PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth earphones: Bose Truly Free 'ripoffs'?

jh_on_the_cape
03-23-2018, 10:54 AM
NOTE: not biking with headphones so don't bring it up. These are for the gym and for trail running.

I bought my wife some Bose Soundsport bluetooth headphones, the kind with the wire across the back of the neck. On sale for $99 and they are really nice. I want some now so I clicked over to amazon.

And I went down a rabbit hole. The backwire kind or the 'truly free' without any wire which are $200? Or the Jaybird version?
I don't want to spend that much, since I will probably lose or break these and since they are for excercising, I don't need amazing sound. There are a plethora of copycats on amazon for $30 to $50. Anyone have any experience with those, either with a the wire or truly free? Of course they have great reviews but I almost don't trust them anymore. I would just get some but don't want to throw $50 down the toilet.

If you have an experience with any of them, advice is really appreciated. I have not been running without music because I don't like carrying my phone. I just ordered one of the Mighty players, so would like some headphones. I am going to borrow my wife's for now, but I know that's short term and will just spoil me anyway!

Thanks!

trener1
03-23-2018, 11:13 AM
I am not sure if you are looking for just Bose, but I picked up a pair of Sony's at Best Buy that work well.
I mainly use them on the trainer.

benb
03-23-2018, 11:15 AM
It's a lot simpler to just say the hell with it and use the free wired Apple/Samsung ones you probably already have.

Pretty much all of the Bluetooth ones have something wrong with them or some weird inconvenience, and if you're out running and stuff you probably don't need/care about "audiophile quality", which is kind of an oxymoron with Bluetooth anyway.

For sure the cord can be annoying running though.

I have a pretty sensitive ear for this kind of thing... we used to have a headphone shop nearby, I went in one day and tried all of their high end earbuds up to about the $250 range. These were all wired and I thought almost all of them sounded like trash so there was no point in buying any of them versus using whatever I had for free.

I later bought a set of Audio Technica Balanced Armature in-ears and they were maybe $150 and they were better than anything at the headphone shop but they still weren't jaw dropping, and worse than almost any over-the-ear headphone at half the price. I don't use them that often, probably a waste of money. They take longer to put in than cheap ones and they hurt your situational awareness more. (They block out so much noise they can pretty much function as earplugs and make noise cancelling kind of unnecessary.)

jh_on_the_cape
03-23-2018, 11:19 AM
I am referring to something like this, junk or not?

https://smile.amazon.com/Soundmoov-316T-Wireless-Earbuds-Charging/dp/B071WZ4C32/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TA0FQECGWS9DVZXSDSPS

C40_guy
03-23-2018, 11:23 AM
I've bought several pairs of these over the years, all still in use (family members).

Bluetooth connection.

Decently priced, around $50 on amazon. Waterproof, pretty good sound, can be used for music and phone. Good battery life (7-8 hours), stays on the head and in the ear. No issues.

Edit: jh, next time you want to go trail running, give me a holler! I can give you a tour of the 1100 acres of singletrack in my backyard, and I'm sure you've got some favorite trails in your neighborhood!

parris
03-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Do you find that they stay in the ear well? They look interesting.

jh_on_the_cape
03-23-2018, 11:59 AM
you got it. cape cod trail race is April 8, but we are still skiing through mid april. that course, or parts of it, are my usual run/ride.
http://www.capecodtrailrace.com/

Edit: jh, next time you want to go trail running, give me a holler! I can give you a tour of the 1100 acres of singletrack in my backyard, and I'm sure you've got some favorite trails in your neighborhood!

trener1
03-23-2018, 12:15 PM
This one looks decent.
https://www.radioshack.com/collections/headphones/products/puregear-pureboom-bluetooth-earbuds?utm_campaign=2018-03-23+PureGear+Pure+Boom+Sale+%28LzTiAV%29&utm_medium=email&_ke=aGdldHpAbWUuY29t&utm_source=E-16

old fat man
03-23-2018, 12:25 PM
This one looks decent.
https://www.radioshack.com/collections/headphones/products/puregear-pureboom-bluetooth-earbuds?utm_campaign=2018-03-23+PureGear+Pure+Boom+Sale+%28LzTiAV%29&utm_medium=email&_ke=aGdldHpAbWUuY29t&utm_source=E-16

I bought something like those, Phaiser brand from Amazon for like $20. They're great for what they are - cheap, sweat proof bluetooth headset that can also be a hands free option for calls. I like them at the gym, when I'm running, or when I'm traveling for business.

mistermo
03-23-2018, 01:30 PM
I bought some wireless-I've forgotten the brand- at Best Buy for around $60ish and thought they sucked. Bad audio quality.

I bought some of these at Amazon and have been very happy. FAR better, plus cheaper. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G8JO5F2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ceolwulf
03-23-2018, 05:14 PM
I don't want to spend that much, since I will probably lose or break these and since they are for excercising, I don't need amazing sound.

Anker Soundbuds Slim. Cheap as chips and sound way better than they have any right to. I use mine sometimes eight hours a day. Pretty comfortable bearing in mind of course earphone comfort is a very individual thing.

mcfarton
03-23-2018, 06:04 PM
I think that my mighty is the bees knees. I have used it on the trainer and out running.

I have a pair of the senso headphones and I am happy with them. They are the nicest pair I have had. I go through about 1 pair every year because I abuse them at work. If you have prime just check the return policy and try something, I don’t think that spending more for this will get you more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kppolich
03-23-2018, 06:36 PM
You should have given these a try
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075MC85DH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

glepore
03-23-2018, 06:37 PM
The ankers are truly fine for casual listening and NPR/podcasts. If you're running or lifting or god forbid biking, having a set of Shure quality earbuds isn't going to matter, too much ambient and other sensory distraction. Does anyone ever really "listen" to music anymore? I mean, I have literally piles of high end audio gear and speakers lying around that I dearly love, but finding the time to sit in a chair when I'm not otherwise occupied or engaged in conversation with someone else is nil. Maybe when I'm 85...

jh_on_the_cape
03-26-2018, 02:49 PM
thanks for the suggestions
how do you feel about the wired wireless vs the truly wireless (no neck wire)?
jaybird x3 vs jaybird run (or any other brand)
but the copycat ones
for example
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Earphones-Charging-Headphones/dp/B078V6K14C/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1522093709&sr=1-3&keywords=jaybird+run&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

I will probably just get some and see how they do

jmoore
03-26-2018, 04:53 PM
Aukey is the answer. I got mine for $20. Universally good reviews, and inexpensive.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/aukey-bluetooth-earbuds-deal,news-25659.html

glepore
03-26-2018, 05:49 PM
good lord, I hate those ads masquerading as a review site

makoti
03-26-2018, 06:59 PM
Jaybird X3. Two pairs. One for the gym, one for where ever else I go. I like them a lot.

tlittlefield
03-27-2018, 08:44 AM
I get mine at Home Goods, they have some near the check-outs. Usually about $12, Bluetooth with the wire across the back of the neck. They have various brands but they all are about the same. The sound quality is good enough for the windtrainer which is what I use them for.

You are on The Cape and I believe there is a Homegoods in Hyannis.

ptourkin
03-27-2018, 09:13 AM
Anker Soundbuds Slim. Cheap as chips and sound way better than they have any right to. I use mine sometimes eight hours a day. Pretty comfortable bearing in mind of course earphone comfort is a very individual thing.

This. Highly rated. I'm very happy with them too. YMMV. There are versions just above that people like too.