PDA

View Full Version : Need help with pedal decision.

timsmcm
03-26-2018, 12:02 AM
I have several bikes all with the same type pedals (look delta type campy record). I have a pedal That is getting bad and a new to me bike that needs a new set of pedals. I have found a few sets of old in good shape delta pedals. I have also kicked about the idea of either new shimano dura ace pedals or new look keo pedals. Either of those would mean a new set of shoes also. What are your thoughts when you own several bikes do you have different types of pedals and more than 1 pair of shoes or do you just try to get the same pedals for all your bikes? I could use a new pair of shoes what do you people do?

FlashUNC
03-26-2018, 12:04 AM
Why new shoes? It ain't like three bolt layouts have changed.

I keep em the same across bikes. Just easier that way. Or just buy one set of pedals and invest in a pedal wrench.

timsmcm
03-26-2018, 12:23 AM
If I just have 1 set of pedals and 1 set of shoes I would probably just ride 1 bike most of the time. Time is short and moving pedals around would have me thinking do I have time to move pedals or just ride. Most times it's like grab and go. And since it's like all of my other pedals are not being made anymore it is getting harder to find pedals that use the same cleets that are worth buying.

Louis
03-26-2018, 12:44 AM
I was jokingly going to suggest Look delta-cleat pedals, because that's what I still use, but was amazed to see that apparently I'm not the only one out there stuck in the past!

timsmcm
03-26-2018, 01:16 AM
I was jokingly going to suggest Look delta-cleat pedals, because that's what I still use, but was amazed to see that apparently I'm not the only one out there stuck in the past!

I love them. Just getting hard to find them anymore.

Louis
03-26-2018, 01:37 AM
A few years back I stocked up on pedals and cleats, so I have enough to keep me going for quite a while.

macaroon
03-26-2018, 02:43 AM
For the cost of a set of Dura Ace pedals, you could buy three or four pairs of R550 pedals. They feel exactly the same when on the bike. I think they're maybe 50g heavier per pair.

uber
03-26-2018, 04:47 AM
Three road bikes. I use the same pedals on all three and one pair of shoes.

oldpotatoe
03-26-2018, 06:43 AM
I have several bikes all with the same type pedals (look delta type campy record). I have a pedal That is getting bad and a new to me bike that needs a new set of pedals. I have found a few sets of old in good shape delta pedals. I have also kicked about the idea of either new shimano dura ace pedals or new look keo pedals. Either of those would mean a new set of shoes also. What are your thoughts when you own several bikes do you have different types of pedals and more than 1 pair of shoes or do you just try to get the same pedals for all your bikes? I could use a new pair of shoes what do you people do?

Different pedal, same function and don't need new shoes..I'd say get 3 pair of 105 level shimano pedals(for about the $ of 1 DA)..slap the cleats on your shoes, pedals on bikes, go ride. I'd not recommend the new Look KEO..not the durbility of LOOK Delta, IMHO.

merckx
03-26-2018, 07:18 AM
If you enjoy Look Delta pedals, I would continue to use them. They remain available on Ebay. Shimano pedals are great too; however the rotation fulcrum is opposite of Look. I've been a Look user since the beginning, and at some point decided to switch to Shimano. I couldn't tolerate the different physics and switched back to Look.

rePhil
03-26-2018, 07:24 AM
I am long time Delta user. I recently put a pair of Dura Ace pedals on one bike. The others have Delta's. I bought a matching pair of Sidi's for the Shimano cleats.
I am using the Blue Shimano cleats BTW. There is a difference in pedal height between the Looks and Shimano so I dropped the saddle a bit.

Pastashop
03-26-2018, 08:52 AM
That reminds me... I have stashed away a pair of Look CX-6, Mario Cipollini World Champion edition pedals with adjustable Q-factor. Like these but in WHITE!

http://www.stoneham.com/lightroom/Look_CX6/content/bin/images/large/IMG_0004.jpg

merckx
03-26-2018, 11:06 AM
That reminds me... I have stashed away a pair of Look CX-6, Mario Cipollini World Champion edition pedals with adjustable Q-factor. Like these but in WHITE!

http://www.stoneham.com/lightroom/Look_CX6/content/bin/images/large/IMG_0004.jpg

Are they for sale?

