PDA

View Full Version : She rides 20,000 miles a year. Really.

Climb01742
03-22-2018, 06:01 PM
I think I have a new hero. Plus, she seems like she'd be a hoot to ride with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=303&v=qqigzj97Vpo

AngryScientist
03-22-2018, 06:19 PM
wow!

good for her. she sounds like she really enjoys her life. very impressive list of accomplishments.

fiamme red
03-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Here's a long interview with her from PLP: https://youtu.be/6155-Tow9nA?t=1s.

gasman
03-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Okay
My rear end hurts just thinking about that many miles.

Good on her for following her passion. She'd be fun to hang out with but not compete against.

weisan
03-22-2018, 07:09 PM
she seems like she'd be a hoot to ride with.

No, she won't, you would totally hate it!

"Hey honey, do you think we can maybe stop at the next town and catch some sleep for a couple of hours?"
- "No, we are not going to do that! Sleep is absolutely optional on this trip."

"Er...Dear, look over there! That's a public bathroom. We can take a quick shower there..."
- "No! We are not wasting any time taking a shower, we gotta keep going!"

"Sunshine, do you think we can maybe stop to take a leak?"
- "You are such a pain! Go ahead and pee in your pants, why stop?"

"My precious, we can take a cab or a bus home once we reach our destination, I am looking forward to it."
- "Are you kiddin' me?! I just got started here. We gonna finish the 30,000 miles tomorrow and then continue on riding home for another 60,000 miles."

CSKeller
03-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Wow! I feel like a slug...I only manage a measily 5-6k a year...on a good year!

hokoman
03-22-2018, 08:41 PM
I have been following her career, ultra events intrigue me... the one thing I have noticed is that her attire has changed from casual tshirts and baggy shorts to what appears like cycling clothes. Looks more comfortable and faster (no extra fabric flapping around in the wind).

bironi
03-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Well if I could fast forward her age to 95, perhaps I could ride to the pub with her. She would likely drink me under the table.

Asudef
03-23-2018, 12:32 AM
She's riding a 1x in that video. Makes me feel better about my 1x basket/city build.

ripvanrando
03-23-2018, 05:43 AM
Strong rider she is. I was on a long climb at 310 watts and she came by me like I was absolutely standing still.

Mr. Pink
03-23-2018, 06:00 AM
OCD on a trust fund.

djg21
03-23-2018, 06:05 AM
I thought this was going to be about one of my new “followers” on Strava.

OtayBW
03-23-2018, 06:08 AM
Interesting that she seems so outside of the bicycling culture - e.g., no conventional clothing. Amazing that she is entirely self-supported. Takes a real kind of mindset to do that....

Pastashop
03-23-2018, 06:25 AM
OCD on a trust fund.

I always wonder how folks can support this lifestyle, where the income is from, etc. I don’t begrudge them — just curious about the “revenue model”, if you will.

echelon_john
03-23-2018, 06:25 AM
What a sad response.

OCD on a trust fund.

Mr. Pink
03-23-2018, 06:27 AM
What a sad response.

Everything in moderation. And, at her age, I had a job. Some people are lucky, I suppose.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2018, 06:31 AM
OCD on a trust fund.

No kidding..almost 55 miles per day, everyday. Say 15 MPH average, 3-4 hours a day, everyday..I like to ride a bike but....no thanks.
:)

ripvanrando
03-23-2018, 06:39 AM
No kidding..almost 55 miles per day, everyday. Say 15 MPH average, 3-4 hours a day, everyday..I like to ride a bike but....no thanks.
:)

I think her training log would be more lumpy. Like riding 2100 miles to the start of the Tour Divide and then doing what 2600 miles in 17 days shaving 3 days off the record or riding 3500 miles to the start of TABR and then 8,600 miles back home to Alaska.

I wonder how she would have faired in UCI type racing. I do not know what elite woman put out but I suspect Lael makes around 4.6-5.0 W/Kg. She is a very strong rider.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1997471/how-lael-wilcox-crushed-tour-divide

Jaybee
03-23-2018, 06:43 AM
Everything in moderation. And, at her age, I had a job. Some people are lucky, I suppose.

I don't know her financial particulars, but I had assumed "sponsors" (Specialized, Revelate, Patagonia all called out on her blog) instead of "trust fund".

