PDA

View Full Version : Where do PRs come from?

cloudguy
03-24-2018, 09:58 PM
I'm 46. Its March. I rode a pretty hard climb (2800 ft.) on Thursday and felt pretty good but I was much slower than I normally ride - chalked it up to winter weight and early season form. Go out today and snag a PR on a long slog of a climb (36 to Ward General Store, for those who know the ride). My previous PR on this climb was in Sept. 2012. Funny thing is I had really bad cramp for the first hour of the climb, but my legs just wouldn't let me slow down. The temperature was perfect, but there was really no tailwind to speak of. Its a mystery as to where this ride came form. My fastest time last year on this climb was more than 5 minutes slower.

pdlpsher
03-25-2018, 01:00 AM
The new pavement should help some. Do you use a power meter? The power data would provide some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher
03-25-2018, 01:03 AM
I just realized that the new pavement was there last year. Assuming there’s no wind assistance you must be putting out a lot more power today. The weather is beautiful today. I rode part of 36 today (St. Vrain to 66).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fignon's barber
03-25-2018, 06:20 AM
If you knew the answer, you'd be rich.

ergott
03-25-2018, 09:07 AM
That's the difference between perceived effort and actual power output. Not important to everyone, but if you train seriously, a power meter will sort that out. Otherwise, just enjoy the ride.

FlashUNC
03-25-2018, 09:10 AM
Strava can do a side by side comparison or your PR with other efforts over a segment. Maybe that has some insight?

ripvanrando
03-25-2018, 09:34 AM
2012 to 2018. We get better as we age. :)

If this was an 80 minute climb, 5 minutes is only 6% more power.

Better training? Weight loss? Better pacing?

nmrt
03-25-2018, 09:56 AM
I was on the same ride. Did not pass anyone on the ride nor did anyone pass me. But at that last climb up to Ward, I heard the sound of a crankset and chain approaching me from behind, fast, really fast. In a split second I was passed as if I was standing still. I looked hard to see who it was. It was an older gentleman in his 60s (?) riding a upright commuter bicycle. That damn bike was electric and he whisked away at that 14% gradient. I could not catch him. And he sure must have had a PR that day.

So, was that you? :banana:
And was the PR due to electric? :banana:
Just kidding. But the story is real.

I'm 46. Its March. I rode a pretty hard climb (2800 ft.) on Thursday and felt pretty good but I was much slower than I normally ride - chalked it up to winter weight and early season form. Go out today and snag a PR on a long slog of a climb (36 to Ward General Store, for those who know the ride). My previous PR on this climb was in Sept. 2012. Funny thing is I had really bad cramp for the first hour of the climb, but my legs just wouldn't let me slow down. The temperature was perfect, but there was really no tailwind to speak of. Its a mystery as to where this ride came form. My fastest time last year on this climb was more than 5 minutes slower.