, I was way off! Sorry guys.

That would explain the Taiwanese connection on Xero's. Fulcrum is owned by Campy, I knew I at least heard that. It's been a busy week!

shinomaster
10-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Geez, I was way off! Sorry guys.

That would explain the Taiwanese connection on Xero's. Fulcrum is owned by Campy, I knew I at least heard that. It's been a busy week!

Hey thanks for trying! I have read some reviews of those wheels at roadbikereview.com and most are good. The only problem that big people seem to have is that they are not super stiff laterally.

martianbait
10-12-2006, 12:18 PM

Yeah, I had looked at these. I really didn't know much about them. Have you had experience?

Orin
10-12-2006, 12:19 PM
They appear to be decent wheels for the money. There is someone on eBay who always has these wheels with a buy it now of $200/pr. Xero is the wheel brand of the Formula hub company in Taiwan - I'd be surprised if Campy owns that. You can google up their website.

I'm quite happy with a pair of Velocity Nuvian wheels that I bought for around $220. These are conventional wheels built up with Aerohead rims (OC rear), Wheelsmith DB spokes and Velocity hubs (rebadged Formulas, seem ok). From what I gather, they are built up at Velocity USA in MI, so you have some latitude on how they are built (rim color, holes, lacing). The wheelbuilding on mine is sound - no problems after ca. 6000 mi.

Chuck's Bikes have some of the Nuvians... along with quite a good selection of closeout parts. www.chucksbikes.com. The Easton Vista SLs look like a reasonably good, not too heavy choice.

Orin.

martianbait
10-12-2006, 12:20 PM
I've got an almost new set of Spinergy SR3 wheels in San Diego that I'd sell for $175. campy hub.

Thanks for the offer, Ken, but all my stuff is Shimano. Just to stay cheap, I'd like to stay with that right now. Perhaps we can hook up for a ride the next time I'm there, though.

martianbait
10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
the roads in the immediate San Diego city area rate as a "poor". You might want to consider, and I'm not saying the wheelset you mentioned can't, a wheel that can take the urban assault. 32 spoke, 3 cross.

I've ridden some of them. The roads are pretty decent, it's the traffic that s*cks. Bike lanes on very busy roads.

Compared to many of the roads I travel on currently in Massachusetts, though, I can't complain about the quality of the roads themselves. But your point is well taken. 32 spoke, 3 cross is preferred.

crossjunkee
10-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I had looked at these. I really didn't know much about them. Have you had experience?

It was the Fulcrum wheelset that my friend purchased. So I'm sorry, I don't know much about the wheel I gave you the link to.

Check roadbikereview.com or just give Schwab a call. If you call Schwab, ask for Jim. He's nice, and knows what he's talking about.

TimD
10-12-2006, 03:58 PM

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile_combo.cfm?SKU=19253&estore_ID=&subcategory_ID=5320&CFID=86731311&CFTOKEN=25994593

jemoryl
10-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Chuck's Bikes have some of the Nuvians... along with quite a good selection of closeout parts. www.chucksbikes.com. The Easton Vista SLs look like a reasonably good, not too heavy choice.

Orin.

Got my Nuvians from these guys: Alger Cycles (http://alger-cyclery.stores.yahoo.net/velroadaerwh.html) They are in MI and claim to be near Velocity USA. The guy I spoke with on the phone said one of his team sponsors is Velocity and he has raced on these wheels without problems. Gave him specs that were different from what is listed above (28 hole front/32 hole rear, grey rims) and he said no problem. Wheels arrived a few days later shipped directly from Velocity.

Kevan
10-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the offer, Ken, but all my stuff is Shimano. Just to stay cheap, I'd like to stay with that right now. Perhaps we can hook up for a ride the next time I'm there, though.

in someone's future.

theprep
10-13-2006, 10:55 AM
I think my Shimano 105 hubs laced to Mavic CXP 21 hoops are just what you are looking for. Here is a link:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21877

Theprep would never steer you wrong. :D

Cheers,

Ken Robb
10-13-2006, 11:02 AM
in someone's future.
yeah, I'm not much of a rider but I know where to get good grub cheap. Oh yeah, and then there's the microbrews on tap fo $3.50 a pint.

H.Frank Beshear
10-13-2006, 09:07 PM
yeah, I'm not much of a rider but I know where to get good grub cheap. Oh yeah, and then there's the microbrews on tap fo $3.50 a pint.

Yumm.. Ahi taco and yellow tail ale :D . Looking foward to the next ride and lunch. Frank