Regardless, she has an apparently awesome life for her. I'm happy about that.

Tandem Rider
03-23-2018, 06:57 AM

Maybe she is lucky enough to have a genetic gift of a big motor, and also lucky enough to recognize it, and also lucky to have the psyche to handle the stresses of pursuing one's natural abilities. I think it's great, she's chasing her dreams and making herself happy without hurting anyone else. Her job is to ride her bike very well and make her sponsors look really good, so folks with "real" jobs (disposable income) will buy the sponsors's products.

m_sasso
03-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Employment, in the interview from PLP she mentioned she was working in a pizza shop, does tour guiding and has started a youth cycling program with a friend/partner.

Climb01742
03-23-2018, 07:03 AM
I don't know how she supports herself. But my reaction was, how cool is it that she's found a way to live the life that makes her happy? Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed she keeps her expenses low (eating at gas stations and camping out kinda pushed me toward that conclusion.) I find inspiration in people who've found lives by taking a different road (sometimes literally). I suppose we each see in situations what we're looking for. I see someone I want to cheer for.

DG24
03-23-2018, 07:08 AM
I would suspect there is some level of sponsorship at this point. But she appears to have a fairly committed and focused lifestyle. Odd jobs to fund her riding. Certainly no trust fund. Have to admire and give her credit for that.

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2018/01/05/lael-wilcox-endurance-racing

paredown
03-23-2018, 07:20 AM
Here's a long interview with her from PLP: https://youtu.be/6155-Tow9nA?t=1s.
Watched most of this last night--what a lovely soul.

I especially liked that she is working with young girls to get them out on their bikes.

ptourkin
03-23-2018, 07:29 AM
OCD on a trust fund.

You want to post some citations for that? She was working at a pizza place in Tucson and finding time to climb Mt. Lemmon this winter.
She had some support from Specialized for the Trans Am but it was mostly just a bike. She is extremely frugal. Double Tour Divide was done on a shoe string.

Bitter and jealous is a bad look.

roguedog
03-23-2018, 07:45 AM
If you watch the PLP video, her environs do not speak trust fund. Looks like a small, moderate apartment. I was wondering about events like Trans Am, is there any prize money?

I always think it's kinda of wonderous luck for someone to find their thing and then able to live that passion to Tandem Rider's point.

Btw, I love PLP. Love that it's not marketing driven and it's different and real.

fa63
03-23-2018, 07:53 AM
It is amazing how little one can learn to live off of, if you choose the right location and don’t have kids.

Great story, she seems happy doing what she loves.

Climb01742
03-23-2018, 08:01 AM
How often do our comments about a subject or person wind up saying more about us than the subject or person? Thank you, folks, for posting the PLP and NPR links. She really is riding the road less traveled. Not an easy road. Yay her.;)

p nut
03-23-2018, 08:29 AM
I used to read her world travels with her partner, Nick, on their blog:

https://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/

She's definitely put in her time, riding, day in and day out. And natural talent helps, too. Very gifted athlete.

ripvanrando
03-23-2018, 09:06 AM
I recently read a financial rendering of a 3 year RTW bicycle odyssey. It was about $25 total cost per day. How hard is that to save? Not very.

I spent some years in my early adulthood travelling to far flung parts of the globe on my bicycle during a time many thought I should have been working. I never spent more than 10 bucks per day on average.

It is nice to know that that free spirits are still out there.

I trust that Lael works and saves to fuel the next adventure.

To those who think Tour Divide is not a race......line up and give it a go.

Mr. Pink
03-23-2018, 10:11 AM
You want to post some citations for that? She was working at a pizza place in Tucson and finding time to climb Mt. Lemmon this winter.
She had some support from Specialized for the Trans Am but it was mostly just a bike. She is extremely frugal. Double Tour Divide was done on a shoe string.

Bitter and jealous is a bad look.

Sigh.

I'm enjoying life, not bitter. But, really, riding my bike every single day, regardless of weather or other obligations? C'mon. But, I've encountered this thing in this forum before. There may be some who do just that, and sacrifice the rest of a normal life for it. You know, friends, to start.
And this pizza joint thing. Really? In Arizona? Isn't that a little far from Alaska? And, if it's anything like skiing, the "sponsorship" is probably just a free bike, which don't pay the damn rent. And food. Lord, her calorie intake must be massive. Lots of food.

