http://tiz-cycling.stream/

Mzilliox
03-25-2018, 10:22 AM
thanks

LegendRider
03-25-2018, 10:23 AM
On now here..last 17km..

http://tiz-cycling.stream/

Who's doing the commentary? One of them sounds Irish but doesn't sound like Sean Kelly.

oldpotatoe
03-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Who's doing the commentary? One of them sounds Irish but doesn't sound like Sean Kelly.

wow.....:eek:

Mzilliox
03-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Sagan has no palmares,hahahahahaha
that was a grind at the finish

oldpotatoe
03-25-2018, 10:30 AM

since you 'spoiled'.....at 500 meters to go, it looked like Sagan had given up...then...wow...

Tickdoc
03-25-2018, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the reminder peter that was great.

echelon_john
03-25-2018, 10:42 AM
Me, messaging with my buddy at the finish:

GregL
03-25-2018, 10:47 AM
Contrary to some opinions, I find Sagan to be tactically the smartest sprinter in the current crop of racers. Just like last fall's world championships, he positioned himself perfectly in the last kilometer. Once he saw Viviani was boxed in, he just rode his own sprint. Viviani and Demare are arguably faster than Sagan in a straight up sprint, but Sagan has the patience and tactics. Quick-Step got it all right on Friday, but today they messed up the lead out. Great race!

Greg

yarg
03-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Viviani was definitely faster just bad positioning.

Mzilliox
03-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Contrary to some opinions, I find Sagan to be tactically the smartest sprinter in the current crop of racers. Just like last fall's world championships, he positioned himself perfectly in the last kilometer. Once he saw Viviani was boxed in, he just rode his own sprint. Viviani and Demare are arguably faster than Sagan in a straight up sprint, but Sagan has the patience and tactics. Quick-Step got it all right on Friday, but today they messed up the lead out. Great race!

Greg

On that first attack, i saw Sagan and thought what? hes not even gonna try?
then he timed that move really well.

Quick step is really looking strong early

nalax
03-25-2018, 12:15 PM
WVA in 10th. He's having quite a spring season.

CPP
03-25-2018, 12:28 PM
After the finish, check out Sagan's soigneur opening a bag of gummy bears for him!!

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/racing/gent-wevelgem-2018-sagan-who-else-race-report/#.WrfbcUxuI2w
28 min 58

fignon's barber
03-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Me, messaging with my buddy at the finish:

At about 10km to go everyone is taking a one second over-and-out (must have been big headwind). Sagan gets to the front and takes a 30 second pull and moves over for Demare to come through. Demare refuses and sits on his wheel. Sagan says "eff it", and goes and sits in for the rest of race. When he went to the back, I said, "game over: Sagan win."

clyde the point
03-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Viviani sobbing on the floor at the finish was a little too much. His soignuer puts a warm up jacket across his shoulders and the camera is 2' away capturing him sobbing. I get it sucks to lose but man it's a bike race. And that camera guy might have gone elsewhere but they have a job to do too I guess.

kramnnim
03-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Declan Quigley

LegendRider
03-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Declan Quigley

Thanks for letting me know.

oldpotatoe
03-25-2018, 04:25 PM
Viviani sobbing on the floor at the finish was a little too much. His soignuer puts a warm up jacket across his shoulders and the camera is 2' away capturing him sobbing. I get it sucks to lose but man it's a bike race. And that camera guy might have gone elsewhere but they have a job to do too I guess.

Fake drama...geez a bike race. Looked like James Brown getting his cape.

MattTuck
03-25-2018, 04:51 PM
Declan Quigley

That sounds like a made up name. :)

Couldn't find a youtube video with english commentary, so just watched the last 40 km of just moto/heli noises. The commentary makes for much more interesting viewing.

It did look very windy (maybe not like 2015, but still pretty windy). Not sure how much that affected the overall race, but there weren't a ton of solo aggressive attacks out of that lead group. Individually, I think it would have been just too costly with low probability of it paying off.

Pretty good sprint from Sagan, but where was GVA? Not sure if it was the hometown coverage from host broadcaster, but he seemed to spend a lot of time on the front... which clearly did not work so great.

Too bad about Viviani crying. He seems like a nice guy, he was on the Milano Sanremo edition of the Recon Ride Podcast (http://www.velonews.com/2018/03/news/vn-podcast-recon-ride-previews-milano-sanremo-2018_459880?utm_source=cosmo+is+awesome&utm_medium=cyclocosmphoto&utm_campaign=hi+spencer), you his segment starts at 23:45.

