PDA

View Full Version : Airless tires???

ultraman6970
03-25-2018, 01:50 PM
This is like a lot!! Not super cheap tho... but good for some applications.

https://tannusamerica.com/

Cicli
03-25-2018, 01:57 PM
Probably like riding with a solid hose for a tire.

cachagua
03-25-2018, 02:06 PM
Tubeless. All the cool kids are doing it.

ultraman6970
03-25-2018, 02:43 PM
Well it depends a lot of how those things are made tho, noticed that some tires have 3 compounds to play with.

Wonder if there's reviews about them, havent check yet.

Probably like riding with a solid hose for a tire.

MaraudingWalrus
03-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Tannus has been around for bit. Generally they ride not very great. Sluggish feeling, generally not stellar grip. Somewhat unforgiving. They've gotten better, but that's been the general consensus.

Imagine how inflexible a Marathon Plus tire is, throw a thorn resistant tube in there, and then fill it solid with dried up Stans. Close approximation to my experiences.

Their newer softer compounds are apparently better. I hated mounting them that was quite the bear.

It's worth pointing out that airless tires aren't new...in fact, they predate pneumatic tires...but there's a reason that the Dunlop family has all the money....and that is that pneumatic tires are f-ing great. Throw some of that fancy new finish line sealant that won't dry out in something if you're worried about flats, keep them inflated to a proper pressure, and you're really pretty unlikely to have too many issues...

If you were commuting and really didn't want to ever be bothered with flats, go for it. But it'll be a while, pending dramatic materials revolution, until this is feasible for someone performance oriented or discerning about ride quality.

rustychisel
03-25-2018, 08:15 PM
They look 'sketchy' ie not very good at holding the road and based on what I see from the videos I'd like some other people to be the guinea pigs (like, about 5m other people).

Jaybee
03-25-2018, 10:10 PM
I had something like this in my BMX bike as a kid. I mostly remember my dad saying words he told me never to say as he tried to mount them.

rustychisel
03-26-2018, 06:15 PM
... dad saying words he told me never to say as he tried to mount them.

This conjures vivid images I didn't want to have. :)

Seramount
03-26-2018, 07:05 PM
not having any issues running tires with tubes.

pass on airless.

Andy340
03-26-2018, 08:58 PM
I would image rolling resistance is pretty high vs tubes/tubeless and for no meaningful benefit unless you get a very high number of punctures