I admire a well balanced life. Make friends, they're much more valuable than anything else.

Marc40a
03-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Mr. Pink, you obviously have little clue of what you're talking about.

I've been following her story for a couple years.

She and her partner travel the globe, get to a location, she gets a job (or two), saves up and plans the next destination.

She has a network of friends all over the world. She's remarked that's one of the most rewarding aspects of her lifestyle.

To quote Ron Burgundy, she's "Kind of a big deal"

ripvanrando
03-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Wow. Just wow.

Sigh.

I'm enjoying life, not bitter. But, really, riding my bike every single day, regardless of weather or other obligations? C'mon. But, I've encountered this thing in this forum before. There may be some who do just that, and sacrifice the rest of a normal life for it. You know, friends, to start.
And this pizza joint thing. Really? In Arizona? Isn't that a little far from Alaska? And, if it's anything like skiing, the "sponsorship" is probably just a free bike, which don't pay the damn rent. And food. Lord, her calorie intake must be massive. Lots of food.

I admire a well balanced life. Make friends, they're much more valuable than anything else.

gdw
03-23-2018, 10:36 AM
It's her life and she seems happy with the way she has chosen to lead it. Isn't that what we all want?

Mr. Pink
03-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Then somebody's fibbing about the 20,000. Just not possible with a life sustaining job.

It's ok, I see this all the time in the ski world I live in most winters. Some people want you to believe that they need to work, or, basically, are just like you. But, they arent. But, that's cool. Just don't try to tell me otherwise.

ptourkin
03-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Mr. Pink, you obviously have little clue of what you're talking about.

I've been following her story for a couple years.

She and her partner travel the globe, get to a location, she gets a job (or two), saves up and plans the next destination.

She has a network of friends all over the world. She's remarked that's one of the most rewarding aspects of her lifestyle.

To quote anchorman, she's "Kind of a big deal"

This. Nicholas is not her partner anymore but she stays with friends. There is actually a small group of bike people who were/are in Tucson working and living frugally to do what they love.

Lael is a badass with a lot of friends.

And Christ, why would she lie? This is pathetic. We all watched her Spot for many of these epics. She didn't even tell anyone she headed up for a second TD - she just did it with no publicity.

Marc40a
03-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Then somebody's fibbing about the 20,000. Just not possible with a life sustaining job.

It's ok, I see this all the time in the ski world I live in most winters. Some people want you to believe that they need to work, or, basically, are just like you. But, they arent. But, that's cool. Just don't try to tell me otherwise.

Keep guessing, dude.

Though, I do admire your skepticism. Seriously... the world needs more of it.

I'm pretty sure she's the real deal, though.

thegunner
03-23-2018, 10:47 AM
i know of at least one person (good cat 1) who put in close to 20,000 miles a year and works a full time job, so i don't know why it's so outlandish to believe that she could do the same in a climate that supports year-round riding.

Marc40a
03-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Here's a great interview/podcast from a couple years ago. Fantastic listen. It's hard not to love her.

https://player.fm/series/outdoor-explorer/a-conversation-with-lael-wilcox

tuscanyswe
03-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Considering this guy did manage almost 4x the distance in a year i dont see this as even close to "impossible" with a job. Its about prioroties and interest as most else in life.
https://www.bicycling.com/rides/people/kurt-searvogel-breaks-the-year-mileage-record

Heck one could ride that distance almost on the work alone if you are courier (tho youd have to get some crappy jobs .) )

ripvanrando
03-23-2018, 11:01 AM

I rode 15,000 and a few dollars one year and if had not sustained an injury, would have been close to 20k miles.

ptourkin
03-23-2018, 12:36 PM
i know of at least one person (good cat 1) who put in close to 20,000 miles a year and works a full time job, so i don't know why it's so outlandish to believe that she could do the same in a climate that supports year-round riding.

I had a friend go over 21k miles/1.5m ft last year while working full time.

AngryScientist
03-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Mr. Pink - shame on you.