New team for him, and I'm sure the pressure is on, and especially for a race like this, I'd think they'd be working for him once it was clear it would end in a likely sprint. They had him, Stybar and Gilbert in the final... not sure exactly what the strategy was, but his position at the start of the sprint definitely made it harder for him, and I am sure he must believe that was a winnable race for him. At 29 years old, how many more races at the level of Gent-Wevelgem will you be so close? Also, in that interview I linked, he states that his form is ending after GW, as he switches training focus to the Giro.

kramnnim
03-25-2018, 05:26 PM
Gilbert was working quite hard for Viviani

Gummee
03-25-2018, 06:01 PM

I think he's paying his dues so he can have a go in the later races.

I figured WvA for 4th, but I guessed wrong.

It was nice to see 2 EF riders. If they could support SvM better...

M

GregL
03-25-2018, 07:29 PM
At about 10km to go everyone is taking a one second over-and-out (must have been big headwind). Sagan gets to the front and takes a 30 second pull and moves over for Demare to come through. Demare refuses and sits on his wheel. Sagan says "eff it", and goes and sits in for the rest of race. When he went to the back, I said, "game over: Sagan win."
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll have to look for it when I watch the race video. I love seeing the subtleties of racing and appreciate having them pointed out when I miss them. The great chess game on wheels!

Greg

denapista
03-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Waiting for Flashunc in 1,2,3.....

cadence90
03-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Fake drama...geez a bike race. Looked like James Brown getting his cape.
No kidding. I like Viviani, love ITA riders, but that was a nancy moment if I ever saw one.

:rolleyes:

KJMUNC
03-25-2018, 07:59 PM
What's wrong with the guy showing some emotion? Have you ever exerted yourself so much you just lose control of your emotions? I'm sure he knew he screwed up the sprint and that he has to deliver big wins like this to keep his spot on QS.

He's not the first or last to cry after a race. And "just a bike race"? It is his career after all....not the same as you losing out on a county line sprint on your weekly world-cup local rides.

I actually like the fact these guys are passionate about it.

Big Dan
03-25-2018, 08:01 PM
^
Agree with this.
Gent Wevelgem can make a career.

AZR3
03-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Good race overall, lots of fighting towards the end and Sagan stays quiet till the end like the Champs road race, just hang out till the end then BAM!

yashcha
03-25-2018, 08:09 PM
^
Agree with this.
Gent Wevelgem can make a career.

And perhaps it can make or break a team, as with 2001 Gent. Post team collapse, 2nd place Léon van Bon lamented in an interview that if he had just won that race, the fate of his team, Mercury–Viatel, could have been different.

cadence90
03-25-2018, 09:02 PM
Viviani already has a career.

While I have great respect for the effort these riders all make, day in and day out, sobbing in the middle of the road like that isn't going to change a thing.

"Some" emotion? That was really way over the top imo.

crankles
03-25-2018, 09:09 PM

I'll take a stab at it...

Come on...at 250k and a pittance of cobbles, G-W can hardly be considered anything but a mere shadow of a true Monument...and honestly I would have been more amazed if the Anointed One HADN'T won against such a depleted field of tired old rags. Such a low bar to trip over.

How was that?

FlashUNC
03-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Paceline logic: Riders are robots. Why don't they ever show emotion?

Rider shows emotion.

Omg drama queen stop! When did these riders become such emotional crybabies?

crankles
03-25-2018, 09:55 PM
Paceline logic: Riders are robots. Why don't they ever show emotion?

Rider shows emotion.

Omg drama queen stop! When did these riders become such emotional crybabies?

I'd like to think he was crying because he knew he was going to have to head back to the team bus and look Gilbert and Stybar in the eye. They worked their asses off for him and he didn't deliver.

54ny77
03-25-2018, 11:25 PM
Sagan apparently loves him some gummy bears post race!

2:49:15. Too funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlCUgThOAto

FlashUNC
03-25-2018, 11:49 PM
I'd like to think he was crying because he knew he was going to have to head back to the team bus and look Gilbert and Stybar in the eye. They worked their asses off for him and he didn't deliver.

We've also seen what happens on Team Lefevre when you don't deliver. Tough. Really his last race before gearing up for the Giro training, and yeah, has to go either work his tail off for those guys, and bring up in the next team meeting he made a hash of the Sprint.

At least he's still the boss on the track.

bpm
03-26-2018, 06:11 AM
We've also seen what happens on Team Lefevre when you don't deliver.

