PDA

View Full Version : Belt Drive for All: VeerCycle Belt Drive System That Doesn't Require A Special Frame

MaraudingWalrus
03-22-2018, 06:57 PM
Here's (https://cyclingindustry.news/veercycle-pinned-concept-seeks-to-open-belt-drive-to-the-masses/) a link to a CyclingIndstry.News article about them.

Here (https://www.veercycle.com/) is their website.

Basically, the belt comes split open, and once installed on the bike is pinned together over a large portion of its length. This removes the requirement of a specially designed frame being required. It is not designed to be opened and closed repeatedly. So, ride until it's worn out (a billion miles from now) and then replace.

They're super responsive; I messaged back and forth with them a couple of times. They have considerably more options than listed on their website right now; they have "chainrings" for 104 bcd (mtb) and 130 bcd. They have rear cogs for 9spline shimano freehub bodies and are testing an english threaded fixed cog as well as a Rohloff cog. Testing a few other "chainring" options currently as well

I personally love Belt Drive bikes, and can't wait to get my hands on this. Will be converting my Raleigh Macaframa to this system once I find a 130 bcd crankset I dig - I checked and my Rotor Track cranksets don't have a spider that is removable and replaceable with a Rotor 130 spider.

on a related note....anybody got any 130bcd cranksets they don't want? I'll make a deal on some rotors also...

stien
03-23-2018, 05:12 AM
Oh man. My cargo bike with Bosch mid drive needs a belt drive so badly. I emailed them.

AngryScientist
03-23-2018, 05:22 AM
they should start making engine timing belts like this so i dont have to take half the engine compartment apart to replace one!

Pastashop
03-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Neat, but $349 = 10 conventional chain drive trains, at least. If it lasts 2x the normal chain, I’m not sure the longevity value prop is there yet. Maybe I’m missing what the awesomeness factor is for running a belt drive?..

MaraudingWalrus
03-23-2018, 08:10 AM
Neat, but $349 = 10 conventional chain drive trains, at least. If it lasts 2x the normal chain, I’m not sure the longevity value prop is there yet. Maybe I’m missing what the awesomeness factor is for running a belt drive?..

Wouldn't say it's ten conventional chain drive trains. Perhaps ten chains, yes...but not ten of equivalent parts. You're not going to buy ten chains, cogs, chainrings, and singlespeed tensioners at that price.

A gates belt is normally about $85-95 or so by itself. About three chains, if you're buying ultegra-ish stuff. Less if you're buying fancy fancy stuff.

They're quieter, require less maintenance, generally parts do last quite a bit longer (sometimes multiple tens of thousands of miles on the belts) so you may get back savings, but also they're different and interesting. Why buy >90% of the stuff we see on the forum?

Edit: looks like a replacement belt for this system is about $65. Way less than 10x the price of a chain!

stien
03-23-2018, 09:41 AM
I'm looking to use this in sandy/salty/wet New England daily without having to clean my chain every single ride. If this is works I'll be stoked.

tumbler
03-23-2018, 11:52 AM
Nice. I hope it works. I'd love to stick this on an old frame for tooling around.

Drmojo
03-23-2018, 01:51 PM
I am with Walrus on this
big belt fan here
for SO many reasons

NHAero
03-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Do we know if these Veer belts are compatible with the Gates pulleys?

ORMojo
03-23-2018, 03:15 PM
Do we know if these Veer belts are compatible with the Gates pulleys?

I'm guessing not, since the Gates belts have an 11mm tooth pitch and the Veer belts have 8mm pitch.

Also, for those excited about using the Veer system to retrofit, keep in mind Gates' comments on frame stiffness: "If the rear triangle of a frame is too flexible, it is possible that frame deflection can result in tooth jumping, accelerated wear, drivetrain noise, or in extreme cases, belt derailment. Excessively high rear triangle stiffness can result in an uncomfortable ride."

All that said, I have loved the belt drive bikes I've had, and will definitely consider a Veer retrofit myself.

radsmd
03-23-2018, 03:32 PM
Use the Gates system as the timing belt on our tandems. Love how they are quiet, light, and maintenance free.

This gives much more flexibility and opens up more/new applications. I like it.

Pastashop
03-23-2018, 06:00 PM
Anyone know how these systems perform in the wet?.. What are the losses like due to friction / hysteresis?

(My limited understanding was that carbon reinforced composites can degrade faster in a humid environment, unless very well sealed off. (To anticipate one possible counterexample, most CFC boat hulls are coated pretty well, plus they’re not in use for that long, I think.) These belts seem rather exposed.)

Drmojo
03-24-2018, 09:04 AM
Anyone know how these systems perform in the wet?.. What are the losses like due to friction / hysteresis?

(My limited understanding was that carbon reinforced composites can degrade faster in a humid environment, unless very well sealed off. (To anticipate one possible counterexample, most CFC boat hulls are coated pretty well, plus they’re not in use for that long, I think.) These belts seem rather exposed.)

100 miles so far in rain and mud
NO isssues with the belt

stien
04-17-2018, 08:49 PM
I emailed Veer and they said they’re working on Bosch cogs which I need for my cargo bike. Also wondering if I should put a belt on the timing side of my Paketa tandem.

thirdgenbird
04-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Well, that settles it, my Yeti ARC-X isn’t going anywhere.

The bike is keeping it’s Campagnolo setup for now, but I’ve debating selling my yeti and singular and replacing them with a single disc bike with multiple (700c/650b) wheelsets/tires. I still may consider a disc frame, but now I can make an excuse to keep the yeti around as a practical belt-drive commuter.

kevinvc
04-18-2018, 10:28 AM
This sounds really cool. I'm willing to wait a couple of years to see some real world reports, but this could very well be the final nudge I need to go to a belt drive system.

Just this morning on my ride in to work I was noticing that my chain is squeaking so loud that, in my friend's words, it sounds like I've got a pocketful of baby chicks. Commuting every day year round in the Pacific Northwest wears out parts fast. It's largely my fault for not wiping down the chain every single day, cleaning the cassette weekly, etc. It's precisely because of my laziness that a belt drive would be really nice.

Putting this on my Fargo sounds divine.

radsmd
04-18-2018, 12:02 PM
I emailed Veer and they said they’re working on Bosch cogs which I need for my cargo bike. Also wondering if I should put a belt on the timing side of my Paketa tandem.

Yes. Definitely. Not sure what the spacing on the Paketa is, but check out the Gates tandem timing system.

93KgBike
04-18-2018, 12:02 PM
That tech is used on grain threshers and grain dryers; much much bigger, of course.

sashae
04-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Any further usage reports on these guys? I’m looking to use one on an Aldine commuter setup...

tuscanyswe
04-13-2019, 01:49 AM
Seem like it needs a chain tensioner tho? Thats a shame imo, well only for the use that i would like to implement it on, making a clean light ss set up. But will be usefull for a lot of bike types (that i dont ride).

sashae
04-13-2019, 03:28 AM
I don’t think it’s mandatory - the belts are custom cut to length for the bike they’ll be run on.

tuscanyswe
04-13-2019, 04:43 AM
I don’t think it’s mandatory - the belts are custom cut to length for the bike they’ll be run on.

Possibly you are right i just figured why post a pic with one if you dont really need it?

Edit: Hmm on their website there is a pic of one without so i guess they could work without one. However those pics are of bikes with track ends so may not work with regular drop outs unless tensioner.