Spaghetti Legs
03-26-2018, 12:07 PM
About 15 bikes, all with Look Keos except my cross bike and commuter which are Crank Bros. I keep an out for deals on used Keos and pick them up when I can. I have two sets in reserve now. 10-15 years ago I was a Look Delta user but I could never shake the loud squeak. I sold a box of Arcs, 296 and 396 to a guy last year.

My pedal box has a set of Campy Chorus and Shimano (105?), both of which I think are Delta that I can give you a deal on.

pdmtong
03-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Current gen shimano pedals work fantastic - easy to engage/dis-engage and wide support underfoot. the cleat is excellent for off-bike walking. and they take a long time to wear out.

the DA version has an extra bearing...if money is an issue but ultegra or lower.

one pair of shoes and same pedals on all bikes. actually i have two pairs of shoes...sidi wire I wear all the time and giro factor I dont mind thrashing on if it is wet and dirty or I am gong to be walking more.

AngryScientist
03-26-2018, 12:47 PM
SPD-SL's are the best pedals in the business IMO.

if you hold the two in hand, there is no question that the DA pedals have better/smoother bearings than the ultegra/105 variations, but on the bike, it's inperceivable. they are completely maintenance free as well.

i recommend them without hesitation.

jasonification
03-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Love my X-series speedplay! Surprised they haven't been mentioned yet.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo
03-26-2018, 01:15 PM

if you hold the two in hand, there is no question that the DA pedals have better/smoother bearings than the ultegra/105 variations, but on the bike, it's inperceivable. they are completely maintenance free as well.

And the Ultegra pedals can be had from reputable sources for only $99. That's a deal and a half.

Andy340
03-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Look delta pedal / cleats are still about - I put some on my wife’s bike to match pedal system in spin class (Exustar brand) so she could use one set of shoes for both

Don49
03-26-2018, 10:26 PM
I finally got tired of having multiple pedal systems and just use CB Eggbeaters on my road and touring bikes. Two pairs of shoes Sidi Genius and Dominator, and both work well enough with Eggbeater cleats.

The one mtn bike that I ride on technical terrain has XTR pedals and dedicated shoes.

timsmcm
03-27-2018, 12:17 AM

Whats it like trying to get in and out of the Shimano pedals with the Shimano cleets? The one thing that I like about Look delta pedals and cleets, getting in and out is like second nature. In my area there are 20+ % grades and I have never had a problem with unintended pullout. Even in full on hard sprints no pullouts. There has never been any pops or creeks or any cleet noise. I never have even thought about the two pairs in more than 40 years, they have worked that well. But I am willing to listen to new ideas, I have always ridden Campy record and just purchased a bike with a mostly new Shimano dura-ace 7800 group and I love it so I am open to new gear.

Pastashop
03-27-2018, 04:04 AM
Are they for sale?

I’ve used them for ~100 miles when I had a knee issue, and then they sat in a drawer for the past 10+ years. Its time to admit that I’m hoarding needlessly; yes, I can be talked into parting with them. :-)

merckx
03-27-2018, 06:42 AM
I’ve used them for ~100 miles when I had a knee issue, and then they sat in a drawer for the past 10+ years. Its time to admit that I’m hoarding needlessly; yes, I can be talked into parting with them. :-)

PM with pics and price. I may be interested. I was using Keos, and then Blades until about three years ago, and then decided to upgrade to PP396. I couldn't be happier.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2018, 06:44 AM
About 15 bikes, all with Look Keos except my cross bike and commuter which are Crank Bros. I keep an out for deals on used Keos and pick them up when I can. I have two sets in reserve now. 10-15 years ago I was a Look Delta user but I could never shake the loud squeak. I sold a box of Arcs, 296 and 396 to a guy last year.

My pedal box has a set of Campy Chorus and Shimano (105?), both of which I think are Delta that I can give you a deal on.