This thread should be about a woman who is wildly accomplished in the cycling discipline. The actual numbers are really immaterial, but watching any of those interviews it is clear she has a passion for cycling and fitness that is impressive to say the least. Her list of accomplishments in ultra endurance events speaks for itself.

to make baseless assumptions about how she funds such accomplishments or completely baseless assumptions about how many friends she has or the otherwise quality of her life is unbecoming of you, and really demeaning.

it wreaks of "i cant do it, so there is no way she can either".

as they say in the Navy - stow that poop.

edit:

to qualify my post above -

negativity annoys me.

you take a story and interview which is overwhelmingly positive and find some [assumed] negative aspects to dwell on. what good does that do you, or anyone?

echelon_john
03-23-2018, 12:58 PM
A-effing-men.

I've been trying to figure out what to say about Mr. P's post since reading the initial one, then the follow up 'defense.'

Thanks, Nick, for stating what I was thinking much more politely and diplomatically than I've been able to muster.

Mr. Pink - shame on you.

This thread should be about a woman who is wildly accomplished in the cycling discipline. The actual numbers are really immaterial, but watching any of those interviews it is clear she has a passion for cycling and fitness that is impressive to say the least. Her list of accomplishments in ultra endurance events speaks for itself.

to make baseless assumptions about how she funds such accomplishments or completely baseless assumptions about how many friends she has or the otherwise quality of her life is unbecoming of you, and really demeaning.

edit:

negativity annoys me.

you take a story and interview which is overwhelmingly positive and find some [assumed] negative aspects to dwell on. what good does that do you, or anyone?

gasman
03-23-2018, 01:17 PM
It's a different life, one that I couldn't live yet I've met several climbers who led a similar life. One that comes to mind is Fred Becky who died at age 94 last year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Beckey

I met him in the 70's-all he did was climb. He wrote several guidebooks and barely ever worked yet made 100's of first ascents. The movie Dirtbag is about his life. He was so frugal he would keep the same McDonald's coffee cup for months because you could get free refills if you brought the cup in.
He's a photo of him ice climbing at around age 83.

He wasn't sponsored, lived on nothing but climbed for almost 70 years. Just because we can't do/imagine it doesn't mean it's not possible.

54ny77
03-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Man oh man, how petty can your statements be? Perhaps do something to improve your own situation &/or outlook in life if you find the need to rag on someone who rides TWENTY THOUSAND MILES A YEAR on a bike, regardless of how they pay for it.

Keep in mind, there will always be someone richer, faster & smarter than you.

peanutgallery
03-23-2018, 01:53 PM
20k in year is nothing, 86k per annum on the same 7 mile course has me scratching my head

http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/from-the-mag/qa-mileage-world-record-holder-amanda-coker_448158

joosttx
03-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Man oh man, how petty can your statements be? Perhaps do something to improve your own situation &/or outlook in life if you find the need to rag on someone who rides TWENTY THOUSAND MILES A YEAR on a bike, regardless of how they pay for it.

Keep in mind, there will always be someone richer, faster & smarter than you.

You forgot happier. :)

Tandem Rider
03-23-2018, 03:54 PM
It's all about living life on your own terms and making YOURSELF happy, not anyone else. For a few years in the '80s I trained 18-20k per year and did the cornfield circuit, meaning I cut the mileage back in the spring and summer to do more intervals and build speed. Lived on race winnings, sponsorships, and a part time job, very frugal lifestyle. Fast forward 10ish years, full time job, mortgage, married, etc Mrs TR remarked about the great sacrifices I had made just to try and "make it to the top", I thought about it and told her "it wasn't a sacrifice, it was the way I could live that life and be the best I could be. I didn't lose anything, in fact I gained more than you can imagine". I still feel that way, and I bet Lael will too.

Lael is living her life her way. So is Mr Pink, and Rip, and Ptour, and Angry, and all the rest of us. I hope we are all happy with our choices, or take steps to fix it.

cadence90
03-23-2018, 04:30 PM

What a completely crappy post.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon13.gif.https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon13.gif.https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon13.gif

Mr. Pink - shame on you.

edit:
negativity annoys me.

Bravo, AngryScientist, and thank you.

weaponsgrade
03-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Very impressed - on multiple levels. I'll have to check out the PLP interview. My parents live 15 minutes from Banff. I need to get out there more.

Pastashop
03-23-2018, 05:54 PM
I don’t think it’s too far fetched to ride a lot and lead a balanced life — a matter of priorities and support structures in your life. Jobst Brandt held a good job as an engineer and rode >200 mi on the weekends, plus commuting almost daily, plus >1k trip each summer in the Alps. That’s 10k easily. He had lots of friends, wife, son... I can easily see a young person being able to do this with limited obligations and living in a good climate... And if their body works well naturally, and their mind is focused...