Agreed. And on this team these races mean everything. A Belgian team is expected to win all the important races (PR, RdV, GW, and the list goes on). Viviani likely knows the team put everything into him winning the sprint and may have played a different card if they didn't think he was up to the task. I'm sure he's upset at himself for not delivering. If he wants to get emotional after the finish, so be it. He's human.

Peter P.
03-26-2018, 06:18 AM
Sagan apparently loves him some gummy bears post race!

2:49:15. Too funny!

I was aware of Sagan's taste for Haribo gummy bears, but after watching his victory, and to celebrate, I actually went out and bought my first bag!

I've never tasted them before and they're not bad, but they fall short of my favorite, Welch's Fruit Snack.

speedevil
03-26-2018, 06:29 AM
I was aware of Sagan's taste for Haribo gummy bears, but after watching his victory, and to celebrate, I actually went out and bought my first bag!

I've never tasted them before and they're not bad, but they fall short of my favorite, Welch's Fruit Snack.

I can see it now - Gent-Wevelgem supported by Welch's Fruit Snacks. They are pretty good, actually.

kramnnim
03-26-2018, 06:29 AM

Come on...at 250k and a pittance of cobbles, G-W can hardly be considered anything but a mere shadow of a true Monument...and honestly I would have been more amazed if the Anointed One HADN'T won against such a depleted field of tired old rags. Such a low bar to trip over.

How was that?

:banana:

cadence90
03-26-2018, 06:38 AM

When one buys direct from tune, the stuff arrives with a bag or bags of Haribos.

Which is pretty awesome customer service in my book. :)

MattTuck
03-26-2018, 07:32 AM

I agree he was working quite hard. I'm just not sure it actually helped Viviani when it came to the sprint.

Might have been better to just have Gilbert cover breaks, knowing that Viviani was in good shape for the sprint. I'll have to go back and look at the last 5k again, to try to see exactly how Viviani ended it up where he did for the start of the sprint. I don't think Kristoff coming up from behind was a huge threat -- even if he got there, good chance he'd be wiped from the effort.

On the topic of the Haribo bears... there was a discussion on here a while ago about them. Apparently there are European and American recipes. And the European is better for you in some way, less sweet. More glucose, less fructose, as I recall. So, if you can, get the Euro version.

MattTuck
03-26-2018, 07:49 AM
https://streamable.com/2p5xt

There's the last 5k.

Gilbert was on the front from 5km to go, until about 2.3 to go, when there is an attack, which he then covers, gapping the rest of the group. This is while Quickstep has Yves Lampeart and Zdenek Stybar in the group. Why blow up Gilbert first? I don't understand, you finish with 4 guys in the lead group but only have one of them (a bonafide super star in his own right) setting pace for the group while 3 other dudes hang in the back?

I just disagree with that strategy. Maybe they were hedging their bets, and for sure Viviani could have played the sprint a little better. In that video, he seems to be trying to find Demare's wheel when the group splits and gets back together. But the tactics from Quickstep are atleast partially to blame. In my opinion of course.

GregL
03-26-2018, 07:52 AM
Agreed. And on this team these races mean everything. A Belgian team is expected to win all the important races (PR, RdV, GW, and the list goes on). Viviani likely knows the team put everything into him winning the sprint and may have played a different card if they didn't think he was up to the task. I'm sure he's upset at himself for not delivering. If he wants to get emotional after the finish, so be it. He's human.
I think that Viviani was more than up for the task physically. Coming into the last few kms, I thought he was the favorite for the win. Unfortunately for him, he got swarmed and boxed in. Sagan positioned himself better and beat faster sprinters.

Greg

bpm
03-26-2018, 07:58 AM
I think that Viviani was more than up for the task physically. Coming into the last few kms, I thought he was the favorite for the win. Unfortunately for him, he got swarmed and boxed in. Sagan positioned himself better and beat faster sprinters.

Greg

You're probably right, but Lefevre may not care. He pays Viviani to win sprints, and may not really care why he didn't, just that he didn't.

GregL
03-26-2018, 08:16 AM
You're probably right, but Lefevre may not care. He pays Viviani to win sprints, and may not really care why he didn't, just that he didn't.
One of my favorite movie quotes: "Don't tell me about your little problems! I'm only interested in results! (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048667/?ref_=ttqt_qt_tt)"

Greg

weisan
03-26-2018, 08:19 AM
That was sprinting smarts. You can almost tell from 250 meters it's going to go that way with Sagan hiding behind Stuyven. He knew he can't win this sprint straight up against the pure sprinters. He has already tried that many times and failed.

