PDA

View Full Version : Anza-Borrego state park area - Cycling?

AngryScientist
03-27-2018, 08:05 AM
i'll be down south in a couple of weeks and trying to decide if i should bring a bike or not.

i've driven through the area a bit - any intel on the area of Anza-Borrego state park? specifically, if it's worth it to cycle around there, and if a road bike would do, or if a fat tyre flyer would be more appropriate?

what about Cuyamaca Rancho / Mt Laguna?

mhespenheide
03-27-2018, 08:29 AM
S22/Montezuma Valley Road from Borrego Springs up to Ranchita and back down is a great climb and descent. Call it a couple hours round-trip. The other riding around Borrego Springs and the rest of the park is okay but nothing fabulous.

Cuyumaca Rancho, Mt. Laguna, and on up to Palomar are all good riding.

A road bike with 28's would be good as the roads are not in great shape.

There's lots of great mountain biking out there, but the rides tend to be big and gnarly; most people are riding 27.5+ or 29+. I can't comment on any specifics, but you could check out the Stagecoach 400 route.

hollowgram5
03-27-2018, 08:38 AM
There's a group I know out of SD that does a "training camp" out in Borrego Springs.. I'll ask my buddy about roads and routes.

AngryScientist
03-27-2018, 08:39 AM
thanks guys. it's settled then, i will bring my road bike.

thanks for any continued tips for riding out that way. i could use a "training camp" kick in the behind lately.

Gummee
03-27-2018, 08:48 AM
I think Dan still runs a 'bike shop' out of Borrego Springs. I forget what he called it, but he was a client of mine 'back when.'

Great guy

There aren't a whole lot of roads out there. More trails.

Montezuma's Grade is a must drive/ride road. Banner Grade out the other side is good too, but not nearly as good a view

M

ptourkin
03-27-2018, 08:52 AM
S22/Montezuma Valley Road from Borrego Springs up to Ranchita and back down is a great climb and descent. Call it a couple hours round-trip. The other riding around Borrego Springs and the rest of the park is okay but nothing fabulous.

Cuyumaca Rancho, Mt. Laguna, and on up to Palomar are all good riding.

A road bike with 28's would be good as the roads are not in great shape.

There's lots of great mountain biking out there, but the rides tend to be big and gnarly; most people are riding 27.5+ or 29+. I can't comment on any specifics, but you could check out the Stagecoach 400 route.

We do a yearly training camp out there and it's local to me. As stated, Montezuma is a great climb. At the top you can turn south to Mt. Laguna or the other way to Cuyamaca, Julian, Palomar... if you're in for a big day. The roads in that direction are fine right now, but if you head the other way to the Salton Sea, you'll want some cushion. There's a section called Borrego Roubaix that is hellish. The sea is interesting though.

We ride and camp in the washes in the desert. As stated, that is all plus tire only as the sand can be intense. The Stagecoach route has some epic stuff coming out of the desert and you don't need to be plus for those trails but they're tough.

Mt. Laguna is where we do a lot of our climbing. There are 4 ways up. Kitchen Creek, Pine Creek and Sunrise Highway from either side. The first two are the most epic. Pine Creek is bumpy with a couple 26% pitches. Not as many people take it on. Kitchen is scenic with both pine mountain and desert views. The Sunrise Highway climbs are more moderate but also provide a great look.

I can link you to the 5 day training camp rides if you're staying in Borrego. I'll be out there the weekend of 4/20-21 working at Badwater Salton Sea with Chris Kostman, too.

AngryScientist
03-27-2018, 10:05 AM
awesome intel.

i'm looking forward to this more than i thought i would now. sweet.

Drmojo
03-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Annie Beck has staged a double there for years now--to Oceanside and back.
My favorite double of the 13 or so different ones I have done.
Ride up to Julian for one of their famous pies.
Yum.
Gorgeous territory, minimal traffic.
Enjoy!!

Idris Icabod
03-27-2018, 04:59 PM
My co-worker just came back from there yesterday. She went to see the flowers as last year was supposed to be spectacular. She said it was brown with barely a flower in sight so if you are going to see the desert color this might not be the year.

ptourkin
03-27-2018, 05:04 PM
My co-worker just came back from there yesterday. She went to see the flowers as last year was supposed to be spectacular. She said it was brown with barely a flower in sight so if you are going to see the desert color this might not be the year.

Last year was historic. We had a ton of rain in the winter. The bighorn came down low to feast - usually they are hard to see.

This year, the rain just started. Not many flowers growing out there.

Gummee
03-28-2018, 09:30 AM
Borrego Springs was where I saw the Milky Way for the first time ever.

Almost didn't drive back to Sandy Eggo. Wanted to lay on the hood of my truck and watch the stars.

For a guy coming from the 'burbs, it was an amazing sight

M

jh_on_the_cape
03-28-2018, 09:39 AM
Same as what they said, it's beautiful, hills are BIG and bring water. Read (or reread) the Anza-Borrego chapter in Into the Wild before you go. I was there in January and there are still lots of people camped for longer term. I drove from Joshua Tree out the south gate down box canyon rd through Mecca down the Salton Sea then turned up through Borrego Salton Seaway, through Borrego Springs then up over Julian (got a pie!) and then back down to SD.
There was a group of motorcycles I was leapfrogging most of the way. I think you also ride a motorcycle? and I can imagine that as being a GREAT ride. So consider looking into renting a moto?
Laguna Mt Rd was closed from snow then so I didnt go up there.
I love that area.