I was just interested in how folks do it. Not that I would want to or be able to, even if I’d won the lottery, but still...

Mr. Pink
03-23-2018, 06:34 PM
I don’t think it’s too far fetched to ride a lot and lead a balanced life — a matter of priorities and support structures in your life. Jobst Brandt held a good job as an engineer and rode >200 mi on the weekends, plus commuting almost daily, plus >1k trip each summer in the Alps. That’s 10k easily. He had lots of friends, wife, son... I can easily see a young person being able to do this with limited obligations and living in a good climate... And if their body works well naturally, and their mind is focused...

I was just interested in how folks do it. Not that I would want to or be able to, even if I’d won the lottery, but still...

Mommy, where's daddy? I missed him all week. I want to play catch with him.
He's has priorities, little boy. And the priority of doing 200 miles a weekend is way more important than you. You'll understand when you're older.
I'm sad mommy.

ripvanrando
03-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Mommy, where's daddy? I missed him all week. I want to play catch with him.
He's has priorities, little boy. And the priority of doing 200 miles a weekend is way more important than you. You'll understand when you're older.
I'm sad mommy.

Mommy sleeps 9 hours and Jr. sleeps 10. Daddy only needs 4-5 hours. 4 am is wonderful on the bike, try it. Think of all the money you'll save on therapy.

Mr. Pink
03-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Careful. Mommy's next.

joosttx
03-23-2018, 06:56 PM
not worth the breathe. please stop.

NHAero
03-23-2018, 07:19 PM
Great interview on PLP. Thanks for posting this thread, what a cool lady!

BobbyJones
03-23-2018, 07:26 PM
20k a year on a bike isn't difficult, neither is living on less.

Choosing your own path without criticism from others seems to be the hardest thing of all.

fa63
03-23-2018, 07:27 PM
Choosing your own path without criticism from others seems to be the hardest thing of all.

Amen.

cadence90
03-23-2018, 07:51 PM
nvm

cinema
03-23-2018, 10:08 PM
it's not so hard. just riding to work at my full time gig i'd post 10k a year commuter miles only. pasadena to hollywood every day, the ride took just a bit longer than driving did during rush hour. but i've slowed down a bit now. i've followed her blog for a few years now, she's relatively new to cycling. i remember at the beginning i was bat**** insane about it, 250-300 miles a week with a full time job.

marciero
03-24-2018, 06:09 AM
it's not so hard. just riding to work at my full time gig i'd post 10k a year commuter miles only. pasadena to hollywood every day, the ride took just a bit longer than driving did during rush hour. but i've slowed down a bit now. i've followed her blog for a few years now, she's relatively new to cycling. i remember at the beginning i was bat**** insane about it, 250-300 miles a week with a full time job.

Agree. The 20,000, though impressive is not what gets my interest. In fact, i passed over this thread until i finally glanced and found out it was about Lael. No question she is total badass. Read a lot about her exploits back around the time she first won tour divide, trans am. Imagine-riding to the race -from Alaska- racing the race, winning the race, including beating the men, riding back... i find these kinds of things incredibly inspiring. Things that force us to re-imagine human potential, capbilities, and spirit. I am similarly inspired by some of the climbers i checked out after reading the recent thread on Jim Bridwell; Alex Honold in particular. As far as lifestyle-is perfect time to pursue this in one's 20's. Some extend longer, some make a career out of adventurer lifestyles by combining with writing, guiding, etc.

Marc40a
03-24-2018, 07:27 AM
I knew I had to dial back my mileage the day my little one asked when her “‘other daddy’ was coming over again?”

mars
03-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Thanks, Climb01742 for posting this. I had the PLP interview bookmarked and finally got a chance to watch it. Inspiring stuff!

I didn't see her personal blog linked in this thread:
https://laelwilcox.com/

hokoman
03-30-2018, 08:05 PM
I just watched the PLP interview. How can you not love her? Especially being on paceline, she's just like the most of us, Russ asked 'what is your dream bike?' and her response is "i love having a new bike" :banana::hello:

brockd15
03-30-2018, 11:05 PM
I also just watched the interview and she's pretty great. Seems like a such a nice, genuine person that the cycling part is just icing on the cake.