In terms of pure top-end speed and power, nobody can beat Viviani and Demare at the moment, these two sprinters along with Groenewegen are in top form. Kittel is coming along but not yet.

I can understand Viviani's disappointment and frustrations, he thought the win was in the bag from 200m out and he's probably right if not for party pooper Sagan. I would cry too if I were in his position, maybe louder.

FlashUNC
03-26-2018, 08:25 AM

He's won it 3 times. Good for him. Some illustrative company on the 3 time winner list. Course, this is basically the only Spring semi-classic he wins. And everyone else on that most GW wins list won a ton of Monuments. But sure, let's pat him on the head for winning this one.

No one grades on a curve quite like Sagan fans. Here's hoping he doesn't ride into a barrier at Flanders like last year.

bobswire
03-26-2018, 09:16 AM

How was that?

Close but no cigar," He's won it 3 times. Good for him. Some illustrative company on the 3 time winner list. Course, this is basically the only Spring semi-classic he wins. And everyone else on that most GW wins list won a ton of Monuments. But sure, let's pat him on the head for winning this one.

No one grades on a curve quite like Sagan fans. Here's hoping he doesn't ride into a barrier at Flanders like last year.

No one grades on a curve quite like Flash does regarding Sagan, very entertaining.

speedevil
03-26-2018, 09:49 AM
I'm not a fanboy of any particular rider, but Sagan did position himself and time his effort perfectly. I understand Viviani's disappointment - so close after such a demanding parcours. Hopefully he will use it as motivation for future races and will wind up at the top of the podium. Degenkolb seems off a bit. Would like to see him recover his former form and mental attitude, he can and has won multiple classics.

denapista
03-26-2018, 10:04 AM
I like Sagan for his bike style and skill. Coming from a BMX and MTB background, I like guys who can show they know how to ride. I could care less about his wins or his monuments. He's also the Pro the average guy can (Somewhat) identify with, who isn't robotic with some sort of character.

FlashUNC
03-26-2018, 10:15 AM
I like Sagan for his bike style and skill. Coming from a BMX and MTB background, I like guys who can show they know how to ride. I could care less about his wins or his monuments. He's also the Pro the average guy can (Somewhat) identify with, who isn't robotic with some sort of character.

Except crying. God forbid you cry. That's showing the wrong kind of character round these parts.

The right kind of character is acting like you don't care and treat it all like a whimsical game. Yeah, wayyyyyy better. Can't wait for the next wheelie.

livingminimal
03-26-2018, 01:17 PM
I seriously cant believe Im reading posts from people taking a shot at a guy for being overwhelmed with emotion at that moment.

Incredible.

cadence90
03-26-2018, 03:04 PM
I always really enjoyed working at track World Cups/Championships here. Riders who finished 2nd, 3rd, 5th, etc. would routinely congratulate the winner, with what certainly appeared to be genuine emotion on both sides. If those riders were disappointed, as I'm sure most were, deeply, they would deal with it in their own pen or back in the locker room, hotel room, etc.

I never once saw a 2nd-place rider instead immediately sit down in the middle of the track and then bawl his/her eyes out like that....

ptourkin
03-26-2018, 03:17 PM
I always really enjoyed working at track World Cups/Championships here. Riders who finished 2nd, 3rd, 5th, etc. would routinely congratulate the winner, with what certainly appeared to be genuine emotion on both sides. If those riders were disappointed, as I'm sure most were, deeply, they would deal with it in their own pen or back in the locker room, hotel room, etc.

I never once saw a 2nd-place rider instead immediately sit down in the middle of the track and then bawl his/her eyes out like that....

Is your point that track racers are different? Because this guy won the Olympic Omnium in 2016 and did pretty damn well at Worlds.

cadence90
03-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Is your point that track racers are different? Because this guy won the Olympic Omnium in 2016 and did pretty damn well at Worlds.

I absolutely know who Viviani is, thanks.

No, my point is certainly not that track racers are different.
My point is that what Viviani did yesterday was over the top imo. (And in iho too, now, in hindsight, I would bet.)

ptourkin
03-26-2018, 03:28 PM
I absolutely know who Viviani is, thanks.

No, my point is certainly not that track racers are different.
My point is that what Viviani did yesterday was over the top imo. (And in iho too, now, in hindsight, I would bet.)