I am amazed almost everytime I come to this place...I'm impressed!! 15 bikes and they all have pedals on them...the SAME pedal on them, 15 pairs of the same pedals...wow, impressed, really, not raging on ya..:eek::)

mcteague
03-27-2018, 07:09 AM
After 3 broken pairs of Time pedals I went back to SPD-SL. The float feels better on the newer model with the wider platform IMO. My only gripe is the release, even when dialed back, still feels too stiff. Guess I got used to Time's iClic system that held you in but had a nearly effortless release.

Tim

merckxman
03-27-2018, 07:37 AM
I have 6 bikes all with Delta pedals. I've thought about switching but it there anything that is much better? I don't have the squeak issue on any of them.

bart998
03-27-2018, 12:18 PM
I switched 4 of 5 road bikes from Look deltas to Look Keo's several years ago... love 'em. Have several Delta's if you need. Last one uses clips for Eroica rides.

pdmtong
03-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Whats it like trying to get in and out of the Shimano pedals with the Shimano cleets? The one thing that I like about Look delta pedals and cleets, getting in and out is like second nature. In my area there are 20+ % grades and I have never had a problem with unintended pullout. Even in full on hard sprints no pullouts. There has never been any pops or creeks or any cleet noise. I never have even thought about the two pairs in more than 40 years, they have worked that well. But I am willing to listen to new ideas, I have always ridden Campy record and just purchased a bike with a mostly new Shimano dura-ace 7800 group and I love it so I am open to new gear.
arguing SPD-SL over look is like arguing about campy vs shimano. both work.
SPD-SL entry/exit is a no-brainer and set and forget. I like the shimano cleat - very easy to walk around in when needed. doa WTB on an ultegra pair and see for yourself.
I am amazed almost everytime I come to this place...I'm impressed!! 15 bikes and they all have pedals on them...the SAME pedal on them, 15 pairs of the same pedals...wow, impressed, really, not raging on ya..:eek::)
I have always wondered that about people with lots of bikes...do they really all have pedals? and for the other bolt-on "things" like computer mounts, bottle cages, saddle bags, yikes thats a lot of money parked to suport a ready-to-go situation. I only have four road bikes and that often seems like too many ... probably 2-3 for me makes more sense for regular riding.

C40_guy
03-27-2018, 12:45 PM
I have a slight bow-legged stance. To compensate, many years ago I tried orthotics, custom shoes, then wedges under the pedal cleats.

Then I found the Look CX7 pedals which, are tunable via a variety of different wedges.

Now all of my road bikes have the Look CX7 pedals (about 6 bikes) and my MTB and cross bikes have SPDs. I also have a pair or two spare CX7 pedal sets stashed away.

Frankly, I don't know if the wedge makes any difference in my pedal stroke, power, or endurance. For a while I used orthotics in some of my shoes, but fitting is always a problem when adding a half inch to the shoe...

I don't do anything to compensate when I'm running, and haven't seen any mechanical issues (which could be more obvious with running).

I'm sticking with the Look pedals and the adjustment, for now, mostly due to inertia...and if I did move to "modern" pedals, I'd probably have to get multiple sets... :)

merckx
03-27-2018, 02:40 PM
I don't own 15 bicycles, but if I did, they all would be equipped with pedals, and derailleurs, saddles, chains, bars, etc. If you have that much invested in toys, you may as well purchase the entire Barbie set.

fogrider
03-28-2018, 12:38 AM
I started with delta cleats on Look pedals, I find the large contact point the most stable. I have since switched over to keos on 4 bikes and still have 1 on the old deltas. I also have two bikes on SPDs, so I have 3 pairs of shoes.
FYI, here's a great price for keos pedals: https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/look-k%C3%A9o-classic-2-road-pedals-lk-kc2

timsmcm
03-29-2018, 08:24 AM
I started with delta cleats on Look pedals, I find the large contact point the most stable. I have since switched over to keos on 4 bikes and still have 1 on the old deltas. I also have two bikes on SPDs, so I have 3 pairs of shoes.
FYI, here's a great price for keos pedals: https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/look-k%C3%A9o-classic-2-road-pedals-lk-kc2

Out of all three which do you like best? Which is the most consistent getting in and out of? Which system holds the best? Sorry for so many questions you have all of the pedals that I am looking at getting into.