PDA

View Full Version : Bikes hanging by wheels in garage... How to lock them up?

savechief
03-24-2018, 06:18 PM
I have four bikes, and they're all hanging upside down by their wheels in the garage using hooks that are attached to 2x10s. For security purposes, I would like to be able to lock them up, but without making it a complete pain for me to get them down, which I do just about every day. I have some ideas but I'm looking for some more. What do you think a good system would be for locking up the bikes?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cicli
03-24-2018, 06:20 PM
I have four bikes, and they're all hanging upside down by their wheels in the garage using hooks that are attached to 2x10s. For security purposes, I would like to be able to lock them up, but without making it a complete pain for me to get them down, which I do just about every day. I have some ideas but I'm looking for some more. What do you think a good system would be for locking up the bikes?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Keep them in the dining room?

fa63
03-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Lock them all with a cable through the wheels and frames? A thief is not going to take all four at the same time (though cables are not that hard to cut through with the right tools, but it would at least be a deterrent).

bobdenver1961
03-24-2018, 07:01 PM
My bikes are in the garage hanging from hooks also. We have accidentally left the garage door open a couple of times while we were gone and all night once about a year ago. Nothing was stolen but I can't rely on that luck continuing.

I was looking at short bike cables attached to an eye hook in the ceiling for each bike with a combination lock. (I think you can buy a pack of locks with all the same combination or key.)

Not foolproof but better than nothing.

Running one cable through all the bikes just seems like a big hassle.

Bob

smontanaro
03-24-2018, 07:01 PM
Also, thick cables and big padlocks are pretty inexpensive. Use two or three.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
03-24-2018, 07:02 PM
One chain around all the rafters. Individual U-locks to each frame and through the chain.

Tony T
03-24-2018, 07:05 PM

Get 4 cables and 4 key-aliked padlocks (or combination locks that you can set with your own code) and run the cable through the 2x10's

steelbikerider
03-24-2018, 07:24 PM
I screwed 2 large eye bolts into the wall studs and ran cables thru the eye bolt and frame and locks. Takes about 10 seconds to unlock. I also did the same for wheels and use a u lock to secure them.
It probably won't stop a determined thief with tools but it prevents them from riding away if someone forgets to close the garage door.

TBLS
03-25-2018, 05:37 AM
I use a cable routed thru hook in 2x10 to secure 2 bikes. Won't stop a prepared thief but deterrent

I 'made' a longer cable - they sell it by the foot and the hardware at the local hardware store. I bought the thickest gauge. Ask to use their tool to crimp the cable clamp or use a vise.

marciero
03-25-2018, 06:14 AM
I also use cable through rafters, with series of cables connecting bikes together and regular coil locks to connect the cable ends. Some bikes are hanging from hooks and others on the floor so is not always neat. They could saw through rafters but would still have to steal mutliple bikes, including at least one tandem. Not bolt-cutter proof. The bikes in current rotation, being worked on, or favored for some reason are stored inside.

C40_guy
03-25-2018, 09:43 AM
In addition to the heavy cable lock, I’d also install a motion triggered light. A light turning on when a potential thief enters might be enough to deter further activity. A portable radio on a motion activated outlet might provide additional deterrence (or annoyance, depending on the radio station selected...)

Good outside lighting is important, and bright, solar powered, motion activated lights are fairly cheap.

And a small motion activated Wi-Fi camera could send you a notification that something is happening...and potentially help identify the thief.

Bradford
03-25-2018, 10:31 AM
I use the coated Kryptonite cables pulled through a metal loops from Home Depot that I mounted to a beam. I have U locks, so I use them for the actual locking mechanism.

My bikes are in my garage, right near my tools, so I'm only trying to stop someone from a grab and run. Anybody who really wants the bikes, and has time rummage through my garage, could just use my angle grinder to cut through whatever defenses I put up, so I'm not going to stop someone with time and determination. I did, however, dab some epoxy in the screws that attach the screws to the wood, just so they can't grab the screw gun and pop them out if a few seconds. If you want my bikes, you need to bring some knowledge and effort or you are SOL.

The other defense I have is that I only have metal bikes. These days, it is distinctly possible that a thief would look at a bunch of metal bikes and just move on because they don't want antiques.

Hellgate
03-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Cables and 2x4 will not slow a thief down at all. A good set of bolt cutters and they are through in seconds. Look up theft videos. Keep the doors locked, bikes out of sight, and have a good insurance policy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

smontanaro
03-25-2018, 12:08 PM
Cables and 2x4 will not slow a thief down at all.

I don't think anybody responding to this thread thinks cables and rafters will stop a determined thief. If someone knows what you've got and how it's secured, and they want it, they will just show up with the proper tools.

OTOH, I suspect many thefts are crimes of opportunity, so the thieves may well not be well-equipped. Like others, I keep the nice bikes in my basement. I also have several other bikes in my garage which aren't secured, so thieves might well just grab the easiest stuff. Oh, and almost everything is steel, older than mid-80s, probably not of interest to many thieves, as an earlier commenter indicated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rePhil
03-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Besides locks, I am looking for an simple audible alarm that will go off when the door is opened.

Any ideas?

SleepyCyclist
03-25-2018, 01:20 PM
https://www.chamberlain.com/smartphone-control-products/smartphone-connectivity

Just installed this. Very easy and can be configured to send an alert whenever the garage door opens.

C40_guy
03-25-2018, 02:14 PM
Besides locks, I am looking for an simple audible alarm that will go off when the door is opened.

Any ideas?

Dog?

rePhil
03-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Had one, my best,buddy. Sadly we lost him last month.

Back on topic. We have a house alarm, but have been told the workshop is a bit too far away to be consistently dependable. Still not giving up, but a simple alarm would probably do it. Workshop=No windows, strong door, good deadbolt,motion sensor light, cable locks, pedals/ a wheel off the ones I don't ride much. I don't leave bikes in view, or share what I have with strangers.

Dog?

echelon_john
03-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Check out Blink security cameras/alarms. Perfect for this scenario as long as your wifi reaches out there.

https://blinkforhome.com

As others have said, any kind of pro will get through any kind of chain/cable, so video + alarm is good additional deterrence.

bart998
03-25-2018, 03:40 PM
I use chains that I bought at Lowe's (by the foot) and covered with old inner-tubes that I lock around the beams the bikes are hanging from. I only use the chains if I am out of town overnight or longer. But, I also have a Simplisafe home alarm with switches on the garage doors and a motion detector. I love my bikes.

Tony T
03-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Another camera option is Reolink (https://reolink.com)