PDA

View Full Version : NYT: SPORTS OF THE TIMES Alias Thomas Mann: Uncovering a Global Doping Network

Tony T
03-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Interesting story (no cycling pro's mentioned):
NY Times
SPORTS OF THE TIMES
Alias Thomas Mann: Uncovering a Global Doping Network (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/sports/doping-thomas-mann-peptides.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news)

Investigators believe a man in Arizona was distributing performance-enhancing drugs on a massive, global scale, yet no charges have been filed. His clientele included pro athletes.

On Aug. 25, 2015, a Swiss postal inspector reached into the river of 300,000 parcels that pour into that nation every day and, for a routine inspection, plucked out two packages arriving from Arizona. Inspectors unwrapped them and found serried rows of bottles.

The bottles were suspected of containing performance-enhancing drugs, so they were shipped to an antidoping laboratory for testing. Chemists discovered three synthetic compounds that are illicit gold for cheating athletes. One sped the healing of tendons and ligaments. Another helped build muscle mass. A third stimulated the body to burn fat.

The Swiss authorities notified the organization in the United States that investigates sports doping, the United States Anti-Doping Agency, and shared the return-address sticker. The packages were shipped by someone named Thomas Mann.

His name drew puzzled shrugs from Usada investigators. That name had never crossed their radar, and they could not find a home listing for someone with that name in their database in Arizona or anywhere else.

The name was then stored in the organization’s computer system and largely forgotten, until it resurfaced in a different context several months later, triggering an intense pursuit of Thomas Mann and an aggressive investigation of his enterprise that involved federal law enforcement as well as antidoping officials.

The existence of the investigation and its extraordinary findings have not been previously reported.

fignon's barber
03-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Global Doping Network? Is that Matt, Dan ,and Si's new YouTube channel?

cal_len1
03-26-2018, 07:34 PM
It's Martyn's, nobody would expect the guy in a wheel chair.

Burnette
03-26-2018, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the link TonyT. I read it and it just adds to what we already knew. Performance enhancement is as old as prostitution and sports its self.

And it's more wide spread than many want to believe.

zross312
03-26-2018, 08:14 PM
It really was a great article. More and more I find myself looking at really strong guys on group rides, or guys making rapid improvements, or muscled up sprinters climbing like mountain goats, and wondering - hmm, is that guy on something? I'd be willing to bet that this article just scratches the surface...

bikinchris
03-26-2018, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the link TonyT. I read it and it just adds to what we already knew. Performance enhancement is as old as prostitution and sports its self.

And it's more wide spread than many want to believe.

People have always cheated. Kids who don't know why they cheat do it. People who competed in ancient Greece for laurel leaves cheated. If anyone is surprised by an international cheating ring, they have their head in the sand. EVERY sport has a cheating problem and those that aren't working toward reducing it (cough, cough, MLB, NFL, MLS, NBA and on and on) are lying to their fans. This doping goes all the way into early high school. The health risks for these kids has GOT to be illegal.

The sports announcers who point to bicycling as a "dirty sport of dopers" KNOW how bad it is in other sports. Those announcers piss me off.

Pastashop
03-26-2018, 09:49 PM
“One sped the healing of tendons and ligaments. Another helped build muscle mass. A third stimulated the body to burn fat.”

Hey, tell me of an aging athlete or even a regular person that wouldn’t want a bit of THOSE 3 in their morning coffee!