Gotcha, sorry.

Maybe but he's Italian and I thought he explained it well. Stybar, Gilbert, Lampaert et al. killed it for him and it was his big chance - he just followed the wrong wheel. He really wasn't supposed to be the guy in this race until Gaviria broke his wrist. He was heartbroken. I give him points for not giving a f how it looked.

zross312
03-26-2018, 03:30 PM
Agreed. I think it's hard for us to truly understand the ecstasy of victory without seeing the other side of the coin - the misery of losing. In a world where everyone is trying at all times to present their "best" face to the world at large (especially with social media), I found it really refreshing to see Viviani's honest, unvarnished, unfiltered emotions at that moment.

I seriously cant believe Im reading posts from people taking a shot at a guy for being overwhelmed with emotion at that moment.

Incredible.

cadence90
03-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Gotcha, sorry.

Maybe but he's Italian and I thought he explained it well. Stybar, Gilbert, Lampaert et al. killed it for him and it was his big chance - he just followed the wrong wheel. He really wasn't supposed to be the guy in this race until Gaviria broke his wrist. He was heartbroken. I give him points for not giving a f how it looked.
Yes, I agree. He did, and they did. I'm sure that all of QS was disappointed. But it's racing, and these things happen, right? They are a great team, they are great riders, he is a great up-coming road rider as well. They/he will have other chances to maximize their talents and strategies, and win.

My reaction to Viviani has nothing to do with any disrespect or thinking riders should "show less emotion", etc. Not at all. I am Italian too...I am all for emotion. I just did not see his reaction as very dignified, that is all. As I wrote above, away from the middle of the road, in more private surroundings, of course....

May Viviani have better days in the future. I am certain that he will. He is too dedicated and talented to not develop very, very well.

tommyrod74
03-26-2018, 04:22 PM
I thought Viviani's reaction was understandable, though maybe more than I would react. Maybe. I've not been in that exact position. Either way, it's Viv being Viv, and that's good. We're talking about it, right?

I also think Sagan's attitude (though far more laissez-faire than mine) is Sagan being Sagan. I personally like him, though I don't idolize any athlete at this point in my life - I've known too many, pro and otherwise, to think they are any less flawed than we. I will say that his BMX and XC background makes me identify with him, and his penchant for doing the unexpected is, well, interesting.

I think it's good that different personalities exist in our sport, and that we get to see a bit of that.

cal_len1
03-26-2018, 07:26 PM

Then you need to try the sugar free Haribo ones, way better than the normal ones.

AZR3
03-26-2018, 07:41 PM
Then you need to try the sugar free Haribo ones, way better than the normal ones.

Lol

Frankwurst
03-26-2018, 07:57 PM

Most people love'em:beer:

cal_len1
03-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Most people love'em:beer:

For a few minutes at least, it's glorious.

Peter P.
03-26-2018, 08:18 PM

While I enjoy the flavoring of the Haribo's, it's the chewier texture of Welch's which puts them over the top.

And reading the back of the package, it says, "Manufactured for Haribo of America, Inc., Rosemont IL 60018, Made in Germany.

I suppose it could still be a formula geared toward American tastes, however.

weisan
03-26-2018, 08:40 PM
https://j.gifs.com/jRLDB5.gif

Vientomas
03-26-2018, 09:23 PM

No one takes a dump on Sagan quite Sagan haters..aka FlashUNC...Here's hoping that it's a good clean race and everyone stays upright.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2018, 06:55 AM
Except crying. God forbid you cry. That's showing the wrong kind of character round these parts.

The right kind of character is acting like you don't care and treat it all like a whimsical game. Yeah, wayyyyyy better. Can't wait for the next wheelie.

They are racing toys..:)

I get a kick out of the Sagan or not thread everytime I see his name...

Sagan coolly deflects the pressure that comes at the top.

“If you are good, you are good,” Sagan said with a shrug. “If you are bad, you will always have critics. It is my life, not the journalists.’”

http://www.velonews.com/2018/03/news/de-ronde-sagan-vs-gilbert-vs-van-avermaet_461139

glepore
03-27-2018, 08:01 AM
I'm a little perplexed at the reaction to Viv here and at other forums. He was gutted in part because the entire team had spilled their guts out (particularly Gilbert) to set him up and he didn't deliver. Yeah, it was a bit extreme, but he's an emotional guy and was ripped after something like 260k on the bike. Cut him a little slack. He was classy afterwards about Sagan just being the better guy on Sunday.